Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,001 members, 7,810,787 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:27 PM

Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? (7072 Views)

APC ’ll Run Down Nigeria Like Lagos – Obanikoro / Boko-Haram Was Planning To Declare Their Own Country - Tukur / Anambra May Soon Be Like Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by lurkee(f): 5:47pm On Sep 03, 2011
So I found this piece of news on BBC. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14774526

A small town in central Italy has declared its independence and started to print its own banknotes. The authorities in Filettino, 100km (70 miles) east of Rome, are protesting against austerity measures.

It has only 550 inhabitants and under new rules aimed at cutting local administration costs it will be forced to merge with neighbouring Trevi.

Town mayor Luca Sellari, who stands to lose his job because of the eurozone crisis, came up with the idea.

He created his own currency, called the Fiorito. Banknotes have his head on the back, and they are already being used in local shops and being bought as souvenirs by tourists who have started to throng the normally quiet streets.

The mayor says there is enormous enthusiasm about declaring the independence of the new principality.

There has been such an outcry by small towns across Italy at the government move to abolish local councils and merge them with larger towns that Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's coalition may be forced to backtrack.

In the meantime the new Principality of Filettino - complete with coat of arms and website - is suddenly enjoying international fame.

TV stations from as far afield as Russia have been running news features about Filettino.

After all, the mayor says, Italy was once made up of dozens of principalities and dukedoms. As he says, the landlocked republic of San Marino still manages to survive, so why not Filettino?

I wonder whether somewhere like Lagos can just decide to "free" itself from Nigeria and become its own country with laws, currency and other economic tools. I think the Vatican is something like that, as in, its is a country even though it is in Rome.

I am not fervent in Economics and Politics so I am hoping to get intelligent responses as to whether this is possible in Nigeria of today.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by EkoIle1: 6:04pm On Sep 03, 2011
It's very possible.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by lurkee(f): 6:10pm On Sep 03, 2011
Eko Ile:

It's very possible.

OK, but do you think it is realistic in Nigeria of today? If Fashola wanted to do it with the support of Lagosians, how do you think "the powers that be" in Abuja would handle it?
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:19pm On Sep 03, 2011
With the duo of BAT and BRF it is not only possible, they have already done it, what remains is to pass it up for signing grin
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by tpia5: 6:23pm On Sep 03, 2011
Nigerians seem unable to think outside of certain mindsets.

Almost everything and every conversation leads back to one predictable ending.

I wonder why this is so.

Is it from the british?

Colonialism and all that.

Or they still fighting for the end of the slave trade centuries after it was abolished.

Curious.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 03, 2011
Doing so will require Fashola (the Governor and Chief Security Officer) to be removed first.
But then, this act is considered treasonable under Nigerian laws.

Criminal Code Act, Chapter 77, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990
41.         Any person who forms an intention to effect any of the following purposes, that is to say-
(a)            to remove during his term of office otherwise than by constitutional means the President as Head of State of the Federation and Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces thereof; or
(b)           to likewise remove during his term of office the Governor of a State; or
(c)            to levy war against Nigeria in order by force or constraint to compel the President to change his measures or counsels, or in order to put any force or constraint upon, or in order to intimidate or overawe any House of the National Assembly or any other Legislature or legislative authority; or
(d)            to instigate any foreigner to make any armed invasion of Nigeria or of any of the territories thereof; and manifests such intention by an overt act, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for life.
                A person charged with any of the felonies defined in this section is not entitled to he acquitted on the ground that any act proved to have been committed by him constitutes the offence of treason; but a person who has been tried, and convicted or acquitted, on a charge of any such offence cannot he afterwards prosecuted for treason in respect of the same facts.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 6:25pm On Sep 03, 2011
tpia@:

Nigerians seem unable to think outside of certain mindsets.

Almost everything and every conversation leads back to one predictable ending.
I wonder why this is so.
Is it from the british?
Colonialism and all that.
Or they still fighting for the end of the slave trade centuries after it was abolished.
Curious.

We have simply refused to think for ourselves since the Amalgamation
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by efisher(m): 6:51pm On Sep 03, 2011
I wish we could be that mature.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by lurkee(f): 6:51pm On Sep 03, 2011
eGuerrilla:

Doing so will require Fashola (the Governor and Chief Security Officer) to be removed first.
But then, this act is considered treasonable under Nigerian laws.

Criminal Code Act, Chapter 77, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 1990
41.         Any person who forms an intention to effect any of the following purposes, that is to say-
(a)            to remove during his term of office otherwise than by constitutional means the President as Head of State of the Federation and Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces thereof; or
(b)           to likewise remove during his term of office the Governor of a State; or
(c)            to levy war against Nigeria in order by force or constraint to compel the President to change his measures or counsels, or in order to put any force or constraint upon, or in order to intimidate or overawe any House of the National Assembly or any other Legislature or legislative authority; or
(d)            to instigate any foreigner to make any armed invasion of Nigeria or of any of the territories thereof; and manifests such intention by an overt act, is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for life.
                A person charged with any of the felonies defined in this section is not entitled to he acquitted on the ground that any act proved to have been committed by him constitutes the offence of treason; but a person who has been tried, and convicted or acquitted, on a charge of any such offence cannot he afterwards prosecuted for treason in respect of the same facts.

Thanks for the info but does the legal babble up there roughly translate to:
a. It is treason to forcefully remove the head of state
b. Likewise for a Governor of a state
c. It is treason to wage war against Nigeria
d. It is treason to instigate a foreigner to invade Nigera

This does not mean that it is treason to leave Nigeria, does it?
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Sep 03, 2011
lurkee:

Thanks for the info but does the legal babble up there roughly translate to:
a. It is treason to forcefully remove the head of state
b. Likewise for a Governor of a state
c. It is treason to wage war against Nigeria
d. It is treason to instigate a foreigner to invade Nigera

This does not mean that it is treason to leave Nigeria, does it?

Madam,

The small  matter of secession, which you raise, would need to be negotiated (with an unyielding Federal Government ) or settled by war.
Which of the options do you find palatable?
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by tpia5: 7:31pm On Sep 03, 2011
Self limiting.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by Beaf: 7:40pm On Sep 03, 2011
If Nigerians push for true federalism, then yes, it would be possible. But right now, any state attempting such would face a fearsome military storm.
So, guys please lets all push for true federalism, regional autonomy and resource control.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by lurkee(f): 7:50pm On Sep 03, 2011
Beaf:

If Nigerians push for true federalism, then yes, it would be possible. But right now, any state attempting such would face a fearsome military storm.
So, guys please lets all push for true federalism, regional autonomy and resource control.

So that is a yes but do it at your own risk?
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by tpia5: 8:03pm On Sep 03, 2011
Lurkee i need to check your nl history because the user id seems familiar.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by Rhino5dm: 8:17pm On Sep 03, 2011
At this pace of development, Nigerians may be forced to acquire VISA before entering LAGOS. cool cool cool
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by Beaf: 8:20pm On Sep 03, 2011
lurkee:

So that is a yes but do it at your own risk?

Indeed. lol
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by ektbear: 8:20pm On Sep 03, 2011
You need an army first. Declaring independence w/o one while having hostile neighbors is foolhardy.

Lagos would be better off as its own country, though, I suspect
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by tpia5: 8:24pm On Sep 03, 2011
I wonder why people just jump up and agree with any topic, no matter how s.tupid.

As i keep saying, other states should develop and the hawks on nl should hold their governors accountable for theregions under their watch instead of always parroting about lagos.

Gosh, i thought most people here said they're overseas.

Did you learn nothing from your sojourns?
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by lurkee(f): 8:34pm On Sep 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

You need an army first. Declaring independence w/o one while having hostile neighbors is foolhardy.

Lagos would be better off as its own country, though, I suspect

Despite living in Lagos most of my life, I cannot point to one natural resource that would make Lagos important to the rest of Nigeria. I know there are lots of infrastructure and there is a big multi-national business presence but that can be moved?  undecided So why would the neighbours be hostile? If Port-Harcourt wanted to secede  then OYO  

So if technically any state can secede, why isn't Boko Haram trying to do so? **I realise this is deviation from the original intent of the first post but I do not mind if you don't.**
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by efisher(m): 8:38pm On Sep 03, 2011
Lagos will not do well as a stand-alone country. Lagos is what it is today because of the oil and its strategic position relative to the rest of Nigeria. The moment you take Lagos away, a new commercial hub will be developed for the rest of the country. If Lagos decides to leave, Nigeria will decide to withdraw all its assets and dealings. You know what that means. It will only make sense for a geopolitical region to pull out. Eg the entire SW or SE states etc.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by ektbear: 8:46pm On Sep 03, 2011
At the two posts above this one. . .

Lagos only gets the oil money currently through the following sources:

1) Oil allocations
2) Indirectly through the offices of certain multinational oil companies (incidentally, some of whom relocated more staff to Lagos as a result of the ND crises)

So if it were a separate nation, it would lose (1) and presumably some portion of (2).

However, Lagos currently does not get the following additional sources of money:
3) Import duties
4) Any revenue from export duties
5) The VAT it generates

My suspicion is that (3), (4) and (5) are worth vastly more than (1) and (2). This is why I think Lagos would be better off. (3) especially. . . can you imagine that all the massive amounts of goods imported through Lagos and the fees associated with those goods don't go to Lagos State, but instead to the FG?
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by efisher(m): 8:54pm On Sep 03, 2011
@ekt, that's the point. The FG will suddenly declare that all goods be imported through Port Harcourt or wherever. It will also mean that ALL the companies that are interested in doing any business in Nigeria will have to relocate to "Nigeria". There are several more implications but the bottomline is Lagos will be 90% dependent on Nigeria and Nigeria can as well do without Lagos!
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by ektbear: 8:56pm On Sep 03, 2011
Nigerian government can declare whatever it likes. But the question is, can it enforce anything? After all, is Benin Republic not making a huge killing importing goods from abroad and exporting to Nigeria? Aren't people making big money smuggling oil out of Nigeria?

So of what value is such a declaration if you cannot control your border?

If Nigeria sets its customs duties to 15%, Lagos sets its own to 10%. People will import through Lagos and then smuggle across the border.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by EkoIle1: 8:58pm On Sep 03, 2011
lurkee:

OK, but do you think it is realistic in Nigeria of today? If Fashola wanted to do it with the support of Lagosians, how do you think "the powers that be" in Abuja would handle it?

It's up to the people and the leaders of Lagos state to vote for it and the state lawmakers putting their stamp on it. Sure, nothing comes easy, but its more than possible. Things have changed, the world of yesterday is not like the world of today. I don't even see any clown bombing Lagos state for such reason, I also don't see the rest of the west sitting on their hands while Lagos is under attack.

Like I said, nothing comes easy, but it's very possible.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by ektbear: 8:59pm On Sep 03, 2011
Truth be told, Lagos State should value having electricity more than having any Nigeria.

Electricity >>>>> Nigeria.

With electricity, your factories can flourish. Then you don't need to trade/export/sell to Nigeria. You can then sell your goods to a planet of 6 billion+ people.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by efisher(m): 9:00pm On Sep 03, 2011
That's a valid point. In all, Lagos is better off as part of Nigeria (Black Africa's largest market) or at least, with the other SW states.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by ektbear: 9:03pm On Sep 03, 2011
It is arguable whether Lagos benefits. Fiscally, almost certainly not (for the reasons I stated a few posts above.)

Policywise, is staying in a country that cannot even get simple electricity right the best course of action? Probably not.

Maybe in some sort of fuzzy, pan-Africa sense, or African solidarity sense it does.

But as far as dollars and cents goes, doubtful.
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by efisher(m): 9:15pm On Sep 03, 2011
If and when Nigeria finally gets its act right, Lagos will benefit a lot.

I can understand that Lagos is actually moving faster than the rest of Nigeria. In fact, "Nigeria" is holding Lagos back! But when things finally take shape, it will be a different story altogether. I however understand your grievance with the Nation Nigeria. Seriously, I feel you. cool
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by ektbear: 9:24pm On Sep 03, 2011
I'm not beefing with Nigeria o!

This isn't about me hating Nigeria. I'm just trying to be realistic. Certain states in this country would be better off on their own.

Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom. These states receive less in value from Nigeria than they contribute.

Others (like my own Ekiti State, for example), probably consume more than they contribute. You feel me?
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by Desola(f): 9:50pm On Sep 03, 2011
Ogun? Why do I doubt that?

What does Ogun give back to Nigeria?
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by asha80(m): 9:51pm On Sep 03, 2011
i believe true federalism is better
Re: Can A City Like Lagos Suddenly Declare Itself Its Own Country? by Beaf: 9:59pm On Sep 03, 2011
ekt_bear:

I'm not beefing with Nigeria o!

This isn't about me hating Nigeria. I'm just trying to be realistic. Certain states in this country would be better off on their own.

[s]Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Delta, Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom[/s]. These states receive less in value from Nigeria than they contribute.

Others (like my own Ekiti State, for example), probably consume more than they contribute. You feel me?

Lagos, Rivers, Delta, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom, Edo, Ondo.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria: South West, Edo Move To Rebuild Lagos-ibadan Expressway / Ndigbo: Before Its Too Late By Abagworo / Nigeria's Former Speaker Join People's Trust, Endorses Hashim For President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.