Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,947 members, 7,817,783 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira (1765 Views)

Oil Change: Toyota Corolla 2003, Advice Needed Urgently / .... The Power Of Mobil 1 Extended Performance After 12k miles oil change / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 7:26pm On Jan 26, 2023
So today I went to that autofast place on lekki epe expressway for oil change and while I was at the reception some guy was paying for his oil change and filter and labor and the bill was 90 thousand naira. So I struck up a conversation with the guy and said wow that is a lot for oil change and he said he gets the best oils so that he would only have to change it every 4 months. He had one of those Lexus jeeps GX 460 Joints. What’s my point here ? While some are earning 30k per month someone is oiling his engine for 90000 naira

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by Ishilove: 7:55pm On Jan 26, 2023
sukkot:
So today I went to that autofast place on lekki epe expressway for oil change and while I was at the reception some guy was paying for his oil change and filter and labor and the bill was 90 thousand naira. So I struck up a conversation with the guy and said wow that is a lot for oil change and he said he gets the best oils so that he would only have to change it every 4 months. He had one of those Lexus jeeps GX 460 Joints. What’s my point here ? While some are earning 30k per month someone is oiling his engine for 90000 naira
Life no balance
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 8:03pm On Jan 26, 2023
Ishilove:

Life no balance
rara. Fingers get different lengths
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by blackbone989(m): 8:47pm On Jan 26, 2023
sukkot:
And someone is looking for a job of 70-80 k
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 9:11pm On Jan 26, 2023
blackbone989:

And someone is looking for a job of 70-80 k
thats life bro
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by iamyemiakins(m): 9:33pm On Jan 26, 2023
sukkot:
BMC turned TMC after reading this

1 Like

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 9:35pm On Jan 26, 2023
iamyemiakins:

BMC turned TMC after reading this
cheesy cheesy
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by buygala(m): 3:54pm On Jan 27, 2023
sukkot:

90k is like 120$ at the present black market exchange rate..

Not bad for an oil change, especially if its a late model Lexus GX

Nothing extravagant about it.. Na our naira don cast

1 Like

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 6:02pm On Jan 27, 2023
buygala:

Oil change prices at chain shops
Company Price range*
Jiffy Lube $45.99-$89.99
Meineke $35-$65
Midas $39.99-$89.99
Pep Boys $34.99-$99.99

even in america 120 dollars is ridiculous

3 Likes

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by buygala(m): 6:30pm On Jan 27, 2023
sukkot:

Oil change prices at chain shops
Company Price range*
Jiffy Lube $45.99-$89.99
Meineke $35-$65
Midas $39.99-$89.99
Pep Boys $34.99-$99.99

even in america 120 dollars is ridiculous

The Lexus LX460 you mentioned has a V8 engine which requires 7.8 litres of oil for service.. That's approximately 2 gallons of oil.

If the car shop is using the manufacturer recommended oil, that will likely be full synthetic, a Gallon of the cheapest brand of full synthetic oil is nothing less than 25k presently.. That's 50k gone on oil alone.. Oil filter money no dey inside o.. There are even engine oils that are priced as high as 40k per gallon in this Nigeria presently.

You didn't mention the year model of the LX460.. If it's a very recent model, it's factory recommended oil is 0W20..do you even have any idea how much a Gallon of 0w20 is presently, excluding a factory recommended oil filter..

Moreso that no sane person will have a 2015 and above LX460 and use Ammasco oil and aba-.made Fram filter for its service... Do you have any idea how much those OEM LX460 oil filters cost?

Oga, 90k is a fair price for proper oil change for that model of vehicle including, as u stated, mech Labor. No dey use the 15k wey you dey use service COROLLA with Ammasco oil dey compare with LX460..

It's very possible sef that even with that 90k, those mechs are not servicing the vehicle with the original factory recommended oil and filter.. Because normal normal, na like 60-70k go go ontop Original Factory oil and filter for that vehicle.. And it will take a truly honest mecho to buy that for a Customer..

Na why dem fear God small tell am say make e dey come in every 4 months for oil change, before the nonsense oyel wey dem put inside the engine kaput the engine...Normally, Original Factory oil and filter suppose carry am for 1 year, Ceteris Paribus.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 8:21pm On Jan 27, 2023
buygala:

The Lexus LX460 you mentioned has a V8 engine which requires 7.8 litres of oil for service.. That's approximately 2 gallons of oil.

If the car shop is using the manufacturer recommended oil, that will likely be full synthetic, a Gallon of the cheapest brand of full synthetic oil is nothing less than 25k presently.. That's 50k gone on oil alone.. Oil filter money no dey inside o.. There are even engine oils that are priced as high as 40k per gallon in this Nigeria presently.

You didn't mention the year model of the LX460.. If it's a very recent model, it's factory recommended oil is 0W20..do you even have any idea how much a Gallon of 0w20 is presently, excluding a factory recommended oil filter..

Moreso that no sane person will have a 2015 and above LX460 and use Ammasco oil and aba-.made Fram filter for its service... Do you have any idea how much those OEM LX460 oil filters cost?

Oga, 90k is a fair price for proper oil change for that model of vehicle including, as u stated, mech Labor. No dey use the 15k wey you dey use service COROLLA with Ammasco oil dey compare with LX460..

It's very possible sef that even with that 90k, those mechs are not servicing the vehicle with the original factory recommended oil and filter.. Because normal normal, na like 60-70k go go ontop Original Factory oil and filter for that vehicle.. And it will take a truly honest mecho to buy that for a Customer..

Na why dem fear God small tell am say make e dey come in every 4 months for oil change, before the nonsense oyel wey dem put inside the engine kaput the engine...Normally, Original Factory oil and filter suppose carry am for 1 year, Ceteris Paribus.
oh this one no be mechanic shop wey dem dey put nonsense oyel inside car ooo. This is a European American like establishment that has its own gas station and car wash and strictly oil change and tyres nothing more and they sell strictly their own oils. It’s a top notch place. But even at that 120 dollars is far more than you would pay in any western country even for the same Lexus GX 460
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by buygala(m): 12:23am On Jan 28, 2023
sukkot:
oh this one no be mechanic shop wey dem dey put nonsense oyel inside car ooo. This is a European American like establishment that has its own gas station and car wash and strictly oil change and tyres nothing more and they sell strictly their own oils. It’s a top notch place. But even at that 120 dollars is far more than you would pay in any western country even for the same Lexus GX 460

Even after breaking it down for you, you sha no wan gree grin

Go price original oil and filter before you keep arguing for arguing sake

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sooperrescue(m): 7:00am On Jan 28, 2023
buygala:

Last week, I serviced a 2006 Range Rover sport for 100k. In my workshop, we use the recommended oil. I went around looking for engine oil sold locally and I found only Total selling the old Q9000 5w40 for 37k a gallon. Filters that cannot clean up the dirt in the engine should never be used on high performance engines. I didn't use the Total oil but just gave an example of the oil crisis in the country. Before Oando folded up, they were selling generator oil. AP is selling the same. Mobil has good varieties to choose from. People earning 30k choose to earn it and so the scenario has no comparison

2 Likes

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by buygala(m): 7:06am On Jan 28, 2023
sooperrescue:

Last week, I serviced a 2006 Range Rover sport for 100k. In my workshop, we use the recommended oil. I went around looking for engine oil sold locally and I found only Total selling the old Q9000 5w40 for 37k a gallon. Filters that cannot clean up the dirt in the engine should never be used on high performance engines. I didn't use the Total oil but just gave an example of the oil crisis in the country. Before Oando folded up, they were selling generator oil. AP is selling the same. Mobil has good varieties to choose from. People earning 30k choose to earn it and so the scenario has no comparison

No mind the op

He dabbled into what he knew nothing about.. And instead of acknowledging his ignorance when he was put on the straight-and-narrow, e still wan dey argue grin

2 Likes

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 1:41pm On Jan 28, 2023
buygala:

brother you are not getting the point here. That quality oil in America is like 20 dollars and the filter is like 5 dollars. At the current rate of 740 that’s like 20 thousand naira. The point here is you are being gouged. It’s like a Nigerian man who typically wants to make all his overhead on just one sale and puts a 400 percent profit margin on each sale.

2 Likes

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by buygala(m): 1:56pm On Jan 28, 2023
sukkot:
brother you are not getting the point here. That quality oil in America is like 20 dollars and the filter is like 5 dollars. At the current rate of 740 that’s like 20 thousand naira. The point here is you are being gouged. It’s like a Nigerian man who typically wants to make all his overhead on just one sale and puts a 400 percent profit margin on each sale.

Oya import the said oil/filter and sell it without a profit in Nigeria smiley.. Or you think the importers spend nothing significant importing it, or that they pay no import duty on those ?

Besides its the generic oil filters that are 5 dollars.. There are extended performance oil filters that cost close to 10 or more dollars, excluding importation costs

Besides, a GX460 will need 2 gallons of that oil for servicing, which doubles whatever price you put up there, assuming that's even the correct price

In any case, this is the present going price on dollars for a Gallon of Castrol, not 20$ as you claimed...Multiply that by 2 and add the price of filter, their importation and duty cost, importer profit, and mech labor charge for service, and then explain how 90k is expensive for a 2-Gallon full synthetic oil change.

1 Like

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 2:15pm On Jan 28, 2023
buygala:

Oya import the said oil/filter and sell it without a profit in Nigeria smiley.. Or you think the importers spend nothing significant importing it, or that they pay no import duty on those ?

Besides its the generic oil filters that are 5 dollars.. There are extended performance oil filters that cost close to 10 or more dollars, excluding importation costs

Besides, a GX460 will need 2 gallons of that oil for servicing, which doubles whatever price you put up there, assuming that's even the correct price

In any case, this is the present going price on dollars for a Gallon of Castrol, not 20$ as you claimed...Multiply that by 2 and add the price of filter, their importation and duty cost, importer profit, and mech labor charge for service, and then explain how 90k is expensive for a 2-Gallon full synthetic oil change.

you get the point bro. It’s very expensive. That’s the point. 90 thousand naira will feed a family for 3 weeks depending on frugality. Some can stretch that to feed for 2 months. That’s the point. 😃
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by buygala(m): 2:21pm On Jan 28, 2023
sukkot:
you get the point bro. It’s very expensive. That’s the point. 90 thousand naira will feed a family for 3 weeks depending on frugality. Some can stretch that to feed for 2 months. That’s the point. 😃

E clear say you no well angry

The point of your original post up till your comment before this one was that your friend with the GX460 was cheated because he paid 90k for oil change..

Now wey e don clear say that's the normal price for a good oil change for that vehicle, now you don change am to issue of frugality, family feeding and other irrelevancies.

Wetin concern family feeding with someone spending his own money on properly maintaining his own vehicle for Bleep sake?.. Na you make the moni for am, wey e go feed im moto palm oil just so that poor people can feed?

I don leave you with God.. Before next thing you go talk say paying 90k for oil change is a sin, when pesin never give im Pastor that amount..

2 Likes

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 2:27pm On Jan 28, 2023
buygala:

E clear say you no well angry

The point of your original post was that your friend with the GX460 was being cheated because he paid 90k for oil change..

Now wey e don clear say that's the normal price for a good oil change for that vehicle, now you don change am to issue of frugality, family feeding and other irrelevancies.

Wetin concern family feeding with someone spending his own money on properly maintaining his own vehicle for Bleep sake?

nah bro you are not reading this thing well. First of all I don’t know the man. That’s the first time I ever laid eyes on him and so he is not my friend. Secondly I said while some are earning 30k some use 90k just to oil their engine so this for me is just about comparing the economic situation of the rich and the poor in Nigeria. It’s you who took it to a whole other dimension which I decided to entertain your angle to the thread but my own angle is just comparing the economics of the rich vs the poor

1 Like

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by buygala(m): 2:30pm On Jan 28, 2023
sukkot:
nah bro you are not reading this thing well. First of all I don’t know the man. That’s the first time I ever laid eyes on him and so he is not my friend. Secondly I said while some are earning 30k some use 90k just to oil their engine so this for me is just about comparing the economic situation of the rich and the poor in Nigeria. It’s you who took it to a whole other dimension which I decided to entertain your angle to the thread but my own angle is just comparing the economics of the rich vs the poor

This is you talking about rich and poor yeah?

May God be with you Sir

1 Like

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 2:32pm On Jan 28, 2023
buygala:

This is you talking about rich and poor yeah?

May God be with you Sir

wasn’t it obvious with the original post ? SOME EARN 30K WHILE SOME OIL THEIR ENGINE FOR 90k ?
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by jceesquare(m): 6:20am On Jan 29, 2023
buygala:

No mechanic would recommend the bolded in present day Nigeria. Too many risk involved.
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by jceesquare(m): 6:23am On Jan 29, 2023
sukkot:
Story.
I've worked in a German firm on the island and I know what their service department do there. Forget brand my brother, some of them are glorified Kazeem.
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 8:54am On Jan 29, 2023
jceesquare:

Story.
I've worked in a German firm on the island and I know what their service department do there. Forget brand my brother, some of them are glorified Kazeem.
lol they can’t be kazeems because they are not mechanics. They do not fix cars. All they do is oil change and oil filter change and tire change and alignment
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by jceesquare(m): 9:04am On Jan 29, 2023
sukkot:
lol they can’t be kazeems because they are not mechanics. They do not fix cars. All they do is oil change and oil filter change and tire change and alignment
It's same as fixing cars.
You don't expect a 2022 car to drive in for major repairs outside what you've stated.
Besides, na so e dey start.
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 10:15am On Jan 29, 2023
jceesquare:

It's same as fixing cars.
You don't expect a 2022 car to drive in for major repairs outside what you've stated.
Besides, na so e dey start.
brah, to service car and to fix car is two different things
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by chukel(m): 10:56am On Jan 29, 2023
buygala:

the way everyone claims to be rich on social media is alarming. 90k is too much for an oil change every 4 months. It's a rip off. Which oil is he using? Synthetic? At most 30k for 5 quarts. No GX 460 uses 10quarts. Even at that, its 60k. How much is filter. How much is labor. Moreover, that oil change interval should be 6months.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 11:06am On Jan 29, 2023
chukel:
the way everyone claims to be rich on social media is alarming. 90k is too much for an oil change every 4 months. It's a rip off. Which oil is he using? Synthetic? At most 30k for 5 quarts. No GX 460 uses 10quarts. Even at that, its 60k. How much is filter. How much is labor. Moreover, that oil change interval should be 6months.
lol no mind that guy buygala. he is actually defending the thing
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by buygala(m): 1:03pm On Jan 29, 2023
chukel:

Since you are so sure no GX460 uses 2 gallons of oil kindly tell us with certainty how many litres you sabi say e dey use.

And for you to say that full synthetic is at most 30k shows you don't even know what you are talking about.. There is a Mobil 1 5W20 that goes for upward of 50k presently..

As to your issue about labor cost, you think a place like that should charge 5k for Labor, especially if its a late model GX?

And no.. factory recommended full synthetic oil is guaranteed not for 6 months as you said, but 7500-10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes 1st.... Of course in your hurry to quote me, you didn't see where I earlier questioned the 4-month oil change duration given by the company.

Try dey understand talk and verify your facts before you begin talk.. The fact that you are even questioning that a GX460 uses 2 gallons of oil shows you have no business in this discussion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by buygala(m): 1:08pm On Jan 29, 2023
sukkot:
lol no mind that guy buygala. he is actually defending the thing

Imagine this coming from someone who didn't even know that the GX460 needs 2 gallons of oil for service grin

When you buy your own GX460, use 5k per Gallon oil and 5 huns oil filter service am smiley
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by sukkot: 1:15pm On Jan 29, 2023
buygala:

Imagine this coming from someone who didn't even know that the GX460 needs 2 gallons of oil for service grin

When you buy your own GX460, use 5k per Gallon oil and 5 huns oil filter service am smiley
lol bro you dont see me arguing with you about how many gallons of oil a gx460 uses. thats not my argument. my argument is how expensive it is. especially in a country where the minimum wage is like 30k a month. thats outrageous that to change oil is 3 times the salary of someone shocked shocked grin
Re: Oil Change For 90 Thousand Naira by buygala(m): 1:20pm On Jan 29, 2023
sukkot:
lol bro you dont see me arguing with you about how many gallons of oil a gx460 uses. thats not my argument. my argument is how expensive it is. especially in a country where the minimum wage is like 30k a month. thats outrageous that to change oil is 3 times the salary of someone shocked shocked grin

E dey outrageous because na you dey buy the oil for the guy wey dey use am for im car, or na the guy fault say some people dey collect 30k monthly salary.

Better go sleep if you don't have anything to say.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ecus Aka Brainbox And Transmission PCM Aka For Brainbox For Trasmission / Oil Leakage From My Gear Box. / ‪jaguar‬ XFR Vs ‪BMW‬ M5? [picture]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.