Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,365 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Benin-ife Relationship Explored - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin-ife Relationship Explored (11293 Views)

Reasons The Benin Ife Relationship Was A Lie Told By Royal Elite / The name benin and her origin Benin-ife Conspiracy / The Benin- Ife Myth Shouldn't Be Circulated Again Ever Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AutomaticMotors: 12:18am On Feb 06, 2023
See his Yariya straight outta da Caliphate grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AutomaticMotors: 12:22am On Feb 06, 2023
Even to this day see how easy it is for Yorubas at their Core to welcome foreign influences with so much Joy and vigour grin grin grin but it is hard for them to believe they welcomed a Benin prince oduduwa grin grin

Samuk
AreaFada2

2 Likes

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AreaFada2: 12:23am On Feb 06, 2023
samuk:

Oba Akenzua saw the handwriting on the wall, that's why he hurriedly carried his thing (Ekaladerhan AKA Oduduwa) and run away from the western region. grin grin this people cannot be trusted, they flirt with every foreign religion.

Oba Akenzua was educated at Kings College Lagos. He knew the language and culture. So nobody could deceive him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by UGBE634: 12:24am On Feb 06, 2023
AreaFada2:

And those created 200 or 250 years ago? grin cheesy

Remember that the status of any ruler has to be officially gazetted in modern times. Is Ogiegor gazetted as a King like Olu of Warri or Delta Ovies? If not what anyone thinks is officially of no value.

Ogiegor is part of Uzama N'ebie or junior Uzama. Junior Uzama is led by Chief Ineh. Ogiamien is a junior member of the junior Uzama too. In case Uzama senior refuse to do their job, the junior will be drafted in. Just like Ihama took over from Isekhure, even though Ihama is father of Isekhure historically to begin with.

is it not because of the politics of Edo south, let me make this clear that Ogie seem to have been reduced to a duke in the Bini practice, because of the fact there is Overarching Monarchy, there is no vacuum in nature, the Oba title that is now accepted as king seem to have suppressed the Original intention, Because, before the coming of the Oba of Benin, they were kings and independent, the emperor role seem to have subdued them to the Position of subordinates in the Bini practice . The Ojies in Esanland are all gazeted, their elites did not allow that stupid politics.

The word Oba in the Bini practice has suppressed the other to a subordinate role, so I see why it is hard for those persons who can't think beyond the surface and seem to be Oba fanatic to accept.

That is why it is totally hard for our brother Edoid tribes to accept a surbodinate role for the Ogie title because they did not experience the Oba and its centralized system of monarchy, whereby the Ogies now play subordinate roles, they only have the word Ovie/Ojie and not Oba.

Enogie is now subdued to mean duke in the Bini practice, because of the Unique system of centralized administration that we now operate which seem to be a sharp contrast of what we operated when these kings were independent before the Emergence of Oba of Benin

I would add that the other Edoid tribes did not borrow the word Ogie which seem to appear as Ojie and Ovie in Esan and Urhobo respectively, still means king. And because they seem not to have experienced a centralized monarchy, , the duke system is certainly alien to them.

Efewestern
Redbonesmith
Scholes0

3 Likes

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AutomaticMotors: 12:24am On Feb 06, 2023
AreaFada2:

Akenzua was educated at Kings College Lagos. He knew the language and culture. So nobody could deceive him.

Thank God ooo that he cut out when he did because if he didn't even you AreaFada2 can't save us in this culture section grin cheesy grin grin
Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AreaFada2: 12:29am On Feb 06, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

Thank God ooo that he cut out when he did because if he didn't even you AreaFada2 can't save us in this culture section grin cheesy grin grin
AutoM. who be me? I for dey wail for desert o. Nobody for listen. Even all the history I saw being written since I was a kid for nor help me sef. Dem for brainwash more Edo Benin people with Lagos-Ibadan express publishers stories. cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AutomaticMotors: 12:35am On Feb 06, 2023
AreaFada2:

AutoM. who be me? I for dey wail for desert o. Nobody for listen. Even all the history I saw been written since I was a kid for help me sef. Dem for brainwash more Edo Benin people with Lagos-Ibadan express publishers o. cheesy grin

grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin

When I first came on nairaland culture section many years ago their brainwashing machinery was very shiny and well oiled it was only until I started seeing your push back I started having hope oo but now thank God all your hard work paid off because their machine is all rusty and dirty now I even heard no mechanic again to service it cheesy
I heard he threw away the spanner saying "The Edo fire is too hot" he can't continue cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy na just some homeless kids dey Try rub oil in machine once in awhile grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AreaFada2: 12:37am On Feb 06, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin

When I first came on nairaland culture section many years ago their brainwashing machinery was very shiny and well oiled it was only until I started seeing your push back I started having hope oo but now thank God all your hard work paid off because their machine is all rusty and dirty now I even heard no mechanic again to service it I heard he threw away the spanner saying "The Edo fire is too hot" he can't continue cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy na just some homeless kids dey Try rub oil in machine once in awhile grin cheesy

Abeg, wey that meme of girl lying on the floor laughing and Drogba own. grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AutomaticMotors: 12:39am On Feb 06, 2023
AreaFada2:

Abeg, wey that meme of girl lying on the floor laughing and Drogba own. grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Chaiii I don't have it o grin grin grin
If someone can help us pls post the meme boss requested oo grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AreaFada2: 12:48am On Feb 06, 2023
AutomaticMotors:

Chaiii I don't have it o grin grin grin
If someone can help us pls post the meme boss requested oo grin grin grin grin grin grin

Actually SW people are very very good people generally. Those from Eastern part are much like Edo people. Whenever I go there, Eastern people don't see us any different. They are very aware of our shared history. I have family all over the area. Some know even our links more than me sef.

Some NLers are just too enthusiastic to jump online thinking it is their ethnic duty. Most posting here don't promote the culture more than me. Our shared culture is so vibrant in the East and I promote it in my own way. If we don't promote it, the Edo in those cultures will be lost. And everybody will be poorer for it culturally.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AutomaticMotors: 12:54am On Feb 06, 2023
AreaFada2:

Actually SW people are very very good people generally. Those from Eastern part are much like Edo people. Whenever I go there, Eastern people don't see us any different. They are very aware of our shared history. I have family all over the area. Some know even our links more than me sef.

Some NLers are just too enthusiastic to jump online thinking it is their ethnic duty. Most posting here don't promote the culture more than me. Our shared culture is so vibrant in the East and I promote it in my own way. If we don't promote it, the Edo in those cultures will be lost. And everybody will be poorer for it culturally.

Yes oo boss I am fully aware of east Yoruba Ediod roots I was in Akure last month one of the local kings there erected a billboard to celebrate 5yrs ancension to the throne, his last name was "Osamuyi" cheesy

Even some of my Igbo friends and associates who served in Ondo have always told me over the years that those people are lost Edo people that they act so "Edo" that there is nothing in looks or character in them that resembles Yoruba ..

2 Likes

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AutomaticMotors: 12:59am On Feb 06, 2023
It is no secret by the way that Oyo/Osun Yorubas act condescendingly towards Ondo people and are always particularly irked by Ondo languages, This I have witnessed with my two eyes because my tertiary education was in the SW, Oyo to be precised !! That is why whenever I see an overzealous Ondo like the one running pantless on this thread I just SMH and move.... ieghe ro!!
Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AutomaticMotors: 1:19am On Feb 06, 2023
As for you fifth-columnist, Saboteurs and Envious History Stealers , while you Uhundan's are engaging in your ungodly work don't forget this is the Benin Flag ooo from time Immemorial grin grin grin cheesy cheesy I norfit talk pass this one cheesy cheesy

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AutomaticMotors: 2:10am On Feb 06, 2023
Just for laughs grin grin grin grin

Alaafin Of Oyo Fights Ooni Of Ife Over Insensitive Oranmiyan Comment

10 years ago
Dec 17, 2012 – Alaafin Of Oyo Fights Ooni Of Ife Over Insensitive Oranmiyan Comment

The frosty relationship between Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade and the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III continued over the weekend, as Oba Adeyemi lashed out at Oba Sijuwade, describing him as one fond of distorting history and ignorant of the details of his ancestral roots. Oni had during the Centenary anniversary of late Chief Obafemi Awolowo held at the MUSON Centre in Lagos criticized Alaafin over the celebration of Oranyan.

He was said to have described Alaafin as not being connected to Oranyan, one of the sons of Oduduwa and so not qualified to celebrate him. Ooni was said to have stressed that Alaafin was reigning over a dead empire, saying that Alaafin was a rascally person and that “Alaafin is not Oranyan”, but he had kept his cool and went ahead with the Oranyan celebration, “which attracted many dignitaries from all walks of life in Nigeria and in the Diaspora”.

Oba Adeyemi while reacting at the weekend during the special birthday lecture organized in his honour by the ‘City People Magazine’, entitled: “Reviving Old Oyo Customs and Tradition”, delivered by a Portuguese national, Ms Paula Gomes (Alaafin’s Cultural Ambassador), the monarch said he had decided not to engage in altercations with Ooni any longer since former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo summoned him, the Awujale of Ijebu, the late Oba Oyebade Lipede and the Ooni to an all-night meeting, and everybody had agreed to cease fire.

He however said despite keeping his cool, Ooni had continued to castigate him and his traditional activities, adding that he had deemed it appropriate “to recall history, educate the Ooni and let the world know the truth.” Making reference to series of documentary evidence, Alaafin recalled that Oyo is superior to Ife in many ramifications, asking, “where did this Yoruba Language that we are speaking originate from?

Which language was used in writing the Bible? It is Oyo Language. Why not Ife language? Where else are they speaking Ife Language apart from Lagere Quarters? Why are the Modakeke people, who are living behind Ife not speaking Ife Language?”. Alaafin further said that he had confronted Ooni with various questions in the past, even before Chief Obasanjo at the meeting, but he could not answer them, “instead, he came with books that could fill three baskets”.

Alaafin said that, “In 2009, Ooni had rubbished the institution of Alaafin, but a year after when he was celebrating his birthday said Oranyan was his father’s ancestor. “How could you have denigrated your ancestors and later claim that you are a son of the Alaafin. Anybody who does not know his ancestral roots, who did not strive to learn about it, and does not learn from those who know, will continue to make mistakes and flounder in ignorance. That is part of Ooni’s inadequacies. “When we wanted to celebrate Sango, they said Sango is not Yoruba. Sango studied Quoran. He was the one that was first conferred with the title of ‘Akeugberu’. He was the first in the art of adjudicating justly.

When he was born, the umbilical cord that joined him with his mother could not be detached. Because they pulled it and it would not cut, it became the name ‘Afonja’. The glory, success and tradition of Yoruba started from Oyo”, the Alaafin emphasized. He added that Oyo state during the administration of late Chief Bola Ige (SAN) came up with a stamped paper recognizing Oranyan as the Head of the Princes and Princesses in Yorubaland, “and that Oyo dominated all other nations, namely: Ife, Ijebu, Egba, Ijesa, Sabe, Owu and so on”

[Source: The Sun News)

The battle of the monarchs…….

AreaFada2
Samuk
Thebadpolitician

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by AutomaticMotors: 2:12am On Feb 06, 2023
Alaafin further said that he had confronted Ooni with various questions in the past, even before Chief Obasanjo at the meeting, but he could not answer them, “instead, he came with books that could fill three baskets”.

grin grin grin cheesy seems like the ooni and this miscreants here on nairaland have something In common

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by davidnazee: 5:58am On Feb 06, 2023
UGBE634:
I can't be talking with a non-entity like you,
Ogie- king
Enogie-Talks of the personage, The king. I am not arguing with you,I am telling you I am not your mate. Oba is anything but native, has no meaning whatsoever in Edo

If it was a non Benin person arguing like this I will have more tolerance for their ignorance but for you that calls your self Benin, you are outright dumb.
How can Enogie mean "the ruler" yet when refering to the title holder we say "The Enogie" or "an Enogie". Enogie is one word and simply means Duke but a low self esteem man like you will not understand.
Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by UGBE634: 7:16am On Feb 06, 2023
davidnazee:

If it was a non Benin person arguing like this I will have more tolerance for their ignorance but for you that calls your self Benin, you are outright dumb.
How can Enogie mean "the ruler" yet when refering to the title holder we say "The Enogie" or "an Enogie". Enogie is one word and simply means Duke but a low self esteem man like you will not understand.
You seem to beunrepentantly foolish, the word the is an english word. You only use the when speaking English.

Enogie-the En there is confering the Ogieship on a person.

For instance, you say En[/b]Ogie oghe Egbean.

The word Ogie is king, not confering it on a person
[b]En[/b]ogie-means [b]the
king. The en there makes the Enogie, definite confining it to a person.

There was nothing like duke until the Emergence of Obas in Benin. Up until the time of Obas in Benin, who were the Ogies in Benin under, I ask

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by davidnazee: 7:26am On Feb 06, 2023
scholes0:

Bros, When a Benin person says Ijesu n'Ogie, what does it mean?

Does it mean Jesus is a smaller duke?

Ijesu n' Ogie means Jesus the ruler
Ijesu n' Oba means Jesus the King
Ijesu ne' Enogie means Jesus the duke, however we don't say Ijesu ne' enogie because he is more than a duke. We either say Jesus the ruler(ogie) or Jesus the king(Oba).

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by UGBE634: 7:34am On Feb 06, 2023
davidnazee:

Ijesu n' Ogie means Jesus the ruler
Ijesu n' Oba means Jesus the King
Ijesu ne' Enogie means Jesus the duke, however we don't say Ijesu ne' enogie because he is more than a duke. We either say Jesus the ruler(ogie) or Jesus the king(Oba).
like Jesu'noba and Jesu n'Ogie means one and the same thing, just that one is local and the Other is Foreign

Enogie and Ogie means one and the same thing

I wish Bini has grown to the size of yoruba, where it is spoken by non natives, you guys would have seen the height of this boy's foolishness

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by samuk: 7:47am On Feb 06, 2023
AutomaticMotors:
Just for laughs grin grin grin grin

AreaFada2
Samuk
Thebadpolitician

Whilst the Ooni and Alaafin were fighting dirty in public, they created what they call ancient burial sites for Oba of Benin in Ife. Oba of Benin is the only one amongst them with such honour. Although the so called burial pit was excavated by the Europeans that were not convinced about the story and found no remain of human bones, which confirmed what they already suspected.

It was because of European suspicious of the story that made them excavated the site. The Europeans have previously documented Benin history for centuries and couldn't find any connection with Ife. They felt their intelligence was being insulted with the Ife fairytale and they investigated and found no connection between Benin and Ife that can be backed up by history.

You can see that Ife and Oyo doesn’t even speak the same language according to the Alaafin in that article you posted. The common language thing was Oyo's contribution to the western region unification arrangement I talked about earlier.

Whenever Dr Egharevba is quoted in Benin, the Benin nobles usually laugh at the person's ignorance. You can Google the Esogban's reply to the late Ooni when the Ooni quoted Dr Egharevba during the public disagreement on Benin/Ife connection between late oba Erediawa and late Ooni.

If not for the fact that Awolowo introduced tribalism and the yoruba are over zealous plus the need to preserve Benin authentic history, there would have been no need to reveal the Ife fairytale.

1. The oba of Benin contributed his centuries old history and got back a very senior role being the chosen heir to Oranmiyan and Oduduwa. The Oba of Benin also got special ancient burial site created for his ancestors, he his the only one amongst them to have such in Ife.

2. Ooni contributed Ife as the centre of migration of everyone and got a lesser role of chief priest.

3. Alaafin contributed the common language and also got a senior role as the second son of Oranmiyan.

The story started with Oranmiyan leaving Ife to Benin, he couldn’t stay, but didn't leave until he ensured he left a pregnant Benin princess behind to give birth to Oba Eweka 1. After Oranmiyan ensured his dynasty will continue in Benin, he left for Oyo were he became the Alaafin, he had a second son that carried on as Alaafin. In Oranmiyan's absent from Ife, the Ooni was in charge of the gods and deity as chief priest.

As with all this kind of arrangements, someone is bound to become greedy...in this case the Ooni backed up by western political class such as Awolowo and a result, things fell apart and Benin moved out of the western region.

This revelation is why most yoruba avoid threads like this nowadays, unlike before.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by davidnazee: 7:49am On Feb 06, 2023
UGBE634:
Royalty is already a group of Royalty, there is nothing like a group of Royalty, Royalty as a word is limitless

you people seem to have a shallow explanation to these things
The word Ogie has existed before the Oba dynasty, who were they now subservient to, who were they now under

The word Ogie means king
Enogie -the king

It is Egie that means royalty

Who were they under before the Emergence of Oba in Benin

For example you can say Oba-mu-egie me meaning Oba has bequeathed royal to me, a chieftaincy title or so

Using Ogie in that contest Oba mu-ogie me would not make sense

Your ignorance is appalling.. I'm trying to help you but you refusing any help.

What is the meaning of Ogierioba in Edo language? Or you never heard the saying, "Oba n'Ogie" in Edo language? Do you know what they mean?

Also if Osaro is an enogie, do you say in Edo; Osaro Enogie or Osaro ne' Enogie?
Osaro ne' enogie means Osaro the enogie.

Enogie is one word, splitting it into 2 words is like saying Kingsley is King Sley..

Ogie is a generic word for ruler. Oba (king) of Benin is the Ogie (ruler) of all Edos, enogies are smaller rulers (ogies) in their domains.
If you understand the difference between ruler and king you will probably understand difference between Ogie and Oba.

Anyways i know your brain just can't comprehend what i just wrote, maybe Efewestern can help you lol..

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by Thebadpolitican(m): 8:33am On Feb 06, 2023
UGBE634:
The Oba was not a king but an Emperor,an Emperor whose title cannot be interpreted in Benin these Ogies/Ovies are kings not dukes

Not those titles those Enogies the Oba is creating now, of course those ones are dukes

I would never agree the Ogi-egor or Okaevbo of Urhonigbe is a duke to the Oba of Benin or any of the Urhobo kings or Esan kings, I would rather see it as a king-emperor relationship

The eleko of eko is he a king or a duke ?
Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by davidnazee: 8:44am On Feb 06, 2023
UGBE634:
You seem to beunrepentantly foolish, the word the is an english word. You only use the when speaking English.

Enogie-the En there is confering the Ogieship on a person.

For instance, you say En[/b]Ogie oghe Egbean.

The word Ogie is king, not confering it on a person
[b]En[/b]ogie-means [b]the
king. The en there makes the Enogie, definite confining it to a person.

There was nothing like duke until the Emergence of Obas in Benin. Up until the time of Obas in Benin, who were the Ogies in Benin under, I ask

Comprehension remains the most difficult thing for you. See the way you are foolishly slicing words like sliced bread lol..

Enogie oghe Egbean simply mean Duke of Egbean.
Saying, Osaro ne' enogie oghe egbean will mean Osaro the enogie (duke) of egbean.

Ogie is generic word describing ruler
Oba simply mean King
Enogie is one word and it means duke.

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by davidnazee: 8:49am On Feb 06, 2023
UGBE634:
like Jesu'noba and Jesu n'Ogie means one and the same thing, just that one is local and the Other is Foreign

Enogie and Ogie means one and the same thing

I wish Bini has grown to the size of yoruba, where it is spoken by non natives, you guys would have seen the height of this boy's foolishness

The only foolishness seen here is the one radiating from you.. Even you know your are foolish.

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by Thebadpolitican(m): 9:00am On Feb 06, 2023
davidnazee:

Comprehension remains the most difficult thing for you. See the way you are foolishly slicing words like sliced bread lol..

Enogie oghe Egbean simply mean Duke of Egbean.
Saying, Osaro ne' enogie oghe egbean will mean Osaro the enogie (duke) of egbean.

Ogie is generic word describing ruler
Oba simply mean King
Enogie is one word and it means duke.

I just tire he is trying to force is own narrative

Please let's start calling the title of the Oba in full seems the other tribes are a bit confuse about it, if we began calling the Oba title in full as omo no' ba, then they they will know the title is not just oba alone like the yorubas are making them believe and that will bring a sense of belonging to the edo people

I notice our elderly one never one day at all referd to the Oba of benin as oba rather they always call in full, omo no' ba, oba is a short form introduced by the European

2 Likes

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by UGBE634: 9:44am On Feb 06, 2023
davidnazee:

Your ignorance is appalling.. I'm trying to help you but you refusing any help.

What is the meaning of Ogierioba in Edo language? Or you never heard the saying, "Oba n'Ogie" in Edo language? Do you know what they mean?

Also if Osaro is an enogie, do you say in Edo; Osaro Enogie or Osaro ne' Enogie?
Osaro ne' enogie means Osaro the enogie.

Enogie is one word, splitting it into 2 words is like saying Kingsley is King Sley..

Ogie is a generic word for ruler. Oba (king) of Benin is the Ogie (ruler) of all Edos, enogies are smaller rulers (ogies) in their domains.
If you understand the difference between ruler and king you will probably understand difference between Ogie and Oba.

Ogie as a word seem to have been limited in Use and practice since the Emergence of Oba in Benin, I am talking about the meaning, the true meaning of the word before the Emergence of Obas.

. In this case, it is talking about the fact that the several kings who go by the name Ogie cannot emerge as Oba (as the Oba, a position which was alien to us and whose meaning we cannot decipher, whose influence we feared. whose might we adore, that is why I refered him as emperor, because we cannot call someone king, whose title we cannot dissect that statement is deep, it is trying to show the dichotomy of the word Oba/Ogie and the conflict between them, it is talking about how one is far bigger than the other in Benin traditional practice. How one seem to have been subdued for another, Ogie-irrioba.

Oba'r'Ogie means Oba is king, Oba as a word is not native, when you understand that, you will be good, but I know comprehension is clearly not your forte

Oba as a word is not native, Oba'nOgie means Oba the king, the Binis referring to him as Ogie is referring him as king in the language they understand

Osaro ne' Enogie is used for description, to describe properly the person you are talking about.

For example- Osaro rhio Okhuo ne

Meaning- Osaro has gotten married o

Someone will now ask, De-Osaro no khin?

Someone will now ask-which Osaro

The reply would be- Osaro ne' Enogie oghe Egbean

Meaning- Osaro that is the king Over Egbean
Meaning- Osaro that is the king of Egbean

that is why I keep asking, there were some Enogies in Benin before the Emergence of Obas in Benin who were they under

When you answer that question, your ignorance is cured for life

3 Likes

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by samuk: 10:19am On Feb 06, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

I just tire he is trying to force is own narrative

Please let's start calling the title of the Oba in full seems the other tribes are a bit confuse about it, if we began calling the Oba title in full as omo no' ba, then they they will know the title is not just oba alone like the yorubas are making them believe and that will bring a sense of belonging to the edo people

I notice our elderly one never one day at all referd to the Oba of benin as oba rather they always call in full, omo no' ba, oba is a short form introduced by the European

He is even more affectionately referred to as Omo as the short version of his title (omo no' ba ne' Edo, meaning a child that shines for Edo) not Oba. His full title literally says he is the one that shines, illuminates Edo. The shining star of Edo, the traditios and culture resolves round him. The remaining part of his title is Uku Akpolokpolo. All these are rooted in Benin antiquity. There is nothing foreign about it.

A none native of Edo will not fully grasp the meaning and full title.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by Edeyoung: 10:23am On Feb 06, 2023
Efewestern:
Supremacism is the reason we won't get anything right as regards to our historical connections and heritage.

Some things shouldn't even be debated when the facts are there. You can't claim to apply common sense and logic and still believe somethings.

The Oba title debate is funny to me because Edo is the core root of most South Southerners and it won't be difficult to validate some claims. If you say the Oba title was used for over 1000years, then other edoid groups would have retained it in their various dialects.

As we speak, the only title that spreads across all related group is Ogie. Now here are my questions.

* When was Oba first used ?

* Why isn't it found in any Edoid languages?

* Most Edoid groups were very independent from Bini influences and would have adopted the title for their leaders if it was the title used pre-migration.

* Why was Ogie the general accepted word for king? Even Unrelated bini-influenced groups like Iwere used Ogi(e)ame. Why not Oba-Ame?

I believe there is a missing link somewhere. The dots aren't connecting.

https://www.nairaland.com/7556730/title-called-omo-noba-not
Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by Edeyoung: 10:54am On Feb 06, 2023
RedboneSmith:

Wow. Sir, what mischief is this? Why are you re-writing the words of the late A. F. C. Ryder? This intellectual dishonesty is not necessary na.

You took the words that the late historian wrote in his chapter "Benin Kingdom" in the book Groundwork of Nigerian History and you mangled it to say the opposite of what the historian wrote.

Ryder did not write that Benin sending for an alien (Yoruba) ruler was inherently implausible. These are Ryder's exact words: "...we seem to tread on firmer ground when we come to the traditions which recount in some detail how a number of Benin chiefs, rather than accept one of their own number as an hereditary ruler, sought a sovereign from the Yoruba dynasty ruling in Ife. There is nothing inherently implausible in this story". (page 110)

Yes, Ryder did say that next to nothing was know about the Yoruba at that early date, but a full quote illustrates that he was not heading to the conclusion that your mangled quote portrays. Ryder's words in full on page 112 of the same book:" What innovations the dynasty may have brought from its place of origin we cannot determine because next to nothing is known about the Yoruba peoples themselves at this early date. The essential innovation was presumably the monarchy itself: all the features that made the Benin kingship distinctive, and very different from the corresponding institutions in Yorubaland, seem to have emerged in later years when the dynasty must have become absorbed in Edo environment."

There is no doubt that Professor Ryder was a proponent of the "Out of Yorubaland" theory as regards the current Benin dynasty. There is nothing wrong with you holding a different opinion from this. But to wilfully distort a scholar's words is a hell of a desperate move. Not cool, bro.

Rather did many research in benin city he did more writing in benin history than any tribe in Nigeria

You saying rather not knowing the yoruba history to draw conclusions in the Benin-ife relationship is absurd

If Ryder could somehow trace the benin relationship to nupe then he definitely saw fragment of evidence between both areas, he could likewise have also seen for the yorubas too but non was there and don't assume that the edo environment has somehow eroded it away when we know it was never even there

Ryder acted on the agreement of both the edos and yoruba historian on the benin-ife history is not something he discovered himsef like that of the nupe-benin relationship, he went ahead to give it a sense of believe and did is research and found nothing

We all know the benin-ife relationship is a political game that was played during the early formation of Nigeria to unite both tribe under a strong political presence

No matter how old an interaction between two tribe took place there must be a relics left by the one that was later absorbed
Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by bundarina: 11:04am On Feb 06, 2023
Not only is it false, only stupid people think an ethnic of people descend from a man, not only is it unscientifical, it belongs to mythology, and the same mythology isn't even believed by most myth keepers. Also, the Yoruba are an ancient group and with large number, they have birthed many ethnicites, including the Edo, not the other way around. The Yorubas were also kind enough to teach their culture and influence, like teaching of the bini bronzes and other arts and crafts.

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by Edeyoung: 11:07am On Feb 06, 2023
AreaFada2:

Let me tell you why. Whether Edoid groups were largely independent or dependent, most acknowledged Oba's superiority. Even those that were more independent sought Oba's confirmation or blessing. Even outside direct Edo areas.

For example, in 1818 (just yesterday in historical terms), Benin sacked Akure when the new Deji of Akure refused to accept instruments of office from Chief Osagwe, Oba Osemwende's emissary. The Deji even murdered Osague (a title also adopted by some Yoruba monarchies as Sagwe or Sawe as a chief). It was serious rebellion and breach of established order. Of course Oba demanded Deji's head physically and got it.

As for Warri, in 1480, Oba Olua sent his son Prince Iginuwa (Ginuwa) to go and be the Lord of the Seas as his new domain. There are various versions as to how this came about. But he was to be "Ogie Amen". About 8 or 9 years ago, the father of current Olu said was now a Christian and wanted to drop Ogiame title. His own family and Iwerre youth protested. He was advised to retain it or abdicate. Gov. Uduaghan, Rita Lori Ogbegbor and others had to intervene. He retained the name to calm things. Iwerre people said Ogiame is the tittle Iginuwa brought from Benin and there is no dropping it. Adding Olu to it is fine. I posted the link to the story on NL before.

All rulers below the Oba were never called Oba in Benin Empire. They were seen as dukes/Enogie/Ogie/Enigie. In the same way Enogie of Utese and Enogie of Usen are seen today. If they were in Delta or outside Edo South, they might be officially called king by now.

Even when Lagos monarchy was founded by Oba Orhogbua of Benin, it was meant as a dukedom, under Benin and that was in Benin view the case until 1861 when Britain took over Lagos with Eleko Dosunmu. Lagos rulers did not even use Oba title before then but Eleko.

In essence, in Benin view, Oba was not just a kingship title but also an emperor. Therefore, no other ruler believed to have allegiance to Benin would bear Oba title. Even if their Ogie title, due to influence and size of their domain, would equate to kingship. Obas of Benin were administratively very precise. Names, titles and all were well-controlled. They always figured out ways to outmanoeuvre the rising powers and influence of Benin High Aristocracy and areas considered Benin territory, whatever people now say of their history post-1897 and especially in current 9ja with rise of ethnic nationalism. It marvelled Europeans already from 1470s.

I have read numerous PG and doctoral theses on Benin History by researchers from across the world and it's quite amazing what they reveal everyday. From Oba Palace Musicology to Palace Societies to Councillors of State.

As for how long Oba title has existed, it was in Benin before Eweka 1 Dynasty. We have exhausted the history of the title here over the years in many threads and posts.

Today, nobody is superior over anyone. It doesn't feed anyone. History just has be straight.

This is what I have been saying that the word oba is as old as the kingdom

Ogiso are myth like every other tribe had in the past they were never rulers, benins old tradition didn't believe on sky kings they believe their gods were on earth, who they to believe to be their Oba who always recarnated not until the European brought the concept of sky kings to benin... If you check old text writing in benin by Europeans you will see all these things

1 Like

Re: Benin-ife Relationship Explored by samuk: 11:07am On Feb 06, 2023
UGBE634:
Ogie as a word seem to have been limited in Use and practice since the Emergence of Oba in Benin, I am talking about the meaning, the true meaning of the word before the Emergence of Obas.

. In this case, it is talking about the fact that the several kings who go by the name Ogie cannot emerge as Oba (as the Oba, a position which was alien to us and whose meaning we cannot decipher, whose influence we feared. whose might we adore, that is why I refered him as emperor, because we cannot call someone king, whose title we cannot dissect that statement is deep, it is trying to show the dichotomy of the word Oba/Ogie and the conflict between them, it is talking about how one is far bigger than the other in Benin traditional practice. How one seem to have been subdued for another, Ogie-irrioba.

Oba'r'Ogie means Oba is king, Oba as a word is not native, when you understand that, you will be good, but I know comprehension is clearly not your forte

Oba as a word is not native, Oba'nOgie means Oba the king, the Binis referring to him as Ogie is referring him as king in the language they understand

Osaro ne' Enogie is used for description, to describe properly the person you are talking about.

For example- Osaro rhio Okhuo ne

Meaning- Osaro has gotten married o

Someone will now ask, De-Osaro no khin?

Someone will now ask-which Osaro

The reply would be- Osaro ne' Enogie oghe Egbean?

Meaning- Osaro that is the king Over Egbean
Meaning- Osaro that is the king of Egbean

that is why I keep asking, there were some Enogies in Benin before the Emergence of Obas in Benin who were they under

When you answer that question, your ignorance is cured for life

Most of these questions have already been answered variously in this very thread, you yourself alluded to part of the answer, probably without fully understanding it.

Benin society evolved over centuries, Areafada2 talked about the ancient elders or edions who came together to elect one amongst them, Benin went through a series of evolution to become the structured and organised society the Europeans met in 1400s.

There were no other well structured society in this part of Nigeria. Even the name Edo have it's own history.

During the evolution of Benin various group left Benin at various periods taking with them what was on ground at that time, this is why the Urhobo still referred to Benin as AKKA people because this was the name Benin was known by when they left. They also took with them the traditional institution that was on ground with them. So it's not surprising if they cannot relate with the later name Edo, because Edo came later, during the reign of Oba Ewuare 1.

The Urhobo have already left at this this time. It will seem that the Urhobo were not around when the name Omo no' ba ne' Edo involved.

Flowing from my analysis above, it will seem that the Igbo that remember Benin people as Idu people probably even have a much earlier contact with Benin than others because pa Idu history of Benin dates further back than Akka.

You wrote a lot below but it seems you don't fully understand the significance of what you wrote:

. In this case, it is talking about the fact that the several kings who go by the name Ogie cannot emerge as Oba (as the Oba, a position which was alien to us and whose meaning we cannot decipher, whose influence we feared. whose might we adore, that is why I refered him as emperor, because we cannot call someone king, whose title we cannot dissect that statement is deep,

There were no where else in southern Nigeria that had such a ruler you just describe above in the bolded. The fact you do not fully understand how a system evolved doesn't make it foreign.

The arguments of scholars that have studied the Benin/Ife connection is that for the Oba to have come from Ife, Ife would have had something similar or close, but Ife had nothing, not even a kingdom.

The Europeans that studied the Benin Kingdom understood how long it takes for any society to evolve into the kind of sophisticated kingdom they met on ground in the 1400s. There were no any other such kingdom around then. Ife wasn't even know to the Europeans for centuries later.

The study of Ife to see if they had such kingdom in the past that was perhaps lost, yielded nothing. Great kingdoms and empire always leaves behind archaeological treasures. Eg Egypt, Athens, Rome. Apart from few Bronzes whose origin couldn't be ascertain, there were nothing of significant found in Ife. Even the Oro Oba Ado burial pit was empty of human bones.

The Europeans lead by Germany and Britain in collaboration with the Edo government are finalising plans to start archaeological works in selected parts of Benin. It's a multi million euro project being financed by the Europeans.

In Summary:

1. You cannot claim Omo no' ba title to be foreign because you don't know it's evolution.

2. The full title which is Benin in Origin is Omo no' ba ne' Edo. Not Oba, Oba is the shortened English version.

3. For Ife to be the source of Benin dynasty, Ife would have evolved something similar because you cannot give what you don't have. Scholars that studied Ife and they didn't find any evidence of Ife kingdom.

4. It doesn't make sense for an organised and sophisticated society such as Benin to seek unrelated ruler elsewhere rather than choose one of their own

5. It's even more outrageous to suggest that Benin was attacked and conquered, and the system was imposed by alien.

6. The Europeans once believed the the Benin artefacts were from Egypt, they, like yourself also didn't believe that the black man was capable of evolving such a sophisticated society that can produce works of arts of such standards. But later evidence proved the artworks to be indigenous to Benin.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (17) (Reply)

BBC's Documentary On Ancient West African Megacities / Igbinedion University Honours Oluwo With Doctorate Degree / Addis Abeba, Ethiopia - The Prostitution Capital Of Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.