Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 (996 Views)

I Feel Like I'm Being Bullied In My Family / My Dad Still Treats Me Like A Kid Despite My Age / “I Can’t Wait For My Parents To Die, So I Can Inherit All” - Guy On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 11:09am On Feb 01, 2023
My parents always restrict me from many things which I feel is because they want the best for me but at the same time this is SERIOUSLY AFFECTING ME. My social life is 0. I don't have friends, I don't leave the house to visit people or stroll around. I don't know the way to anywhere just to school. They are caging me, and I'm not exposed to anything. I don't want this to continue because it might make me become easily peer pressured.
I talked to them about work because I'm done with secondary school and my Dad refused. I am just at home and I don't have any means of earning or catering for myself. Thats the major reason I want to start exploring, to look for jobs and earn money, I am tired of constantly borrowing airtime and I'm currently owing Airtel #1000. At least if you want to keep me caged provide me with little airtime and data to keep me entertained. I'm gradually loosing my mind and it hurts seeing my mates having some things and I'm stuck at home. This is what causes young kids to start doing various dirty acts at home and when they eventually come outside they'll become too weak and would be easily manipulated. My Aunt isn't in support of their parental method at all as she says it's not right and I wouldn't gain anything from it.
Please I need help and advice and if you have anything I can be doing with my phone to atleast pay up for my airtime loan and start taking care of myself small small, I'll appreciate. I don't want to eventually get used to them and become a burden. I want to provide for my parents and be independent.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by Ireportlive: 11:12am On Feb 01, 2023
Look for a Hotel around most are always hiring all.. get a job or POS attendant
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 11:14am On Feb 01, 2023
Hotel jobs is a big NO, my Dad and Mom would not condone such as they see it as dirty work that would influence you. I've talked to them about working but they refused. I'm loosing it mentally, they'll still be the same person to insult me saying, see what your mates are doing outside and you're here doing nothing 😭
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by nicerod(m): 11:18am On Feb 01, 2023
What about ur siblings.

Ur grand parents?
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 11:18am On Feb 01, 2023
I have tried signing up for remote online jobs but were all in vain, even if I see one my parents won't provide data to do it. It's not like my parents are poor, we're not Rich either but we're comfortable. My dad can spend 5000 for airtime and data in 2 weeks and I'm here suffering. Anytime I ask they keep saying they don't have money
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 11:20am On Feb 01, 2023
I am the first born, my siblings are still little and my grandparents can't do anything about the situation, my Grandma is in Abuja ND my Grandpa is in Lagos with us but he came here for treatment and I don't want to bore him with my complaints. He needs rest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 11:24am On Feb 01, 2023
The phone I'm using is my Grandma's phone from my maternal side, she vowed before she died that she'll give me this phone and when she died, I got it. She was the only one that was there for me honestly 😭. She sent me money for airtime everyweek and always gifted me on my birthday, she was just so nice but she's not here again, lost her to stroke. She was my all and I could kill for her ❤️

3 Likes

Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 11:41am On Feb 01, 2023
I'm not begging for money, I just need advice and maybe any online opportunities, I don't want to continue living this way

1 Like

Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by Duchessree(f): 2:12pm On Feb 01, 2023
Your parents are treating you that way because you're their first child, you either study hard and get admits into the university , so you can have a little freedom.

Or you can beg them to sign you up for a skill.

Or you can find a job as a school teacher.

Beg your grand parents or pastor to talk to your parents.

1 Like

Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by yrhuhfy113: 2:12pm On Feb 01, 2023
AnayoDivine:
My parents always restrict me from many things which I feel is because they want the best for me but at the same time this is SERIOUSLY AFFECTING ME. My social life is 0. I don't have friends, I don't leave the house to visit people or stroll around. I don't know the way to anywhere just to school. They are caging me, and I'm not exposed to anything. I don't want this to continue because it might make me become easily peer pressured.
I talked to them about work because I'm done with secondary school and my Dad refused. I am just at home and I don't have any means of earning or catering for myself. Thats the major reason I want to start exploring, to look for jobs and earn money, I am tired of constantly borrowing airtime and I'm currently owing Airtel #1000. At least if you want to keep me caged provide me with little airtime and data to keep me entertained. I'm gradually loosing my mind and it hurts seeing my mates having some things and I'm stuck at home. This is what causes young kids to start doing various dirty acts at home and when they eventually come outside they'll become too weak and would be easily manipulated. My Aunt isn't in support of their parental method at all as she says it's not right and I wouldn't gain anything from it.
Please I need help and advice and if you have anything I can be doing with my phone to atleast pay up for my airtime loan and start taking care of myself small small, I'll appreciate. I don't want to eventually get used to them and become a burden. I want to provide for my parents and be independent.

YOU NEED A MENTOR

See, at your age making friends is important BUT you may not have the money to get to where the kind of friends you need to make actually exist.... RIGHT NOW, YOU THINK YOU NEED FRIENDS YOUR AGE, BUT YOU DON'T... you need friends at least 5 years older who are far experienced than you in LIFE, so you don't make certain destiny altering mistakes like drugs, sex, etc.

AS FOR REMOTE JOBS... it is easy to get a simple $600/week job IF YOU ARE SKILLED... so what exactly is your skilled level... ARE YOU ON FIVERR, LINKEDIn, UPWORK? you can't get scammed there.... so you see, you are just in the wrong mental space.... YOU NEED TO HAVE WISDOM BEFORE STEPPING OUT ELSE THE WINDS AND WAVES OUT THERE WILL SWEEP YOU AWAY...

Why not start from NAIRALAND... learn FOR FREE- web design, importation... THERE ARE SEVERAL THREADS ON SUCH. And, if you are serious, you can LOAN MONEY AND START selling.... if you are in LAGOS, you can give JUMIA WHAT YOU IMPORTED AND THEY WILL SELL FOR YOU AND PAY YOU...

but if you can't, then you can SELL DATA... since DATA is your problem, why not sell it to others who have the same problem... I BUY DATA FOR 200 NAIRA PER GIG but I resell for 260 per gig to people.... SEE, BOREDOM IS USUALLY A STAGNANCY IN BRAIN WORK

Also... why not start a WHATSAPP TV, since you are in the proverbial 2020 LOCKDOWN MODE. get thousands of people viewing your whatsapp status and sell advert rates to people. For example, if 2000 people view your status, you can charge 1500+ for advertizing any product or service for a week or few days.... and from there you will make money from home for FREE

WHY NOT RESELL.... there are people online who want to sell stuff, why not upload it to jiji and add your own prices to it.... YOU WILL MAKE SALES IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

See, I have been where you are, and I made so much money to break free. Simple, don't complain, LEARN.... find mentors, use nairaland to learn free potent skills and BY 27, you would not be in naija, you would be living anywhere in the world you want on your own terms.

WISH YOU WELL BRO.

2 Likes

Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by Mamayam: 2:20pm On Feb 01, 2023
Chillax. Your parents are using you for practice. They want to see what works best for the other children.
If you turn out fine, then good, they continue with their method. If not, they change hands for the younger ones.
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by FriendsAndFans(m): 3:28pm On Feb 01, 2023
until you get your own house
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by frozen70(f): 3:59pm On Feb 01, 2023
AnayoDivine:

The only way out is to seat for Jamb
Pass your exams and get set to be admitted in school

That's where your freedom to be who you want to be will start

But use your senses
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 6:34am On Feb 02, 2023
Duchessree:
Your parents are treating you that way because you're their first child, you either study hard and get admits into the university , so you can have a little freedom.

Or you can beg them to sign you up for a skill.

Or you can find a job as a school teacher.

Beg your grand parents or pastor to talk to your parents.

Yes I'm currently awaiting admission and by God's grace everything works out fine. I have talked to them about the skill acquisition but they want me to wait till I get admission. I'm meant to be learning skills now so when I get there, I'll earn for myself there🤦🏾‍♂️.
My Grandparents are both not too well, I really don't want to stress or bother them at this time but I'll look into telling my Pastor.
Thank you for you Advice, I am beyond grateful.
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 6:41am On Feb 02, 2023
yrhuhfy113:

YOU NEED A MENTOR

See, at your age making friends is important BUT you may not have the money to get to where the kind of friends you need to make actually exist.... RIGHT NOW, YOU THINK YOU NEED FRIENDS YOUR AGE, BUT YOU DON'T... you need friends at least 5 years older who are far experienced than you in LIFE, so you don't make certain destiny altering mistakes like drugs, sex, etc.

AS FOR REMOTE JOBS... it is easy to get a simple $600/week job IF YOU ARE SKILLED... so what exactly is your skilled level... ARE YOU ON FIVERR, LINKEDIn, UPWORK? you can't get scammed there.... so you see, you are just in the wrong mental space.... YOU NEED TO HAVE WISDOM BEFORE STEPPING OUT ELSE THE WINDS AND WAVES OUT THERE WILL SWEEP YOU AWAY...

Why not start from NAIRALAND... learn FOR FREE- web design, importation... THERE ARE SEVERAL THREADS ON SUCH. And, if you are serious, you can LOAN MONEY AND START selling.... if you are in LAGOS, you can give JUMIA WHAT YOU IMPORTED AND THEY WILL SELL FOR YOU AND PAY YOU...

but if you can't, then you can SELL DATA... since DATA is your problem, why not sell it to others who have the same problem... I BUY DATA FOR 200 NAIRA PER GIG but I resell for 260 per gig to people.... SEE, BOREDOM IS USUALLY A STAGNANCY IN BRAIN WORK

Also... why not start a WHATSAPP TV, since you are in the proverbial 2020 LOCKDOWN MODE. get thousands of people viewing your whatsapp status and sell advert rates to people. For example, if 2000 people view your status, you can charge 1500+ for advertizing any product or service for a week or few days.... and from there you will make money from home for FREE

WHY NOT RESELL.... there are people online who want to sell stuff, why not upload it to jiji and add your own prices to it.... YOU WILL MAKE SALES IF YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO.

See, I have been where you are, and I made so much money to break free. Simple, don't complain, LEARN.... find mentors, use nairaland to learn free potent skills and BY 27, you would not be in naija, you would be living anywhere in the world you want on your own terms.

WISH YOU WELL BRO.

Thank you so much. I am very interested in the Data selling and WhatsApp Tv. I don't actually have much contacts on WhatsApp and I don't know where to buy them or get them. As for the Data Selling, how do I go about that. My mom once did that and didn't earn good money, she didn't even get 60 naira gain on data. So are you using another app or can you refer me to your app or your method because it seems more better than what she did.
Honestly I have tried Fiverr before and the rest but I have never gotten any offer. I can design websites and I am a very very very GOOD blogger because I had a blog before, I did the SEO and Everything by myself but traffic was my problem.
I really appreciate your ideas, they are smart and superb. God bless you, I anticipate your response.
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 6:42am On Feb 02, 2023
Mamayam:
Chillax. Your parents are using you for practice. They want to see what works best for the other children.
If you turn out fine, then good, they continue with their method. If not, they change hands for the younger ones.
Okay, well I feel bad turning out too good because my siblings are going to go through hell
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 6:43am On Feb 02, 2023
FriendsAndFans:
until you get your own house
Well I better start looking for how to earn and as well start saving😂
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by Duchessree(f): 6:43am On Feb 02, 2023
AnayoDivine:

Yes I'm currently awaiting admission and by God's grace everything works out fine. I have talked to them about the skill acquisition but they want me to wait till I get admission. I'm meant to be learning skills now so when I get there, I'll earn for myself there🤦🏾‍♂️.
My Grandparents are both not too well, I really don't want to stress or bother them at this time but I'll look into telling my Pastor.

Well guy, you have to convince them about getting a skill, who are you closer to between your parents or who is less strict. Talk to that person, intact everyday make sure you tell them about how you will like to get a skill. I'm sure if they see how important it is to you they will give in.
Give them a good reason why a skill will help you in the university.

1 Like

Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 6:44am On Feb 02, 2023
frozen70:

The only way out is to seat for Jamb
Pass your exams and get set to be admitted in school

That's where your freedom to be who you want to be will start

But use your senses
Thank you so much, I'm already working towards it, I really appreciate all the smart advice compared to what I've seen others receive
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 6:47am On Feb 02, 2023
Duchessree:

Well guy, you have to convince them about getting a skill, who are you closer to between your parents or who is less strict. Talk to that person, intact everyday make sure you tell them about how you will like to get a skill. I'm sure if they see how important it is to you they will give in.
Give them a good reason why a skill will help you in the university.
Okay thank you, I'll speak to my Mom
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by frozen70(f): 7:38am On Feb 02, 2023
AnayoDivine:

Thank you so much, I'm already working towards it, I really appreciate all the smart advice compared to what I've seen others receive

Thanks dear
Dont mind them
Talk is cheap
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by frozen70(f): 7:41am On Feb 02, 2023
AnayoDivine:

Okay, well I feel bad turning out too good because my siblings are going to go through hell

Dont be surprise if they are the one to resist and fight for their freedom

First child always passes through your type of situation
But you see those following them

They are the ones that have crazy ways of sorting themselves
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by Juoflife1(f): 8:02am On Feb 02, 2023
Just see it as temporary setback. Write jamb and go to the university. You will make much friends and do whatever you like. After school, you find your way. Nairaland will not advice you to rebel against your parents.
Why don't you learn a skill...
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by Ishilove: 8:06am On Feb 02, 2023
AnayoDivine:

See as this young chap writes a lot better than so many so-called graduates.

Pele dear. It's a phase which will pass. They are just being protective, albeit overdoing it. You are their first and they don't want to get it wrong with you

1 Like

Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by Mindlog: 8:24am On Feb 02, 2023
AnayoDivine:

You write well for your age.

While still awaiting University admission, you can learn online on how to improve on what comes easily to you... writing, and how to earn from it. Also look into transcribing, there are lots of free resources on it.

During my undergrad days, $$$ earned from transcription projects helped pay my bills.
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by GloriousGbola: 8:26am On Feb 02, 2023
Mamayam:

Unfortunately it is ultimately completele bs. Human beings are not machines that work exactly the same way when subjected to the same stimuli.

This is why if you see a family of siblings in a university, they may exhibit wildly different behaviour.

I have seen family where one brother is alfa /pastor and the other is nicca.
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by Saintmary(f): 9:47am On Feb 02, 2023
AnayoDivine:

Your parents are setting you up for big trouble in the future.

Simply look for a vocational shop around you, start learning there by yourself.

You need a skill that will bring you money depending on your gender.

You need to be really strong because they will oppose you vehemently but this is your life we're talking about.

Be respectful, do your normal chores at home every morning and bounce off to the shop. Inform them when they ask you where you always go, expect serious punishment but never change your plans unless they support you.

Your life is yours, if you don't succeed in life, they will turn around and insult you.

Be wise.
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by yrhuhfy113: 1:41pm On Feb 02, 2023
AnayoDivine:

Thank you so much. I am very interested in the Data selling and WhatsApp Tv. I don't actually have much contacts on WhatsApp and I don't know where to buy them or get them. As for the Data Selling, how do I go about that. My mom once did that and didn't earn good money, she didn't even get 60 naira gain on data. So are you using another app or can you refer me to your app or your method because it seems more better than what she did.
Honestly I have tried Fiverr before and the rest but I have never gotten any offer. I can design websites and I am a very very very GOOD blogger because I had a blog before, I did the SEO and Everything by myself but traffic was my problem.
I really appreciate your ideas, they are smart and superb. God bless you, I anticipate your response.

errmmm sorry to say but your mum wasn't mentored so she can't make profit.... You too, you did all these without mentorship

HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE WEBMASTERS SECTION here on nairaland? PEOPLE DESIGN AND SELL BLOGS DAILY.... and it sells even without visitors, so why didnt you just do that.

HERE on nairaland, you will see data resell for 215naira.... and you can start from there... I think for that one you will see it at jaratel site

bro get a mentor... you are not having a crisis, you just lack directional purpose.

1 Like

Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by Richy4(m): 1:59pm On Feb 02, 2023
Maybe your neighborhood has some thing to do with how and why your parents were treating you like that.. They are protecting you from the unknown..

Just endure it until you gain an admission into the university...
Though, some time I always wish that some parents would allow their kids to be street smart as well as 'booksmart'. When they combine the two, nothing will move or shake them any more..
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 6:23pm On Feb 03, 2023
Wow. As much as I want to appreciate everyone with each post directed to them, I can't. I am very honored to receive all these advice. It has really gone a long way and I am working towards solving the issue. I have started with the Data Sales just as someone suggested here. I pray NAIRALANDERS purchase from me too as my prices as very affordable.
I've started taking some SEO Classes and I'm currently working towards securing my admission into the University.
May God bless you all, and yes, I believe this is just a Phase.
🙏🏿
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by AnayoDivine(m): 6:33pm On Feb 03, 2023
I have opened my thread for selling data on NAIRALAND Business Section. I anticipate your support 🙏🏿
Re: I'm 17 And My Parents Treat Me Like I'm 5 by imagrg(m): 4:35pm On Feb 04, 2023
Let me tell you something baby, don't go out there...It's full of dirty activities.

Keep to your parents advice and close your legs tight until you are 18. The way you talk makes me feel like you are planning to get jabbed.

Say no until you are of age. Methinks your parents reason my way too. angry

(1) (Reply)

I Keep Seeing Myself Having Lots Of Hair In The Dream. Who Knows The Meaning? / . / Crashed Plane: Families Of Dead Victims Abandoned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.