Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,207 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. (2701 Views)

Profiled For Being Ethiopian And Denied Boarding Plane By Kenya Airways / I’m In Ireland Because I Ran Away From My Marriage / I was Refused Canadian Visa Because I "Supposedly" Withheld Information (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by chrisxxx(m): 12:34am On Jan 25, 2023
I found myself in Doha Qatar to catch a connecting flight to the UK. While waiting for boarding time I met other nationalities. Seconds got to minutes and minuted progressed to hours and it came to time to board.
Everyone before me was only showing their passports and we're being allowed to pass. When I got there I reàlised some facial exchanges among the immigration officers. They never asked anyone before me any questions.
They started by questioning me of the reason of travelling and the next they told me was to sit at the dock as I have been selected for random security checks. Is the random security check only a person?
I became scared as I had to wait for the police to come.
I will continue...
Permit me to continue.
As I was patiently waiting I became very apprehensive. I was careless about the bag I checked in at Port Harcourt International Airport. I didn't use padlock anywhere. I had just some few cloths and nothing more. I knew those who steal at the airport don't target bags going out but those coming in from my little travel experience.
My fear was if they had smuggled something into my bag. I was sweating while waiting for their reasons.
One of them came to me and said that the airport security was on their way. I was relaxed but dying inside. What would I tell these people if contraband was found inside my bag?
Then the security came and they started with the initial questions I was asked before. In all of these I remained calm. They wanted to know how many days I would be in the UK which I told them. What I was going for 2hichni also mention with evidence of where I work in Nigeria and my occupation.
The security men then opened up. They said my bag weighed less as compared to many Nigerians passing through the airport in recent times. That they were surprised and smelt a rat. I explained that I decided not to go with much load because I wanted to travel with less items but to come back with Items I might buy when coming.
From my experience it makes no sense travelling with much load as I intended buying when coming.
So basically I was stopped as my checked in bag weighed less than 5kg.
Guys I was relieved . Lastly I would never travel again with my bags no securely padlocked.
Re: I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by seeyounow: 2:17am On Jan 25, 2023
welcome abroad that is the normal treatment of nigerian.. they even frame nigerian up. that why many abroad are in jail

1 Like

Re: I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by orisa37: 4:30am On Jan 25, 2023
OK SELENSKY!!!
Re: I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by larryUG(m): 4:32am On Jan 25, 2023
I have gone through Doha severally, no one has ever selected me for profiling. Same with my colleagues too. My last connecting flight was through emirates in dubai, still no one profiled me selectively. Are you sure your luggage was not initally flagged by security during scanning just to be sure of an Item that may have looked suspicous and immediately they saw the name, they separated you? Since you said na UK flight, i am 110% sure you are not the only Nigerian connecting through Doha on that flight. Did others get same treatment or just you?

17 Likes

Re: I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by sunboy(m): 4:43am On Jan 25, 2023
@op; not everything is racial profiling, sometimes it could be random selection. Anybody irrespective of the country of origin could be randomly selected. You could possibly have a description or first name similar to somebody that’s on their watchlist too. So Atleast they let you go, I just take it that they are just doing their job.

Although there are times when our green passport cause additional security on its own cos of what our brothers have done in their country too, so again they are just doing their job.

3 Likes

Re: I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by Nobody: 6:14am On Jan 25, 2023
What business are you going for?Nigerians don't travel out of the country to invest in foreign countries.They go their to cause nuisance after they sell their properties to seek for a greener pastures and found out that the land is not greener to their advantage.They will start looking for illegal means to survive.

1 Like

Re: I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by davillian(m): 7:04am On Jan 25, 2023
chrisxxx:
I found myself in Doha Qatar to catch a connecting flight to the UK. While waiting for boarding time I met other nationalities. Seconds got to minutes and minuted progressed to hours and it came to time to board.
Everyone before me was only showing their passports and we're being allowed to pass. When I got there I reàlised some facial exchanges among the immigration officers. They never asked anyone before me any questions.
They started by questioning me of the reason of travelling and the next they told me was to sit at the dock as I have been selected for random security checks. Is the random security check only a person?
I became scared as I had to wait for the police to come.
I will continue...
They use phycology to sense fear in you...
And being afraid might give them negative feed back.....
They ask you basic questions first and watch your reactions once they say sorry you would have to wait for checks

1 Like

Re: I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by Sweetvie: 7:10am On Jan 25, 2023
Hmmm undecided
Re: I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by SanctifiedSista(f): 7:52am On Jan 25, 2023
grin kiss kiss kiss kiss

Don't be upset.. simply return back to Nigeria and work on making an impact...once u step in any airport, u will be treated like an African prince
Re: I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by Kingluqman(m): 8:04am On Jan 25, 2023
Sorry bro, Na Buhari cause am
Re: I Was Selectively Profiled Because I Am A Nigerian. by BigDawsNet: 8:08am On Jan 25, 2023
You are only randomly selected... no official will profile your race... they only want to check if everything is in order and you are not carrying anything illegal substances

(1) (2) (Reply)

Visa - Having A Baby In The Us / Detention And Strip-searching Of Nigerian Priest / How Can African-americans Successfully Transition To Nigeria: (business/job)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.