Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,205 members, 7,829,313 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? (10588 Views)

How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace / How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Job Rejection? / How Did You Cope After Getting A New Job Without Cash At Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by ednut1(m): 3:48pm On Jan 09, 2023
Eastcoastboy:

Ruggedi Baba! How e go nah?

Did they find out later...was there any moment that you were almost caught.
i rugged am cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by campbelljosh(m): 3:58pm On Jan 09, 2023
The first time I got a receptionist job I had no previous experience but one thing about me is whatever I have passion for I grasp it faster. Although I made several mistakes the first few weeks of resumption but those mistakes make me do better.
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by phemmyfour: 4:16pm On Jan 09, 2023
maiiilooo:
I'm just curious, so I decided to throw this question to the house.
Some people are fortunate to be employed or were employed in a job where they had no experience. Maybe as a fresh graduate or probably you lied about having the skills or experience.
So how did you cope during your first days at work ?
Tells your story please, I'm just curious to know.
YouTube n friends that are good on the job to the rescue.

It's the same way you contract school assignment out to machineries while learning about a particular course.
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Akwaokukuo: 4:20pm On Jan 09, 2023
maiiilooo:
I'm just curious, so I decided to throw this question to the house.
Some people are fortunate to be employed or were employed in a job where they had no experience. Maybe as a fresh graduate or probably you lied about having the skills or experience.
So how did you cope during your first days at work ?
Tells your story please, I'm just curious to know.

I had a similar experience.
The rule of fake it until you make it applies most especially when you are abroad because it is hard for companies to verify your claims back in Nigeria.
I was being stack honest and receiving negative feedbacks until I learned the scope and lied softly in my CV.
I claimed the experience I never had in Nigeria and claimed some skills I wasn't proficient in.
Fortunately, I got an invitation and took advantage of the timeframe and prepared myself and confidently passed through the interview stage and got my first profesional job.
My fellow graduates who are still being totally honest are still looking for jobs till now because companies have some things they are looking for which they don't have.

I would advise ou to start now to prepare tirelessly about what you lied for because they will most likely give you some challenging tasks with the hope that you already know the skills needed to do that as you indicated in your CV.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by FaithBrain1994(m): 4:43pm On Jan 09, 2023
VeryBoi:
If i see 2k like this...i fit cry. 8123810136 OPAY
And i don't want to see you cry.
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Exceed15: 5:33pm On Jan 09, 2023
Get close to the guys you met on ground
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by anzaku47(m): 5:49pm On Jan 09, 2023
I almost lost my life in Owo.
No experience plus wicked oga at top. The man na god.
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by SodiumValproate: 7:17pm On Jan 09, 2023
Boogyman557:
This topic don enter FP

Na you be FTC

come tell us how you Bleep Ashawo first time with no experience. cool

WTF man cool

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Jesse6(m): 7:22pm On Jan 09, 2023
Wow this is nice
With my line of study i feel I can do better as an NGO staff but the system is so corrupt now
Olumaeme:
I have been in that shoe before and what i did was to study past records and ask questions.
My first NGO job was though. I got it without knowing anybody. Although it was something in my line of experience but the system is way too complicated. To make the matter worse, the supervisor had a candidate that I defeated obviously and he was bent on frustrating me from the first day.

I had a colleague I was to be working with and what i did was fraternize with him, then took him out for lunch that first day since the induction was going to be a week. At lunch i tole him i liked how how he welcomed me that i was nervous when i was coming but he wowed me like he has known me before and i knew it will be very wonderful to work with him. I told him i will really need his help to stabilize and would be asking him questions if he dosent mind, and booom he accepted and to make the thing sweet, he closes late. So i wait and we close together. After everybody had gone home, all the questions i have for the day or all the difficult tasks, i show it to him and boom he will explain to me.

Also, my boss, i make sure i respect him, greet him in the morning and get him snacks or water when coming back and in 1 month you think that i have been there for years.

I am someone who did lots of politics back in the university, so talking to people and joking was easy for me, and also i am not afraid to ask the most ridiculous question. I show people i am vulnerable and most times, they will help.

I got another job and doubled my pay in 1.5 years with another NGO and now became very good at the processes. I entered into the NGO world as an Admin assistant, now i am a Procurement officer.

Two things help me succeeded, 1. Read! (Past documents, emails, organization manual and procedures) 2. Ask questions!
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by mosho2good: 8:00pm On Jan 09, 2023
I've been looking for job since last two years now, and the private school that I teach is like a slave job, it just only paying for food money, I'm looking for someone that can help me secure a job that I be able to feed myself and my family.
I'm just waiting for graduation list at NOUN to round up my program.
(I stay on Lagos Island).
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Henrysaint1: 8:38pm On Jan 09, 2023
Credit to almighty God�... YouTube was really helpful even up till today.
IT jobs are so dynamic!
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Chibaby87(f): 7:10am On Jan 10, 2023
Gabriel459:

Your location?

Good morning sir/ma
Lagos state. Surulere precisely
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Chibaby87(f): 7:13am On Jan 10, 2023
Jeromejnr:

Let me give you tip..are you in Lagos?

Good morning sir/ma, yes
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Chibaby87(f): 7:14am On Jan 10, 2023
PeterObi4LP:

Send this man message you might be lucky. I have seen him help lot of people. arthurbrown.cbn@gmail.com

Ok, thanks
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Eastcoastboy(m): 6:04pm On Jan 10, 2023
ednut1:
i rugged am cheesy

Sharp man.
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by mediclife1987(m): 10:34pm On Jan 10, 2023
Danielrex:
I got into a Top Financial Service Firm in Abuja as an Audit Analyst with zero work experience, and i must say it has been a rollercoaster.
Ultimately the first thing i realised was Theoretical knowledge from school doesn't really equate practical competence.
it was an uphill climb, so many mistakes, my line manager has over 10-year experience in Auditing from 2 of the Big4 accounting firms so his level of competence is way above mine, funny enough he expects that i should be able to at least match his outputs.
Overtime, keeping an open mind, willingness to learn and self-education will help a whole lot, after every report and audit i go back and check the changes and reviews my boss made to my work, in hope that i won't commit such blunders again.
This has been my mantra for the past 5 months on the job.

Being someone with low self esteem and socially awkward, I'm beginning having issues with relating well with colleagues and one particular girl wants to be using me to rub it...

How do I meander this maze?
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Gbengageorge: 2:35pm On Jan 11, 2023
Well, you dont know what they went through to get their training, so dont blame them, yours is to learn and move on.

Annahh:
I was at the mercy of my colleagues who think they were doing me a favour teaching me things I ought to know, as if nobody taught then during their time, luckily I am a fast learner.
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Danielrex(m): 4:42pm On Jan 11, 2023
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Danielrex(m): 4:44pm On Jan 11, 2023
mediclife1987:

Being someone with low self esteem and socially awkward, I'm beginning having issues with relating well with colleagues and one particular girl wants to be using me to rub it...

How do I meander this maze?
Hello, as a young professional your major strength is your level of competence and emotional intelligence.
After my first 3 months here, i was subjected to a performance appraisal and to be honest i knew deep down that i didn't merit my overall score.
I work with a lady, who is below me in rank, but has more experience (she has been working with the Lead Auditor before i joined), during my appraisal it was her kind words and (maybe) my relationship with the Lead Auditor that helped.
I ensured that i was respectful, friendly and diligent. i asked a million questions and i was always willing to take on extra tasks.
I try to maintain a good work relationship with my team members.
In building and maintaining work relationships, first you need to have an understanding that this is WORK and whatever happens here is WORK, so if you feel anyone is taking advantage of you and it is outside of your WORK then i honestly feel you should find a polite way of rejecting such extra burdens.
Mind you, i am not saying you should not bear extra team tasks or extra tasks designated or delegated to you.
Lastly, even as an extrovert it is sometimes difficult to blend into the company culture (just like your first day in the University), but what always work for me is a for at least my first month i operate on an even tempo (not too friendly and not too snubbish). This is because most times as new staffs in a company in our bid to appear friendly and approachable we tend to overdo and give people a false perspective.
We want to be seen as friendly, but we end up being perceived as unserious and unprofessional.
After you maintain this even tempo for a while, your emotional intelligence would help you know and determine certain member of staff that you can cool and relaxed with and others that should be on a ''greet and let's work basis''
I hope this helps.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Jeromejnr(m): 1:58pm On Jan 12, 2023
Chibaby87:

Good morning sir/ma, yes

Go to Palmpay at GRA and say you want to see the HR and say you want to apply to be part of the Flexi team. That's all. It's not sales or walkabout job no worry. You might work from home or the office. They are looking for people.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hi There, Please Rate How Helpful Your Bank Is In The Comment Section. / Federal Civil Service Mass Recruitment / NUPEC Recruitment How Real?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.