Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,971 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related - Travel (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related (51853 Views)

Getting Into The UK Property Market. How To? Teach Us How To? Get In Here / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Santa2: 12:41am On Apr 04
acosfd:
Good morning my good people. Abeg what is the best way to save for mortgage deposit. Already opened Cash ISA with money box. Is it a good idea to just save in a current account (as I learnt inflation will eat it away) or there are better options. Plan is to save for one year.

If all goes according to plan, by the time we complete on the property between my spouse and I, we would have gotten 7k free bonus in total from both our LISA's. We just waiting for 6th April to put in our contribution for 2024 and get the bonus by next month. Luckily I found out about LISA on NL just before I turned 40. To who ever is listening time to open your LISA is yesterday if you within the age bracket.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by opeoyek: 5:49am On Apr 04
Thanks
Lexusgs430:

Everyone's circumstances are different...... You go with the lender that offers you the best rate/deal on the day........

You can either use a broker or conventional high street banks (brokers have more products than high street banks).........
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by ToyosiR(f): 9:32am On Apr 04
Hello All,

I just discussed with a Mortgage advisor and I am about to accept the mortgage in principle of 95% LTV. I have 5% deposit.

When will I need a solicitor? What other thing should I watch out for?

Kindly help a newbie.

@Lexusgs430: please I will also like to send you a mail or your contact if you wouldn't mind.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 9:56am On Apr 04
ToyosiR:
Hello All,

I just discussed with a Mortgage advisor and I am about to accept the mortgage in principle of 95% LTV. I have 5% deposit.

Kindly help a newbie.

@Lexusgs430: please I will also like to send you a mail or your contact if you wouldn't mind.

Have you found a property....... Details in my profile.....😀

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 10:03am On Apr 04
ToyosiR:
Hello All,

Kindly help a newbie.

Have you found a house you want to buy yet?
Have you put in an offer on the house?
Has your offer been accepted by the vendor or developer?
All the above should happen first before you need a conveyancer/solicitor.
You can also get a survey of the house done before instructing a solicitor.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by ToyosiR(f): 10:40am On Apr 04
Estroller:

Have you found a house you want to buy yet?
Have you put in an offer on the house?
Has your offer been accepted by the vendor or developer?
All the above should happen first before you need a conveyancer/solicitor.
You can also get a survey of the house done before instructing a solicitor.

Thanks so much. I have found a house but I am yet to put in an offer. I will do it right away.

Thanks
Lexusgs430:

Have you found a property....... Details in my profile.....😀
Thanks messaging you rightaway.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 10:42am On Apr 04
ToyosiR:

Thanks so much. I have found a house but I am yet to put in an offer. I will do it right away.

Thanks

Thanks messaging you rightaway.

No access to my email.... Send a WhatsApp message....
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by elengine: 9:08pm On Apr 04
@house, is two years stay in the UK compulsory before one can access mortgage? Rent money is dead money😀 and I'm mot happy seeing my money going to one small boy every month. Now my rent will expire this weekend and the guy has sent me a mail that he want to increase rent by 100 quid
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 6:28am On Apr 05
elengine:
@house, is two years stay in the UK compulsory before one can access mortgage? Rent money is dead money😀 and I'm mot happy seeing my money going to one small boy every month. Now my rent will expire this weekend and the guy has sent me a mail that he want to increase rent by 100 quid

No it is not, but bear in mind that some lenders will require you meet certain residency conditions before you can access competitive deals.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Jamesclooney: 9:05am On Apr 05
elengine:

Most lenders will ask for 25% deposit to offset the risk.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by elengine: 11:12pm On Apr 05
Estroller:

No it is not, but bear in mind that some lenders will require you meet certain residency conditions before you can access competitive deals.

Thank you for this
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by elengine: 11:14pm On Apr 05
Jamesclooney:

Most lenders will ask for 25% deposit to offset the risk.

Hmm 25%. Make I kukuma wait oh. Two years don reach soon

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Tolzeal(m): 9:43am On Apr 06
elengine:

grin!
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Iolo(m): 10:48am On Apr 06
elengine:

You are better off if you have a deposit starting the process and learning along the way. I got told I couldn’t get one before staying for two years and I did it in a year. I got rejected from a couple lenders but eventually one came through. A sound broker is the most important element as they will help you navigate things.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by elengine: 12:15pm On Apr 06
Iolo:

You are better off if you have a deposit starting the process and learning along the way. I got told I couldn’t get one before staying for two years and I did it in a year. I got rejected from a couple lenders but eventually one came through. A sound broker is the most important element as they will help you navigate things.

Wow. This is the encouragement that I need. I actually believe the two-year stuff can be varied especially for some of us here in the northern England. If I have my 20k for a 200k property after 1 year of stable income should be enough

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Jamesclooney: 1:18pm On Apr 06
Iolo:

Who was your broker/lender please?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Iolo(m): 1:24pm On Apr 06
Jamesclooney:

Who was your broker/lender please?

Broker Threshold Mortgages. Lender Santander.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 7:58am On Apr 09
Iolo:

Broker Threshold Mortgages. Lender Santander.

Was this also 10% or 25%+ deposit?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 8:05am On Apr 09
ToyosiR:
Hello All,

Kindly help a newbie.

Ironically, Mortgage in Principle isn't particularly a guarantee unfortunately. I would be impressed if you're given a 95% LTV as a Visa Holder.

Please let us know how this plays out, would be a good learning point.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 8:49am On Apr 09
i would be very very surprised ... hopefully a lender approves

Solumtoya:

Ironically, Mortgage in Principle isn't particularly a guarantee unfortunately. I would be impressed if you're given a 95% LTV as a Visa Holder.

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 9:16am On Apr 09
Solumtoya:

Are you translating newbie, to mean visa holder......

Newbie, could also be a newbie to the mortgage game.........😁😀
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Zimzee: 12:24pm On Apr 09
Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of finalizing a mortgage protection policy and would appreciate some insights and advice from the community.

My mortgage broker has recommended a policy from Aviva, which covers the specific amount needed to protect my mortgage. The monthly premium for this policy is £20.78 for £135,000 over 22years. While this seems reasonable, I have come across other policies offering similar coverage at lower monthly premiums (e.g., Royal London offering £166,500 coverage over 32 years for £16.09 per month) for someone I know.

I understand that insurance premiums can vary based on individual factors such as age, health, and specific coverage needs. However, I am unsure whether I should proceed with the Aviva policy or insist on exploring other options to potentially lower the monthly cost.

My main concern is striking a balance between affordability and comprehensive coverage. Given that my broker assures me that the Aviva policy is the most cost-effective for my needs, I am seeking advice on whether I should accept this recommendation or continue to pursue alternatives with lower premiums.

Has anyone else faced a similar decision? Is it generally advisable to go with the policy recommended by the broker, even if other seemingly cheaper options are available?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Please gurus in the house
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 12:52pm On Apr 09
Zimzee:

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of finalizing a mortgage protection policy and would appreciate some insights and advice from the community.

My mortgage broker has recommended a policy from Aviva, which covers the specific amount needed to protect my mortgage. The monthly premium for this policy is £20.78 for £135,000 over 22years. While this seems reasonable, I have come across other policies offering similar coverage at lower monthly premiums (e.g., Royal London offering £166,500 coverage over 32 years for £16.09 per month) for someone I know.

I understand that insurance premiums can vary based on individual factors such as age, health, and specific coverage needs. However, I am unsure whether I should proceed with the Aviva policy or insist on exploring other options to potentially lower the monthly cost.

My main concern is striking a balance between affordability and comprehensive coverage. Given that my broker assures me that the Aviva policy is the most cost-effective for my needs, I am seeking advice on whether I should accept this recommendation or continue to pursue alternatives with lower premiums.

Has anyone else faced a similar decision? Is it generally advisable to go with the policy recommended by the broker, even if other seemingly cheaper options are available?

You don't need this policy...... You would get more value from an income protection insurance or life insurance policy..........

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Zimzee: 1:02pm On Apr 09
Lexusgs430:

You don't need this policy...... You would get more value from an income protection insurance or life insurance policy..........

@Lexusgs430, please kindly explain in details 🙏, for more understanding. What's the difference? Please throw more light. The one Aviva is offering is actually a life insurance policy.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Bourne007(m): 1:22pm On Apr 09
It's not mandatory you use Aviva as broker is working on getting his/her commission. You can always compare the market and go for a better deal.

Zimzee:

@Lexusgs430, please kindly explain in details 🙏, for more understanding. What's the difference? Please throw more light. The one Aviva is offering is actually a life insurance policy.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 2:20pm On Apr 09
Lexusgs430:

My thoughts exactly, but we're not financial or insurance advisers so we can't be sure.

Personally, I think many of these insurance products overlap and are not necessary.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 5:38pm On Apr 09
Zimzee:

Even if the product aviva is offering is a life insurance policy, it's only tied to the mortgage final figure........

One can easily get a cheaper/better insurance package, that would payout over £250,000........
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Iolo(m): 11:32pm On Apr 09
Solumtoya:

Was this also 10% or 25%+ deposit?

10%

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Stevepop: 7:19pm On Apr 10
Zimzee:

Hello everyone,

In my case, the brokers tried upselling the various insurance policy to me. The main ones were Life insurance and Home insurance. I did my shopping around and went for one which was suitable. For the life insurance, I made sure the cover amount and period were greater than the mortgage amount and mortgage period respectively. One of the brokers was on my case and even matched my quote when I showed him a cheaper one. They are mainly after their commissions. Just make sure that any cover taken sufficiently takes care of the mortgage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by teeebest(m): 7:21pm On Apr 10
Mortgage Advice.

Hello Elders, we are on tier 4 presently. Our visas will expire next month. My wife and I both work with the NHS and we are expecting our COS any time soon. We clocked two years in the UK in February and we started viewing properties in our area.

We maxed out our savings with moneybox. We recently saw a property we love and started the process with a moneybox mortgage adviser. He sent us this qoute:
• The lender is Skipton Building Society
* The mortgage loan amount is £126,000
* The rate is fixed for 2 years @ 6.19%
* There is no lender arrangement fee to pay
* The mortgage term is 25 years
* The mortgage is on a repayment basis
* Your monthly mortgage repayments are £825.66

Is this reasonable or we should wait and switch our visa to Tier 2(probably this month end/early May) and retry if we can get a better offer/rate please?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by LaXxOnebody(m): 8:59pm On Apr 10
That rate looks pretty high.

I'd advise that you ask the broker for a better rate or check onlther mortgage brokers.

Best of luck.
teeebest:
Mortgage Advice.

Hello Elders, we are on tier 4 presently. Our visas will expire next month. My wife and I both work with the NHS and we are expecting our COS any time soon. We clocked two years in the UK in February and we started viewing properties in our area.

We maxed out our savings with moneybox. We recently saw a property we love and started the process with a moneybox mortgage adviser. He sent us this qoute:
• The lender is Skipton Building Society
* The mortgage loan amount is £126,000
* The rate is fixed for 2 years @ 6.19%
* There is no lender arrangement fee to pay
* The mortgage term is 25 years
* The mortgage is on a repayment basis
* Your monthly mortgage repayments are £825.66

Is this reasonable or we should wait and switch our visa to Tier 2(probably this month end/early May) and retry if we can get a better offer/rate please?

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Ukmortgagebroke: 6:54am On Apr 12
Living in the UK can be an exciting experience, but it's important to understand the ins and outs of the property market and mortgages. In this answer, I'll provide you with some detailed information on these topics.

Let's start with property. The UK offers a wide range of housing options, from apartments in bustling cities to quaint cottages in the countryside. The first step in finding a property is determining your budget. Take into account your income, savings, and any potential mortgage options.

Once you have a budget in mind, it's time to consider location. The UK has many desirable areas to live in, each with its own unique charm and amenities. Research different regions and cities to find one that suits your needs and preferences.

Now, let's move on to mortgages. A mortgage is a loan that you take out to buy a property. In the UK, there are several types of mortgages available, including fixed-rate, variable-rate, and tracker mortgages. Each type has its own advantages and considerations, so it's essential to do your research and seek advice from mortgage brokers or financial advisors.

To qualify for a mortgage, lenders will assess your financial situation, including your credit history, income stability, and ability to make repayments. It's important to have all necessary documents ready, such as bank statements, payslips, and proof of identity.

When applying for a mortgage, you'll also need to consider the deposit amount. In the UK, most lenders require a minimum deposit of 5-20% of the property's value. Saving for a deposit can take time, so it's wise to start planning early.

Additionally, it's crucial to be aware of other costs associated with buying a property in the UK. These include solicitor fees, stamp duty land tax (SDLT), valuation fees, and potential renovation or furnishing costs. Factor these expenses into your budget to avoid any surprises.

Once you've found a property and secured a mortgage, it's time to complete the purchase process. This involves exchanging contracts with the seller and paying any outstanding costs. It's recommended to have a solicitor or conveyancer guide you through this process to ensure everything is done correctly.

After purchasing your property, you'll become responsible for various ongoing expenses such as council tax, utilities, insurance, and maintenance costs. It's essential to budget for these expenses to ensure you can comfortably afford them alongside your mortgage repayments.

In conclusion, living in the UK can be a wonderful experience if you understand the property market and mortgage process. Take the time to research different areas and mortgage options, seek professional mortgage for contractors advice when needed, and carefully consider all associated costs. With proper planning and preparation, you'll be well on your way to finding your dream home in the UK.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply)

10 Most Expensive Cities In Africa 2015 [photos] / 72-seater Plane Crashes In Pokhara, Nepal. 40 Bodies Recovered / 37 Ogun Corpers Involved In Accident After Leaving NYSC Orientation Camp (Photos

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.