Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,112 members, 7,828,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania (56611 Views)

Frozen Lake: A Trip To Lake Simcoe In Ontario ) Pictures) / Road Trip To Hamilton And Naigara Falls Ontario / From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by dontbothermuch: 8:51pm On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

Lol...it's interesting you think I'm a bro grin
Anyways, I digress.

I'm sorry to hear about that. People have different ways of processing relationships, especially when they move to a new place. I don't know how your relationship with your said brother and his family has been or with your family and his immediate family. However, i think you should give them time. Yes, there's an unwritten expectation that a family member that travels abroad should be on a lookout for opportunities to bring the rest of the family over or to share some good with them. However, people are different.

If you want, let's shift standpoints. Imagine you were him, you find yourself in a country where nobody looks like you. And even when you do find people that look like you, you don't even get to talk. If you don't have a stable job (with good salary and benefits), it can be hard. And one with a family, it's not easy. There's a lot of things to say but I can't tell it all.
Also, I don't want to assume you or anyone close to him has billed him or complained to a point where he locked up. Again, I don't know what has transpired in the past.

I had a sister who we regularly talked. We are both in the US. She was ahead, in age and in the society. All of a sudden, she stopped communicating and responding to my messages or even calls. I was surprised! I got worried at some point because I thought she was in trouble or something. Do I know why she stopped communicating with me? Nope. What have I done? I have respected myself and stopped messaging. I put her in my prayers too. Never billed her or even complained about stuff.

Till date, she posts regularly on social media and views my stories sometimes.

All I am saying is, pray for them and work on yourself. When you stop expecting people to act in certain ways, you reduce your chances of getting disappointed by them.

Selah.

So sorry for the bro stuff. I have never billed him.

1 Like

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by dontbothermuch: 8:54pm On Jan 27, 2023
seanwilliam:

Bro forget about him. Husle hard, make money and sponsor yourself
I never said I asked him for money, I'm doing well in Nigeria, I'm only trying to communicate with my elder bro. I still don't know what I did wrong. Like seriously.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by lexy2014: 3:43am On Jan 28, 2023
Borgamaame:

Quite enlightening! Thanks for taking time to share this knowledge. I've learnt something new about Canada. smiley
Much appreciated

you welcome
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by damzy88: 4:28am On Jan 28, 2023
Borgamaame:

Lol...it's interesting you think I'm a bro grin
Anyways, I digress.

I'm sorry to hear about that. People have different ways of processing relationships, especially when they move to a new place. I don't know how your relationship with your said brother and his family has been or with your family and his immediate family. However, i think you should give them time. Yes, there's an unwritten expectation that a family member that travels abroad should be on a lookout for opportunities to bring the rest of the family over or to share some good with them. However, people are different.

If you want, let's shift standpoints. Imagine you were him, you find yourself in a country where nobody looks like you. And even when you do find people that look like you, you don't even get to talk. If you don't have a stable job (with good salary and benefits), it can be hard. And one with a family, it's not easy. There's a lot of things to say but I can't tell it all.
Also, I don't want to assume you or anyone close to him has billed him or complained to a point where he locked up. Again, I don't know what has transpired in the past.

I had a sister who we regularly talked. We are both in the US. She was ahead, in age and in the society. All of a sudden, she stopped communicating and responding to my messages or even calls. I was surprised! I got worried at some point because I thought she was in trouble or something. Do I know why she stopped communicating with me? Nope. What have I done? I have respected myself and stopped messaging. I put her in my prayers too. Never billed her or even complained about stuff.

Till date, she posts regularly on social media and views my stories sometimes.

All I am saying is, pray for them and work on yourself. When you stop expecting people to act in certain ways, you reduce your chances of getting disappointed by them.

Selah.
You're a mature person.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by ednut1(m): 4:35am On Jan 28, 2023
dontbothermuch:
My bro, it's disheartening that my own direct elderly bro wey l follow for back no dey reason me & he stays at Alberta Canada. All my messages, asking what I did wrong, he never replied . I did him no wrong. I am pained. I am in Nigeria & I love him & his family so much. I am sad.
do you know what he is facing where he dey Maybe you don too overbill am
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by chimpad: 5:30am On Jan 28, 2023
Sincerely, been to both countries is diffrent from lived in both countries. Nigerians who haven't lived at least six months in these countries shouldn't talk about how it feels to live there. What u see visiting isn't what you get living here. grin
ElSudani:

I know a few Americans who moved to Canada permanently. Yes, I've been to both countries. I have already mentioned the US population and the economy. The military also, which is probably not your concern as a new immigrant. So, what else?
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by ElSudani: 5:53am On Jan 28, 2023
chimpad:
Sincerely, been to both countries is diffrent from lived in both countries. Nigerians who haven't lived at least six months in these countries shouldn't talk about how it feels to live there. What u see visiting isn't what you get living here. grin

What about the OP then?
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by chimpad: 6:57am On Jan 28, 2023
Sure his like has experienced both.
ElSudani:

What about the OP then?
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by chimpad: 6:57am On Jan 28, 2023
Sure his likes have experienced both.
ElSudani:

What about the OP then?
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by dontbothermuch: 8:48am On Jan 28, 2023
ednut1:
do you know what he is facing where he dey Maybe you don too overbill am

I'm doing very well here in Nigeria. I have never asked him for anything since he left. Things he ought to pay for here in Nigeria, I pay for them with my money. Only what I want is just knowing how he doesn't reply my messages. Mehn! A brother that is like a best friend to me back in the days.

1 Like

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by NumeroUno7(m): 8:57am On Jan 28, 2023
dontbothermuch:

I'm doing very well here in Nigeria. I have never asked him for anything since he left. Things he ought to pay for here in Nigeria, I pay for them with my money. Only what I want is just knowing how he doesn't reply my messages. Mehn! A brother that is like a best friend to me back in the days.

Please I need a job... Can you employ me if possible?
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Geo4646: 2:40pm On Jan 28, 2023
Borgamaame:

Well, not exactly. Being "better structured" can be interpreted differently. If you mean structure in terms of infrastructure, I cannot use Toronto, Ontario as a representative of Canada if I make an attempt to compare Canada to the United States. It will be unfair and an imbalanced comparison. Still on structure in terms of infrastructure, there is a lot of similarity between the U.S states I have visited and Toronto, Ontario. Road networks, road signs designs, metro, streets, etc all look alike. As someone said, if you were blindfolded and dropped in an area in the US, and taken off to another area in Canada, you most likely will not tell where you are except you read signs that may be written in French or if you see KM/H speed limits and very subtle differences.

If you mean structure in terms of beautiful places, Toronto, Ontario has quite a lot of beautiful high-rise buildings (condos, offices, etc) and tourist attractions. This is no different from Boston, Massachusetts, Alexandria, Virginia, Washington D.C., Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, New York, New York, and other US cities I have visited. There are lots of tourist attractions and historic sites in the US as well as Toronto, Ontario. So, I cannot say one is better than the other smiley

I hear the healthcare system and system of benefits is better in Canada (I don't have specific and reliable information to share yet) but I interacted with some Canadians that were of the opinion that they preferred Canada to the US. it was just four people I interacted with that said this. Only one of them has lived in the US and this person prefers Canada to US primarily because the shorter route to permanent residency and few other reasons.

From my little experience, I liked the transport system in Toronto, Ontario. I guess it was great because it is a big city. Until I visit other provinces, I do not have the authority to say 'jack' about Canada.

Chai, see as person dey mentioned places, and I never even go Abuja talk less.. dis if grace nah higher voltage oo. Jst find ur boy small tin, make I use see front clear.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Louis8796: 10:33pm On Jan 28, 2023
How can someone get to the USA through Lagos by Land?
Borgamaame:
Hello Nairaland Fam, hope you are recovering from the 'detty December'.
In the spirit of the new year, follow me on a road trip to Toronto, Ontario in Canada.

Itinerary: Columbus, Ohio - Niagara Falls - Toronto - Brampton - Windsor - Detroit (Michigan) - Columbus, Ohio - Penn State.

I happen to be in Ohio for a few days so I plan to take off from Columbus. The plan is to rent a car for three days (some options include Enterprise, Hertz, Alamo, etc). I think I will settle for Alamo. Got a quote for a mid-size SUV for $345 (does not include insurance) as long as I return at the same location and time as I picked up. If I had opted in for 4 days, I would have been charged a weekly amount. But since it is less than four, I was charged a daily rate which when you add taxes and some other charges adds up to $345.
Gas (fuel): The car's tank will be full on pick up and I'm expected to return it full (except I pay about $54 or so...or a little more or less) and I will not have to worry about returning a full tank. Well, I opted in for returning a full tank.
Insurance: To avoid stories that touch the heart, I will use a rental car insurance company I found online to cover my trip. I will use Bonzah and I got a quote for about $37.

When I decided to embark on this trip, the first thing I did was to map out an itinerary (not necessarily all that will take place in Canada but how to get there by road). I used Google and found several US states that border different parts of Canada. For those in Detroit, Michigan and environs, you can get in through Windsor, Ontario. Those in New York and environs can get in through Buffalo, NY (through the Peace bridge). I think one of the states in New England (comprises Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc) borders Montreal, Quebec. Since Pennsylvania is somewhat closer to New York and I was in Ohio at the time, I decided to enter Canada through Buffalo, New York. The plan was to get to Niagara Falls in Ontario first before moving to Toronto. Google said the drive from John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH) where I pick up my rental car to Niagara Falls in Ontario is approximately 5hrs 24m (352 miles). Kindly note that Ontario is a province while Toronto is a city. Then, from Niagara Falls to my Hotel in Toronto (Days Inn by Wyndham) is approximately 1hr 35 m (141km). U.S uses miles whereas Canada uses kilometers.

Immigration and Border: As long as you are not a U.S passport holder, you require a visa to enter Canada. When I applied, the turn around time was pretty decent. Thankfully, they no longer require covid-19 testing and quarantine as they did during the peak of the covid-19 pandemic. So, less worries.
Let's hit the road.

Pictures attached were taken at the CMH airport...the car rental section.

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Borgamaame: 4:54pm On Jan 30, 2023
Hello fam,
Sorry for the silence from me. I couldn't make comments for a while...I don't know why but I'm glad I can now.
Will respond to the comments here and will continue the thread.

Thanks for hanging in there smiley

2 Likes

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by NumeroUno7(m): 12:13am On Jan 31, 2023
Been worried, thought you have abandoned the thread
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by NumeroUno7(m): 3:46pm On Feb 05, 2023
OP ma, have you abandoned the thread?
Hope you are well and okay 😔
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by websta: 8:41am On Feb 09, 2023
Borgamaame:

Wow! That's interesting. I trust things are working out great for you and your family. Oh yeah, you gotta do what you gotta do. smiley
If you think and are convinced Canada is the best place for your kids, that's great.

Wish you all the best smiley

Hope you get to visit though...?

Sure, I do. I'm not yet married tho. Just want a nice environment. The States is too lousy and terrible for me.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by miolad20(m): 9:54pm On May 18, 2023
CICONTOP:
I love this experience. There's no better way to learn than traveling. Hope to visit this Niagara Falls one day. I've read so much about it.

Watch my tour of Niagara Falls here, it's indeed a sight to behold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vir5nyFQJTc
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Louis8796: 9:10pm On May 19, 2023
Can u do me a favor Borgamme.
Borgamaame:
Hello Nairaland Fam, hope you are recovering from the 'detty December'.
In the spirit of the new year, follow me on a road trip to Toronto, Ontario in Canada.

Itinerary: Columbus, Ohio - Niagara Falls - Toronto - Brampton - Windsor - Detroit (Michigan) - Columbus, Ohio - Penn State.

I happen to be in Ohio for a few days so I plan to take off from Columbus. The plan is to rent a car for three days (some options include Enterprise, Hertz, Alamo, etc). I think I will settle for Alamo. Got a quote for a mid-size SUV for $345 (does not include insurance) as long as I return at the same location and time as I picked up. If I had opted in for 4 days, I would have been charged a weekly amount. But since it is less than four, I was charged a daily rate which when you add taxes and some other charges adds up to $345.
Gas (fuel): The car's tank will be full on pick up and I'm expected to return it full (except I pay about $54 or so...or a little more or less) and I will not have to worry about returning a full tank. Well, I opted in for returning a full tank.
Insurance: To avoid stories that touch the heart, I will use a rental car insurance company I found online to cover my trip. I will use Bonzah and I got a quote for about $37.

When I decided to embark on this trip, the first thing I did was to map out an itinerary (not necessarily all that will take place in Canada but how to get there by road). I used Google and found several US states that border different parts of Canada. For those in Detroit, Michigan and environs, you can get in through Windsor, Ontario. Those in New York and environs can get in through Buffalo, NY (through the Peace bridge). I think one of the states in New England (comprises Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc) borders Montreal, Quebec. Since Pennsylvania is somewhat closer to New York and I was in Ohio at the time, I decided to enter Canada through Buffalo, New York. The plan was to get to Niagara Falls in Ontario first before moving to Toronto. Google said the drive from John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH) where I pick up my rental car to Niagara Falls in Ontario is approximately 5hrs 24m (352 miles). Kindly note that Ontario is a province while Toronto is a city. Then, from Niagara Falls to my Hotel in Toronto (Days Inn by Wyndham) is approximately 1hr 35 m (141km). U.S uses miles whereas Canada uses kilometers.

Immigration and Border: As long as you are not a U.S passport holder, you require a visa to enter Canada. When I applied, the turn around time was pretty decent. Thankfully, they no longer require covid-19 testing and quarantine as they did during the peak of the covid-19 pandemic. So, less worries.
Let's hit the road.

Pictures attached were taken at the CMH airport...the car rental section.

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Louis8796: 9:11pm On May 19, 2023
Are u currently in America?
Mokhaer:

I've visited Niagara falls from Canada side while my road trip to Canada from Chicago. It was amazing trip but you should seek help of any tour company if you're visiting first time to tours Niagara Falls because they give people a unique Niagara Falls tour experience that they don't get with other tours. Anyway, it depends on you that how you wanna enjoy it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The Story Of My Trip To Dubai / Best African Country To Migrate To / Lagos Slum Where Residents Live With Snakes, Crocodiles (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.