Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,722 members, 7,816,972 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? (3521 Views)

How Often Does One Need To Change Gear Oil / See What Happened To Me After I Changed My Car Tyre For The First Time (graphic) / Lexus Rx350 Bumper Needs To Be Changed. Need Advice From Gurus * Photos Attached (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by IranianSea: 2:54pm On Jan 22, 2023
Good afternoon guys. My Corolla 2010, bought 3 years ago ( Toks from Apapa ) the car is serving me good and everything still running smoothly, good gear selection, low fuel consumption and all. In short, I'm enjoying it. Since I have been using it I never had any issues with it I only change engine oil and filter that is all. Last week I went to change my engine oil again then I asked my mechanic to check the gear oil because I have never see what's in there ever since I bought it. He checked and advice me to top up it because it's still neat or I should change it. But from the from the gauge's cap, its written there, it shouldn't be changed so here I'm very confused on what to do.
Please I need contribution on this from those you bought their car Tokunbo, how long before you ever tampered with the gear oil? I'd prefer contributions from those who is using Toyota corolla 2010 or any.

It's not an emergency because everything still running smoothly, I'm not worry but just that I wanna know when gear oil should be changed. My car is 3years and 6 months today.

Thanks guys

1 Like

Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by sunnymighty(m): 5:41pm On Jan 22, 2023
IranianSea:
Good afternoon guys. My Corolla 2010, bought 3 years ago ( Toks from Apapa ) the car is serving me good and everything still running smoothly, good gear selection, low fuel consumption and all. In short, I'm enjoying it. Since I have been using it I never had any issues with it I only change engine oil and filter that is all. Last week I went to change my engine oil again then I asked my mechanic to check the gear oil because I have never see what's in there ever since I bought it. He checked and advice me to top up it because it's still neat or I should change it. But from the from the gauge's cap, its written there, it shouldn't be changed so here I'm very confused on what to do.
Please I need contribution on this from those you bought their car Tokunbo, how long before you ever tampered with the gear oil? I'd prefer contributions from those who is using Toyota corolla 2010 or any.

It's not an emergency because everything still running smoothly, I'm not worry but just that I wanna know when gear oil should be changed. My car is 3years and 6 months today.

Thanks guys

Trouble sleep yanga wan go wake am, you better leave it as it is.

13 Likes

Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by IranianSea: 8:35pm On Jan 22, 2023
sunnymighty:

I can decode that. Thanks bro
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by Emmy000seun(m): 8:32am On Jan 23, 2023
There is oil specification to every gear, most Corolla use Tiv..so don't ever top it, if it's short, better buy the recommended one.. it cost but make sure you buy the one..make sure your your technician is good at it because it has mode and method of application..πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ’―..best of luck...quote author=IranianSea post=120286474]Good afternoon guys. My Corolla 2010, bought 3 years ago ( Toks from Apapa ) the car is serving me good and everything still running smoothly, good gear selection, low fuel consumption and all. In short, I'm enjoying it. Since I have been using it I never had any issues with it I only change engine oil and filter that is all. Last week I went to change my engine oil again then I asked my mechanic to check the gear oil because I have never see what's in there ever since I bought it. He checked and advice me to top up it because it's still neat or I should change it. But from the from the gauge's cap, its written there, it shouldn't be changed so here I'm very confused on what to do.

Thanks guys[/quote]
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by soloehis(m): 8:38am On Jan 23, 2023
Don't drain ...engage a professional to be sure it needs topping
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by IranianSea: 10:17am On Jan 23, 2023
Emmy000seun:
There is oil specification to every gear, most Corolla use Tiv..so don't ever top it, if it's short, better buy the recommended one.. it cost but make sure you buy the one..make sure your your technician is good at it because it has mode and method of application..πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ’―..best of luck
Thanks so much. I'm sure he is because I have never do something like this before. I will do some findings. Thanks once again
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by bdon123(m): 10:44am On Jan 23, 2023
Changed every 2/3 years ....every 30k miles.
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by senator2k9(m): 4:09am On Jan 24, 2023
It is clearly stated that there's no need to replace your ATF under normal driving conditions. Pls don't look for trouble where there's none.

U should even change that your mechanic, instead of Changing that oil.

7 Likes

Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by Fujiyama: 10:25pm On Jan 24, 2023
senator2k9:
It is clearly stated that there's no need to replace your ATF under normal driving conditions. Pls don't look for trouble where there's none.

^^^
The question is: are his driving conditions normal? grin

He may be driving on a time bomb without knowing it.

The owners manual is the first guide but local driving conditions will decide what he should do.

If he is constantly driving in heavy traffic e.g. Lagos style traffic then a drain and refill may actually be overdue. Only an inspection by a good technician will settle this.
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by Sirchiboy: 2:07pm On Jan 28, 2023
IranianSea:

Thanks guys
Post the picture of the car
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by IranianSea: 3:28pm On Jan 28, 2023
Sirchiboy:
Like seriously, the picture?
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by bonnyhope: 9:52pm On Jan 29, 2023
Sirchiboy:

What for?
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by lonelydora: 6:48am On Jan 30, 2023
IranianSea:

Thanks guys

I have this same corolla for my wife.

My advice is: Check/gauge the gear oil and see if it's short of the recommended mark on the dip stick. (Put the car in Reverse, and hold the break while the mechanic is checking/gauging it)

If it is short, buy exactly the gear oil written on the stick (you will see something like WS).

Please don't drain and refill. Just top up with the recommended gear oil.

Feel free to contact me whenever you have questions

2 Likes

Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by yesloaded: 4:03pm On Jan 30, 2023
IranianSea:

Thanks guys

No harm changing your gear oil as long as you use recommended one

I once changed my gear oil sometimes last year

Changing gear oil is just like that of engine oil as your mechanic will change oil filter as well.

1 Like

Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by IranianSea: 8:27pm On Feb 02, 2023
lonelydora:

My advice is: Check/gauge the gear oil and see if it's short of the recommended mark on the dip stick. (Put the car in Reverse, and hold the break while the mechanic is checking/gauging it)

If it is short, buy exactly the gear oil written on the stick (you will see something like WS).

Thanks. I bought a liter of it last week and I'm scared to make the next move never some are saying I should drain it and refill while you said I shouldn't. Please can I chat you up on WhatsApp? I will request a chat with you via email so that we can share Whatsapp number and communicate better. Thanks once again brother.
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by lonelydora: 11:58am On Feb 03, 2023
IranianSea:

Thanks. I bought a liter of it last week and I'm scared to make the next move never some are saying I should drain it and refill while you said I shouldn't. Please can I chat you up on WhatsApp? I will request a chat with you via email so that we can share Whatsapp number and communicate better. Thanks once again brother.

Contact me on kalutobest@yahoo.com
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by kingreign(m): 7:13am On Feb 04, 2023
sunnymighty:

OP , please ignore this very terrible advise. Your transmission fluid is meant to be changed every 30,000 miles or 2 years together with its transmission filter. Use Genuine Toyota Transmission Fluid Type WS only.

1 Like

Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by kingreign(m): 7:15am On Feb 04, 2023
lonelydora:

Boss, you don’t top up or flush transmission fluid. You drain and refill
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by Fritz007(m): 11:16am On Feb 05, 2023
My one cent contribution, I have a 2005 Highlander limited with the 13 pin gearbox and got all kinds of advise never to change the transmission fluid but got to YouTube and found out there is nothing wrong in changing the transmission fluid infact it's highly recommended. Long story shot I changed the fluid along with the filter and over 7months now it still rides smoothly and changes without me noticing.

1 Like

Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by yesloaded: 8:08am On Feb 06, 2023
kingreign:

Boss, you don’t top up or flush transmission fluid. You drain and refill

Well said
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by nedekid: 6:25pm On Mar 01, 2023
"My car is 3years and 6 months today"
NB: You car is 13 years old. Probably over 150k miles or 241k kilometers.
Check you glove compartment to see if the previous owner had maintenance records there to know when he last changed the gear oil.
But if you have used it for 3 years then you likely would have done close to 30k miles.
To have peace of mind. Get your recommended Toyota gear oil (it might be expensive but cheaper on the long run). Pls do not use mobile or any other.
Drain and refill.
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by Cherechijavan: 3:40am On Mar 17
senator2k9:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by 2shure: 5:02am On Mar 17
Which tokunbo its a used car ,probably driven by arabs,b3 it got here. Better change the oil.ode
Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by Devvagreen(f): 3:28pm On Apr 20
I just got this for Corolla 09

Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by cardoctor(m): 5:22pm On Apr 24
IranianSea:

Thanks guys

There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing the automatic transmission oil on your car's gearbox. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Auto transmissions also require fluid change after periodic use and mileage prompt service intervals. All vehicle manufacturers recommend a service interval specific to all makes and models and there's always a manual booklet to guide you on when to do so in the car's service booklet.

Most transmission service intervals are between 60,000 to 90,000miles and less frequent than the engine oil change.

Typical transmission oil change on Toyota cars of your cars age group is 60k miles.

The current mileage on the car odometer too should be considered if already higher than 60k miles. If less than 60k mile, consider changing it soon based on its age.

CAUTION!!!
This is not a job for the novice mechanic thats why mix ups easily occur. Its not the same as changing engine oils too. A lot of patience and understanding of the skill required will save you a lot if headaches. It must be handled by a very experienced auto technician.

CAUTION!!!
Make sure the recommended oil is used. In you own case the toyota recommend transmission oil (Toyota WS) and the transmission is fully cold prior to draining the oil.

CAUTION!!!
Continued operation of your vehicle without oil change would result in catastrophic failure of the transmission.

On the other hand, topping up must be with the recommended Toyota WS transmission oil. Tranny oil changes on the Corolla 2010 would require approx 6-7 liters and Just make sure its bought by you. Also supervise this job to make sure that due procedures are applied as advised here then check for leaks from sump cover, drain bolt, drive shaft oil seals etc.

Please ignore those who are advising that you shouldn't service your car tranny.

Car-doctor

https://www.nairaland.com/8065335/maintenance-tips-toyota-cars

Re: Should Gear Oil Be Changed Or Topup And When? by Balistic4: 4:40pm On Apr 25
cardoctor:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with changing the automatic transmission oil on your car's gearbox. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Auto transmissions also require fluid change after periodic use and mileage prompt service intervals. All vehicle manufacturers recommend a service interval specific to all makes and models and there's always a manual booklet to guide you on when to do so in the car's service booklet.

Most transmission service intervals are between 60,000 to 90,000miles and less frequent than the engine oil change.

Typical transmission oil change on Toyota cars of your cars age group is 60k miles.

The current mileage on the car odometer too should be considered if already higher than 60k miles. If less than 60k mile, consider changing it soon based on its age.

CAUTION!!!
This is not a job for the novice mechanic thats why mix ups easily occur. Its not the same as changing engine oils too. A lot of patience and understanding of the skill required will save you a lot if headaches. It must be handled by a very experienced auto technician.

CAUTION!!!
Make sure the recommended oil is used. In you own case the toyota recommend transmission oil (Toyota WS) and the transmission is fully cold prior to draining the oil.

CAUTION!!!
Continued operation of your vehicle without oil change would result in catastrophic failure of the transmission.

On the other hand, topping up must be with the recommended Toyota WS transmission oil. Tranny oil changes on the Corolla 2010 would require approx 6-7 liters and Just make sure its bought by you. Also supervise this job to make sure that due procedures are applied as advised here then check for leaks from sump cover, drain bolt, drive shaft oil seals etc.

Please ignore those who are advising that you shouldn't service your car tranny.

Car-doctor

https://www.nairaland.com/8065335/maintenance-tips-toyota-cars

If you missed changing your transmission fluid and it crosses 90k miles, just don't change it again, you will start what you will not e able to finish.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

GAZZUZZ! God Bless You! / Raising My Toyota Corolla Sports / Why Are Naija Used Nissan Xterra And Pathfinder So Cheap

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.