Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,391 members, 7,819,402 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? (10573 Views)

How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace / How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Job Rejection? / How Did You Cope After Getting A New Job Without Cash At Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by PeterObi4LP: 10:34am On Jan 09, 2023
Chibaby87:
Let me get the job first. God please bless me with a good job and am I tired of staying at home. Please someone should connect me

Send this man message you might be lucky. I have seen him help lot of people. arthurbrown.cbn@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by ednut1(m): 10:35am On Jan 09, 2023
cheesy my first job in 2014 i lied i was good in excel. That weekend I went to my padi house to learn it. Na google any YouTube i use learn SAGE accounting software. There was no one there to train me. They assumed because i was already a chartered accountant I suppose known everything. Last last you learn on the job.

10 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by imoh4king(m): 10:35am On Jan 09, 2023
I was connected and recommended thru a very prominent person (name withheld) for an adminstrative job.
It was so devastating becos I could not even prepare a salary payroll voucher.

Thats why, people skill is so much underemphasized. How u relate with people is so important. A subordinate had to teach me plenty but he later stopped when he realised how much I was paid compare to him.

Las las, I learnt and focused on my strength which made me indispensable.

11 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Ishilove: 10:35am On Jan 09, 2023
Kept my eyes and mind open, asked a boat load of annoying questions and learned on the job

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Oluwainnie(f): 10:36am On Jan 09, 2023
I learnt on the job, did personal research also.

My boss and colleague were really helpful too in my learning process. I was equally assigned to a senior colleague to fast track my learning process.
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by NaijaCover(m): 10:37am On Jan 09, 2023
Komu1048:

No one in bad news broadcasting grin grin

Na Where, Man Dey Work Na There Him Dey See Him Own Food Take Chop My Brother
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Peezie07(m): 10:40am On Jan 09, 2023
In my own case, i made up my mind to learn and perfect my skills. i got alot of sticks, insults from customers and clients alike but i kept my cool. 2months later, i was promoted.
The others that were employed before me are still stuck in that position. They call me from time to time to put them through. Truth is ,Who God has blessed, no man curses.

8 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by PAQ(m): 10:45am On Jan 09, 2023
I just humbled myself and learnt from everyone, especially my juniors in rank & those there before me. What i didnt know i asked questions, some i googled. Humility made me friends with all and it made learning easier, the junior ranks know the job very well & will teach you what you need cos they know it will favor them having a friend who is a superior rank.

I never showed that i knew too much or too little until i was sure i had understood my duties fully, even then i still didnt show myself, only letting my work speak for itself. Naturally, as i mastered the job, everyone & everything fit into its place while keeping a cordial working relationship.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by alingo2013(m): 10:49am On Jan 09, 2023
I downloaded open University handout and online educational videos

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by alingo2013(m): 10:54am On Jan 09, 2023
PAQ:
I just humbled myself and learnt from everyone, especially my juniors in rank & those there before me. What i didnt know i asked questions, some i googled. Humility made me friends with all and it made learning easier, the junior ranks know the job very well & will teach you what you need cos they know it will favor them having a friend who is a superior rank.

I never showed that i knew too much or too little until i was sure i had understood my duties fully, even then i still didnt show myself, only letting my work speak for itself. Naturally, as i mastered the job, everyone & everything fit into its place while keeping a cordial working relationship.

A lovely right up I envy your simplicity, I on the other hand had to rely on the national open University handout and YouTube for enlightenment, my Junior colleagues wanted my position so I had to be calculate my moves carefully

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by airsaylongcome: 10:56am On Jan 09, 2023
Hmmm! What I learned in Supply Chain management and Warehousing in three months at P&G Warehouse in Ibadan would have killed many other people

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Gabriel459(m): 10:58am On Jan 09, 2023
Chibaby87:
Let me get the job first. God please bless me with a good job and am I tired of staying at home. Please someone should connect me

Your location?
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by GloriousGbola: 11:02am On Jan 09, 2023
It is important to learn the use of software that relates to your job. If you are in an office - excel, word PowerPoint

Engineering autocad, revit

Arch revit photoshop sketchup

Work related Computer literacy

Advertising firm - photoshop illustrator

No one really expects freshers to have working experience but everyone prefers a person who has workable skills and who will not have to be taught from scratch

This is the edge your buta or convenamt grad has. They already have a working knowledge of important tools
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by dre11(m): 11:06am On Jan 09, 2023
I was employed as a casual worker the first time i worked.

I was determined not to last there as a casual worker so after my work schedule i will go into the control room and refinery to do 'boy boy' for the refinery operators and process engineers.

I did a lot of dirty work and relegate my self just to learn and allow them to even make an effort to teach me.

Most of my mates mocked me but the determination to be better didn't stop me

But now..... I can say am making much headway in the chosen profession that earn respect from those that where my teachers and the management staffs

I can say i even earn more than most of my superiors that taught me then.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Danielrex(m): 11:07am On Jan 09, 2023
I got into a Top Financial Service Firm in Abuja as an Audit Analyst with zero work experience, and i must say it has been a rollercoaster.
Ultimately the first thing i realised was Theoretical knowledge from school doesn't really equate practical competence.
it was an uphill climb, so many mistakes, my line manager has over 10-year experience in Auditing from 2 of the Big4 accounting firms so his level of competence is way above mine, funny enough he expects that i should be able to at least match his outputs.
Overtime, keeping an open mind, willingness to learn and self-education will help a whole lot, after every report and audit i go back and check the changes and reviews my boss made to my work, in hope that i won't commit such blunders again.
This has been my mantra for the past 5 months on the job.

7 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Komu1048(m): 11:17am On Jan 09, 2023
post=119860620:

Na Where, Man Dey Work Na There Him Dey See Him Own Food Take Chop My Brother

Abegi, but u no fit fine for real life. Aje!

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Olumaeme: 11:18am On Jan 09, 2023
I have been in that shoe before and what i did was to study past records and ask questions.
My first NGO job was though. I got it without knowing anybody. Although it was something in my line of experience but the system is way too complicated. To make the matter worse, the supervisor had a candidate that I defeated obviously and he was bent on frustrating me from the first day.

I had a colleague I was to be working with and what i did was fraternize with him, then took him out for lunch that first day since the induction was going to be a week. At lunch i tole him i liked how how he welcomed me that i was nervous when i was coming but he wowed me like he has known me before and i knew it will be very wonderful to work with him. I told him i will really need his help to stabilize and would be asking him questions if he dosent mind, and booom he accepted and to make the thing sweet, he closes late. So i wait and we close together. After everybody had gone home, all the questions i have for the day or all the difficult tasks, i show it to him and boom he will explain to me.

Also, my boss, i make sure i respect him, greet him in the morning and get him snacks or water when coming back and in 1 month you think that i have been there for years.

I am someone who did lots of politics back in the university, so talking to people and joking was easy for me, and also i am not afraid to ask the most ridiculous question. I show people i am vulnerable and most times, they will help.

I got another job and doubled my pay in 1.5 years with another NGO and now became very good at the processes. I entered into the NGO world as an Admin assistant, now i am a Procurement officer.

Two things help me succeeded, 1. Read! (Past documents, emails, organization manual and procedures) 2. Ask questions!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by ChukwukaEze: 11:31am On Jan 09, 2023
Too many mistakes that I nearly sacked myself by myself.

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Flexingbaba(m): 11:31am On Jan 09, 2023
I started as a graduate training but the system has this culture of we training ourselves the senior guys always make sure they go extra mile to make sure you learn the job and when it is my turn too i have trained plenty and still training people in my new place of work and plenty are benefiting from it
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Jeromejnr(m): 11:46am On Jan 09, 2023
Chibaby87:

Let me give you tip..are you in Lagos?
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by ebunchi(f): 11:51am On Jan 09, 2023
What God can not do does not exist
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by sheldonbbt: 11:55am On Jan 09, 2023
First job was made possible by my brother. He was leaving the position to a better one and I was employed to take over from him with no industry experience.

I sha coped, surprisingly enough, my brother refused to spoonfeed me. I had to learn almost everything by trial and error.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by ImaIma1(f): 1:00pm On Jan 09, 2023
If you have good team members, they will put you through.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by HoneySwag(f): 1:24pm On Jan 09, 2023
If you have a good boss, he'll teach you as duties and responsibilities comes in... But if you have a bad/ wicked boss, he'll make you look stupid by not working with you but calling the attention of those that have been there before you. You might receive a lot of insults on your mistakes and may not be corrected.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Richdee1(m): 1:51pm On Jan 09, 2023
Olumaeme:
I have been in that shoe before and what i did was to study past records and ask questions.
My first NGO job was though. I got it without knowing anybody. Although it was something in my line of experience but the system is way too complicated. To make the matter worse, the supervisor had a candidate that I defeated obviously and he was bent on frustrating me from the first day.

I had a colleague I was to be working with and what i did was fraternize with him, then took him out for lunch that first day since the induction was going to be a week. At lunch i tole him i liked how how he welcomed me that i was nervous when i was coming but he wowed me like he has known me before and i knew it will be very wonderful to work with him. I told him i will really need his help to stabilize and would be asking him questions if he dosent mind, and booom he accepted and to make the thing sweet, he closes late. So i wait and we close together. After everybody had gone home, all the questions i have for the day or all the difficult tasks, i show it to him and boom he will explain to me.

Also, my boss, i make sure i respect him, greet him in the morning and get him snacks or water when coming back and in 1 month you think that i have been there for years.

I am someone who did lots of politics back in the university, so talking to people and joking was easy for me, and also i am not afraid to ask the most ridiculous question. I show people i am vulnerable and most times, they will help.

I got another job and doubled my pay in 1.5 years with another NGO and now became very good at the processes. I entered into the NGO world as an Admin assistant, now i am a Procurement officer.

Two things help me succeeded, 1. Read! (Past documents, emails, organization manual and procedures) 2. Ask questions!

Oh!! This isnl the reply I've been looking for God bless you

Can you help me out, I'm a graduate of Social work and trying to break into the NGO sector, where did you get jobs you applied for?
What and what can you put me through
How do I apply for jobs, how do I plan and go forward
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Olumaeme: 2:05pm On Jan 09, 2023
Richdee1:

Oh!! This isnl the reply I've been looking for God bless you

Can you help me out, I'm a graduate of Social work and trying to break into the NGO sector, where did you get jobs you applied for?
What and what can you put me through
How do I apply for jobs, how do I plan and go forward

I will give you my own experience.

My first step was looking at my Situation, my educational background, experience and then look up at job websites to know the kind of role that suites me. I use www.ngojobsite.com, www.unjobs.org, www..

Then, i discovered i had more experience in Admin, Logistics and supply chain, Procurement, facilities. Then i started doing professional courses in that line. I did Professional Facility Management training, also I did PGD Logistics and supply chain management, That gave me 2 professional body certifications (Warehousing, and Logistics) and also did HSE courses.

Then i started applying. But before then i went online and did a detailed research about CVs, Cover letters and Interview Preps (lots of Videos on Youtube).

What you do is read the JD then edit your CV to either say you have done what they are asking for or show in your educational and training section that you have been trained to handle that task. If you look at a vacancy, before you apply, ensure that you can do at least 50-60% of the task. Those ones you cant do, start reading them immediately and know how to do them.

Most importantly, you have to be used to not getting called back. The industry is too competitive. I have been part of an interview that for just one role, over 500 people applied.

Don't get tired of applying!

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Emman08: 2:10pm On Jan 09, 2023
Be ready to learn skills quick. Be ready to help, when given a job to do, don't take it as "they're giving me too much work". Do above and beyond. You will grow fast

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by princejohnard(m): 3:12pm On Jan 09, 2023
dre11:
I was employed as a casual worker the first time i worked.

I was determined not to last there as a casual worker so after my work schedule i will go into the control room and refinery to do 'boy boy' for the refinery operators and process engineers.

I did a lot of dirty work and relegate my self just to learn and allow them to even make an effort to teach me.

Most of my mates mocked me but the determination to be better didn't stop me

But now..... I can say am making much headway in the chosen profession that earn respect from those that where my teachers and the management staffs

I can say i even earn more than most of my superiors that taught me then.

Bro, please link me up with any opening. I'm a graduate of chemical engineering
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by kilisi(m): 3:43pm On Jan 09, 2023
Just started one this January without any previous experience. But it has been great so far. Really learning fast on the job. I wish I had this job like 2 or 3 years ago, I would have really gone far in life. And the staff here have been of immense help.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Eastcoastboy(m): 3:44pm On Jan 09, 2023
ednut1:
cheesy my first job in 2014 i lied i was good in excel. That weekend I went to my padi house to learn it. Na google any YouTube i use learn SAGE accounting software. There was no one there to train me. They assumed because i was already a chartered accountant I suppose known everything. Last last you learn on the job.

Ruggedi Baba! How e go nah?

Did they find out later...was there any moment that you were almost caught.
Re: How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? by Eastcoastboy(m): 3:46pm On Jan 09, 2023
alingo2013:

A lovely right up I envy your simplicity, I on the other hand had to really on the national open University handout and YouTube for enlightenment, my Junior colleagues wanted my position so I had to be calculate my moves carefully
Sharp man.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Niit Scholarship Exam: / Massive Recruitment At Queen's College Aba. / A Teaching Job Or A Marketing Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.