Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? (2749 Views)

Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? / Bride Breastfeeding Her Child On Wedding Day (pics) / Husband Having Affairs And Not Admitting It But Wants To Continue His Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by isod: 7:59am On Sep 01, 2011
Hi Nairalanders,

I have a 5 month+ baby who is used to eating approx, every 3hours. During the night, he wakes up like twice to breastfeed. Now, this is causing some issue in my household as my hubby thinks he is cultivating a bad habit and Im encouraging him too. Im a working mother and I feel the only time he gets his antibodies and nutrients is in the night cos during the day he is on formula.

What do you guys think? (Mothers/ Fathers/ Doctors / Nurses/ )
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by ifyalways(f): 9:38am On Sep 01, 2011
isod:

Hi Nairalanders,

I have a 5 month+ baby who is used to eating approx, every 3hours. During the night, he wakes up like twice to breastfeed. Now, this is causing some issue in my household as my hubby thinks he is cultivating a bad habit and Im encouraging him too. Im a working mother and I feel the only time he gets his antibodies and nutrients is in the night cos during the day he is on formula.

What do you guys think? (Mothers/ Fathers/ Doctors / Nurses/ )
Bad habit indeed.
When[b] he[/b] was doing it was a good habit abi or did he not do more than twice per nite on good days?Men sef  cheesy

Your baby br.eastfeeding just twice at nite is very normal IMO,what is your hubby thinking sef,comparing a full load of akpu at nite with br.eastmilk?

When does your baby sleep?If he sleeps early,say like 7pm you can wake him between 11-12 pm for a quick dream feed to keep him till early morning.Your hubby should understand that bre.ast milk is easier to digest than formula so its no brainier why a child needs and deserves more feeds.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by isod: 10:05am On Sep 01, 2011
Thanks Ify,

I felt he was being unrealistic. My first baby stopped breastfeeding at 4 months so perhaps this one seems longer. Funny he accused me then of not breastfeeding the baby long enuf.

Men!!!
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by MissIfe(f): 10:36am On Sep 01, 2011
my own was also on formula day time and she ate at night until about 10 months. She was eating more than twice a night! I guess she liked breastmilk more than formula so she adapted her schedule to eat when mama was available wink Anyay, your husband should be patient, twice a night at 5 months is very reasonable.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by Smilenw(f): 10:44am On Sep 01, 2011
Please do not listen to your husband on this issue. A baby has to be exclusively breastfed atleast till he is 6 months. You say your kid is on formula so try to give him as much of your milk as possible when  you are around. You can gradually stop the night feeding when he starts on solids and starts to have filling dinner.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by manakeagie: 11:46am On Sep 01, 2011
My dear what doing for your baby is very safe and good because during the night the body retains all the food nutrients as compared to during the day,
and that should be done untill 1 and half or 2 years for your baby to be health
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by shababysha: 7:38pm On Sep 01, 2011
My baby wakes up to suck @ least 4 times every nite and she is nine months now. If u r complaining abt ur 5months old who only wakes up twice then what should I do
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by Fhemmmy: 7:48pm On Sep 01, 2011
For me oh, My wife cant breastfeed for more than one month, cos the breast are mine and not the baby's oh.
I can share all thing, but not those nipples . . . no way.
One month, that is all
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by ada24: 8:31pm On Sep 01, 2011
KMT - my 8 month old is still breastfeeding and if she wants to eat at 2am she gets it.

each to their own - why are some men so flipping selfish.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by ronkebp(f): 8:37pm On Sep 01, 2011
My dear, i nursed my little champion, till he turned one. and i had to start weaning him because he started sommersaulting on my boobies, i was like, this has to stop. So we are still battling with that now, i would rather you pump, well during the day, so that he still takes the milk, and at night try substituting for something else, maybe his milk, (sma, goodstart, infamil, etc) because by the time he gets older, you will find it difficult to wean him, am learning better now,
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by plappville(f): 9:29pm On Sep 01, 2011
I bosson fed my 3 kids, it is a normal thing for ur baby at that Age to wake up 2* to sock.
Breast milk is very rich but lighter than formula.
As u ve choose to work while breastfd, i guess u should be the one to complain not ur hubby.
U ve no enough time to rest, try the formular just befor u put him to bed.
Not just because of ur hubbys complain, But also for u to at least avoid waking up at night.
Try a bottle of formular just befor baby goes to bed, this can hold him till 5 in the morning.
My baby is 6 months now and he is no longer on bossom. It has went well for me with this method.
All the best.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by dominique(f): 11:20pm On Sep 01, 2011
@topic

nice contributions (except phemmmy. . . don't even try it! angry) that very question has been playing on my mind for a while now. my 5 month old son wakes me up approximately every 2 hours to b.reastfeed. i was starting to wonder how much longer i was going to go through with this situation though i'm used to getting little sleep. now i'm trying to introduce him to formula and cereals with very little success. any ideas how to go about it?
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by Nobody: 12:18am On Sep 02, 2011
Continue night br[i]e[/i]ast feeding as long as your baby demands it. You may gradually want to introduce formula for night feeds, and reduce bre[i]a[/i]st feeding when he's 12 months+.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by blank(f): 9:09am On Sep 02, 2011
for as long as baby demands ke? So, baby doesn't want junior abi? I will continue till he is 9 months and then water from then on. If he still doesnt get the message, i will send him to his grandmother. Even with all the eba, custard, cereal, cow and gate he eats before he sleeps, he still wakes me up 3 or 4 times a night. Sometimes, it feels like its a habit cos he doesnt eat much.
He is 6 months now and i want my nights back. Besides, he bites more at night. cheesy
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by Nobody: 11:04am On Sep 02, 2011
blank:

for as long as baby demands ke? So, baby doesn't want junior abi? I will continue till he is 9 months and then water from then on. If he still doesnt get the message, i will send him to his grandmother. Even with all the eba, custard, cereal, cow and gate he eats before he sleeps, he still wakes me up 3 or 4 times a night. Sometimes, it feels like its a habit cos he doesnt eat much.
He is 6 months now and i want my nights back. Besides, he bites more at night. cheesy

I feel your pain. But you ladies bite more at night as well, we've got the scars to prove it. cheesy
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by iaabc(f): 11:57am On Sep 02, 2011
Does the baby sleep in your bed? Maybe that's what your husband is complaining about? But that you should not feed the baby ke? No way. Please feed the baby o. He eats cos he's hungry. The food digests in 3-4 hours, so he gets hungry fast. When he starts on solids, you can ensure that he gets a good dinner so that he wakes up maybe only once in the night. But look on the bright side, all of this will soon be over and you will look back and be happy that you did the best for your child.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by blank(f): 12:03pm On Sep 02, 2011
Night is the rightful and best time to bite. cheesy
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by isod: 1:28pm On Sep 02, 2011
Yes my baby sleeps with me on the same bed. Efforts at making him sleep in his cot have been very futile especially as I have to go to work the next day. He sha wakes up thrashing hands and legs first, trying to feel me grin
I would try feeding him well before he sleeps and see how it goes.

Cant wait for the guy to start eating eba and the likes!!!
But its been a while I slept through out the night, I practically just move like a robot.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by plappville(f): 1:39pm On Sep 02, 2011
Siena:

Continue night br[i]e[/i]ast feeding as long as your baby demands it. You may gradually want to introduce formula for night feeds, and reduce bre[i]a[/i]st feeding when he's 12 months+.

I agree with u, but this is good when the mother is not working, So if the baby continue demanding untill he is 2 yrs, she will still be breast feeding him?
It's true that there aren't any rules about when to stop breast-feeding, but the world today demands women to work.
I guess anything more than 12 months is overdo, Even Pediatrics recommends that babies be breast fed for at least 12 months.

For me oo, breastfeeding for more than 12 months is no longer for the best of the baby, but just a way to avoid buying formula.
Just my own opinion ooo.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by plappville(f): 1:49pm On Sep 02, 2011
isod:

Yes my baby sleeps with me on the same bed. Efforts at making him sleep in his cot have been very futile especially as I have to go to work the next day. He sha wakes up thrashing hands and legs first, trying to feel me grin
I would try feeding him well before he sleeps and see how it goes.

Cant wait for the guy to start eating eba and the likes!!!
But its been a while I slept through out the night, I practically just move like a robot.

See what i am pointing out, so when will ur baby get used to his bed? the problem here is that as u do breastfeed him at night, it is normal that he sleeps with u in same bed to reduce ur stress of going to get him in his room each time he cries for food. This is the time u ve to make him understand the situation, u are not a robot, sure u love ur baby, that is why u have to do thing in the best way for both u and baby.

Dont over work urself all in the name of wanting the best for my baby. If u break down one day it will not be good for baby also. So try to introduce formula just before he goes to bed and plz dont allow him have the habit of sleeping with u in same bed. Now i know why ur hubby is not suporting the situation. Men hate it when its becoming too frequent sharing bed with baby, once in a wile can be understood not every night. The ball is in ur court my dear.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by whatalife: 2:25pm On Sep 02, 2011
@ Mr Siena,
i have been trying to track you down on nairaland,
I have sent you an email sir,
Please read through and get back to me sir .
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by blank(f): 3:13pm On Sep 02, 2011
@ Plappyville, u are very right. I moved my oga to his own cot but recently, i have just been too tired to carry him back to his cot when he wakes up. That is why he has the temerity to kick me in d back if i am not fast in waking up or he bites my husband's elbow. angry God knows we try but there are times it takes God's grace. When he wakes up in his cot, the kind of cry he cries eh, will wake the whole street.
Can't wait for him to outgrow this nightfeeding business. Eba no dey work for this young soldier not to mention formula.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by Fhemmmy: 3:27pm On Sep 02, 2011
dominique:

@topic

nice contributions (except phemmmy. . . don't even try it! angry) that very question has been playing on my mind for a while now. my 5 month old son wakes me up approximately every 2 hours to b.reastfeed. i was starting to wonder how much longer i was going to go through with this situation though i'm used to getting little sleep. now i'm trying to introduce him to formula and cereals with very little success. any ideas how to go about it?

Why now, make i no talk my mind?
I am not joking with this things oh . . .very serious
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by iaabc(f): 3:30pm On Sep 02, 2011
I remember the sleep deprivation feeling when breastfeeding my little tots too. For like 3 years I felt like I had not had a good night sleep (heck, even now I still dont get a full night's sleep). But it will soon be over.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by dominique(f): 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2011
blank:

@ Plappyville, u are very right. I moved my oga to his own cot but recently, i have just been too tired to carry him back to his cot when he wakes up. That is why he has the temerity to kick me in d back if i am not fast in waking up or he bites my husband's elbow.  angry God knows we try but there are times it takes God's grace. When he wakes up in his cot, the kind of cry he cries eh, will wake the whole street.
Can't wait for him to outgrow this nightfeeding business. Eba no dey work for this young soldier not to mention formula.

Amen to that!!!

Fhemmmy:

Why now, make i no talk my mind?
I am not joking with this things oh . . .very serious

na you and your wifey get talk.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by Fhemmmy: 3:54pm On Sep 02, 2011
dominique:

na you and your wifey get talk.

She knows oh . . .Lol
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by isod: 7:43am On Sep 05, 2011
In a bid to find a solution to this, I pureed some banana and added it to the formula. AND HE SLEPT THRU OUT, So will now work on the separation ha-ha

Would keep you all informed as I go.
Re: How Long To Continue Night Breastfeeding? by Busybody2(f): 1:47am On Oct 04, 2011
ronkebp:

My dear, i nursed my little champion, till he turned one. and i had to start weaning him because [size=14pt]he started sommersaulting on my bosoms,[/size] i was like, this has to stop. So we are still battling with that now, i would rather you pump, well during the day, so that he still takes the milk, and at night try substituting for something else, maybe his milk, (sma, goodstart, infamil, etc) because by the time he gets older, you will find it difficult to wean him, am learning better now,

Normally I would have said akiika una sabi lie, but the first time my son did this without disengaging his mouth from my breast, i was shocked and dazed and started wondering what just happened and was still doubting until he did it again at the next feeding time the following day cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

13 Reasons To Make Love With Your Spouse Every Night / Help: My Dad Has Another Wife Unkown To Us All / Is This Kind Of Job Not More Of A Slavery For A Married Woman,please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.