Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,605 members, 7,816,505 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele - Business (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele (50801 Views)

New Naira Policy: Do People Still Accept Old Naira Notes In Your Area? / Supreme Court Temporarily Halts Banning Of Old Naira Notes / Old Banknotes Redeemable Only At CBN After Deadline - Emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by Wipper7000: 6:55pm On Jan 31, 2023
Buksaylor:

You cannot accept it as legal tender but banks can accept deposit of it.
Brother, What of if I accept it as a legal tender and later take it to my Bank for deposit since bank still accept it as a deposit. is it not the same. Emefiele is the worst CBN governor. I have never seen a CBN governor running to the president before taking decisions in my life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by Wipper7000: 6:57pm On Jan 31, 2023
Omoapena:

Omo

Na wa o
Its not a legal tender but they will collect it and give you the exact value of what you bring.....

Is your sense not telling you that since they are collecting 20000 units of it while they give you same value either in cash in hand or cash at bank then people will keep spending it when they know they can take 20000 units of it to the bank and still gets same value, so how does that rule out the money being legal tender? YOU ARE RIGHT. THATS WHAT I'M EQUALLY SAYING

I'm not arguing....
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by shinealight(m): 7:01pm On Jan 31, 2023
SmartPolician:
I thought Gbaja was threatening to arrest Emefiele! How come he visited the HoR and the speaker didn't ask security operatives to pick him up? Yeye dey smell.

By the way, why are they going back and forth with this naira redesign policy? undecided

Gbaja threatened to get Emefiele arrested to compel him to appear before the HoR to give explanations. After Emefiele came to his senses, what’s the point of asking security operatives to pick him up? Any sense in that?

1 Like

Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by SisterAnn(f): 7:05pm On Jan 31, 2023
Dreal1247:
What is the meaning of this statement? We need further explanation.
It means after the deadline, you can't spend the money on the streets. But you can take it to the bank and still swap it to get new notes.
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by SisterAnn(f): 7:07pm On Jan 31, 2023
UnfairLife7:
Not surprise

I know the CBN governor will obviously dance to their tone at the end
He still maintained his stand. Read again and carefully.
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by SisterAnn(f): 7:08pm On Jan 31, 2023
christejames:
Means no deadline again na 😏

After the deadline, you can't spend the old notes. But take it to the bank and you will get new ones.

1 Like

Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by Allisgud: 7:11pm On Jan 31, 2023
If this is true,the aim of the redesign is a waste of money
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by SisterAnn(f): 7:12pm On Jan 31, 2023
KingKO22:
Jagaban has won again

Kudos to Asiwaju of Africa

All patriotics Nigerians are going to reward Asiwaju with massive vote so that he can continue to protect the interest and welfare of patriotic Nigerians

Only fake Nigerians and their Anini mastered will be painted by this good news
What emefile told the reps is still what he told the press yesterday after meeting with buhari.

After Feb 10th, old notes stored in underground tunnels by politicians stops being legal tenders. But you can still haul them to the bank and deposit them to get new ones.

You are too slow to understand because your mind is filled with evil intentions.
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by SisterAnn(f): 7:15pm On Jan 31, 2023
Allisgud:
If this is true,the aim of the redesign is a waste of money
How?

After the deadline, you can't spend old notes again.

But you can use trailer to carry them to the bank and deposit them. Then you can withdraw new notes in return.

Now tell me, if a money hoarder takes 20m old notes to the bank and deposit it after Feb 10, can the bank be able to give him back 20m of new notes in return immediately? No!

The old notes would remain scarce till after the election.

Vote buying will be highly curtailed.
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by BloomingDale(f): 7:18pm On Jan 31, 2023
Omoapena:

Where are you people getting this info from,

Governor of CBN said 17th is the deadline for commercial banks to accept it, so why will the commercial banks accept it after 17th of February...

Oga, stop this fake argument. If you take your old notes to the back even years after the deadline, they will still accept it even though it’s no more legal tender.

Even though it’s no more legal tender I’m sure the public will still use it if they can’t get hold of the new notes since you can take the old notes to the bank anytime for exchange.

The only people that are mandated to follow the CBN deadline are the banks that will no longer give out the old notes to the public. Gradually the old notes will be moped off.

Tinubu can still use all his old stash to bribe electorates on Election Day.

1 Like

Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by Elidrisy20: 7:20pm On Jan 31, 2023
This man dey crazy ooo
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by emilo2bad: 7:21pm On Jan 31, 2023
SisterAnn:
He still maintained his stand. Read again and carefully.
Stop consoling yourself you lose big time, we will spend old naira throughout this year

1 Like

Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by BloomingDale(f): 7:25pm On Jan 31, 2023
SisterAnn:
Urchins are senseless, that's why they support Tinubu.

Emefile told pressmen yesterday this same thing.

After Feb 10, old money becomes useless. But if you can go and deposit it, you can withdraw new notes.

Any money hoarder who doesn't finish spending his old notes before the deadline will have to take to the bank.

No Bank will pay someone who hoarded millions of old naira in millions of new money. The money will remain scarce till after the election.

If the public can’t get hold of the new notes, they can still be spending the old notes since you can take it to the bank for exchange anytime. Does not matter if it’s still legal or not. Abi na you wan go monitor them.
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by SisterAnn(f): 7:27pm On Jan 31, 2023
emilo2bad:

Stop consoling yourself you lose big time, we will spend old naira throughout this year
You are dense upstairs.

By Feb 10, old notes you have stored in the grave cease to be legal tender.

But you can still deposit it in the bank to withdraw new notes.

The catch is that, even if you deposit 10m old money, no bank will pay you 10m of new money in exchange.

The new money will still not be sufficiently available. You maybe be offered nothing more than 200k in new money or less, depending on stipulated withdrawal limit.

New money will never be enough in circulation till after election.

Say no to vote buying.
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by emilo2bad: 7:27pm On Jan 31, 2023
KINGBEN1:
CBN has gotten to their target. There is an amount of notes that must be in the hands of Nigerians.

At this point, they have received all they wanted. The quantity of money outside, as regards cash.... cannot influence the outcome of result overwhelmingly in terms of votes buying.
your comment show you are new to Nigeria politics, the new notes is already with politicians
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by emilo2bad: 7:32pm On Jan 31, 2023
SisterAnn:
You are dense upstairs.

By Feb 10, old notes you have stored in the grave cease to be legal tender.

But you can still deposit it in the bank to withdraw new notes.

The catch is that, even if you deposit 10m old money, no bank will pay you 10m of new money in exchange.

The new money will still not be sufficiently available. You maybe be offered nothing more than 200k in new money or less, depending on stipulated withdrawal limit.

New money will never be enough in circulation till after election.

Say no to vote buying.
you the dundee here, the statement is throughout this year old money can still be deposited in Bank. vote buying so you think politicians don't have the new notes ? laugh
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by iswallker(m): 7:34pm On Jan 31, 2023
Omoapena:
Lolz

If banks allows it, then it's still legal tender and people will continue to spend it like they spend the 2 different 100 naira notes we have....

This is now clear to me, general public are advise to start rejecting it after 10th of February while people that still have it are advised to take it to bank before 17th of February to credit their account so which means, it's legal tender until that 17th of February, they should have just said 17th of February is the deadline date instead of all this confusion everywhere...

You can now decides within yourself whether to keep collecting it after that 10th of February with the intention of taking it to bank before 17th of February or you start rejecting it thereby forcing whoever holding it to take it to bank before 17th of February to avoid crashing with him....

Seun, the headline is misleading, banks will stop accepting it after 17th of February and not keep accepting after the public deadline which is 10th of February...

its useless anywhere you go after 10 except the bank - quite simple

grin
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by Allisgud: 7:42pm On Jan 31, 2023
SisterAnn:
How?

After the deadline, you can't spend old notes again.

But you can use trailer to carry them to the bank and deposit them. Then you can withdraw new notes in return.

Now tell me, if a money hoarder takes 20m old notes to the bank and deposit it after Feb 10, can the bank be able to give him back 20m of new notes in return immediately? No!

The old notes would remain scarce till after the election.

Vote buying will be highly curtailed.
yeah thats what am talking about,which simply means electorates can still collect their 3k old note voting fees since bank can collect it🤔
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by Omoapena(m): 7:53pm On Jan 31, 2023
BloomingDale:

Oga, stop this fake argument. If you take your old notes 500 years from now to a bank, they will still accept it even though it’s no more legal tender.

Even though it’s no more legal tender I’m sure the public will still be using it, if they can’t get hold of the new note since you can take the old notes to the bank anytime for exchange. Abi ear dey pain you.

The only people that will follow the deadline is the banks that will no longer give out the old notes to the public. Gradually the old notes will be moped off.

Tinubu can still use all his old stash to bribe electorates on Election Day.

Lolz, in that case, it can't be mopped out so basically it is still legal tender so far the banks will continue to take it and people will keep spending it...

Since this is what you believe, I will advise you to keep the old notes with you till after 17th of February
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by frozen70(f): 8:04pm On Jan 31, 2023
Dreal1247:
What is the meaning of this statement? We need further explanation.

They want people who still have the old notes to bring them to the banks

But don't accept old notes for anything or business transactions
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by R0LL0N(m): 8:06pm On Jan 31, 2023
Do you know somebody died as a result of this chaos. God punished corrupt leaders
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by BloomingDale(f): 8:31pm On Jan 31, 2023

1 Like

Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by Omoapena(m): 8:35pm On Jan 31, 2023
BloomingDale:

Go school, go school. You refused. Now, see the result.

Lolzzz

You went to school but its not showing in you at all..

I guess school pass through you lolz
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by BloomingDale(f): 8:43pm On Jan 31, 2023
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by ibinaboonline: 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2023
So, to you, this is all about enforcing the cashless policy? Even if that were true, then the program is a disaster. I made a POS withdrawal last Saturday and got billed twice. The vendor simply told me to go to my bank. I went to the bank today, filled the form, and then was told to wait 5 weeks. You hear that? Five weeks. What if the reason I need the money is critical? Mine is even a mild example. The country is not ready for a cashless economy. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Parachoko:
Why do you say the "purpose of the whole thing has been defeated"?

Why is the cashless policy kick off in 2012?
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by fxexperts: 9:07pm On Jan 31, 2023
kaeycea:

200m have been having troubles upon troubles.
Why are politicians more concerned about this particular trouble? Why didn't they fight with the same vigor on fuel scarcity and other bad policies.
We the 200m people are ready to sacrifice and stop the bullion van politicians from returning to power through vote buying
Speak ignorantly for yourself dude. You don't know the calamity that is about to befall Nigeria if this useless CBN policy stands.

RichAbujaGuy:
Nice adjustment but I don't think big ppl will be able to withdraw large amounts of new notes for nefarious political reasons. The country is moving into the 21st century of being cashless.
Dude doesn't know what cashless policy means.

Buksaylor:

You cannot accept it as legal tender but banks can accept deposit of it.
How does that sound to you. and will the perceive purpose you so pray for its implementation works. your setout goal has been defeated then.
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by OlawaleBammie: 9:31pm On Jan 31, 2023
Islandboi:
na this election we go know how many sane people dey nah. And what do you mean by enter with litter friction from pdp?
people way dey sane for naija no plenty like that na, so who do u tink will enter?? grin

I meant PDP would give apc a run for their money
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by frog12: 9:34pm On Jan 31, 2023
this man is foolish
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by kaeycea(m): 9:55pm On Jan 31, 2023
fxexperts:
Speak ignorantly for yourself dude. You don't know the calamity that is about to befall Nigeria if this useless CBN policy stands.

Dude doesn't know what cashless policy means.

How does that sound to you. and will the perceive purpose you so pray for its implementation works. your setout goal has been defeated then.

policy will stand despite the desperate attempt to spread fear and uncertainty about it by politicians through their surrogates
Re: Banks Will Accept Old Naira Notes After Deadline - Emefiele by Parachoko: 10:05pm On Jan 31, 2023
Omoapena:

So if banks will continue to accept it, how will people stop spending it or should I say, how does it lose its legal tender status?
A new ₦100 note was introduce in 2014 when Nigeria was celebrating our 100 years anniversary of been United.

How did the old ₦100 notes produce between 1995 and 2014 lose its legal tender status?

When polyma notes were introduce under Soludo, how did the old paper notes lose there legal tender status?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

How To Differentiate A Fake Transfer From An Original One / Customers Fighting Inside Banking Hall (Video) / Aliko Dangote And His Brother, Sani At Mohammed Dangote's Wedding In Malaysia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.