Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,815 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

How Can I Contribute To Open Source As A Junior Developer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Can I Contribute To Open Source As A Junior Developer (583 Views)

My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far / 5 Projects A Junior Developer Should Have In Their Portfolio To Get Hired Fast / Junior Developer Internship So Hard To Find (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Contribute To Open Source As A Junior Developer by Dahyur119: 9:30pm On Dec 24, 2022
I'm a junior developer I have been working and learning
react for 8 to 9 month .. but I want to start contributing
to open source so I can add that to my resume since I
have applying and I haven't gotten good responses.
what are the step I should take before I can start
contributing to open source so I can have a first hand
experience working with a live project

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Contribute To Open Source As A Junior Developer by KrazyDave16(m): 10:55pm On Dec 24, 2022
First off, get rid of that title you gave yourself

To your question, you need no invitation to contribute to a project

Fork a repo, make meaningful changes/fix bugs, submit a PR and wait for code reviews to be over (if its merged, you made a contribution). There are guides on the net and github docs too.

Also make yourself "useful" by posting on programming communities like reddit, twitter and co to make yourself known.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Contribute To Open Source As A Junior Developer by Raheeqilmaktoom: 2:06pm On Dec 25, 2022
KrazyDave16:
First off, get rid of that title you gave yourself

To your question, you need no invitation to contribute to a project

Fork a repo, make meaningful changes/fix bugs, submit a PR and wait for code reviews to be over (if its merged, you made a contribution). There are guides on the net and github docs too.

Also make yourself "useful" by posting on programming communities like reddit, twitter and co to make yourself known.

Is there any reason for that particular line?

1 Like

Re: How Can I Contribute To Open Source As A Junior Developer by KrazyDave16(m): 4:21pm On Dec 25, 2022
Raheeqilmaktoom:

Is there any reason for that particular line?
he's got no prior employment or training, kinda like saying you're a full-fledged lawyer if you haven't passed the bar

1 Like

Re: How Can I Contribute To Open Source As A Junior Developer by Runningwater(m): 9:43pm On Dec 27, 2022
You could search on Github using search filters like python, JavaScript, react, etc. After seeing the project you like, read the project readme to understand what it does, why it does it and how it does it that way.

You could then help by:
1.Writing or improving on the documentation
2.Write articles about the project(How-to, etc)
3.Add features you like or improve on existing ones(features like maybe a GUI if doesn't exist)
4. Look at open issues you could address in the project
5. You could even do translation of readme files if such projects need it

But it would be better to first search on Github for opensource projects that help devs on using Git and Github for opensource contributions. Repos like the Eddiehub, first-time contributions, etc

My little sense

Oh... you could search on GSoC repos on Github to look for ones you contribute to, too

1 Like

Re: How Can I Contribute To Open Source As A Junior Developer by qtguru(m): 11:35am On Dec 28, 2022
If you know Svelte and can help maintain Svelte devtool, you will be popular. it's Chrome API/ JS/ HTML
Re: How Can I Contribute To Open Source As A Junior Developer by qtguru(m): 11:35am On Dec 28, 2022
Runningwater:
You could search on Github using search filters like python, JavaScript, react, etc. After seeing the project you like, read the project readme to understand what it does, why it does it and how it does it that way.

You could then help by:
1.Writing or improving on the documentation
2.Write articles about the project(How-to, etc)

3.Add features you like or improve on existing ones(features like maybe a GUI if doesn't exist)
4. Look at open issues you could address in the project
5. You could even do translation of readme files if such projects need it

But it would be better to first search on Github for opensource projects that help devs on using Git and Github for opensource contributions. Repos like the Eddiehub, first-time contributions, etc

My little sense

Oh... you could search on GSoC repos on Github to look for ones you contribute to, too

Those 2 are always the best, as you get to learn about the project structure as you read and document.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Spammers Are Back / Experienced React Developer Needed / Carrington Themes Programmers Help Your Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.