Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,518 members, 7,826,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania (56599 Views)

Frozen Lake: A Trip To Lake Simcoe In Ontario ) Pictures) / Road Trip To Hamilton And Naigara Falls Ontario / From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Hollyharjii: 6:52am On Jan 27, 2023
Nice one
One day,I'll surely be there

1 Like

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Nawttiboi007(m): 7:30am On Jan 27, 2023
Nigerian youths we have a critical situation at hand which is reviving our country regardless our tribes, we’re one Nigeria. Let’s make our impact right, the time is now, let’s make them know we’re not lazy, they made it known to our faces that we’re clueless and useless, they didn’t say Igbo or Yoruba or Hausa youths are lazy but Nigerian youths. They’ve succeeded in distabilizing and dividing us, they’ve made our our goals limited. They shit in our faces cos they believe we have no future without them. Let’s kill our sentiments and focus on only one course that we the youth have a major key roles in the development and reviving of our great Nation Nigeria!!! Together we can, together will and together we can stand strong. There’s dignity in labor and if there’s no changes we can still vote them out once we believe the power is in our hands and not some selected evil people that’s been taking us for granted. Vote Labor party, it’s a new dawn!
Borgamaame:

While you may have reasons to believe this, I'd like to have a positive view about Nigerians. We can criticize all we can, we can talk bad all we can, but we need to show love to ourselves and be kind too. You know why? The way people see us behave around ourselves and treat each other is the same way they will treat us and talk about us.
I don't mean we should hide truths or live in denial, but we could give Nigerians the benefit of a doubt.

Mind you, people that live in Canada, US, and other global north countries are humans like us. We all have equal potentials for good and evil but what deters them from going overboard (many do still) are the systems of checks and balances in place and the regard for the rule of law. Once Nigeria strengthens its institutions and we no longer have a society with stronger individuals and weaker systems, a lot will change for good.

Selah.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by akaahs(m): 7:31am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:
From the parking lot to the Falls itself is a bit of a walking distance. Well, I found my way through the signs.
Look around with me smiley
How much do you budgeted for this journey?
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by toluxe0075: 7:36am On Jan 27, 2023
If no be say insecurity dey for this country, na this kind road trip I dey plan. Road trip from south west to South east, from south east to north east, north east to north west. E for bang.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by sapele914(m): 7:45am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:
Hello Nairaland Fam, hope you are recovering from the 'detty December'.
In the spirit of the new year, follow me on a road trip to Toronto, Ontario in Canada.

Itinerary: Columbus, Ohio - Niagara Falls - Toronto - Brampton - Windsor - Detroit (Michigan) - Columbus, Ohio - Penn State.

I happen to be in Ohio for a few days so I plan to take off from Columbus. The plan is to rent a car for three days (some options include Enterprise, Hertz, Alamo, etc). I think I will settle for Alamo. Got a quote for a mid-size SUV for $345 (does not include insurance) as long as I return at the same location and time as I picked up. If I had opted in for 4 days, I would have been charged a weekly amount. But since it is less than four, I was charged a daily rate which when you add taxes and some other charges adds up to $345.
Gas (fuel): The car's tank will be full on pick up and I'm expected to return it full (except I pay about $54 or so...or a little more or less) and I will not have to worry about returning a full tank. Well, I opted in for returning a full tank.
Insurance: To avoid stories that touch the heart, I will use a rental car insurance company I found online to cover my trip. I will use Bonzah and I got a quote for about $37.

When I decided to embark on this trip, the first thing I did was to map out an itinerary (not necessarily all that will take place in Canada but how to get there by road). I used Google and found several US states that border different parts of Canada. For those in Detroit, Michigan and environs, you can get in through Windsor, Ontario. Those in New York and environs can get in through Buffalo, NY (through the Peace bridge). I think one of the states in New England (comprises Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc) borders Montreal, Quebec. Since Pennsylvania is somewhat closer to New York and I was in Ohio at the time, I decided to enter Canada through Buffalo, New York. The plan was to get to Niagara Falls in Ontario first before moving to Toronto. Google said the drive from John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH) where I pick up my rental car to Niagara Falls in Ontario is approximately 5hrs 24m (352 miles). Kindly note that Ontario is a province while Toronto is a city. Then, from Niagara Falls to my Hotel in Toronto (Days Inn by Wyndham) is approximately 1hr 35 m (141km). U.S uses miles whereas Canada uses kilometers.

Immigration and Border: As long as you are not a U.S passport holder, you require a visa to enter Canada. When I applied, the turn around time was pretty decent. Thankfully, they no longer require covid-19 testing and quarantine as they did during the peak of the covid-19 pandemic. So, less worries.
Let's hit the road.

Pictures attached were taken at the CMH airport...the car rental section.

Columbus Ohio, my former stumping ground, Welcome to the home of the Buckeyes.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by SmallDick99(m): 8:04am On Jan 27, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:
I mean don't you guys like how neat, serene and beautiful these place is?

Can't we replicate it in Nigeria?

I am not understanding abi did the Almighty create Nigerians and Canadians differently? Is the brain, flesh, soul, blood different? Is their own made of special element?

Elders please I plead with you to provide an answer to these questions.
If only our leaders and majority of the population had this mentality then maybe, I mean most Nigerians are not still aware that the world has moved past us, so how can we catch up grin

1 Like

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Christian07(m): 8:17am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:
Queen's Park

According to Wikipedia, "Queen's Park is an urban park in Downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Opened in 1860 by Edward, Prince of Wales, it was named in honour of Queen Victoria. The park is the site of the Ontario Legislative Building, which houses the Legislative Assembly of Ontario".

That is not nigerian flag am seeing

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by SaturnNick(m): 8:18am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:
From the parking lot to the Falls itself is a bit of a walking distance. Well, I found my way through the signs.
Look around with me smiley
Wow... This is fabulous.
Wish to visit the falls one day
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by ElijahIme1992(m): 8:27am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

Hahahaha...and you travelled to Niger because you had to, I guess grin
Well, traveling is fun, expensive and stressful irrespective of your mode of transportation. However, it provides you lots of networking opportunities and you get to learn a lot too...if you have an open mind and if you travel safely too.
the thought of sitting down in a car for hours just scares the hell out of me....
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Sweetvie: 8:28am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

[/b]Lol...it's interesting you think I'm a bro [b] grin
Anyways, I digress.

I'm sorry to hear about that. People have different ways of processing relationships, especially when they move to a new place. I don't know how your relationship with your said brother and his family has been or with your family and his immediate family. However, i think you should give them time. Yes, there's an unwritten expectation that a family member that travels abroad should be on a lookout for opportunities to bring the rest of the family over or to share some good with them. However, people are different.

If you want, let's shift standpoints. Imagine you were him, you find yourself in a country where nobody looks like you. And even when you do find people that look like you, you don't even get to talk. If you don't have a stable job (with good salary and benefits), it can be hard. And one with a family, it's not easy. There's a lot of things to say but I can't tell it all.
Also, I don't want to assume you or anyone close to him has billed him or complained to a point where he locked up. Again, I don't know what has transpired in the past.

I had a sister who we regularly talked. We are both in the US. She was ahead, in age and in the society. All of a sudden, she stopped communicating and responding to my messages or even calls. I was surprised! I got worried at some point because I thought she was in trouble or something. Do I know why she stopped communicating with me? Nope. What have I done? I have respected myself and stopped messaging. I put her in my prayers too. Never billed her or even complained about stuff.

Till date, she posts regularly on social media and views my stories sometimes.

All I am saying is, pray for them and work on yourself. When you stop expecting people to act in certain ways, you reduce your chances of getting disappointed by them.

Selah.
You ain't?🙄
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by josephevergreen(m): 8:31am On Jan 27, 2023
Wow so nice
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Revolva(m): 8:32am On Jan 27, 2023
NumeroUno7:
See sweet sweet structures na chai.. OP I took note of a place you said many places in Ontario looks like Downtown (which is likened to the Maitaima and Banana Island in Nigeria) unlike the US.
Please are you saying, take away the US hype, that Canada is better structured with more beautiful places than USA?

You are not serious...how many cities de canada compared to USA....you guys just like to write anyhow...even toronto no even reach L.A alone.....wat do you mean structured....?

d you know how many cities USA have ? and these cities are still standard despite its built in the 19th century
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by orimahspence: 8:35am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:
Left the restaurant around 8:15 or 8:30pm and continued my journey to Toronto.
Streetlights on freeways (highways): I was surprised to see that the freeway (highway) had street lights. When I was in Ohio for a short visit, I found that you only see streetlights on freeways at intersections or where there are exits. This was same when I visited Maryland. Don't get me wrong. Some streets have streetlights but not the freeways especially interstate roads (that connect states). Anyway, I was happy to see the streetlights for a long stretch.

Road network: The interstate route I plied had about 3-5 lanes (going) and same for vehicles going the opposite direction. Quite similar with the US states I have visited so it wasn't a hassle navigating the roads. I noticed that unlike the US, some roads do not have rumble stripes (they are like engravings at the edge of roads that prevent drivers from running off the roads. Once your tires get on it, it feels like you are running on railway tracks). It is a cost-effective road safety measure most roads I have plied in the US have. I found this is not the case in Ontario. I stand to be corrected.

License: As long as you have a US national driver's license (I mean an all-state license), you can drive in Canada for I think up to 3-6 months with it. States in the US issue different licenses that do not necessarily allow you drive in other states except you opt in for a National Driver's license. Since I had my license, I only had to maintain the rules (speed limit, etc).

Op …Pls expound more on this . As far as I know there is nothing like a USA national license, only the states issue Liscence . And all state Liscence allow you to drive in other US states for certain period of time . I’ve driven in every state I visited with my IN Liscence and I didn’t at anytime opted for a national Liscence as you posited .

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Japastic: 8:40am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

Lol grin I didn't take note of that.
Looking forward to your arrival. Safe travels cool
Insha Allahu! Very soon
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by PrincessofDSS(f): 8:44am On Jan 27, 2023
timibare:
Oh God of Elijah, hear my voice!! I must visit this place in Jesus name!

Amen

1 Like

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by rickleye: 8:51am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

Lol! I am not Ajala oo. Still learning work from the big people in the game.
XMRadio be saving lives... grin

I couldn't do it myself either. smiley
You're lucky you have people that are willing to stay on the phone with you

It’s when I call all my ex’s and they gist me or catch up on stuff. Easier than texting 😂.

Anyways thanks for sharing - why not get an SUV it’s roomy and more comfortable. I know more gas
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by lereinter(m): 8:58am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

Be careful what you wish for wink Not everything are as they seem...just a kind reminder smiley

Lolzzzzz, funny you 🤣

When I say I envy you, doesn't mean your personal life.

I was referring to travelling experience btw US and Canada

Anything you do with your life is your headache
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by BeanX(m): 8:58am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

Thank you. I'm a ma'am please. grin
Ok, ma'am. 🙂🙂
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by HiFive: 9:02am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

Amen! Hope that happens sooner than you even expect. Like this trip happened to me. Funny story cheesy

Let's hear the story.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by orimahspence: 9:08am On Jan 27, 2023
Bordey:

Oh thanks. That means the visa approval has nothing to do with the type of residency someone has in US right.

You do not need a visa to enter Canada if you are a U.S. Green card holder.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by orimahspence: 9:16am On Jan 27, 2023
ElSudani:

God bless you sir, this is what I was trying to tell Mr. Miles apart o.
U.S.A is a great country no doubt but like you said, there are areas in which I would take Canada over USA any day.

It will interest you to know that many people will prefer to live in osun /oyo and visit lagos for adventure. Now which one is better . Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by dauntless15(m): 9:19am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

Be easy on yourself. Good things come to those who wait on God and are led by God- and take actionable good steps in the right direction. I think you can find joy wherever you are while anticipating better opportunities. If you don't, you'll be doing yourself disservice sad
I hope you play your part too...in the forthcoming elections.

For some, they're putting in the work and not getting their desired results. It might be comforting to know that things will add up sooner than you expect.

Keep faith.
I sure will play my part, thanks for the advice.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by maziude: 10:37am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

Thanks for taking time to share this information. I like that you can get into Montreal through New England. I don't mind doing a trip there. Well, good soup na money kill am grin grin

Na the money gan gan grin
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Lamanii22(f): 11:47am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

Hehehehe...now you make me want to try a similar Korean dish. Hope I find somewhere around me.
But hey, the food was good! I enjoyed it.
awwwn I was salivating that meal, felt like entering through my phone screen to eat that food 😀😀
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Lamanii22(f): 11:49am On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

I think it takes both the politicians and the electorate to build the country. Yes, they have the money and the laws to back them but if we do not hold them accountable, they get to misappropriate public funds and go Scott free. Also, there has been times where people have been caught destroying public properties and looting offices. Rebuilding or even maintenance costs a lot. And as you know, maintenance has been a problem for several governments since time immemorial.

In nobody's defense, I'll say that we (the people) need to start holding our elected officials responsible for their actions and inactions and also taking good steps to protect the little we have. We could stop littering the roads, urinating in public places, and a long list of things. You may think these little actions do not matter in the grand scheme of things, but they do. Yes, we do not have public toilets and bins in a lot of places but if we get to change age-long habits, our environment will improve.

Great points you got there… when some people can’t take care of their homes, they would have little care for public areas….

Wish I was traveling with you though….
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by guess1109(f): 12:26pm On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:

While I'm appreciative of the opportunity, I must admit that it's not easy peasy. Yes, steady light and being able to make small dollars that mostly goes into recurrent bills (rent, insurance on the apartment I'm renting, utility bills - i.e. internet, gas, water, etc., among others). The good doesn't negate the risks involved too. Sometimes, people work for many years and have little or no savings because of different factors. Last last, it is God that we are looking up to.
People have different views and experiences about living abroad, the internet stories do not always portray what's really going on.

I sincerely appreciate your honesty here, many Nigerians have been given the impression that it's all easy and rosy abroad whereas one truth about life is "what you see depends on where you stand".
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Bearfruit(f): 12:51pm On Jan 27, 2023
matthew24:2 you see all these beautiful buildings there shall not be left one stone upon another that shall not be thrown down.

1 Like

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by auschris: 1:10pm On Jan 27, 2023
@Op
Going through your thread brought back sweet memories of my road trip through Toronto. I drove alone from Fargo, ND to Bangor, ME over three days. The trip was supposed to be about 30 hours non-stop.
I got into Canada 🍁 through the Detroit - Windsor border. Getting through the border was hassle-free (I guess my status as a US citizen worked in my favor). I spent about 4 hours in downtown Toronto and the highlight for me was getting to the top of the CN Tower. TORONTO IS BEAUTIFUUUULLLL.
Someday, I will create a thread and share my experience. I still have amazing pictures that I took on the trip.
Thank you for taking us with you on your journey.
Borgamaame:
Hello Nairaland Fam, hope you are recovering from the 'detty December'.
In the spirit of the new year, follow me on a road trip to Toronto, Ontario in Canada.

Itinerary: Columbus, Ohio - Niagara Falls - Toronto - Brampton - Windsor - Detroit (Michigan) - Columbus, Ohio - Penn State.

I happen to be in Ohio for a few days so I plan to take off from Columbus. The plan is to rent a car for three days (some options include Enterprise, Hertz, Alamo, etc). I think I will settle for Alamo. Got a quote for a mid-size SUV for $345 (does not include insurance) as long as I return at the same location and time as I picked up. If I had opted in for 4 days, I would have been charged a weekly amount. But since it is less than four, I was charged a daily rate which when you add taxes and some other charges adds up to $345.
Gas (fuel): The car's tank will be full on pick up and I'm expected to return it full (except I pay about $54 or so...or a little more or less) and I will not have to worry about returning a full tank. Well, I opted in for returning a full tank.
Insurance: To avoid stories that touch the heart, I will use a rental car insurance company I found online to cover my trip. I will use Bonzah and I got a quote for about $37.

When I decided to embark on this trip, the first thing I did was to map out an itinerary (not necessarily all that will take place in Canada but how to get there by road). I used Google and found several US states that border different parts of Canada. For those in Detroit, Michigan and environs, you can get in through Windsor, Ontario. Those in New York and environs can get in through Buffalo, NY (through the Peace bridge). I think one of the states in New England (comprises Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc) borders Montreal, Quebec. Since Pennsylvania is somewhat closer to New York and I was in Ohio at the time, I decided to enter Canada through Buffalo, New York. The plan was to get to Niagara Falls in Ontario first before moving to Toronto. Google said the drive from John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH) where I pick up my rental car to Niagara Falls in Ontario is approximately 5hrs 24m (352 miles). Kindly note that Ontario is a province while Toronto is a city. Then, from Niagara Falls to my Hotel in Toronto (Days Inn by Wyndham) is approximately 1hr 35 m (141km). U.S uses miles whereas Canada uses kilometers.

Immigration and Border: As long as you are not a U.S passport holder, you require a visa to enter Canada. When I applied, the turn around time was pretty decent. Thankfully, they no longer require covid-19 testing and quarantine as they did during the peak of the covid-19 pandemic. So, less worries.
Let's hit the road.

Pictures attached were taken at the CMH airport...the car rental section.

Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by NumeroUno7(m): 5:06pm On Jan 27, 2023
Borgamaame:
These monies feel like the 5-50 Naira polymer notes...
OP this your hand is fresh ooo. Please come and make me your handbag nau, let me also escape this Nigeria. embarassed
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Akinksquare: 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2023
drololaaof:

Story story , of what use is it to us ,we are not novice ,you are not the only one in USA, nobody is asking you for direction . The road is not even shown in detail . Why not trek there and tell us your experiences?

Pls don't be annoyed.
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by McLizbae: 5:22pm On Jan 27, 2023
[/b]approximately 5hrs 24m (352 miles).[b]

Sadly, 352 miles is about 12 hours drive in Nigeria😭
Re: Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania by Undisputable1(m): 6:55pm On Jan 27, 2023
I really enjoyed this thread, it's so nice and lovely. Someday, I too will embark on such trip cuz am a lover of adventures.
Thanks OP, it's really enlighten and inspiring.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Omole Estate: One Of Lagos's Oldest Residential Estates (pics, Video) / Panic As Massive Deportation Of Nigerians From Germany Begins Tomorrow / The Story Of My Trip To Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.