Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,401 members, 7,830,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? (13318 Views)

Is Lexus ES 330 Truly Hard To Maintain? / How Costly Is Honda Civic To Maintain / What Car Type Can A Family Man With An Income Of 110k Per Month Maintain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by easytig(m): 3:46pm On Jan 28, 2023
If it's synthetic oil weight like 5w30 you can go the full year ,but if it conventional oil like 20w 50 then every three months is okay to avoid sludge since it's not as protective as 5w30.
sgtponzihater1:

You only need to service your ride after 12000 miles or after a year whichever comes first.
Did this almost all the I have been driving. The mechanics want you to come every time to they fuel the every 3months story.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Lightway: 3:53pm On Jan 28, 2023
Domipraiz:

Daily Checks
There are a number of vehicle checks that each driver should be making daily before they set off.

External

Before you get into your vehicle, make sure you’ve checked over the following:

. Condition of vehicle bodywork, windscreen, windows and lights.
Condition of windscreen wiper blades.
Cleanness of windscreen, windows, mirrors, lights and license plate.
Security of load, trailer or roof rack.
Condition of tires and tire pressure.
Availability of spare wheel and jack.

Internal

Once you’re sat in the vehicle, take a look over the following – particularly if it’s a shared vehicle, as the driver before you may have adjusted things to suit them.

Mirror positioning
Seat belt condition & function
Head rest positioning
It’s also worth checking these vital functions before you set off:

Warning lights
Headlights and brake lights
Indicators
Horn
Washers and wipers
Brakes
Fuel

Weekly Checks

A more thorough inspection can be conducted at weekly intervals to check fluid levels and various functions. You should be looking at:

Engine oil
Coolant
Windscreen wash
Brake/clutch fluid
Power steering fluid
Oil or waste leaks
Battery condition
Check that your vehicle also has the following:

Vehicle handbook
Fire extinguisher
First aid kit and torch
Warning triangle

wow
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by projet: 4:16pm On Jan 28, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

Congratulations on getting a new car. Ensure to have the car manual, you can download this online if you were not given a physical copy.

Service your car once a year. This could include changing the oil and filter. Rarely the transmission fluid. Don't fall for service every 3months gang.

Please, does each vehicle has their own specific car manual or there is a general one, where can I download the car manual please
Using coolant fluid in your radiator instead of water is way to go to avoid overheating. Watch YouTube videos about your vehicle.

Also you can get specific advice if you mention the brand.

All the best
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by projet: 4:16pm On Jan 28, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

Congratulations on getting a new car. Ensure to have the car manual, you can download this online if you were not given a physical copy.

Service your car once a year. This could include changing the oil and filter. Rarely the transmission fluid. Don't fall for service every 3months gang.

Using coolant fluid in your radiator instead of water is way to go to avoid overheating. Watch YouTube videos about your vehicle.

All the best

Please, does each vehicle has their own specific car manual or there is a general one, where can I download the car manual please
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by golor(m): 6:09pm On Jan 28, 2023
jonas117:
Good day guys, I got a new car, pls what are maintenance tips you can give to new drivers? Do I just take the car to the mechanic once in a while and tell them to test it? What are the signs I should look for? I know about Changing the oil and oil filter but my knowledge stops there, I intend to start driving bolt so my car would need maintenance. Thanks

First confirm if the car catarlyst is intact.... if eh de use one mechanic and inform him you car hv it and that if it goes missing u will arrest him ... mechanic are stilling that stuff like Kilode now
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by shagie07: 6:16pm On Jan 28, 2023
Congrats
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 7:23pm On Jan 28, 2023
kingjoe:

Please how can one overcome no 4
Overheating and shortage of oil in engine

Everything was stated duly.

To avoid overheat; check your radiator and the fan to ensure there is water and the fans are rotating respectively.

To avoid shortage of oil; check your oil gage periodically to ensure the oil in the oil is not below the gage.

You can do all these by simply opening the bonnet and doing some inspections.
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by alibiz: 10:50pm On Jan 28, 2023
First thing first go to a driving school
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Rinoxy: 11:44pm On Jan 28, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

You only need to service your ride after 12000 miles or after a year whichever comes first.
Did this almost all the I have been driving. The mechanics want you to come every time to they fuel the every 3months story.
Okay, thanks. You didn't talk about the coolant part of my question.
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Rinoxy: 11:49pm On Jan 28, 2023
stuffs2002:

jona117, be careful with the number 1 advice given by this person as a mistake with engine oil could be the beginning of the end for your car.

If your car is direct Tokunbo, I would advice to aways use the engine recommended by the manufacturer
What if Naija used? What advice to you profer pls?
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by sgtponzihater1(m): 11:56pm On Jan 28, 2023
Rinoxy:

Okay, thanks. You didn't talk about the coolant part of my question.

Boiling point of water is 100. If you have only water in your radiator, it can vaporise especially at high temperature when doing interstate journey and leave your engine to overheating and knocking. The right fluid in your radiator is a coolant fluid. You never need to fill your radiator if it coolant as the boiling point is over 200. That's what I do personally.

Let me know if this is not clear.
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by stuffs2002: 12:00am On Jan 29, 2023
Rinoxy:

What if Naija used? What advice to you profer pls?

Continue with the Oil the last owner was using
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Shancca: 2:33am On Jan 29, 2023
ThatCEO:

This Ur info wrong o. Change oil at the intervals the manufacturer recommend. Check owners manual. Toyota is usually 5000 miles

Well, it varies. Six months or 7,000 miles for car. Whichever comes first. 5,000 is a range but should apply to highway vehicles.
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by TRADELYN: 10:18am On Jan 29, 2023
Does it mean that you don't need to add water if coolant fluid is being used?
How much for coolant fluid please?

sgtponzihater1:

Boiling point of water is 100. If you have only water in your radiator, it can vaporise especially at high temperature when doing interstate journey and leave your engine to overheating and knocking. The right fluid in your radiator is a coolant fluid. You never need to fill your radiator if it coolant as the boiling point is over 200. That's what I do personally.

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by TRADELYN: 10:19am On Jan 29, 2023
stuffs2002:

What if the new owner doesn't know the previous engine oil used?
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Rinoxy: 1:14pm On Jan 29, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

Crystal clear. Thanks a lot.
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Rinoxy: 1:14pm On Jan 29, 2023
stuffs2002:

Oh, okay. Thanks.
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by bonnyhope: 9:36pm On Jan 29, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

I think it depends on the car

My car manual says 7000miles or 6 months

Any one that comes first
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by TRADELYN: 9:40pm On Jan 29, 2023
bonnyhope:

Any one that comes first
Is it bad to use water only in the radiator?
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by bonnyhope: 9:46pm On Jan 29, 2023
TRADELYN:

Is it bad to use water only in the radiator?

Not bad in my own opinion but coolant is better.

I have used my tokunbo car for over 2 yrs with follow come coolant without issue
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by sgtponzihater1(m): 9:47pm On Jan 29, 2023
bonnyhope:

Any one that comes first

True. We rarely use 7k in 6months. I stretch mine to yearly and never had any issue with this.
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by TRADELYN: 9:55pm On Jan 29, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

True. We rarely use 7k in 6months. I stretch mine to yearly and never had any issue with this.

Almost 6 months or 7000 miles for all cars?
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by TRADELYN: 9:56pm On Jan 29, 2023
bonnyhope:

Not bad in my own opinion but coolant is better.

I have used my tokunbo car for over 2 yrs with follow come coolant without issue
Ok, thanks.
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by jonas117: 11:01am On Jan 30, 2023
saysugar:
ur state?

Rivers state port Harcourt
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by saysugar(m): 7:07pm On Jan 30, 2023
jonas117:

Rivers state port Harcourt
oh nice one
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by kaymart: 3:06pm On Mar 08, 2023
sgtponzihater1:

All the best
Even when the oil is so black?
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by sgtponzihater1(m): 3:22pm On Mar 08, 2023
kaymart:

Even when the oil is so black?

Synthetic oil can last up to a year on routine use. But earliest services should be 6months. This is what I do personally.
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by yak(m): 5:39pm On Mar 08, 2023
alibiz:
First thing first go to a driving school

Which would you advise?
Buy car and go to driving school or go to driving school then buy a car?
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by MaineHomes(m): 9:46am On Apr 02, 2023
Hello guys, kindly advise me. I have a Toyota RAV4 2004 and I want to use it for Bolt. Is the car ok for the business? Has anyone used it and what's the experience

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by fineboynl(m): 5:14am On Apr 04, 2023
Anonymoususher:
Since you know about changing oil and oil filter one other area people often neglect is the gear oil. Many believe the gear oil doesn't need change or stays about 2yrs or more before it should be changed.

My brother don't fall for that, make it a habit to change your gear oil at least twice yearly, it won't kill you but you will pay dearly if your gear gets spoilt. I changed mine with about 170k and I learnt the hard way.

Secondly, always check your water, please ensure you have coolant in your radiator and not just water, coolant is recommended and while driving from time to time your eyes should cool to the temperature reading to be sure your car to know when the car is overheating so you can stop immediately else your car will just burst into flames one day.

Also make sure your AC filter is changed immediately it stops to chill (that thing doesn't cost above 2k), don't fall for the temptation of increasing the AC, as a rule for me, my AC is always at the lowest whether morning, afternoon or night so long as my filter is neat, the car should be cold enough. Increasing the AC can stress your engine, even if you don't notice, the car may require extra power to run the AC and the engine at same time. So at lowest should be a rule for you.

Also, avoid dragging road with crazy drivers especially in traffic, who wants to pass allow them to pass especially this yeye lagos. No go carry Benz dey drag road with corolla cos at the end you will be the loser.

Don't be a rough rider, change your tyres when their teeths are fading, check alignment so u don't derail to another car, when you see bad roads, slow down to avoid spoil ur shock.

Lastly, fix damages when you spot them but be careful not to allow the car overwhelm you because there are seasons when the car will frustrate you back to back and all you work will just be consumed by the car, don't let it get to you, fix the necessary stuffs at your pace
how do you change AC filter? Remove the dashboard?
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Anonymoususher: 9:36am On Apr 04, 2023
fineboynl:
how do you change AC filter? Remove the dashboard?

No, it's very easy to change. I don't know how to describe it but it just beside opening abi drawer in front of passengers sit (I don't know what the name is called) you can watch it on YouTube or if u are not sure, call a technician and with 1k he will just slide it in n out
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by THROTTLE: 3:45pm On Apr 04, 2023
easytig:
If it's synthetic oil weight like 5w30 you can go the full year, but if it conventional oil like 20w 50 then every three months is okay to avoid sludge since it's not as protective as 5w30.

Unless you are using EP, ALMOST all manufacturers recommend an OCI of 6 (six) months (max), irrespective of miles covered, not 1 (one) year as opined. That said, even with EP, there are very many variables to factor:

1. Type of typical use (severe versus normal).
2. Quality of engine oil filter (very important).
3. Other variables too numerous to mention here (like the PCV valve change/service when due) etc.

Las las, if you don't know what you're doing, 5k miles or 6 (six) months OCI is your safest bet.

As an aside: which marque has the almighty 20W50 as recommended (or suggested) engine oil weight? I'm curious.

- Throttle.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Toyota To Share Its Patented Hybrid Car Tech With Other Automakers / Third Mainland Crash: ‘I Was Not Speeding’ / I'm 17 Can I Get My Drivers License???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.