Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,263 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:48 AM

Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club (40563 Views)

COVID-19: LASEPA Seals Farms City, Ajah Quilox Pool, Two Others / Quilox: Akin Alabi Accuses Police Of Demanding Bribe To Release Impounded Cars / Noise Pollution: Lagos State Seals 8 Mosques And Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Bintdawood(f): 10:56am On Dec 26, 2022
Starzo:

No church does that for 7days a week

Infact the few that actually hold night vigils do it only on Fridays and its not every Friday of the month sef

But mosques dey carry Allah kaboom noise wake everybody from sleep by 5am 365 days a year

All mosques should be sealed completely

Its Allah Akbar not Kaboom please

Stop sating what you dont know, i know churches that operates almost everyday and the even during the day, they play bands . See you cant even compare the noise from churches to mosque.
Every salat no dey pass 10mins, lets be fair here abeg.
Till eternity, no mosque will be sealed!!

1 Like

Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by CaptainFM1: 10:59am On Dec 26, 2022
owobokiri:
Nigeria is a place where misfits in government expect people on the streets to know the right thing to do and when to do so without the government putting up requisite measures to help both people and businesses to know their limits even before starting off any venture.

Night clubs are generally situated at places where noise won't be an issue. The place to situate such ventures in Lagos should be designated ab initio by the state government. Appropriate structures and monitoring systems should also be in place to help the businesses conduct themselves appropriately.

But here, you get up one day only to see governments bulldozers demolishing houses and offices that were built with permissions from the same Government. You see establishments being torn down for being at the wrong location and you wonder why the agencies in charge allowed the structure to be erected at the "wrong place" in the first place..

There's a threshold of Noise that is acceptable. I suppose the club exceed that decibel. Moreso, a club is supposed to be sound proof.

You see the state clamping down on even churches and mosque for this offence. P
Like someone said, ignorant of the law is not a defense.

On your question about which should come first...the egg or the chicken?

It doesn't matter when a law is passed. If a law is defective right from the start, such law itself can be challenged in a competent court and overturned. In the absence of no court order vacating such law, any flaunting of it whatsoever is an Offence.

Many laws generally and all over the world are reactionary to an event/incident. All laws can't be proactively thought off. As much as government will try to be proactive in their laws, a reasonable level of tweaking, and adjustment will be needed as man evolved. Remember, "laws are made for humans, not humans are made for clubs!"

1 Like

Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Bintdawood(f): 11:04am On Dec 26, 2022
MarketDispatch:

Go and say it in Kano

Leave him grin grin
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by grandstar(m): 11:05am On Dec 26, 2022
Thedon22:

I am familiar with that area and I have not witnessed any traffic jam due to the nightclub compared to the jam at Jakande or Chevron along same axis. Also, what do you say aboutthe Civic Center close to the club? The jam from the Civic Centre is worse than any from the Club. Why are they not harassing the centre? I am not a clubber but I believe the club has a positive role in a modern city like Lagos.

I learnt Quilox does cause traffic jams but Mr Peller has proven to be a tough nut to crack. He once brought a battalion of boys to battle Lagos state officials. grin grin

If the Civic Centre is constituting a nuisance, then it too should suffer the same fate. There should be no sacred cows. Town planning isn't for the faint hearted. Most actions are for the collective good of all and not one person or a few.

I once was in London some years ago and was pleasantly surprised when a road like Ikorodu road was devoid of commercial buildings.

1 Like

Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Onewazobia(m): 11:08am On Dec 26, 2022
PointZerom:
I won't forget the dirty things I did in this devil's abode. GOD HAVE MERCY.

Ameen and may the Lord help you not to turn back to such life style in Jesus name
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by JuanDeDios: 11:28am On Dec 26, 2022
naptu2:

I was going from Lekki to Ikoyi early in the morning on Christmas day either 2017 or 2018, when I got to this traffic jam on Ozumba Mbadiwe Road. What was the cause? These mad people were doing their 36 hour party and they parked right on the road (both carriageways) on Ozumba Mbadiwe Road.
Imagine this level of irresponsibility on a major road like Ozumba. I think the law should have a clause that allows the government to revoke the place's licence and close it PERMENENTLY after it's been shut down or fined two or three times.
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by tamdun: 11:44am On Dec 26, 2022
tunapawizzy:
Ofcourse Shina Peller dun comot APC ..na now e just turn noise maker.....na dia wahala both owner and ApC government....anyhow dem like, make dem do each other
This isn't the first ,same club was closed when he was apc
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by tunapawizzy: 11:58am On Dec 26, 2022
femlad97:
this is definitely coming from someone who hasn't been to lagos...you are big mumu...Sha try ask your friends in VI you will know there is traffic congestion and too much noice in that neighborhood.... alot of people of influence leave in that area they must surely invite the government to take actions
hahaha....carry Island matter for head like who dem just bring from village
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Backpedal: 12:11pm On Dec 26, 2022
azikiweironsi:

Very quick to change the narrative. He didn't bother to read it but quickly to conclude that it may be political. But who says it's an hotel in the first place.
Hatred has blind their face to read before commenting. How is the politics been run in the SE ?
What does south east have to do with this now ?
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by teepain: 1:08pm On Dec 26, 2022
tabaralph:

Immediately SHINA peller the son of late professor peller that owns Quilox left apc few months back I know something like this will happened

This is not entirely true. Even while Shina was in APC, Quilox has been sanctioned in the past a number of times so this is not about any political witch-hunt. This is a routine action when residents complain and the club will still be opened. This is quite unlike the situation where the Government goes to demolish citizens' buildings indiscriminately.
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by naptu2: 1:18pm On Dec 26, 2022
Afrieyes:
The Lagos State Environmental Protection Agency (LASEPA) says it has sealed more than 28 hotels due to non-compliance with the environmental laws of the state.

Mr Adebola Shabi, the General Manager of LASEPA, said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos on Monday.

“We just don’t go about sealing indiscriminately, we give warning and failure to comply, ends with a sealing of such property.

“We have standard laws on pollution — noise and air emissions are part of such pollution.”

He said the defaulters would be compelled to sign an undertaking or put in place an action plan to forestall a recurrence, before the facilities would be unsealed.

http://www.afrieyes.com/2015/12/environment-lasepa-seals-28-hotels.html
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Jostoman: 1:19pm On Dec 26, 2022
grandstar:
Quilox should be closed down asap. A nightclub shouldn't be at such a location. It will create severe traffic jams.

Its' continuous presence at that location is an indictment on the officials of Lagos
Why dindn't you say this when he was in apc?
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by naptu2: 1:20pm On Dec 26, 2022
naptu2:
This Twitter thread by LASEPA addresses two of my greatest criticisms of the agency.

1) They often do not carry the public along when responding to complaints. Sometimes people make complaints and LASEPA might take action based in those complaints, but they often do not tell the complainant the action that they are taking to address the problem. Now the residents will be carried along because the owners of the premises that are shut will need to get a guarantee from the residents association

2) LASEPA usually does not respond to complaints on Twitter. For many years the agency only focused on tweeting about actions that it has taken and about the activities of its general manager. It did not interact with members of the public. That has changed. People tweeted their complaints on this thread and the handler responded to them.

PRESS STATEMENT

"NOISE POLLUTION "

*YOU MUST GET GUARANTEE FROM YOUR RESIDENTS ASSOCIATIONS BEFORE YOU ARE REOPENED-LASG*

As State reads riot act to owners of hotels, night clubs, leisure homes and religious centres who engage in noise pollution

The Lagos State Government on Tuesday read the riot act to operators of night clubs, bars, karaoke centres, churches and mosques in the state that were shut down due to noise pollution, that they will not be reopened until a letter of guarantee is issued on their behalf by the residents association of such area.

The Commissioner for the Environment and Water Resources, Mr Tunji Bello explained that it was also discovered that many of such leisure centres/religious homes after being reopened by the State Government usually go back to the same noise pollution for which they were earlier axed, adding that this prompted the issue of involving the residents associations.
#NoToReopeningWithoutResidentsAssent

https://twitter.com/LasepaInfo/status/1194558360122732545

Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Jostoman: 1:20pm On Dec 26, 2022
aycapri:
but why this festive period?
Dont mind them.
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by naptu2: 1:21pm On Dec 26, 2022
naptu2:

Here's the reason for this policy (although I think it should be #NoToReopeningWithoutComplainantsAssent.

Often times people complain to LASEPA and LASEPA goes to inspect the premises without informing the complainant. If necessary, LASEPA issues a warning to the defaulter without informing the complainant. If the defaulter continues to break the law, then LASEPA seals the premises.

However, after a period of time, if the defaulter takes steps to comply with the law, for example, removing the offending loudspeakers and signing an undertaking that he won't break the law, then LASEPA might reopen the premises. Some defaulters wait a few months and then start to break the law again.

This practice makes a lot of people to believe that LASEPA is not effective. I have spoken to a lot of people who believe that LASEPA does not respond to their complaints. This is because LASEPA has not carried them along and informed them of the actions that they are taking.

This is an attempt to keep the stakeholders, i.e. the residents that are complaining, in the loop.

Although, like I said, I believe that they should seek feedback from the complainant, not the residents' association.

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. This woman was persistent, but not many people are as persistent.

She reported a church to LASEPA. They came and inspected the church, but they did not tell her the result of their inspection. The church continued to disturb the neighbourhood. She made many more reports, but nothing changed. Then she took matters into her own hands. She went to complain directly at the church, but they then used her as a prayer point. She documented all the actions that she had taken and sent them to LASEPA.

Finally, one day, the church announced that they were changing the venue of their midnight services because someone kept reporting them to LASEPA.

https://www.nairaland.com/5170712/woman-reports-noisy-church-lasepa#78125208
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by naptu2: 1:22pm On Dec 26, 2022
Jostoman:

Is that the reason why the same club was closed for the same offence in 2019 when he was in APC?

1 Like

Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Jostoman: 1:22pm On Dec 26, 2022
RobsonsTARz:
I thought that building is sound proof?

Hope it' s not political sha
na political
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by naptu2: 1:23pm On Dec 26, 2022
Jostoman:
na political

Is the outside (where the 36 hour party was held) soundproof?

1 Like

Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Jostoman: 1:26pm On Dec 26, 2022
tollyboy5:

THIS IS LAGOS
You have to have sense, ignorance of the law is not our business neither is it an excuse.

This is not southeast where anything goes. Thanks.
continue decieving yourself with your lagos state witch hunt of opposition candidate.
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by ASAPFERG: 1:32pm On Dec 26, 2022
DMerciful:
You're not from Lagos. Why does most Yorubas claim to come from Lagos?
it is none of your business you osu
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by ASAPFERG: 1:38pm On Dec 26, 2022
arantess:
No You have to leave your comfort zone and see the world
It happened in PH too
Travel and see
thunder fire useless portharcourt
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by grandstar(m): 1:39pm On Dec 26, 2022
Jostoman:

What does party politics have to do with this? I am speaking from an unbiased point, from someone who read Estate management with town planning as a borrowed course.
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by gaby(m): 1:42pm On Dec 26, 2022
tollyboy5:

90% chances says he's from the east. I've been on here since 2015 Its most likely to know where certain person is from after noticing several comments from the person.
I'm from Lagos and I replied when I think I'm supposed to.

Bastard urchin.

Now I understand where your frustration is coming from.

Foolish pikin wey armed robber and prostitute produce.
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Sermwell(m): 2:23pm On Dec 26, 2022
tollyboy5:

Yes you're right. But it doesn't make me wrong either.
It's easier to call some certain moniker easterners or someone who is CLosely and more related and sympathize with southeasterners base on comment posted.
You still don't want to get it! How can you tell someone's tribe or region on a faceless forum by mere moniker? Anybody can use any moniker they like. I can choose to use Uche001 as a moniker even though I'm from the west or North. Some people even pose as female when they are actually male. Check mannabbqgrill as example. Please don't be gullible on this forum.
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by tollyboy5(m): 2:24pm On Dec 26, 2022
Sermwell:

You still don't want to get it! How can you tell someone's tribe or region on a faceless forum by mere moniker? Anybody can use any moniker they like. I can choose to use Uche001 as a moniker even though I'm from the west or North. Please don't be gullible on this forum.
No one could tell anything at 100% accuracy doesn't mean we're that stvpid.

Now mind your business!
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Sermwell(m): 2:27pm On Dec 26, 2022
tollyboy5:

No one could tell anything at 100% accuracy doesn't mean we're that stvpid.

Now mind your business!

You're actually stupid ohh! I'm sure you don't know yet! Continue grin grin
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by tollyboy5(m): 2:29pm On Dec 26, 2022
Sermwell:

You're actually stupid ohh! I'm sure you don't know yet! Continue grin grin
I knew that's your Identity, reason I've chosen to ignore you.
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Mrtaye: 2:56pm On Dec 26, 2022
naptu2:

As many people have pointed out, the club building is soundproofed. The problem is that they are having 36 hour party outside not inside the club building.
Okay
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by Tegabadguy(m): 3:26pm On Dec 26, 2022
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by frankfab(m): 5:26pm On Dec 26, 2022
This is politically driven. Because Shina Peller decamped from APC to Accord party to run for Senate.
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by babyfaceafrica: 5:37pm On Dec 26, 2022
Revolution2022:
Is it tinubu that arrange it?

How did Tinubu enter this matter, is he from Oyo state?
Re: Noise Pollution: Lagos Shuts Quilox Club by OrigeenalSeven: 1:31am On Dec 30, 2022
PointZerom:
I won't forget the dirty things I did in this devil's abode. GOD HAVE MERCY.
did you raped one of the hotel staff or you eat you no pay you run with their money

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tinubu Accepts Joe Biden's Invitation To Discuss At UN General Assembly / The Triple-camera System: Apple Launches iphone 11 In Nigeria / Meet Old Mama Who Didn't Sleep Till Tinubu Was Announced Winner (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.