Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,133 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya (8456 Views)

Obasanjo Slams FG, Govs, Says Governance Is Weak / Obasanjo Slams Jonathan, Defends Buhari. / Egypt Calls For A Nigeria-Egypt Led Force Against ISIS In Libya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by nduchucks: 11:31am On Sep 02, 2011
velo10:

@nduchucks. you're being unfair if not biased. obj's simply an ex-president. the person who ought to have spoken only spoke thru his Reuben Abati speakerbox when NATO had almost completed their mission

My point remains quite valid and I stand by the post. The fact that we have incompetent people working for GEJ has nothing to do with my post and I agree with you that Abati's statements were ill timed and show naivity in handling foreign affairs.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Bomi(m): 12:46pm On Sep 02, 2011
Every right thinking African should condem the intervention of NATO for whatever reason! The Syrian case is still on and Yemen
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:00pm On Sep 02, 2011
Bomi:

Every right thinking African should condem the intervention of NATO for whatever reason! The Syrian case is still on and Yemen

OK, let me see, how well has the AFRICAN UNION fared in resolving crisis in Africa. Every right thinking African should have daggers at their incompetent and corrupt leaders throats . do you know the scale of deaths that continue to occur in Africa on a daily bases due to religious, political and ethnic violence? If our system has not worked the past 70 years in resolving crisis, you think it will miraculously work for Libya - Please tell me, how do you think the Libyan crisis would have been resolved following the "African Way"
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by 1luvkipsus: 1:03pm On Sep 02, 2011
If there was no 'God', I would have been worshiping OBJ.he's always speaking my mind and never faults.maybe the only time he ever faulted as far as i am concerned was when he endorsed Alao Akala for a second term in Oyo state.Baba, may God grant you long life to continue your good works in the world.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by cap28: 1:17pm On Sep 02, 2011
^^
thats the only time you can think of that he faulted - how about when he borrowed billions of dollars in loans from the world bank and left the tab with the nigerian population when he was the military president of nigeria?
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by 1luvkipsus: 1:33pm On Sep 02, 2011
thats the only time you can think of that he faulted - how about when he borrowed billions of dollars in loans from the world bank and left the tab with the nigerian population when he was the military president of nigeria?

Do u know how old I am? I was less than 2yrs old when Obj was Military head of state, and the simple fact that he willingly handed over power to civilian made him a hero the more.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 02, 2011
All the comments here are very interesting but more interesting are the comments about Libya. It is obvious that there are many brainwashed people in the world and Nigeria has a good share of those. Let's be objective in assessing Libya

Why did France, UK, and the US ask for a UN resolution/intervention?
Obama said "We cannot fold our arms when Col. Gaddafi threatens to kill his people.."

The fear that Gaddafi would commit mass murder and not that Gaddafi has committed mass murder. In other words the UN took a preventive measure.

Did African Union supported intervention in Libya?

YES. Nigeria, South Africa and Gabon voted in support. Only Germany, Russia, china, India and Brasil did not support intervention in Libya.

Is NATO doing more than necessary?

YES. NATO was meant to stop the fighting and prevent advancement of Government troops against Benghazi. However NATO took sides with the rebels and embarked on a regime change in Libya.

What are Gaddafi's crime?

He hasn't committed any major crimes except that his soldiers are accused of killing rebels ( who are considered by the UN as civilians even though they are fully armed)

It is interesting to read comments saying that spending 42 years in government equates to crime. It is not a crime to be in position for 42 years even though western media has been using this to deceive the simple. You can be a prime minister in Britain for as long as your party continues to to control parliament. When you look at the Arab countries most of them are ruled by a King or one "superman." Morocco, Bahrain, UAE, Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Syria etc. I think the idea that democracy is the best form of government has allowed nothing but shallow understanding of governance. Libya under Gaddafi operated a system of government written in Gaddafi's green book and prior to that was ruled by a King. No form of government is better than the other eben the Greeks and the Romans who made democracy a popular system of governance never said it was the best.

Many countries in the world are against NATO pursuing a regime change in Libya and OBJ has a right too to express his feelings. Those who understand the Libyan system under Gaddafi would agree that it worked while it lasts. The current NTC is not also democratic like Gaddafi and ultimately would produce an Islamic Republic of Libya. America and their allies know that Libyans would enjoy less freedom in a post Gaddafi Libya but they are not as concerned about Libya as their interest and I don't blame them.

“They [the dissenters] may be talking about democracy, but the result will be extremism and radical Islam.” - Hosni Mubarak (Former Egyptian President)
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 4:19pm On Sep 02, 2011
@belabela

I would rather call that biased information on the war in Libya. The initial time these countries and NATO called for a truce which Gaddafi rejected feeling pompous. You are expecting Gaddafi(a tyrant) to commit mass murder before you can accept the fact he's an infamous murderer. The ongoing war proves he is capable of anything unpredictable if it meant killing his people.

Germany later supported the intervention, Russia tried to mediate for settle in accordance with AU plan of dialogue, China and Brazil stand were neutrality.

NATO did that based on what transpired of Gaddafi forces. Use of air defense and artillery  to attack Benghazi and the locals. Without such intervention it would have been govt. forces winning the war due to the heavy weaponry they possessed at their disposal.

Gaddafi crimes are killing and imprisonment of innocent citizenry, those who question his regime, dictatorial and authoritarian for over 41 years, sponsoring of terrorist(Lockerbie, German disco club bombing), sponsoring coupe in some African countires(Liberia, Sierra Leone, Congo, Central African Republic,etc) and many more.

I repeat, it's a crime to be in power for 42 years and trying to make sure his posterity take over from him after his death. Large part of the population is no longer interested in him leading the country. Also they want freedom to express themselves. Have you forgotten that he murdered the king and his family to take over the hem of leadership and, it didn't differentiate him from the man he removed from power  for corruption claims.

Yes, OBJ(being an Africa leader in the past) has the right to say what he want about Libya though has not contributed any thing tangible to the reason why Libyans must not have their freedom. NATO intervention is the best alternative and if thought not you should provide a better alternative which the people would accept and Gaddafi as well.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by foufou: 5:11pm On Sep 02, 2011
OBJ treatise on Libya is noted. But he too played NATO in bringing Nigeria to the present sorry state. He refused to support the best materials for the Presidency in 1979 and 1993 (Awolowo and Abiola) who incidentally were his kinsmen and had clues to the socio-political and economic problems bedevilling the country. And in 2007, he imposed an ailing President after the failure of his third term. Revelations at the Senate Privatization Panel are further attestation to his domestic NATO policies!
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 02, 2011
One good thing Abacha did, was that he imprisoned Obasanjo.

Obasanjo should rot in jail for his crimes against Nigeria.

To mention a few of his crimes:

looted an estimated $100bn

mis-managed and closed down our national airline

devalued Naira by 500% at a time of record high oil prices

Gave away Nigerian Land

Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by AfroBlue(m): 5:29am On Sep 03, 2011
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by EagleNest(m): 7:08am On Sep 03, 2011
None of the key characters in the ongoing Libya crises is without blame. If Ghadafi has not stayed too long (42 years) in power with both local, regional(AU) and international image as a dictator perhaps this war would have been averted. Leaders should learn to call it a quit when the ovation is loudest than forcing yourself to stay on power against peoples wish.

NATO to me is a military vehicle for western political and economic interest. If the international law says-national sovereignty should be respected then why should some signatories to the law now flaunt it. Who's fooling who, NATO is not fighting without a vend interest

For OBJ, am not sure he has a moral right to condem and point fingers because he was in the same path as both Ghadafi and NATO. As Ghadafi because he ruled with iron power during his time and as NATO because he made caricature of 2007 election and forced Yar'Adua and many governors on people(e.g Andy Uba was settled to be Governor of Anambra for his service to Obasanjo). It's the same thing NATO is doing.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 11:58pm On Sep 03, 2011
@all4naija

Check your last comment and get a history book. Correlate your claims with facts and see how wanting your points are. You would likely see in historic books that a bloodless coup happened in Libya in 1969.

While most of your allegations are speculative at best ICC wants Gaddafi for the offense I stated earlier and that is that he ordered his soldiers to kill civilians ( the rebels are referred to as civilians in this case whether armed or unarmed)

Germany is a member of NATO and would definitely participate in military operations even though it stated it's national position at the UN before the resolution was passed.

While you are entitled to your opinion that it is okay for NATO to do regime change in other sovereign nations. I know that Libya would turn out to be another Iran. From the cry of freedom to the chains of Religion ( check Iran from 1979 to date)

I know there are people in every country of the world who are not in support of the central government but I only pray that thesame NATO would not one day arm BokoHaram and cause a Libyan scenario in Nigeria
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 3:25am On Sep 04, 2011
^^^^
Jeez!!! I don't just agree with clear-cut statements like that without questioning their authenticity. It's the coupe that brought Muammar Gaddafi to power and it's what I made mention of in my comment concerning the murder of the king and his family and the son who later escaped to States.It is there in the concluding parts of my post.

ICC needs Gaddafi for crime against humanity - Not just for this ongoing war but the crimes he has committed of murdering innocent lives in Lockerbie and German club bombings, sponsor of coupe that ended several thousands of lives in Africa. I think that had been in table for long  before this war escalated and it's like an opportunity to get him easily.

I made it clear that Germany later supported the NATO intervention, as the war advances.

I also know that Libya becoming another Iran is speculation based on hearsay and peripheral evidences, which I think lacked factual evidences and is unacceptable.

Now, you are highly speculating about NATO arming BOKO HARAM in Nigeria through your prayer. I say that because the different between Nigeria and Libyan administration is very wide and palpable. This is same group that is attacking organization like UN which the present administration is part and parcel of.
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by velo10: 6:12am On Sep 04, 2011
all4naija:

^^^^
Jeez!!! I don't just agree with clear-cut statements like that without questioning their authenticity. It's the coupe that brought Muammar Gaddafi to power and it's what I made mention of in my comment concerning the murder of the king and his family and the son who later escaped to States.It is there in the concluding parts of my post.

ICC needs Gaddafi for crime against humanity - Not just for this ongoing war but the crimes he has committed of murdering innocent lives in Lockerbie and German club bombings, sponsor of coupe that ended several thousands of lives in Africa. I think that had been in table for long  before this war escalated and it's like an opportunity to get him easily.

Get facts right. Gadaffi's coup was bloodless. Nobody died. Could you state source for your factrs cos you're simply using fabricated imaginations and rumors to prove ur point
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 04, 2011
^^^^
okay!!!

Bloodless or bloody King idris died in exile in Egypt due to life sentence and some of his family and loyalists murdered by special squads in exile!?Right?I only pointed that out as to what a man people think qualify to be in power did to the man and family he ousted yet want his heir to hold on to the hem of power.

However,that's not actually the issue in question. The issue in question is the NATO intervention in Libya and which I think is the right thing to do. Intervening in a war require many plans of which one failed it resorts to another - the use of dialogue failed and the prevention of mass murdered through attacks of Gaddafi's air defense is only the beginning when they find out that winning the war is through support for the arming of the NTC and rebels.

I know many people are so much in question of the rebel fighters they are what they are as rebels because they are against ruling regime - that doesn't make them terrorists as people are alluding to here. People are quick to conclude upon hearing of the word rebels. Any group opposing a ruling govt. by force is referred to as rebel against the govt. There is no way these people wouldn't have being called just that in the Libyan case and,for that matter in a condition where Gaddaf is willing to stay in power for life.

One thing is for sure, Gaddafi is now using tactics like the Bin Laden to send out messages(mainly audio messages). If I might ask, does that mean he's now recruiting suicides to carry out suicide missions in the future as he's still at larger?
Re: Obasanjo Slams Nato Intervention In Libya by Zwanzig: 1:16am On May 12, 2023
brainpulse:
THIS IS THE SAME REASON WHY Nigerians WILL NOT BE LIBERATED, THAT IS THE SAME REASON WHY WE CAN NOT TAKE OUR DESTINIES INTO OUR OWN HANDS. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BTW OBANSANJO AND GADDAFI, WHEN HE WANTED TO GO FOR THIRD TERM, THEN FOURTH TERM. NIGERIANS HAVE SHORT MEMORY AND THAT IS THE REASON THEY FAIL. THE SAME NIGERIANS KNOWING FULLY WELL THE MOTIVE BEHIND THIRD TERM AND HOW THE ANTI- THIRD LONG TERM CRUSADERS WHERE KILLED, HOW SO MANY RULES OF LAW WERE DISOBEYED COUNTLESS TIME AND THE SAME NIGERIANS CAN STILL COME HERE AND START PRAISING A MAN THAT WHEN GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY WILL DO MORE THAN GADAFFI.
IF NOT FOR THE SAME NATO- ADOLF HITLER OF GERMANY WOULD HAVE LEVELED THE WHOLE AFRICA.
NATO SAVED THE WORLD FROM USSR NUCLEAR POWERS.
NATO SAVED SOUTH KOREA FROM DESTRUCTION FROM NORTH KOREA.
niggar hope u are still alive now to see how "good" Libya is now after the west "liberated" them?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Building Collapses In Abuja Kills Three (Pictures) / Iwuanyanwu Dismisses Igbo Presidency In 2015 / Us, Investors Plan $20bn Power Plant In Katsina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.