Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,360 members, 7,836,468 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad (36790 Views)

The Bad Behaviour Of Some Nigerians Abroad / How Nigerians Abroad Complain About Loneliness Amazes Me / Nigerians Abroad, How Do You Cope With The Coronavirus Issue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by Laple0541(m): 1:54pm On Dec 27, 2022
obedience4:

I said rightly, I just believe the guy is Nigerian, but what he said about Nigerians is true,
I don't live in Nigeria

No wonder your moniker is Obidense, what will he stand to gain by bringing Ghanaians issues to a Nigerian platform? Are there Ghanaians here that he's trying to victimize?

1 Like

Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by int0x80(m): 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2022
obedience4:
A Nigerian in disguise trying to rightly hype Nigerians
It's not about hyping, I have personally lifted up few Ghanaians here. I like their humility and eagerness to learn. But once, they start making small cash. They will start calling you "Charlie" and be tryna rub shoulders with you. Typical of human beings sha grin grin
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by ukaface(f): 2:19pm On Dec 27, 2022
Who
Don’t get it twisted o
Nigerians bad o
We just Dey disguise
Tribalism is a problem amongst them o
Nigerians get Wahala o
When them show you shege you go know
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by olisaEze(m): 2:22pm On Dec 27, 2022
Okay.... and jollof rice nko, who win am?? grin
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by RestructureNig4: 2:31pm On Dec 27, 2022
VGlobal:
WORKING & LIVING WITH NIGERIANS ABROAD

Being a Ghanaian, I’ve had this bad impression about Nigerians. I grew up in Ghana thinking Nigerians were negative energies around anyone. I was literally brainwashed mostly by the media to see Nigerians as thieves, murderers, scammers, etc. But after 6 years of working and associating with Nigerians outside of Ghana, the following are what I’ve found and discovered about them. I’m writing this not because my best friend back in the UK is a Nigerian, and not because my senior manager and team lead at my present employer are Nigerians. This is my honest observation!

Arguably, if you put the average Ghanaian and a Nigerian under the same conditions and environment, the Nigerian would undoubtedly outperform the Ghanaian. They are bold, smart and have this relentless quest and effort for learning and perfecting their craft. What a Nigerian cannot do does not exist. I started a DevOps Engineering program for a career alternative and Nigerians especially their women from different career fields constitute about 60% of the class. I was scared to take this step—to move from risk management to pure IT but I was shocked to see Nigerians in nursing, HR, journalism, sales, etc here in Canada taking on the challenge. I quickly reached out to most of my Ghanaian friends but none seem to be interested. This is a fortune field in IT….and when I asked these Nigerians why many of them are here, they told me “this is the surest way to make money by doing less”. Truth is, if you’re starting anything abroad and there’s no Nigerian in it, just know that that thing has no promise ��. A Nigerian wouldn’t attempt what doesn’t bring any monetary gain or value to them!

I’ve noticed that a Nigerian wouldn’t lie to you unless they’re scared of you or stand to gain something exceedingly beneficial from doing so. This confirms why the most genuine and honest folks I’ve ever associated with outside of Ghana are Nigerians. When a Nigerian is sharing an opportunity with you, they disclose everything dito-dito. They withhold nothing—they tell you as it is. My people would give you a half information and still be all over the place saying that they’ve helped you. You have no idea how many Ghanaians have made themselves demi-gods out here because they’ve been here for ages and feel everything must be ran through them. If you don’t go their way, you’re a target for gossip!

A Nigerian sees an opportunity in every situation, and it cuts across. They’re mostly interested in building a sustainable business than for a quick profit. This explains why wherever there are both Ghanaian and Nigerian traders, the Nigerian merchandise would cost less than the Ghanaian—even if they have the same suppliers. I see that here in Calgary at the various African markets.

Show me any work environment or office without a Nigerian and I’ll show you a work that’s less fulfilling and rewarding. The energy around Nigerians is positive and motivating. Nothing scares them than failure so they work hard for success because success is greatly celebrated in their culture. Where I come from, if you’re making any progress, there’s 100% chance you’ll lose 99% of your friends—they’ll spread lies about you out of dislike. Some would also attribute your progress to things other than your personal efforts. “You see that girl, she’s being chopped by so so and so person. You see that guy, he’s an occult. You see that guy, he’s rushing in life. Etc”. Your own family would turn themselves into avowed enemies—praying to see you fail so that they’ll use you as a bad example like “you see that guy, he was rushing in life but see how he’s crushed like a fragile glass.” My people have a long way to go. They must know that it’s okay for anyone irrespective of age to be great at what they do. In fact, people can build a fortune at age 40 or less through genuine means. Let’s inhale some positivity!

We glorify timidity, ignorance and sycophancy as signs of humility but Nigerians encourage boldness, assertiveness and being daring. If there’s a Nigerian in your trade or profession, get closer, you’ll learn a lot from them. I’ve learned a lot from my association with them and I’m always grateful for having one as my direct supervisor at work!

~The End~
By Jay Kwashie

Link
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by Reference(m): 2:32pm On Dec 27, 2022
So how come they cannot organize themselves into a qualitative society when they are present in numbers like in their homeland.

Something just doesn't add up.
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by Desusi: 2:38pm On Dec 27, 2022
obedience4:
You're a cynical fellow. Period.
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by sharone21(f): 2:39pm On Dec 27, 2022
There are smart, good, hardworking people in every society.... Nigeria has many smart and hard-working people.

A Nigerian( Igbo) woman I knew at a time was married to a Ghanaian man and both lived in Lagos, she had up to 7-8 kids but some died, ALL are female children, but if you see the way the woman talks about her Ghanaian husband who is a top Carpenter in a big furniture company, you will love the man instantly..... He LOVES his kids and her and tries not to miss buying things for them to make them happy.... Every weekend his company gives him extra allowances and being a family oriented man everything he does his wife is aware of. A really hardworking and thoughtful man.

Cameroonians are hardworking but not well channeled or directed.....Most are nice and lovable and maybe out of 95% being good, 5% may be competitive with Nigerians but this minority do not count. And they don't help themselves as much like us when they make it, the way we try to help our loved ones.

If left with the Indians/ Pals and Filipinos many information on the YouTube space will just be for themselves as they like to speak more of their languages but when Nigerians( especially Nigerian women) entered the YouTube space, they demystified a lot of things which even emboldened other Africans to get into doing YouTube videos.

Nigeria is bad because of bad leaders, we can get it right if we all of us begin to act rightly/ properly.

2 Likes

Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by Desusi: 2:41pm On Dec 27, 2022
Soso990240:
People generalize things too much. Definitely not all Nigerians are bad.. But Ghanaians and South Africans makes it look like all Nigerians are bad.. not fair to the good people around.
"In every community,there's a black sheep in a family.' German proverb.
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by ugbanante: 2:42pm On Dec 27, 2022
Thank you so ur positive assessment of Nigerians outside Nigeria. Infact, this piece is timely as I have my guys outside Nigeria telling me it's best to avoid Nigerians especially when u don't have complete paperwork.
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by wethebest(m): 2:47pm On Dec 27, 2022
Kharol1234:
Yahoo boys no they gree share update

And na there d real block dey cheesy. Some street men outside naija don make billions of naira frm yahoo. No mata d job u do abroad, u no go eva meet their networth bt dem no go eva share dat update.

Am not supporting yahoo oo but jst note if u have eva collected money b4 doing anything in an office dat ws suppose to free, u re also into yahoo jst dat na local one u be
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by jelel6: 2:48pm On Dec 27, 2022
fatytoy333:

But in reference to his experience, so far the Nigerians he came across have impacted positively on him, and that's the positive image we are trying to promote here.

I'm happy for him for his experiences with Nigerian.

But I think the fact we are even talking about one man's positive experience with Nigerians, and how it can do wonders to the country's image, that should tell you how low the perception of the country and its people really is at the moment.

There are uncountable Nigerians working in all manner of works of life in diaspora that are having great positive impact on the system, economy of their host countries, i know of a surgeon in West Fargo, ND, a Nigerian, he's one of the best in Robotic surgery. They are all over the places bro, very honest Nigerians.

Thankgod for your honest surgeon accquitance. We we need more people like him. Unfortunately, however good they conduct themselves in their host countries, the impact back home rather negligible to non-existent. Perception is almost always the by-product of what thy hands bring forth, not vice versa.

Please let's change our mentality.

Agreed. That means we start worrying first about things we can control, like doing what's right and demanding same from those around us. Before we start falling over ourselves whenever a Ghanaian, European, or An American says something "basic" about us.

NB: Except you are non Nigerian trying to run us down as being a Nation of totally dishonest people.
#Icomeinpeace

Perhaps, the biggest issue I see with Nigerians - always so touchy and take almost every comment, especially when perceived as a criticism, like it was personal.

"I have to be a non-nigerian. Otherwise, I would have ride the ego-trip."

There has to be a WE Vs THEM angle to every opinion. You, my friend, is definitely a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by 1Sharon(f): 2:53pm On Dec 27, 2022
sukkot:
grin charle tell us how the nigerian would blow out the whole office during lunch time with smell of abula and iru and shaki

Ghanaians eat those things too you know

1 Like

Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by Kharol1234: 2:56pm On Dec 27, 2022
wethebest:

And na there d real block dey cheesy. Some street men outside naija don make billions of naira frm yahoo. No mata d job u do abroad, u no go eva meet their networth bt dem no go eva share dat update.

Am not supporting yahoo oo but jst note if u have eva collected money b4 doing anything in an office dat ws suppose to free, u re also into yahoo jst dat na local one u be
True talk
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by obedience4(m): 2:58pm On Dec 27, 2022
Laple0541:

No wonder your moniker is Obidense, what will he stand to gain by bringing Ghanaians issues to a Nigerian platform? Are there Ghanaians here that he's trying to victimize?

Of cause my course mates some Ghanaians, even South Africans are nairalanders, I don't know why you taking a comment a made just for sarcasm too serious..
Take the c pill brother
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by sukkot: 2:59pm On Dec 27, 2022
1Sharon:

Ghanaians eat those things too you know
oh for real ? shocked grin i guess we are brothers and sisters . charle me breda
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by MoneyMustBMade(m): 3:00pm On Dec 27, 2022
Kaysalas:

Haha? Must you always soil an otherwise good thread with your tribalism? Where, how and when did the O.P opine it's mostly or most especially Igbo? You people can be so boastful over inanities.

Lol Sorry Boss
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by Microwhy: 3:03pm On Dec 27, 2022
StrongAlphMale:
A Nigerian wouldn’t attempt what doesn’t bring any monetary gain or value to them!

Unfortunately the same country some daft humans are planning to vote in a disaster again just as they did before but their plans has failed woefully
Fvck you...
Must you bring this shit to every corner? Nigerians don't wait for just one single person called President to come and change their story. The meltdown is global.
The more your type wake up, the better for your unborn children.
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by Microwhy: 3:05pm On Dec 27, 2022
VGlobal:

Being a Ghanaian, I’ve had this bad impression about Nigerians. I grew up in Ghana thinking Nigerians were negative energies around anyone. I was literally brainwashed mostly by the media to see Nigerians as thieves, murderers, scammers, etc. But after 6 years of working and associating with Nigerians outside of Ghana, the following are what I’ve found and discovered about them. I’m writing this not because my best friend back in the UK is a Nigerian, and not because my senior manager and team lead at my present employer are Nigerians. This is my honest observation!

Arguably, if you put the average Ghanaian and a Nigerian under the same conditions and environment, the Nigerian would undoubtedly outperform the Ghanaian. They are bold, smart and have this relentless quest and effort for learning and perfecting their craft. What a Nigerian cannot do does not exist. I started a DevOps Engineering program for a career alternative and Nigerians especially their women from different career fields constitute about 60% of the class. I was scared to take this step—to move from risk management to pure IT but I was shocked to see Nigerians in nursing, HR, journalism, sales, etc here in Canada taking on the challenge. I quickly reached out to most of my Ghanaian friends but none seem to be interested. This is a fortune field in IT….and when I asked these Nigerians why many of them are here, they told me “this is the surest way to make money by doing less”. Truth is, if you’re starting anything abroad and there’s no Nigerian in it, just know that that thing has no promise ��. A Nigerian wouldn’t attempt what doesn’t bring any monetary gain or value to them!

I’ve noticed that a Nigerian wouldn’t lie to you unless they’re scared of you or stand to gain something exceedingly beneficial from doing so. This confirms why the most genuine and honest folks I’ve ever associated with outside of Ghana are Nigerians. When a Nigerian is sharing an opportunity with you, they disclose everything dito-dito. They withhold nothing—they tell you as it is. My people would give you a half information and still be all over the place saying that they’ve helped you. You have no idea how many Ghanaians have made themselves demi-gods out here because they’ve been here for ages and feel everything must be ran through them. If you don’t go their way, you’re a target for gossip!

A Nigerian sees an opportunity in every situation, and it cuts across. They’re mostly interested in building a sustainable business than for a quick profit. This explains why wherever there are both Ghanaian and Nigerian traders, the Nigerian merchandise would cost less than the Ghanaian—even if they have the same suppliers. I see that here in Calgary at the various African markets.

Show me any work environment or office without a Nigerian and I’ll show you a work that’s less fulfilling and rewarding. The energy around Nigerians is positive and motivating. Nothing scares them than failure so they work hard for success because success is greatly celebrated in their culture. Where I come from, if you’re making any progress, there’s 100% chance you’ll lose 99% of your friends—they’ll spread lies about you out of dislike. Some would also attribute your progress to things other than your personal efforts. “You see that girl, she’s being chopped by so so and so person. You see that guy, he’s an occult. You see that guy, he’s rushing in life. Etc”. Your own family would turn themselves into avowed enemies—praying to see you fail so that they’ll use you as a bad example like “you see that guy, he was rushing in life but see how he’s crushed like a fragile glass.” My people have a long way to go. They must know that it’s okay for anyone irrespective of age to be great at what they do. In fact, people can build a fortune at age 40 or less through genuine means. Let’s inhale some positivity!

We glorify timidity, ignorance and sycophancy as signs of humility but Nigerians encourage boldness, assertiveness and being daring. If there’s a Nigerian in your trade or profession, get closer, you’ll learn a lot from them. I’ve learned a lot from my association with them and I’m always grateful for having one as my direct supervisor at work!

~The End~
By Jay Kwashie

I'm soo cool with this.
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by deebrownneymar: 3:06pm On Dec 27, 2022
VGlobal:

~The End~
By Jay Kwashie

Thanks for the positive feedback about us. However, there is a mix of very bad and very good Nigerians. You’re lucky to have met the good ones.
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by drlateef: 3:10pm On Dec 27, 2022
StrongAlphMale:
A Nigerian wouldn’t attempt what doesn’t bring any monetary gain or value to them!

Unfortunately the same country some daft humans are planning to vote in a disaster again just as they did before but their plans has failed woefully

The only disaster I can see in this election is Peter Obi. I was just listening to someone on radio who stated that Ngige increased IGR of Anambra by 200% and Obiano increased by 500%, but Peter Obi increased IGR by 1%. Who is the disaster? Tinubu increased IGR by 1000% and still increasing till today. Only wise people can see the disaster, not a gala or spareparts seller.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by toxtimmy: 3:13pm On Dec 27, 2022
Show me any Nigerian working in the corporate/professional world (outside the medical field) in the western world that got his or her job from a reference from another Nigerian? After 23 years in the western world I have never or not seen.
I have seen Indians and Chinese giving reference to their fellow others to join them in the corporate/professional high paying jobs.. I know of an Indian racket that's recognized and respected by all Indians over the world that if an Indian ham or woman is manager they would hire easy but they will keep your one or two month salary because they hired you (evil I must say but at least they respect their form of progress).

There are lots of good Nigerians... but very few honest Nigerians.

VGlobal:

~The End~
By Jay Kwashie

Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by imagrg(m): 3:15pm On Dec 27, 2022
Nigerians are the happiest people on earth...they suffer poverty and still smile with their teeth. grin
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by benqo01(m): 3:29pm On Dec 27, 2022
FORGET IT NIGERIANS ARE REALLY TRYING,HARD WORKING PEOPLE ARE IN THIS COUNTRY AND OUTSIDE AS WELL

NA Y JOB WEY OTHERS NO FIT DO NAIJA MAN GO DO AM OUTSIDE
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by madjune(m): 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2022
Well, I know that smart Nigerians abroad avoid fellow Nigerians, to be on the safe side.

1 Like

Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by AreaFada2: 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2022
owagbeba:
You forgot to mention the same characteristics - boldness and assertiveness, do get them into a lot of trouble overseas.

True, these can be seen by some as arrogance and being too loud. But in general 9ja people are quite honest when expressing their feelings but the world values hypocrisy and call it "emotional intelligence" or diplomacy. Being honest gets us into trouble at times.

Also note that some Nigerians can be nicer to non-Nigerians at times. Because some consider things to be a competition with fellow Nigerians. So lots of the things he said of fellow Ghanaians can be applicable among some Nigerians too.
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by irumanle(m): 4:06pm On Dec 27, 2022
obedience4:
I am 101% with you on this. Nigerians are wicked people
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by shantti(m): 4:23pm On Dec 27, 2022
Opportuneke:
The Ghanaian is actually referring to the Omoluabis

omoluabi luwa gi onu there! anu mpama
must u bring division

1 Like

Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by Owologbo(m): 4:32pm On Dec 27, 2022
ahnie:
Beautiful well written zuzu piece. I m proud to be an isoko Nigerian.
Oghene ghale owèh oniôvo.
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by Opportuneke(m): 4:44pm On Dec 27, 2022
shantti:

omoluabi luwa gi onu there! anu mpama
must u bring division

Oga please calm down oooo,

I just talk my own ooo based on say our eastern brothers do say Igbo Amaka.

No hard feelings.

Furthermore, compliment of the season and happy new year in advance.

One love.
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by AngelicBeing: 4:51pm On Dec 27, 2022
cheesy
Re: A Ghanaian Experience With Nigerians Abroad by XAUBulls: 4:53pm On Dec 27, 2022
Codeye:

I agree! I work at immigration office and I put my advert here for free about international passport waiver and fast tracking production, I'm grateful to all the Nigerian that had patronized me. Some even send the payment before meeting me in person. Indeed there are great Nigerians
Impressive.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Pakistan Airlines Air Hostess Flies To Canada, Leaves Note & Goes Missing / Toni Iwobi: I Will Deport Nigerians, Africans Without Papers In Italy" / Pictures Of Crashed Helicopter That Killed Azazi And Yakowa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.