Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,589 members, 7,812,914 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related - Travel (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related (51840 Views)

Getting Into The UK Property Market. How To? Teach Us How To? Get In Here / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by jedisco(m): 8:08am On Apr 14
teeebest:
Mortgage Advice.

Hello Elders, we are on tier 4 presently. Our visas will expire next month. My wife and I both work with the NHS and we are expecting our COS any time soon. We clocked two years in the UK in February and we started viewing properties in our area.

We maxed out our savings with moneybox. We recently saw a property we love and started the process with a moneybox mortgage adviser. He sent us this qoute:
• The lender is Skipton Building Society
* The mortgage loan amount is £126,000
* The rate is fixed for 2 years @ 6.19%
* There is no lender arrangement fee to pay
* The mortgage term is 25 years
* The mortgage is on a repayment basis
* Your monthly mortgage repayments are £825.66

Is this reasonable or we should wait and switch our visa to Tier 2(probably this month end/early May) and retry if we can get a better offer/rate please?

This is rather steep

First is your mortgage advisor able to search the whole market or just a select lenders? They should tell you this.

Secondly, the two main issues which affect your mortgage rate outside the Bank of England base rate (which you dont control), are your LTV (what percentage cash you have) and your term (fixed, variable e.t.c)
BOE rates are likely to fall over the coming years. At the max of rates hikes, 6% was considered steep. If locking in now, I'd target much lower

Many folks on visas use Barclays. Even their 90% ltv is well below 6%
https://www.barclays.co.uk/mortgages/fixed-rate-mortgage/

On a wider note, as a first time buyer, you have the advantage of not paying stamp duty in most cases plus help to buy bonus. The advice is usually to buy asap but this may not fit everyone. If your rent is reasonably priced, and you're both in stable jobs, sometimes waiting a bit to build your deposit so you can go for a good house in a nice area with good prospects for capital appreciation. In every town, there are parts to avoid and no need buying only to start planning a move in 1-2yrs. Reason I say this is because a mortgage of 126,000 (except you have a good deposit) is unlikely to give you a good place in most parts of the country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Peerielass: 10:06pm On Apr 14
profemebee:
Signed sealed and delivered....

New build .. 12% deposit.. Barclays..

Thanks to everyoneeeeeeeeeeeee.. especially Lexus, Ticha, justwise, LagosismyHome, Deept, Estroller, Stevepop, Mohtunrahyor, Santa2, Zahra29, Solumtoya, Jedisco, Peerielass, bigtt76, newbie715, etc

I hope i didn't forget anyone...

Rent money isn't dead money tho.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Have a blessed day

Congratulations. Greater things are coming your way 👍

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by sholadele4: 2:58pm On Apr 16
Seniors on this thread, I started living in the UK almost 2 years ago and I'm finally working towards getting a mortgage. I would like to know if my credit history from Nigeria plays a role in this process.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 3:04pm On Apr 16
sholadele4:
Seniors on this thread, I started living in the UK almost 2 years ago and I'm finally working towards getting a mortgage. I would like to know if my credit history from Nigeria plays a role in this process.

Capital NO.......

Get your credit report from Experian/clearscore/totallymoney..........

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by sholadele4: 3:35pm On Apr 16
Lexusgs430:

Capital NO.......

Get your credit report from Experian/clearscore/totallymoney..........
Thanks for the swift response.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by teeebest(m): 7:44pm On Apr 16
jedisco:

This is rather steep

First is your mortgage advisor able to search the whole market or just a select lenders? They should tell you this.

Secondly, the two main issues which affect your mortgage rate outside the Bank of England base rate (which you dont control), are your LTV (what percentage cash you have) and your term (fixed, variable e.t.c)
BOE rates are likely to fall over the coming years. At the max of rates hikes, 6% was considered steep. If locking in now, I'd target much lower

Many folks on visas use Barclays. Even their 90% ltv is well below 6%
https://www.barclays.co.uk/mortgages/fixed-rate-mortgage/

On a wider note, as a first time buyer, you have the advantage of not paying stamp duty in most cases plus help to buy bonus. The advice is usually to buy asap but this may not fit everyone. If your rent is reasonably priced, and you're both in stable jobs, sometimes waiting a bit to build your deposit so you can go for a good house in a nice area with good prospects for capital appreciation. In every town, there are parts to avoid and no need buying only to start planning a move in 1-2yrs. Reason I say this is because a mortgage of 126,000 (except you have a good deposit) is unlikely to give you a good place in most parts of the country.

Thank you Boss. We are in the North east hence the 126k.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by LaXxOnebody(m): 9:00pm On Apr 16
Go on the Barclays website and search mortgages then request for a call-back from a Financial Guide, you'd be able to have 1 option in that.

What part of the North East are you in?
teeebest:

Thank you Boss. We are in the North east hence the 126k.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by jedisco(m): 10:24am On Apr 17
sholadele4:

Hehe... what happened in 9ja... U dey owe banks money?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by sholadele4: 5:02pm On Apr 17
jedisco:

Hehe... what happened in 9ja... U dey owe banks money?
I'm not owing anybody oo. However, I had a facility that went past scheduled settlement date, some 2 years back. This had been fully paid up though.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by teeebest(m): 12:26pm On Apr 18
LaXxOnebody:
Go on the Barclays website and search mortgages then request for a call-back from a Financial Guide, you'd be able to have 1 option in that.

What part of the North East are you in?

Okay Boss.

Near Sunderland. Peterlee precisely.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by LaXxOnebody(m): 1:03pm On Apr 18
Ah nice!

You should buy a mansion! The houses out there are bigger and have more space.

Im further north in Newcastle.

teeebest:

Okay Boss.

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Dharmie02: 1:17pm On Apr 18
teeebest:

Okay Boss.

That's good. Houses in South Shields are expensive then.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by teeebest(m): 3:24pm On Apr 18
LaXxOnebody:
Ah nice!

You should buy a mansion! The houses out there are bigger and have more space.

Im further north in Newcastle.

Yes oo. It is a 4 bedroom house we are getting for 140k.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by teeebest(m): 3:25pm On Apr 18
Dharmie02:

Yes. South Shields is more of an urban area compared to our side.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by LaXxOnebody(m): 3:45pm On Apr 18
That would be relative.

In South Shields you can see shops and amenities at every 5 minutes walk. It's more populated, there are more job opportunities too.

You'd have to choose between 'cheap' and more urban. You can have a look at Cramlington for larger and cheaper properties too.

The 'expensive' houses are in Gosforth, Heaton & Jesmond.

Dharmie02:

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Santa2: 8:40am On Apr 20
teeebest:

shocked What? No be to relocate go North East like this?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by opeoyek: 2:25pm On Apr 20
Hi everyone

Do I have to do a survey for an old build?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by jedisco(m): 6:19pm On Apr 20
teeebest:

I'm surprised.. even for the north wasn't expecting it this 'cheap'.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by jedisco(m): 6:21pm On Apr 20
opeoyek:
Hi everyone

Thats where it's more important. Don't think its compulsory though.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by opeoyek: 6:28pm On Apr 20
Okay
jedisco:

Thats where it's more important. Don't think its compulsory though.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 8:18pm On Apr 20
opeoyek:
Hi everyone

You don't have to, but it is in your interest to do one.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by opeoyek: 8:43pm On Apr 20
Noted, thanks for responding
Estroller:

You don't have to, but it is in your interest to do one.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 10:40pm On Apr 20
opeoyek:
Hi everyone

Without a basic survey, your mortgage provider would NEVER release funds......

You can conduct an upgraded survey, for a little more extra report & possiblity of reducing asking price ........

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Jamesclooney: 9:12am On Apr 21
teeebest:

This is awesome! Sounds ridiculously cheap. More info please. Is it for a new build, old house or derelict house needing renovation? I’ve got a friend that turns around cheap BTL properties in Liverpool, but not heard of opportunities like these in Nort East. Please shed more light. Thanks
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by opeoyek: 9:35am On Apr 21
I guess i need to carry out a survey, thanks for responding
Lexusgs430:

Without a basic survey, your mortgage provider would NEVER release funds......

You can conduct an upgraded survey, for a little more extra report & possiblity of reducing asking price ........
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by teeebest(m): 5:10pm On Apr 23
Jamesclooney:

This is awesome! Sounds ridiculously cheap. More info please. Is it for a new build, old house or derelict house needing renovation? I’ve got a friend that turns around cheap BTL properties in Liverpool, but not heard of opportunities like these in Nort East. Please shed more light. Thanks

It’s an old house with a new kitchen, garage, etc. Solar Panels installed already so we can economise our electricity bills. Search for houses in Peterlee. It’s a village/town compared to big cities like Sunderland though.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by mex551(m): 2:36pm On Apr 25
I have the same concern too. Even in this my 1940 build, you still hear tatatatata in the oza room. My Oyibo neighbours won’t let me sleep. Why is youkay like this?👀

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by toms55(m): 4:30pm On Apr 25
Santa2:

When I got the £1000 bonus from last year. It felt so so good. Make I start to dey gather this year own grin.

Chief , how does this LISA works? Say i intend to save up to 4k P.A do i have to save the 4k at once or i make a monthly contribution towards the £4k and which LISA account do you recommend
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 4:33pm On Apr 25
mex551:
I have the same concern too. Even in this my 1940 build, you still hear tatatatata in the oza room. My Oyibo neighbours won’t let me sleep. Why is youkay like this?👀

It's indeed a major concern. We had to ask our neighbours and they confirmed they don't hear any noise from ours and we also don't hear from them either. Between 2 different houses, there's sufficient sound proofing, it's required by the Building Regulations for new houses.

Where the wahala is is across rooms in the same house. That's an absolute mess. The pro for parents is that they can easily hear their kids from another room but it's a major worry that bed activities from the Masters bedroom can probably be heard.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Goodenoch: 4:40pm On Apr 25
toms55:

Chief , how does this LISA works? Say i intend to save up to 4k P.A do i have to save the 4k at once or i make a monthly contribution towards the £4k and which LISA account do you recommend

You can save it monthly or put it in at once. Doesn’t matter.

Check for the cash LISAs with the highest interest rates. Moneybox is good and has high rates last I checked. I think people have also recommended Trading212 here.

For stocks and shares, it doesn’t really matter as much because it’s the funds you buy that matter more and you can buy into most indexes on almost all the platforms. Since you’re asking this question I think it’d be better for you to just use a cash ISA. Stocks and shares LISA requires some more oversight and experience to deal with, plus if you’re planning to buy in the next couple of years, you’d best avoid the volatility.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Santa2: 9:48am On Apr 26
toms55:

Like someone highlighted before me, you can pay the 4k as a lump sum or do it in installments; weekly/monthly which ever suits you. There are a range of accounts out there and I would say do your due diligence. I use moneybox and its been phenomenal for the last three years. Recently drew down our deposit/bonus and took just 3 days to get to the solicitors. It was easy to setup, assigned a free mortgage advisor when we needed advise and respond to enquiries promptly.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Jamesclooney: 2:10pm On Apr 28

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply)

I Will Sincerely Advice That You Be Careful Before Lodging In Hotels !!! / Aerial View Of Warri City Delta State (pictures) / Attempt To Smuggle 24 Women Into Abia From Akwa Ibom Foiled By Vigilante

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.