Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,187 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? (37150 Views)

Ikeja Royal Families Unveil Tajudeen Muritala As New Monarch / Ikeja Royal Families Settle For New Monarch After 9 Years Of An Empty Palace / Olu Of Warri's Crown Stolen, Police Declares Two Princes Wanted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by losky83: 7:43pm On Jan 14, 2023
EricSmallz:
I was watching a video on Facebook about some of the richest Princes in those Arab Contries, Especially the UAE region. I did my little research, I didn't get satisfactory Explanation.
I know even King's all over the World are usually very rich.
IMAGINE IF A DAILY PERCENTAGE OF NIGERIA'S CRUDE OIL SALE AND INTERNALLY GENERATED REVENUE GOES TO EVERY MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY AND EXTENDED FAMILY.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by Lucasmuyiwaa: 8:51pm On Jan 14, 2023
grandstar:

The reason is simple.

Remember how rich Akwa Ibom was a fear years ago, how the the governor Akpabio was constructing projects right, left and centre?

Now, consider if you have 20 times more money with only a third of the population you are fully accounted for? That is

Kuwait has about 2m people, with only about a third of the population are Kuwaits, and yet produces as much oil as Nigerian which has over 200m people. Even out of those 2m people, only about a third are Kuwaiti citizens. The rest are foreign expatriates, who do most of the work because kuwaits are lazy. 93% of Kuwaitis who work are civil servants with very generous salaries.

Also, their kings are absolute monarchies and their kings treat the country's wealth as theirs.

Their monarchs earn legitimacy by spoiling their subjects silly and in return can live as ostentatious as they want. Their citizens pay no tax, so can't demand representations.

I stopped reading your comment when I saw Akwa Ibom in your comment....We are talking about Saudi Arabia not akwa ibom
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by int0x80(m): 8:58pm On Jan 14, 2023
Oil money, few people controlling large scale oil production!
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by Napata77: 9:35pm On Jan 14, 2023
BigDawsNet:
They have Oil
They invest
They have sense

Mumu. What ''sense'' do they have?

They are rich because they have huge oil reserves with very tiny populations to share it among.

UAE has under 10 million people, but has three times Nigeria's oil and gas reserves, and daily output.

So even after taking care of all the citizens, there is more than enough for their leaders to loot.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by DisLifeSha: 9:58pm On Jan 14, 2023
Nigeria is still richer than any of these Arab countries. Look well. Na yeye leaders we get

ITbomb:
Imagine having 10 times the money Nigeria has from crude with 5 million population of same language, same religion people.
It's that simple

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by hemartins(m): 10:43pm On Jan 14, 2023
grandstar:

The reason is simple.

Remember how rich Akwa Ibom was a fear years ago, how the the governor Akpabio was constructing projects right, left and centre?

Now, consider if you have 20 times more money with only a third of the population you are fully accounted for? That is

Kuwait has about 2m people, with only about a third of the population are Kuwaits, and yet produces as much oil as Nigerian which has over 200m people. Even out of those 2m people, only about a third are Kuwaiti citizens. The rest are foreign expatriates, who do most of the work because kuwaits are lazy. 93% of Kuwaitis who work are civil servants with very generous salaries.

Also, their kings are absolute monarchies and their kings treat the country's wealth as theirs.

Their monarchs earn legitimacy by spoiling their subjects silly and in return can live as ostentatious as they want. Their citizens pay no tax, so can't demand representations.

I think it's gonna be a good idea to move to Kuwait.
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by EricSmallz(m): 10:49pm On Jan 14, 2023
SheBad:
I had to comment because you are struggling to understand something...

Those guys are wealthy because they know how to manage wealth. They know how to attract wealth to their country and which in turn makes them wealthy. They involved in every economic activities of their country, not just their politicians. It is not everything that is open to the public.

Nigerian politicians with all their stolen wealth are babies to these guys. That is because Nigerian politicians do not multiply wealth. So whatever that is available, they steal but the arab princes and kings multiply so much that it increases their pool of wealth.

I mean Nigerian politicians have 5 naira and will steal 3 naira, leaving 2 naira that cant be used to capture the next opportunity that could require 50 naira investment.

The Arabs will use that 5 naira and multiply it over time to 60 naira, maybe "steal" 10 naira and leave 50 naira. Then the 50 naira left is used to make 200 naira later... they will be able to "steal" 20naira, leaving 180 naira... then they will invest that 180 until it becomes 1000 naira, this time around, they can "steal" 100, leaving 900 naira...

Do you see how they are increasing their pool of "stealing"?

I had to use "steal" because from what you were saying, it is obvious that you feel, because you are a Nigerian, that they actually steal the wealth that they flaunt. So I came up with a hypothesis that seems to make that possible...

grin Well said. This is insightful
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by EricSmallz(m): 10:50pm On Jan 14, 2023
CheapHomes1:

Are the British, swedish, Dutch, Norwegian or danish royal families not rich?
That's why I said "especially the UAE".
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by snoopz: 10:52pm On Jan 14, 2023
Countries like Saudi Qatar runs an absolute monarchy system of government, which means the king is the supreme leader and his family members are occupying the juicy positions in the country, Na death dey separate them from the position now imagine a family running a country like business, imagine how rich they will be since they view the role as a family affairs,Na why Forbes no dey rate dem because them enrich themselves with state resources

1 Like

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by grandstar(m): 10:55pm On Jan 14, 2023
Lucasmuyiwaa:

I stopped reading your comment when I saw Akwa Ibom in your comment....We are talking about Saudi Arabia not akwa ibom

You should have finished it!

I used Akwa Ibom to enable Nigerians understand the enormous wealth of the Gulf Arab states.

Do you remember when the oil price was high and governor Akpabio was lavishing money on projects right left and centre, then think if he had at least 20 times that wealth and you might then have a small glimpse of why the Gulf states are rich.

Kuwait produces as much oil as Nigeria, yet only has 2m people compared to Nigeria with 220m. Even at that, only about a third of the population are its citizens, the rest being foreign expatriates from the unskilled to the well skilled who do most of the work while 93% of the Kuwaitis who work, work for the state, with very generous salaries.

The monarchs earn their legitimacy from spoiling their citizens who in exchange allow their rulers live ostentatious lives. The citizens get free health care, education, pensions, cozy government jobs and much more. Also, they pay no tax, so can't demand for representation.

Saudi Arabia however is changing. It's population isn't small and is therefore reducing many of the luxuries the people had which was jobs from the state. Despite this, about 40% of those who work have some association with ARAMCO, their NNPC equivalent. That is an humongous amount.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by Wilson500: 1:17am On Jan 15, 2023
visaclick:
crude oil isn't loosing relevance even in 200years to come. Electrical cars are a joke, solar power supply is inconsiderably low compared to word energy demand. The minerals used in batteries and other stuffs are even more expensive and far more dangerous to mine so bro arabs will be on top as long as they are friends with USA

Don't be so sure about that
Nothing lasts forever
I believe an alternative cleaner source of energy will be discovered within a 100 years from now
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by shedy03(m): 5:11am On Jan 15, 2023
Lukuluku69:

The same way Europeans entered Both and south America. Kill off a huge part of the Locals and claimed their Land.

Is that Christianization too?
That's civilisation
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:13am On Jan 15, 2023
Answer is really simple and could be summarised in three sentences:

1. Huuuuuuge oil wealth.
2. Very small population
3. Enough to go around (because of number 2)
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by RedboneSmith(m): 7:19am On Jan 15, 2023
AbdulMagaji:

Do you mean that the Arabs in middle east are Blacks?

Incase you don't understand what I wrote, let me repeat it again.

When you go to borders in European countries you will find White Muslim Arabs stucked in the cold there and hoping to gain access into Europe.

Now I said why don't they move to their Rich oil Arab nations like UAE, Kuwait, Saudi etc for asylum?
I don't think those rich Arab nation have a better policy towards refugees than Western Europe. Liberalism and a more democratised climate will always make Europe the better goal.
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by Napata77: 7:51am On Jan 15, 2023
shedy03:

That's civilisation

So you slaughter people and seize their land, enslave and impoverish them in order to ''civilize'' them?

The white man sure twisted your senses.
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by CheapHomes1: 8:19am On Jan 15, 2023
EricSmallz:

That's why I said "especially the UAE".

thats not what you said. you said "Especially the UAE region".

1 Like

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 15, 2023
SporaD8:

Oil dey your head well well.
Unlike Nigeria that juxtaposed different system of government yet can't boast of mastering one, theirs is strictly Monarchical. Couple with their religious belief - it is Haram to query their leaders hence these rulers enjoys liberty to amass wealth without scruitiny!

No it is not haram my brother.
According to Islamic jurisprudence a leader is accountable to his subjects
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jan 15, 2023
SporaD8:

Oil dey your head well well.
Unlike Nigeria that juxtaposed different system of government yet can't boast of mastering one, theirs is strictly Monarchical. Couple with their religious belief - it is Haram to query their leaders hence these rulers enjoys liberty to amass wealth without scruitiny!

According to Islamic jurisprudence a leader is accountable to his subjects and of course to Almighty Allah in the hereafter.
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by Ajibade123(m): 5:13pm On Jan 15, 2023
shegzhkn:
Na my specialty be this.

Rich is subjective, the Caucasian are still the richest.

Now let take this conversation back pre oil era, most of these Gulf countries are impoverished backwater nation for example Saudi relies on pilgrimage and dates farming to support it economy. When oil was discovered they became wealthy and started gaining influence, the wealth also allows thems to export the exteme version of Islam (Wahabism & Salafism) - the ideology that makes terrorism thrives.

Most of the wealth in these countries are concentrated in the hands of few people (The royal family and their cronies) while they give crumbs to their lazy citizens (2/3 of working Saudis works for the government, abysmal right ??)

They have to show off because the wealth got into their head, imagine this - you've been an ugly chic all your life but you woke up one day and found out that you now have a cute face, big tits and nice curve (drop-dead gorgeous), c'mon you gonna wanna behave like a slut sometimes.

But here is the thing, those folks are still coming back to where they left off their date farming, they use most of their resources for shitty stuff - look at the Ronaldo deal, why did you think he agreed to go to Saudi to play for one unknown local league, about a year ago they wanted wood to play Golf for 750M USD, US Military industrial complex they collect their own, US PR firms too (Human right probs.), US former intelligence and National Security officials too (imagine an NSA analyst earning less than 100K USD per annum getting 1M USD working for the Arabs), they lack the manpower to support their economy when not 'if' oil become less important.

I don't think they would ever go back to being poor
because unlike us here they know that oil will eventually dry up and they have been working tirelessly to reduce their dependencies on oil which they plan to do before 2023
they have invested heavily in other sector outside oil
like that Ronaldo deal do you think they paid finished Ronaldo to come and be entertaining them? it one of their strategies in working on their sporting sector...just few days after Ronaldo can you see the kind of publicity it has given the league and country?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by emmyN(m): 5:15pm On Jan 15, 2023
Long standing monarchy. They built wealth over the years and position their children to take the place after them

1 Like

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by shegzhkn: 5:30pm On Jan 15, 2023
Ajibade123:

I don't think they would ever go back to being poor
because unlike us here they know that oil will eventually dry up and they have been working tirelessly to reduce their dependencies on oil which they plan to do before 2023
they have invested heavily in other sector outside oil
like that Ronaldo deal do you think they paid finished Ronaldo to come and be entertaining them? it one of their strategies in working on their sporting sector...just few days after Ronaldo can you see the kind of publicity it has given the league and country?

Diversification, how are they doing that ??

The most valuable resources of any country is Human resources : folks who can think and make things happen.
Most of their citizen work as civil servants and their education system is mediocre at best (priority is on religion).
You think they gave Ronaldo that ridiculous deal just to entertain them, Lol. I can give you a lot of instances where the resources are been thrown away.
Like I said oil may not necessarily dry up but technology is gonna advance and oil will loose it revelance and when that happens they are screwed.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by Ajibade123(m): 5:34pm On Jan 15, 2023
visaclick:
all these analysis are just on paper bro, realistically Teslas are terrible with battery needing replacement in less than 3-4years so that means buying a second hand Tesla isn't an option. Google raw materials needed for batteries, it's aven more dangerous thank fosil fuel polution they are trying to cub. Not to mention the other needs for oil. Gas, butimen which is the most important element in road construction is from crude oil which can't be replaced at anytime due to its cost compared to cement roads. Electricity is becoming even more expensive to generate lately the reason for high bills even at the West. The same electric cars per charge is $10-$12 per charge for just a couple of mileage. Batteries especially litium dies after about 1000circles of charge how long does that translates to per year lest assume you don't go for any long travels. Electrical cars are the future but for now they are not completely reliable
bro there are limitations for sure
but it takes about one research for the whole thing to change completely and the price will reduce drastically
it might be by one professors in one of those universities or even the electric car companies themselves
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by RussellRutherfo: 6:04pm On Jan 15, 2023
Eco2580:

According to Islamic jurisprudence a leader is accountable to his subjects and of course to Almighty Allah in the hereafter.

allah is not mighty. That thing is a deformed two right handed god made from the sweat of horses according to Islam.

Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by Ajibade123(m): 6:48pm On Jan 15, 2023
shegzhkn:

Diversification, how are they doing that ??

The most valuable resources of any country is Human resources : folks who can think and make things happen.
Most of their citizen work as civil servants and their education system is mediocre at best (priority is on religion).
You think they gave Ronaldo that ridiculous deal just to entertain them, Lol. I can give you a lot of instances where the resources are been thrown away.
Like I said oil may not necessarily dry up but technology is gonna advance and oil will loose it revelance and when that happens they are screwed.
Their tourism section is really booming over there and it forms a significant part of their economy right now
and I saw somewhere how they are really investing on solar and electric energy
Re: Why Are Arab Princes And Royal Families So Rich? by Cromagnon: 12:23am On Jan 16, 2023
padi94:

If you understand their history, you will know that they where ancient kings who owned all the lands and everything in it. The British didn't break them up to steal from them like they did in Africa.
they didn't or they couldn't. It's not easy to create confusion in homogenous labs like desert with clear boundaries. Although they're trying to use shiite and sunni tactics

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'ooni's Wives Can't Re-marry' / Deposition: Your Pronouncements Not Binding On Me, Ayiri Tells Olu Of Warri / "Benin People Owned Lagos, Aworis Paid Royalties To Them" — Erelu Abiola Dosunmu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.