Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG (29940 Views)

My Visit To Second Niger Bridge Site Onitsha Anambra State-photos / Lauretta Onochie Shares Aerial View Pictures Of Second Niger Bridge. (pictures) / Fashola Arrives Onitsha, Inspects Work On Second Niger Bridge- Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by TheChameleon: 7:46am On Dec 22, 2022
Yes Okoro flat heads must pay to Nigeria before we grant Biafuro independence in year 5050.

Let's bill them for going Lagos, their Heaven

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by dosage150(m): 7:47am On Dec 22, 2022
Wagwanbrethren:
Governments constantly run a budget deficit, at every level. So for those who might say 'how about tax' no, taxes aren't always enough.

Toll bridges are a little different. Big bridges are incredibly expensive to construct, so the builders need a way to recuperate that enormous loss of cash. Whether the bridge was built by a government, the private sector, or a partnership of the two, projects like that are only viable if they can partially pay for themselves through tolls. For example, the Ambassador Bridge (the busiest crossing on the USA_ Canada states border) is 100% privately owned, and earns the owner about $60,000,000 per year in revenue.
In theory, the tolls pay for repairs, maintenance, and upgrades for the road. In practice, however, abuses occurs. Occasionally the toll money goes to projects besides the road itself. But generally the toll roads are better maintained and thus less wear and tear on.

Truth is, government has to recover part of the cost of making new highways. It must not be forever. After 10 years it should be discontinued.
It depends on how construction and maintenance was financed. Every so often, the taxpayers agree to build a bridge. Other times they may object to the cost and only agree to partial funding. In that case, people using the bridge are charged a toll until the costs are paid off. In some cases, it’s never paid off.

You are just mad, why is other govt infrastructures not tolled except the one in the east?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by gentlesmithugo(m): 7:48am On Dec 22, 2022
post=119340620:
Anything to move our darling nation forward is all we want at [b][/b]

God bless Nigeria
mumulicious mugu

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by TheChameleon: 7:48am On Dec 22, 2022
gozmok1:
They put up tolls on the 2nd Niger Bridge, which is only 1.6km.

The 3rd Mainland Bridge in Lagos is 11.8km with no tolls. One Nigeria?

Gas pipeline from South to North, Niger republic, Mali etc with only one mega station in the North cost 2.1 billion dollars. Some railways in the North cost over one trillion naira, yet somebody had the gut to put tollgate on 1.6km bridge.

Did you now understand where we are coming from??

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by dannie007(m): 7:48am On Dec 22, 2022
Point of Correction!! The Toll will not be discontinued me and you know that. Take Example of Lekki Toll. Our Public Service Officers are thief's forget all this your Grama you typed up there. No transparency in Our Country.

Wagwanbrethren:
Governments constantly run a budget deficit, at every level. So for those who might say 'how about tax' no, taxes aren't always enough.

Toll bridges are a little different. Big bridges are incredibly expensive to construct, so the builders need a way to recuperate that enormous loss of cash. Whether the bridge was built by a government, the private sector, or a partnership of the two, projects like that are only viable if they can partially pay for themselves through tolls. For example, the Ambassador Bridge (the busiest crossing on the USA_ Canada states border) is 100% privately owned, and earns the owner about $60,000,000 per year in revenue.
In theory, the tolls pay for repairs, maintenance, and upgrades for the road. In practice, however, abuses occurs. Occasionally the toll money goes to projects besides the road itself. But generally the toll roads are better maintained and thus less wear and tear on.

Truth is, government has to recover part of the cost of making new highways. It must not be forever. After 10 years it should be discontinued.
It depends on how construction and maintenance was financed. Every so often, the taxpayers agree to build a bridge. Other times they may object to the cost and only agree to partial funding. In that case, people using the bridge are charged a toll until the costs are paid off. In some cases, it’s never paid off.

2 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by TheChameleon: 7:48am On Dec 22, 2022
gozmok1:
According to the report, if I am travelling from Lagos to owerri a distance of 538km , I will pay toll in Benin to asaba, asaba to onitsha via the new constructed bridge and finally pay toll from onitsha to owerri.

But my good friend will leave the same Lagos to Kano about 987km but will only pay toll between lokoja to Abuja.

You see why some of us feel Nigeria is full of injustice.

Mind you, nothing has been recently done on these roads except the New Onitsha bridge. Compared to the Lagos to Kano road that has gulped billions in last 7years.

Imagine me travelling from Benin to Asaba a neighbouring state,I will pay,to lagos,I will pay to lokoja too I will pay. I can't travel out of my state without paying a toll fare. If I want to go further to Onitsha, I will pay twice. To Abuja, I will also pay twice. People see this injustice and turn a blind eye.

When one complains,you see some moronic idiots masturbating with their mouths.

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by godofuck231: 7:49am On Dec 22, 2022
Lollll , Goodluck Jonathan no warn una ? Nigerians will remember him for the freedom they had , una go vote internet sold president , see the animal when don break loose ? Feudal system or Lord over liege, Nigerians now pay taxes to both bandits and APC to stay alive

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by 1gbdata: 7:49am On Dec 22, 2022
cool
Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by ojex004: 7:51am On Dec 22, 2022
Very good development. Let see if children of hate will go burnt down the bridge

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by Bluntemperor: 7:53am On Dec 22, 2022
Wagwanbrethren:

It depends on how construction and maintenance was financed. Every so often, the taxpayers agree to build a bridge. Other times they may object to the cost and only agree to partial funding. In that case, people using the bridge are charged a toll until the costs are paid off. In some cases, it’s never paid off
Brilliant summations!
-The question to the Hon Minister of Works - Fashola is - Have they sat down and do the Cost Benefits Analysis?
- How is the Maintenance going to be and at what Price? Is it for a period or adinfitium! So far it's not becomes a burden to the People!
- Since Nigeria lack Maintenance Culture,who is going to Collect Money and who will be responsible for Maintanaince of this Big Bridge - as a Big Project- without Corruption?
God Bless Nigeria!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by christistruth01: 7:54am On Dec 22, 2022
SmartPolician:
This effectively makes it the only federal infrastructure that its users will pay before using it. Una well done.

I don't blame you people though - I blame Goodluck Jonathan for coming up with the idea - even the almighty 3rd Mainland Bridge in Lagos is not tolled.

The Lagos Ibadan Expressway will be tolled as it used to be too

2 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by Truthdeypain: 7:55am On Dec 22, 2022
johnjose68:

Pele. As usual, you did not read. Na only headline. Meanwhile obi.rodent delegated a question thrown at him. Can you talk about this

Worthless igbophobic slowpoke. I can imagine your joy and Ecstacy, any injustice meted out to IGBOS is always an orgy party for algea gulping demons like you.

You don run divert subject, of course you would never assume to see white and call it white, you are genetically structured that way.

Injutice in Nigeria is justice so long as IGBOS are the victims, make una no worry. We are not deceived we all knew nothing good could come out of all this. Nigeria has never been for the IGBOMAN, projects worth billions of dollars are being executed in the north and west all year round without anyone being forced to pay shishi, yet the only mentionable project in the whole of the East, the actual gateway into the Eastern Nigeria, which is more critical, economically and otherwise is heavily tolled. The One Nigeria singers have never been more out of tune.

How can fellow country men see something like this and jubilate and reinforce injustice, One Nigeria preachers? That rejoice every given often, at the misfortune of IGBOS. Biafra is the solution from this wicked zoo.

3 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by DeLaRue: 7:56am On Dec 22, 2022
MrEverest:

Why not toll Lagos/Ibadan expressway for proper maintenance? Why not toll Abuja/Kaduna highway for proper maintenance?

So, it's only when federal government builds any infrastructure in the SE that they would remember tolling for proper maintenance? SMH.

I have no position on whether or not the Niger bridge should be tolled.

However, the government has already announced that Lagos - Ibadan, Kaduna - Kano, and 4 other major roads will be concessioned and tolled. In fact the shortlisted companies have already been announced. Repairs to the roads just have to be completed first.

2 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by colestephan86: 7:56am On Dec 22, 2022
SmartPolician:
This effectively makes it the only federal infrastructure that its users will pay before using it. Una well done.

I don't blame you people though - I blame Goodluck Jonathan for coming up with the idea - even the almighty 3rd Mainland Bridge in Lagos is not tolled.
Don't be a fool, people pay at the airport parks in Lagos. Does the rail system do free services

2 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by DMerciful(m): 7:57am On Dec 22, 2022
If the Easterners pay toll, they invariably paid for.the bridge which technically means they built it themselves.

Fg did zero for Easterners and this is part of the marginalization we've been talking about.

2023 will be a defining moment
LegendHero:
Good. According to Fashola, Lagos-Ibadan expressway will also be tolled when completed. It’s seems that is their new policy now.

Anyone that do not wish to pay toll at the second Niger bridge should jump into the River Niger and swim across or better still make use of the previous bridge.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by Globad(f): 7:58am On Dec 22, 2022
MrEverest:

Why not toll Lagos/Ibadan expressway for proper maintenance? Why not toll Abuja/Kaduna highway for proper maintenance?

So, it's only when federal government builds any infrastructure in the SE that they would remember tolling for proper maintenance? SMH.

So you didn't read about the plan to toll Lagos Ibadan expressway and a few others? angry

Also think about why there was no outcry like you're doing now when the toll plan was announced for Lagos Ibadan and others.

Victimisation mentality is not good. At all undecided

2 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by DeLaRue: 8:02am On Dec 22, 2022
DMerciful:
If the Easterners pay toll, they invariably paid for.the bridge which technically means they built it themselves.

Fg did zero for Easterners and this is part of the marginalization we've been talking about.

2023 will be a defining moment

There is certainly a justifiable claim of marginalisation to be made here.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by Benwallt(m): 8:02am On Dec 22, 2022
SmartPolician:

You can't compare both. 3rd mainland is within Lagos and not as strategic and economically productive as 2nd Niger that connects larger enclaves.
Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by iezeiyida(m): 8:02am On Dec 22, 2022
Why pay toll undecided

What revenue can they get there that will solve FG's financial struggles.. A very useless government that ought to be really serious in fighting insecurity, improving agricultural productions and solving the problems of oil theft and refining within the country, to generate more revenue and productivity

2 Likes

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by lastchild: 8:03am On Dec 22, 2022
i saw it coming, that these people can never do anything for us for free. they were thanking buhari, not knowing it was just a business he did

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by Khallicopyro: 8:04am On Dec 22, 2022
Wagwanbrethren:

Why are we not paying to use the 1st Niger bridge? Did it's construction not cost the government money?
Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by jcross19: 8:06am On Dec 22, 2022
LegendHero:
Good. According to Fashola, Lagos-Ibadan expressway will also be tolled when completed. It’s seems that is their new policy now.

Anyone that do not wish to pay toll at the second Niger bridge should jump into the River Niger and swim across or better still make use of the previous bridge.

you area dead vulture , no conscience just because you have been feeding from the alter of hatred and blood , just watch out what be of your end!!!
Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by annisy(f): 8:08am On Dec 22, 2022
When those from the south east say they are marginalized some people are quick to ask how!! If the federal government wish to toll the second Niger bridge then all other federal roads or bridges Accross the country should be tolled!!!
You can't build a country with double standards

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by Jeffyblaq(m): 8:11am On Dec 22, 2022
MrEverest:
Hahaha, so after hyping the bridge as the greatest favour done to Igbos since 1960, the people will still be asked to pay for it

Chai, there is God o, using Igbos to play football in Nigeria while some house servants applaud their masters. Are these fools even aware that same federal government built another bridge across the Benue without asking its intended users to pay a dime? Nobody was even asked to worship those that built that even longer bridge across river Benue but Igbos has been harrased and called all sorts of names because of a bridge they must pay to use

Any politician that comes to campaign for APC and mention the second niger bridge as achievement done for Igbos should be stoned!
Likely the move would be cancelled and to be returned after the election.. Just to get the masses votes...

Politicians and their usual gimmicks
Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by MacDani(m): 8:12am On Dec 22, 2022
FG I dey beg una oo! Make una no try em for Anambra because our Bois sabi business pass una... Na only big men Dem go dey pass, poor people like us go dey queue three days we no go pass....

If una fix price na 100 naira, our Bois go turn em too chap chap na 300 naira, quick quick 500 naira, onyesi ompa na 1k, Omo poor people go remain for line like 5 days.
Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by TheChameleon: 8:12am On Dec 22, 2022
ceejay80s:

Fashola this is not lagos u and tinubu will milk, we are not paying any toll or we destroy the bridge

grin

Typing this while hiding under the bed in his wife's skirts

1 Like

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by ogorwyne(f): 8:16am On Dec 22, 2022
[quote author= post=119340638][/quote]
The irony.
Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by Sleekfingers: 8:17am On Dec 22, 2022
MrEverest:

There is a plan to toll Lagos - badagry expressway, Lagos - ibadan expressway.....I don't see anything wrong with it....
So stop all these unnecessary sentiments.

1 Like

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by hammer567: 8:21am On Dec 22, 2022
THE SAME TYPE OF BRIDGE WAS BUILT IN BENUE AND STARTED AT THE SAME TIME, WHO IS PAYING TOLL THERE?

BENUE OWETO BRIDGE

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by hammer567: 8:28am On Dec 22, 2022
Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by Focusmind: 8:29am On Dec 22, 2022
The tolling boot may likely be blown up and vandalized by protesters. FG should not try it. Once people sees it as an instrument of extortion, there would be push back.

If there has to be toll, the same should be extended to other major roads constructed in other places. I like the bridge but do not support the selective application of tolling. It has destroyed the good intention of Buhari and that bridge.

1 Like

Re: Second Niger Bridge Users Will Pay Toll - FG by Pootle: 8:30am On Dec 22, 2022
bridge of how many kilometer....we no go hear word for the rest of the year

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari Appoints His Own 'reuben Abati' / Woman With Bible Protests Saraki And Ekweremadu's Arrest / How Security Agents Hunting For IPOB Killed Unarmed People In Enugu - PUNCH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.