Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,884 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:20 PM

How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? (13262 Views)

Is Lexus ES 330 Truly Hard To Maintain? / How Costly Is Honda Civic To Maintain / What Car Type Can A Family Man With An Income Of 110k Per Month Maintain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by jonas117: 10:27am On Jan 27, 2023
Good day guys, I got a new car, pls what are maintenance tips you can give to new drivers? Do I just take the car to the mechanic once in a while and tell them to test it? What are the signs I should look for? I know about Changing the oil and oil filter but my knowledge stops there, I intend to start driving bolt so my car would need maintenance. Thanks

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Lance008(m): 11:08am On Jan 27, 2023
Change oil when due and always make sure u give professional if it's a very sensitive car

19 Likes

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Montaque(m): 10:16pm On Jan 27, 2023
Wash the car weekly especially the interior.
Slow down on rough terrain
When you park, walk round the car to inspect if anything is not as it should be
Remember to release the handbrake when you want to move out from the parking lot

105 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by salbis(m): 11:36am On Jan 28, 2023
Ensure to follow the manual of your car. Do not take your car to Kazeem's, most especially electrical faults.
Going to reputable automobile shops may be expensive, but it is the best way to go.
Always pay extra attention on the lights on your dashboard.
Ensure to drive responsibility at all times.

Enjoy your ride.

24 Likes

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by VeryWickedGoat: 11:36am On Jan 28, 2023
E still dey shack dis one he run open thread.

20 Likes

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Domipraiz: 11:36am On Jan 28, 2023
Daily Checks
There are a number of vehicle checks that each driver should be making daily before they set off.

External

Before you get into your vehicle, make sure you’ve checked over the following:

. Condition of vehicle bodywork, windscreen, windows and lights.
Condition of windscreen wiper blades.
Cleanness of windscreen, windows, mirrors, lights and license plate.
Security of load, trailer or roof rack.
Condition of tires and tire pressure.
Availability of spare wheel and jack.

Internal

Once you’re sat in the vehicle, take a look over the following – particularly if it’s a shared vehicle, as the driver before you may have adjusted things to suit them.

Mirror positioning
Seat belt condition & function
Head rest positioning
It’s also worth checking these vital functions before you set off:

Warning lights
Headlights and brake lights
Indicators
Horn
Washers and wipers
Brakes
Fuel

Weekly Checks

A more thorough inspection can be conducted at weekly intervals to check fluid levels and various functions. You should be looking at:

Engine oil
Coolant
Windscreen wash
Brake/clutch fluid
Power steering fluid
Oil or waste leaks
Battery condition
Check that your vehicle also has the following:

Vehicle handbook
Fire extinguisher
First aid kit and torch
Warning triangle

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Jestin: 11:36am On Jan 28, 2023
We need a driver like Peter Obi to drive this country to the promise land. Vote wisely next month my people

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Onyeigbo10000: 11:37am On Jan 28, 2023
Always change engine oil when due.

2 Likes

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by lordmayor2013(m): 11:38am On Jan 28, 2023
Where you see money buy car?

5 Likes

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by maryalloy(f): 11:38am On Jan 28, 2023
Am here to also learn

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Nazgul: 11:38am On Jan 28, 2023
Congratulations on getting a new car...to properly maintain it so that it can constantly look neat, do the following.

1. Change the oil, don't use the follow come oil, it can damage your engine.

2. If it's a muscle, buy the dashboard rug.

3. Change the break pad and install alloy rims if the car didn't come with any.

4. Remove the sterio and install Android screen/reverse camera. Note: don't let them convince you to buy DVD reject it, tell them it's Android screen you want.

5. Buy Caution sign.

6. Cut an extra key, cos they'll only give you one key when you buy the car.

7. Buy steering wheel cover.

8. Buy car wash, regular detergent can affect the body paint of the car.

9. Change your side mirrors if they don't rotate. This is to help you fold it in when you park so that reckless drivers wouldn't damage it for you.

10. Pay attention to the alert lights on your dashboard, never allow your fuel or oil run out completely, keep monitoring the level on the dashboard, and top it when necessary.

11. Buy air freshener for cars...you wouldn't want your car to be giving off an awful smell..

12. Drive carefully, car parts are very expensive, never drag the road with a korokpe or danfo driver, they have nothing to loose if they hit you, but you my friend have everything to loose.

13. Too things would swallow your money in that car, one is synthetic oil which is over 30k and the other is fuel. So avoid driving unnecessarily, cos the more you drive, the more you spend.

14. Car wash is 1,500 per wash, so if you cannot afford to be wasting that kind of money every now and then, and don't have the strength to wash the car yourself, look for a mallam around your house and give him like 500, he'll happily do it for you.

15. Drive carefully....I've said it before and I'll say it again, drive carefully, if possible crawl sef. It's when you contact a panel beater and painter to fix a minor damage, and they bill you, you'll understand why I repeated this advice twice.

All these would help you preserve your car. Good luck.

139 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by lordmayor2013(m): 11:38am On Jan 28, 2023
maryalloy:
Am here to also learn

Buy car first

5 Likes

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Nokio2: 11:39am On Jan 28, 2023
U want to maintain it so that Rafiu my tenant who is a mechanic at ladipo will default on his rent Abi...u can try but bad fuel and potholes no dey your hand

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Monumenter(m): 11:46am On Jan 28, 2023
Having a new car is like having a new wife o.. you have to take care it

1 Like

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Interiorbuz: 11:50am On Jan 28, 2023
Thanks
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by saysugar(m): 11:52am On Jan 28, 2023
jonas117:
Good day guys, I got a new car, pls what are maintenance tips you can give to new drivers? Do I just take the car to the mechanic once in a while and tell them to test it? What are the signs I should look for? I know about Changing the oil and oil filter but my knowledge stops there, I intend to start driving bolt so my car would need maintenance. Thanks
ur state?
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Blankstare(m): 11:54am On Jan 28, 2023
Vote Tinubu and your car will be faultless for a long time

2 Likes

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by CertifiedUrchin: 11:55am On Jan 28, 2023
saysugar:
ur state?

Why asking for his state?

You wan go rob am?

3 Likes

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Shancca: 11:57am On Jan 28, 2023
jonas117:

Change oil when due ( every 7,000 miles). Inspect your oil and coolant levels. At least ensure both are not leaking. If they are leaking, your eye should be on them. Particularly, check the oil and coolant levels before leaving in the morning. Look out for check engine light. Most Nigerians don't know this. The check engine is a quick indicator of a potential problem in your vehicle. Once the light throws up, scan the code and check what problem code is it by browsing online. You can get the scan app on app store or play store. There OBD gadgets for scanning. They are cheap. You can get one from Amazon. If your vehicle does not have check engine light indicator, consider that vehicle a total damage cos anything can happen at anytime.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by sgtponzihater1(m): 11:59am On Jan 28, 2023
jonas117:

Congratulations on getting a new car. Ensure to have the car manual, you can download this online if you were not given a physical copy.

Service your car once a year. This could include changing the oil and filter. Rarely the transmission fluid. Don't fall for service every 3months gang.

Using coolant fluid in your radiator instead of water is way to go to avoid overheating. Watch YouTube videos about your vehicle.

Also you can get specific advice if you mention the brand.

All the best

3 Likes

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by HomeTutorsPro: 11:59am On Jan 28, 2023
While there are general tips on car maintenance, telling us the make of your car and the year of manufacture will let experts give you specific guides.
Maintaining a Toyota is not exactly the same with maintaining a Honda or a Ford car.
My golden advice to you is that you MUST avoid roadside mechanics if you want to live long.
Make sure that your car is serviced by people who are specialized in fixing the brand of your car.

1 Like

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Yhemzie(m): 12:00pm On Jan 28, 2023
. Always take note of the coolant level and refill when necessary and in no condition should you replace the coolant with water to prevent rust.
. Don't be too addicted to AC, no reason to turn on AC when outside temp is low to prolong the shelf life of your engine.
. Always check your oil levels (power steering, engine, brake and gear).
. Avoid being a rough driver, the manner in which you driver your car determines how frequent you'll be visiting mechanic workshops.
. Always take cognisance of alignment and wheel balancing to prevent waring of tyres.
. Always take immediate action when you notice a strange sound emanating from your car.
I wish you safe riding and more keys.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Chetas81(m): 12:02pm On Jan 28, 2023
NAIRALAND DRIVER
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by seanwilliam(m): 12:05pm On Jan 28, 2023
Learning
Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 12:08pm On Jan 28, 2023
1.Just always check your dashboard. NEVER NEGLET ANY STRANGE SIGNS.

2. Check your engine oil gage periodically and ensure you change oil earlier even before the due time/ don't on the car AC immediately the engine is on, allow it to steam properly before you drive and on the AC.

3. Don't assume anything, check if your fans are working properly and check the water in the radiator periodically too.

4. The major problem of cars is very simple. OVERHEATING and SHORTAGE of oil in the engine. If you overcome these 2, then you have solved 90% problems.

5. Change your brake pads periodically and ensure proper alignment of the tires.

6. Never give your car to friends or anybody to drive, instead, drive them by yourself or assist them money to use other alternatives if you can't drive yourself.

7. ensure you have all the road safety properties in your boot and always have you drivers license at all time with all car documents valid and updated.

8. Lastly, drive SAFE! driving slow is not the same as driving safe! But don't over speed. Drive and don't allow the car to drive you. USE THE ROAD AND LET OTHERS USE TOO, don't drive slow in a highway lane!

ALL FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE!

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE PETER OBI TO MAKE NIGERIA A BETTER PLACE TO DRIVE IN

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Anonymoususher: 12:14pm On Jan 28, 2023
Since you know about changing oil and oil filter one other area people often neglect is the gear oil. Many believe the gear oil doesn't need change or stays about 2yrs or more before it should be changed.

My brother don't fall for that, make it a habit to change your gear oil at least twice yearly, it won't kill you but you will pay dearly if your gear gets spoilt. I changed mine with about 170k and I learnt the hard way.

Secondly, always check your water, please ensure you have coolant in your radiator and not just water, coolant is recommended and while driving from time to time your eyes should cool to the temperature reading to be sure your car to know when the car is overheating so you can stop immediately else your car will just burst into flames one day.

Also make sure your AC filter is changed immediately it stops to chill (that thing doesn't cost above 2k), don't fall for the temptation of increasing the AC, as a rule for me, my AC is always at the lowest whether morning, afternoon or night so long as my filter is neat, the car should be cold enough. Increasing the AC can stress your engine, even if you don't notice, the car may require extra power to run the AC and the engine at same time. So at lowest should be a rule for you.

Also, avoid dragging road with crazy drivers especially in traffic, who wants to pass allow them to pass especially this yeye lagos. No go carry Benz dey drag road with corolla cos at the end you will be the loser.

Don't be a rough rider, change your tyres when their teeths are fading, check alignment so u don't derail to another car, when you see bad roads, slow down to avoid spoil ur shock.

Lastly, fix damages when you spot them but be careful not to allow the car overwhelm you because there are seasons when the car will frustrate you back to back and all you work will just be consumed by the car, don't let it get to you, fix the necessary stuffs at your pace

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Maintain A Car As A New Driver? by Privatepart00: 12:17pm On Jan 28, 2023
jonas117:

What type of car did you buy?
It has no name ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Using Car Engine For Generator / His Car Was Burgled At Shoprite Ikeja Parking Lot! / Car Robbery And Killing Of The Victim.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.