Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,060 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

Prayers Work - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Prayers Work (1872 Views)

Will People's Prayers Work For Me After My Death? / What Really Makes Prayers Work / "This Is Why Pastors Need Prayers" - Photo Of Lady At Church Event Trends Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prayers Work by Nobody: 1:40am On Dec 24, 2022
The year 2022 is ending and there is no one who is not facing a challenge or two. No one is built to be independent and to do things on their own. Life is not alway smooth sailing. You need to pray and believe God will answer in his perfect will. If Jesus Christ pray to God one on one and frequently then we ought to follow the Lord footsteps and do what the Jesus did.
And if things are going smooth and your prayers has been answered. Remember to Thank God in prayer. For 2023, be intentional on your prayer life.

1 Like

Re: Prayers Work by Kobojunkiee: 3:12am On Dec 24, 2022
Abi1985:
1. The year 2022 is ending and there is no one who is not facing a challenge or two. No one is built to be independent and to do things on their own. Life is not alway smooth sailing. You need to pray and believe God will answer in his refect will. If Jesus Christ pray to God one on one and frequently then we ought to follow the Lord footsteps and do what the Jesus did.

2. And if things are going smooth and your prayers has been answered. Remember to Thank God in prayer. For 2023, be intentional on your prayer life.
Believe God will answer? God instead said that He will only answer the prayer of those who obey Him, so isn't it a lie to claim God will answer those who believe He will answer them? Every year, 100s of millions of Churchians, billions even, do exactly what you prescribe, and every year they all fail to realize the answers to their prayers. Isn't it about time we adopt God's very own narrative in place of these lies we continue to broadcast as if by mentioning Him we justify the lies we tell? undecided

2. Unbelievers do not pray yet they seem to have it better than the majority of Churchians. Doesn't that cause you to maybe consider that what you are doing is definitely not right since it does not even measure any better than that which is the life of those who don't even regard God? undecided

1 Like

Re: Prayers Work by Nobody: 3:29am On Dec 24, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
Believe God will answer? God instead said that He will only answer the prayer of those who obey Him, so isn't it a lie to claim God will answer those who believe He will answer them? Every year, 100s of millions of Churchians, billions even, do exactly what you prescribe, and every year they all fail to realize the answers to their prayers. Isn't it about time we adopt God's very own narrative in place of these lies we continue to broadcast as if by mentioning Him we justify the lies we tell? undecided

2. Unbelievers do not pray yet they seem to have it better than the majority of Churchians. Doesn't that cause you to maybe consider that what you are doing is definitely not right since it does not even measure any better than that which is the life of those who don't even regard God? undecided

Ok God answers prayer according to his Will.

1 Like

Re: Prayers Work by Kobojunkiee: 3:34am On Dec 24, 2022
Abi1985:
Ok God answer prayer according to his Will.
But what is His Law, even as far as prayer and the answering of prayer is concerned? undecided

Can one who does not obey God's Law get answers from God? Churchians, for example, are known for bellowing their prayers to God as loud as they can disregarding the concerns and peace of those around them as they pretend they honor God with all that noise, yet God instead said that He only answers prayers said in hiding and in secret. So, do Churchians, by their much noise even in prayer do the Will/Law of God? undecided

1 Like

Re: Prayers Work by Truvelisback(m): 8:00am On Dec 24, 2022
Kobojunkiee:

Is praying to God not an act of obedience?

1 Like

Re: Prayers Work by Truvelisback(m): 8:02am On Dec 24, 2022
Abi1985:

Don't mind Kobojunkiee, he just like argueing blindly. grin

1 Like

Re: Prayers Work by Kobojunkiee: 8:04am On Dec 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
Don't mind Kobojunkiee, he just like argueing blindly. grin
I understand well that God is a joke to you! undecided
Re: Prayers Work by Kobojunkiee: 8:06am On Dec 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
It is made clear in scripture that the prayer of sinners is an abomination to God -Proverbs 15:8-29 -, so clearly simply praying to God is not in itself an act of obedience. Instead obedience of God's commandments and teachings is instead the act of obedience that honors God. Your Churchian prayer rituals have nothing to do with that commanded by God hence amounts to an abomination. undecided
Re: Prayers Work by Truvelisback(m): 8:12am On Dec 24, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
God made clear that the prayer of sinners is an abomination to Him so clearly praying to God is not an act of obedience to God. Instead obeying God's commandments and teachings is instead the act of obedience. undecided
U are now digressing to prayers of sinners. Is that what Op is saying? Is the prayer of the righteous not act of obedience?
Re: Prayers Work by Kobojunkiee: 8:15am On Dec 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
U are now digressing to prayers of sinners. Is that what Op is saying? Is the prayer of the righteous not act of obedience?
Pay attention!
Truvelisback:
It is made clear in scripture that the prayer of sinners is an abomination to God -Proverbs 15:8-29 -, so clearly simply praying to God is not in itself an act of obedience. Instead obedience of God's commandments and teachings is instead the act of obedience that honors God. The righteous are those who live their lives in continuous submission and obedience to the teachings and commandments of God and that is what makes their prayer a delight to God. Your Churchian prayer rituals have nothing to do with that commanded by God hence it amounts to an abomination to God. undecided
Re: Prayers Work by Dtruthspeaker: 5:50pm On Dec 24, 2022
Truvelisback:

No it is not!

Even the sinner prays and what did God say?

John 9:31,
Now we know that God does not hear sinners.
Re: Prayers Work by Truvelisback(m): 6:07pm On Dec 24, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

No it is not!

Even the sinner prays and what did God say?

John 9:31,
Now we know that God does not hear sinners.

What if sinners pray in repentance, won't God hear him? Is that not an act of obedience? The parable of the Pharisee and the sinner is a good example.
Re: Prayers Work by Kobojunkiee: 6:19pm On Dec 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
What if sinners pray in repentance, won't God hear him? Is that not an act of obedience? The parable of the Pharisee and the sinner is a good example.
▪︎A sinner is a person who is already under Law, in this case God's New Covenant and agreement of peace, meaning the person already claims to believe in God and so is mandated to submit to and obey God's teachings and commandments just as everyone else under Law is required to, but refuses to. No amount of doing that which is not commanded will cause God to change His mind in that regard. undecided
▪︎ There is no such thing as prayer of repentance as repentance is only accomplished through obedience of the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ regarding repentance.

▪︎ What the sinner did in that parable was seek for his forgiveness in accordance with that stipulated in God's Law .I.e. his act was in obedience to stipulated law. In addition, if he hadn't observed other connected laws such as that which demands he forgive all others who have erred against Him before approaching God with His request, the Law says he will not be forgiven by God. Is such a case, He would simply be a sinner-- one who refuses to obey God's Law - demanding forgiveness from God and that is an abomination. undecided

So, you see, obedience of God's commandment is what is mandated in all cases.
Re: Prayers Work by Truvelisback(m): 6:27pm On Dec 24, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
▪︎A sinner is a person who is already under Law, in this case God's New Covenant and agreement of peace, meaning the person already claims to believe in God and so is mandated to submit to and obey God's teachings and commandments just as everyone else under Law is required to, but refuses to. No amount of doing that which is not commanded will cause God to change His mind in that regard. undecided
▪︎ There is no such thing as prayer of repentance as repentance is only accomplished through obedience of the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ regarding repentance.

▪︎ What the sinner did in that parable was seek for his forgiveness in accordance with that stipulated in God's Law .I.e. his act was in obedience to stipulated law. In addition, if he hadn't observed other connected laws such as that which demands he forgive all others who have erred against Him before approaching God with His request, the Law says he will not be forgiven by God. Is such a case, He would simply be a sinner-- one who refuses to obey God's Law - demanding forgiveness from God and that is an abomination. undecided

So, you see, obedience of God's commandment is what is mandated in all cases.
U and ur long epistle. Na simple question i ask.
Re: Prayers Work by Kobojunkiee: 6:30pm On Dec 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
U and ur long epistle. Na simple question i ask.
I already understand you believe God a joke. Why you persist in attempts to associate yourself with His name, by force, is beyond me. Obviously, you don't know Him and His Word has no direct impact on your life to date so why pretend you can cling to Him in any way --- when He has made no such provision? undecided
Re: Prayers Work by Dtruthspeaker: 7:31pm On Dec 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
What if sinners pray in repentance, won't God hear him? Is that not an act of obedience?

Repentance is really not a prayer but an action carried out exactly as obedience is an action carried out, and not a prayer.
Re: Prayers Work by Truvelisback(m): 7:38pm On Dec 24, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Repentance is really not a prayer but an action carried exactly as obedience is an action carried out, and not a prayer.
Repentance can be prayer too. We have different kinds of prayer. We have prayer of repentance.
Re: Prayers Work by Kobojunkiee: 7:44pm On Dec 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
Repentance can be prayer too. We have different kinds of prayer. We have prayer of repentance.
Your prayers of repentance are a lie. Open your eyes to see how even your very own prayers of repentance continue to go unanswered to this day. Your life remains tangled up in many of the same sins you supposedly prayed your prayers of repentance for several times. That should serve as more than enough evidence for you that such prayers are meaningless. undecided
Re: Prayers Work by Truvelisback(m): 7:48pm On Dec 24, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
Your prayers of repentance are a lie. Open your eyes to see how even your very own prayers of repentance continue to go unanswered to this day. Your life remains tangled up in many of the same sins you supposedly prayed your prayers of repentance for several times. That should serve as more than enough evidence for you that such prayers are meaningless. undecided
Why was the prayer of the sinner who went with the pharisee to the synangouge to pray answered? What prayer did he offer?
Re: Prayers Work by Kobojunkiee: 8:03pm On Dec 24, 2022
Truvelisback:
Why was the prayer of the sinner who went with the pharisee to the synangouge to pray answered? What prayer did he offer?
The sinner went to ask God for forgiveness in obedience to God's very own decree in His Law, as Jesus Christ explained there in that context to you. undecided
9 He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt:
10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
11 The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’
13 But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted. - Luke 18 vs 9 - 14
A. The Pharisee foolishly assumed that his vain religious acts would earn him God's forgiveness of his sins and so he didn't even bother asking God for the forgiveness of his sins.
B. The tax collector, on the other hand, did as God commanded. He, in obedience to God's commandment, asked God for the forgiveness of his sins. He humbled himself that is in obedience to God's law and decrees, in that simplest request which He made to God.

And as Jesus Christ explained in verse 14, those who humble themselves - obey the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ - will be exalted. undecided
Re: Prayers Work by Dtruthspeaker: 11:16pm On Dec 24, 2022
Truvelisback:

Truth is, this is True. Even though I would say that such prayer is a nullity if it was not accompanied with the action of repentance.
Re: Prayers Work by Kobojunkiee: 12:23am On Dec 25, 2022
undecided
Re: Prayers Work by Truvelisback(m): 5:12am On Dec 25, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Truth is, this is True. Even though I would say that such prayer is a nullity if it was not accompanied with the action of repentance.
It is. If done genuinely from the heart. Hezekiah prayed same prayer, David prayed it, the people of Niniveh prayed it etc.
Re: Prayers Work by Dtruthspeaker: 2:18pm On Dec 25, 2022
Truvelisback:
It is. If done genuinely from the heart. Hezekiah prayed same prayer, David prayed it, the people of Niniveh prayed it etc.

They actually repented first before they prayed
Re: Prayers Work by FRANCISTOWN: 8:31am On Dec 26, 2022
Abi1985:
The year 2022 is ending and there is no one who is not facing a challenge or two. No one is built to be independent and to do things on their own. Life is not alway smooth sailing. You need to pray and believe God will answer in his refect will. If Jesus Christ pray to God one on one and frequently then we ought to follow the Lord footsteps and do what the Jesus did.
And if things are going smooth and your prayers has been answered. Remember to Thank God in prayer. For 2023, be intentional on your prayer life.

Good morning sir. Please give me one proof that prayer works , show me how prayer is not just some placebos effect. This is not to ensue you to any forms of argument. If you had enough time in your hands, we can have a decent discussion. I am not an atheist as you may have assumed.
Re: Prayers Work by FRANCISTOWN: 8:38am On Dec 26, 2022
Abi1985:

If God's Will will eventually come to pass regardless, does that not make it clear enough that prayer lacks efficacy? And I think this statement is contradictory to

Mark 11: 24 "Whatsoever ye desire(Not whatsoever God wants of you, or whatsoever God desires)when ye pray, believe that ye have receive them and ye shall have it"
Re: Prayers Work by Dtruthspeaker: 9:03am On Dec 26, 2022
FRANCISTOWN:

Good morning sir. Please give me one proof that prayer works , show me how prayer is not just some placebos effect. This is not to ensue you to any forms of argument. If you had enough time in your hands, we can have a decent discussion. I am not an atheist as you may have assumed.

Ah woman you already know that you are enemies of God because you people are fully evil and belong to Satan, so you already know that God can not be hearing your prayers not to talk of answering them.

Not to talk of the fact that your prayers are even evil and wicked on top of all the wickedness and evil you have done and are still do.
Re: Prayers Work by FRANCISTOWN: 10:35am On Dec 26, 2022
Kobojunkiee:
It is made clear in scripture that the prayer of sinners is an abomination to God -Proverbs 15:8-29 -, so clearly simply praying to God is not in itself an act of obedience. Instead obedience of God's commandments and teachings is instead the act of obedience that honors God. Your Churchian prayer rituals have nothing to do with that commanded by God hence amounts to an abomination. undecided

Let's be strict in reasoning sir. When you say obedience, it can as well be likened to righteousness, but first of all, your Bible says "no one was saved by work(in other words, by their own righteousness or obedience), but by Grace". Basically your Bible that you read says in Romans 3: 10-downward: verse 10 now: "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:" also in Psalms 130: 3-4 If You, Lord, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared.” . If you said people's prayers are not being answered due to disobedience, then that statement in itself gives the basis to refute these Bible verses: Eph 1:7-8, Eph 4: 32, Col3 :13, Psalms 86:5, Psalms 103:12, 1 John 1:9, Heb 8:12, Isaiah 43:25, Heb 10:17 because these Bible verses stress that God is able to forgive anyone who goes to Him, however your Bible says anyone who goes to your God is no more a sinner but the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus; old things are passed away and all things are now new. Now let's assume that col 13:4 is an exaggeration... I believe any Christian who wants to pray must firstly ask for forgiveness of sins. As your God who is a merciful God according to the above listed Bible verses,such person will be forgiven, which makes such an eligible recipient of answers.
Not to talk about self conflicting Exodus 34:6-8 "And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7 maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation.”

I don't understand how someone who is merciful will visit the iniquities of the father on the innocent children, this is just as saying that because a father commits murder, then his children until the fourth generation will do the time.

The likes of Elon, Bill, and many of the world billionaires do not believe in any God(they do not obey Him, they do not even pray), yet they have been able to achieve so much, with a philanthropic attitude. If this? Then it means that success is not directly proportional to your allegiance to this so called God.
Professor Albert Einstein of blessed memory is arguably the greatest scientist in the world, most of his theories came from mere thinking and without experiments, if he were a Christian, many of these churchians would have said , God gave him the inspiration. Now it is evident that wisdom or clairvoyance can be achieved without your God , which actually renders John 3: 27 useless as it says "A man can receive nothing, unless it has been given him from heaven" however if you argued further that God still made them have so much exploits , we may begin to question the integrity and loyalty of your God, as why he would leave people who obey him, and decided to bestow such exploits on those who do not. However if you said God wasn't responsibile for their exploits. Then it is reasonable to say something else is responsible, which infact means that, God is not responsible for everything in life, which means He doesn't have all the power therefore not omnipotent. You are free to criticize me. We have seen people who pray to themselves yet they received what they prayed for, and we've seen people who prayed to a sort of God and ended up being disappointed, without departing from logic sir, what can we make of this?
Re: Prayers Work by FRANCISTOWN: 11:14am On Dec 26, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Ah woman you already know that you are enemies of God because you people are fully evil and belong to Satan, so you already know that God can not be hearing your prayers not to talk of answering them.

Not to talk of the fact that your prayers are even evil and wicked on top of all the wickedness and evil you have done and are still do.

What? Sir, honestly speaking this is not to disrespect you or to communicate any form of insult, but I think it was wrong to assume that I'm a Satanist, that I do wickedly or that I'm an evil perpetrator. This is one of the reasons I avoid these Christian guys as one would avoid flafivirus infections. The fact that I do not worship your God suddenly makes me a demon or a spawn of Satan, we are all atheistic in nature, in the fact that you are atheistic to the Krishna, Zeus, The Flying Spaghetti, Thor and many others. Everyone has the rights to their believes and believe is highly subjective. You do not subscribe to the believe in a flying spaghetti, Thor, Zeus, Krishna because they just don't make sense to you, you haven't seen any proof, or any direct interaction. Without departing from common sense and reasoning also be decent enough to understand that not everyone has had or will have an encounter with the God that you serve, at least, in my quest to understand this so called God, I've read too many books, just too many books, and in a book titled "A catalogue of Gods" it's said that humans have worshipped more than 30,000 Gods since the first hominids appeared on the surface of the earth. I'm sure even if truly your God is real and as merciful as y'all potray him, it will be so unjust of Him to punish me simply because I do not believe him, He has not given me any basis to believe him, I've never heard him, neither seen him nor felt him at all. If you've heard him or felt him, please do not criticize people who haven't because he has chosen to reveal himself to those he wants... That is if he is up there as y'all claim
Re: Prayers Work by Nobody: 12:10pm On Dec 26, 2022
FRANCISTOWN:

I will just tell my own experience. I pray for a child, my wife had a child. I pray for protection while I was driving and I got home safely. There was a huge accident on my way home, yet I was spared. So yes I believe God answers prayers according to his perfect will. God is good all the time and I trust God. Pray without cease and Follow the way Jesus prayed and that is my message to you.
Re: Prayers Work by FRANCISTOWN: 12:17pm On Dec 26, 2022
Abi1985:

I will just tell my own experience. I pray for a child, my wife had a child. I pray for protection while I was driving and I got home safely. There was a huge accident on my way home, yet I was spared. So yes I believe God answers prayers according to his perfect will. God is good all the time and I trust God. Pray without cease and Follow the way Jesus prayed and that is my message to you.

I'm glad that your God answers your prayers. But as for me, I do not pray, but since prayer works so well for you, I'll encourage you to keep on with it as I always say, only a stupid man will leave what works, and a more foolish man will keep doing what doesn't work
Re: Prayers Work by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 26, 2022
FRANCISTOWN:

I'm glad that your God answers your prayers. But as for me, I do not pray, but since prayer works so well for you, I'll encourage you to keep on with it as I always say, only a stupid man will leave what works, and a more foolish man will keep doing what doesn't work

What is your religion? What prayer was not answered? There is nothing foolish praying to God. God answers prayer according to his perfect will and if God does not answer your prayers, trust God at his will. For example I remember I did not study well for exam , I pray to God to pass but I failed. I was not happy I failed. Failure did not stop me from believing God. Intact I got better after failing and study better and passed the class.
Pray without cease and stop get closer to God. Have faith and trust God is good, no dey beef God because of some unanswered prayer, He love you. Na Satan dey make God look evil when the God is Merciful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are Nigerians Really Christians Or Fakes! / Christ Embassy Rumour, Ow True Is It? / Urgent Message From The Lord God Almight - Coming Mega Tsunami!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.