Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,393 members, 7,815,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

What Is It With Refurbished Phones? - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Is It With Refurbished Phones? (19412 Views)

Is Samsung Shipping Refurbished Phones As New Ones? / Man Who Bought 'Refurbished' Phone From Jumia Cries Out / Jumia Refurbished Phones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by TristanX: 7:30pm On Feb 02, 2023
Sijo01:
Refurbished with fufu instead of panel 😂

E be like sey u don live for Owerri before
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by MartinsD12(m): 7:31pm On Feb 02, 2023
Lazyreporta:
Buy it.. Refurbished no be fake o.

It's a return or repackaged phone.

It's not look alike, it's still the original phone but was return due to one issue or the other, so they fix it and repackage it.
That's why it's refurbished. E no mean fake phone as we commonly reason am in naija
Your explanation does it for me , so much ignorance here people saying refurbished are fake

3 Likes

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by ShenTeh(m): 7:33pm On Feb 02, 2023
See what I found on Google.

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by MartinsD12(m): 7:35pm On Feb 02, 2023
freemandela4:

What is a refurbished phone?
A refurbished phone is not like a normal second-hand phone. It may have been returned by a customer for having a fault that the manufacturer has then repaired and sold it on as a refurb.

The customer may have sold it back to the retailer or phone company so they can upgrade. Or if you're really lucky, they may simply have changed their minds and returned it unused, in which case you'll essentially have a brand new phone but for less.

Before it's sold on, the manufacturer or retailer will check it, repair it and ensure it is up to a certain standard. Then they will sell it to you, although probably without the standard box or accessories you get with a new handset.

Not all manufacturers sell refurbished phones but a retailer will have a similarly high standard of refurbishment and it should tell you if the phone is not ‘as new'. Sometimes, these handsets are referred to as 'refreshed' or 'reconditioned'.

So what are the pros and cons of a refurbished phone, and is one right for you?

Pros

It's cheaper. A lot cheaper. A refurbished phone can save you hundreds of pounds upfront or over the lifetime of the contract.
It's been professionally checked and repaired, unlike a typical second-hand phone.
There will be a warranty period (although it's important to check how long).
It's more affordable if you want to buy the phone outright and use a cheaper, less restrictive SIM-only or pay-as-you-go contract.
As well as extensive testing, the company has to wipe any data left by the previous owner or risk falling foul of the Data Protection Act.
Cons

You'll have to wait for the next top model. If you want the very latest release, there are unlikely to be many on the refurbished market immediately and it may take a few months before one becomes available.
You may not be able to insure it. That said, some insurers will happily cover a refurbed phone, so it's worth shopping around. If you have phone insurance as part of a packaged current account then double check the small print.
The warranty will almost certainly be shorter than with a new phone.
Depending on the grade of refurbishment, the handset could have scratches and scuff marks.
Thank you for opening many people eyes here

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by MartinsD12(m): 7:38pm On Feb 02, 2023
Ikem11:

You talk like a fool . Don't mistake refurbished phones with generic clone phones.

Refurbished are phones used by users but returned for one reason or the other ...maybe mic isn't working properly or earpiece isn't work or antenna isn't working.

Phone brands ship those kind of phones to for fixing and repacked again as a refurbished.

Used phones that the body is gone but the motherboards is good can also be refurbished by changing new packs.

Next time before u talk rubbish try making sense at all
You got it , that guy is a fool though
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by MartinsD12(m): 7:40pm On Feb 02, 2023
kkins25:
I've used a couple of refurbished phones. They are the same original phones but cheaper. Here's why:

Refurbished phones are phones that developed a fault during or after mass production. Manufacturers fix this problem and send back to the market but at a discount.

Infact, alot of "Belgium" phones we use in the country are actually refurbished. Sometimes, the fault of the problem isn't anything serious and the mobile device would function neatly. But, if you're unlucky, the presumably fixed problem could resurface.

So, you're practically gambling!
That last sentence though true
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by mediclife1987(m): 8:14pm On Feb 02, 2023
inoki247:
Lol refurbished get grade dere are some Refurbish you buy from Amazon that will last you long buh I don't know anything Abt Nigeria refurbish...

Buh my PC na refurbished which I bought from Amazon and is 5 years now the PC neva spoil...

But you don change the battery sha?
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by slystyle203(m): 8:15pm On Feb 02, 2023
Refurbished simply means the phone is no longer from the manufacturer, some Chinese companies sent out scavengers to pick spoiled phones/electronics. Those phones will be later reassembled and sell out as refurbished phone. The scavengers might picked phone with damaged screen or with damaged buttons or damaged mouth piece so after they will use the parts of the those that are condemned to reassembled the ones that is manageable. It still same phone but have been worked on and can last very long if we'll handled.
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by inoki247: 8:37pm On Feb 02, 2023
mediclife1987:

But you don change the battery sha?

For once av Neva changed anything in my PC ordinary formatting sef I Neva du before I don't even know how the PC battery looks like.. Have bought series of refurbished products from Amazon thatve never fixed anything in it before....
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by vickydevoka(m): 8:42pm On Feb 02, 2023
Hatrick01:
I saw an iphone 11 pro going for 100k, but they said its refurbished.

Pls i dont gerrit, what are the negative effects of this so called refurbished phones?

And why are they so cheap?

Pls help a brother, i dont wanna waste money.
Please don’t buy second hand iPhone please. De way I de enjoy my 13 pro max no get part 2. Battery last 2 days
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by PAQ(m): 8:44pm On Feb 02, 2023
Abroad phones are bought on contract for a year or two, while on contract when a new model comes out there is an option to return your old phone in exchange for the new model. The old phone will be valued and difference will be added to your new contract for the new model.

The shop, service provider or phone manufacturer that collected your old phone will then refurbish the phone (change screen, casing,battery etc) to a semi- new state and tag it refurbished. In cars you'll see in titles "Toyota Certified pre owned". They have standards to meet before tagging it refurbished and sold, its good to look out for a "certified refurbished" sticker to let you know it was tested and certified

Many of these phones are still like new because the previous owners used them for a couple months before upgrading while others are not. When going for refurbished always go for phones under one year.

These phones are sold both abroad & here. There is a difference between buying a refurbished, second hand and fake phone.
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by Sniper101(m): 8:59pm On Feb 02, 2023
Some few years back, I bought a very clean refurbished Techno phone for one lil girl at the price of 14k. I was even issued a receipt at the shop.

Before 7days, little girl called me and informed me that the phone I bought for her is now refusing to turn On. And that was it.
I had 2go buy her another brand new phone.

Lesson Learnt: buy a refurbished phone at your own peril; especially if you just want to know what "frustration" feels like.
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by Akanoaaa(m): 9:11pm On Feb 02, 2023
englishmart:
Refurbished phones are substandard versions of phones. They shouldn't be called refurbished, they should be called fake.
A refurbished phone of 64gb will take files of 2gb and be crying of low memory space. A refurbished 50mp camera has a clarity of 8mp.

Refurbished is for the less privileged.

You be Olodo. Refurbished items are those items that was returned to company bcuz of minus issue and the company will fix the issue and repackage it and resell it at lesser price.

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by Chuknovski(m): 9:23pm On Feb 02, 2023
It may be an X or Xr, they now change its case and copy 11, you can watch YouTube to see certain switches
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by Ikem11(m): 9:28pm On Feb 02, 2023
xandy84:
You made a valued points but you can do without the insult.

Calling him a fool is not an insult . Check the meaning of a fool then check what he wrote .

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by biyams(m): 10:03pm On Feb 02, 2023
airsaylongcome:
N.E.V.E.R
Ever grin
airsaylongcome:
N.E.V.E.R
Ever😂
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by cownobygo: 10:03pm On Feb 02, 2023
englishmart:
Refurbished phones are substandard versions of phones. They shouldn't be called refurbished, they should be called fake.
A refurbished phone of 64gb will take files of 2gb and be crying of low memory space. A refurbished 50mp camera has a clarity of 8mp.

EXACTLY
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by mediclife1987(m): 10:24pm On Feb 02, 2023
inoki247:

For once av Neva changed anything in my PC ordinary formatting sef I Neva du before I don't even know how the PC battery looks like.. Have bought series of refurbished products from Amazon thatve never fixed anything in it before....

Hmmm, you'll put me through on my next buy from Amazon then.

Make I shoot you email request sharperly...
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by adewaleola01: 10:30pm On Feb 02, 2023
You're wrong on this one . Refurbished items are not fake !

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by determination21(m): 11:11pm On Feb 02, 2023
Are we talking about refurbished iPhone or the Copy android versions of the iPhone, inquire very well before purchase

Hatrick01

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by samsam2019: 11:39pm On Feb 02, 2023
Refurbished simply means it's an original phone pre used, returned back to the company and repackaged with new case and carton.

They are mostly good
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by frank155(m): 11:59pm On Feb 02, 2023
englishmart:

Keep miss leading people

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by cardoctor(m): 12:31am On Feb 03, 2023
englishmart:

Very funny

1 Like

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by Haymus007(m): 1:16am On Feb 03, 2023
GoodBoi1:
Prefer brand new to avoid buying stolen phones or hidden issues
Exactly bro spot on!
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by Talktalk2022: 2:02am On Feb 03, 2023
JJC !

englishmart:

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by Hatrick01: 5:51am On Feb 03, 2023
vickydevoka:

Please don’t buy second hand iPhone please. De way I de enjoy my 13 pro max no get part 2. Battery last 2 days
how much?
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by nedekid: 7:40am On Feb 03, 2023
matotoide:
Red Flag🚩🚩🚩
My own nah the so-called London used phones. Can anyone explain what it means? Do they use that much phones in London?
Unlike naija, most phones are bought on contract in the uk. You take the phone on a network with their phone, data etc plan and a particular amount is direct debited from your account monthly.
When new model comes in you have the option to upgrade, ie return the phone to exchange for the new one.
So in that case you have loads of older model phones in stock which people don't need as that can get the new one.
Those I think are the phones now sold in naija as London used.
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by nedekid: 7:47am On Feb 03, 2023
Hatrick01:

Pls i dont gerrit, what are the negative effects of this so called refurbished phones?

If it is computer village you saw it, make sure when the transaction is done and you take the phone in the box, before you part with the seller, open the box in his presence again and switch on the phone. Make sure the transaction ends with the phone in your pocket and not comming out before you part with the agreed amount. Once your money leaves your hand, no business with the phone leaving your pocket. If they want to pack it in a case for you, decline, tell them to give your the case, you will pack it yourself or decline.
This is to avoid stories that touch eg fufu syndrome.
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by vickydevoka(m): 8:11am On Feb 03, 2023
Hatrick01:
how much?
Ask Google
Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by itpreneurng: 8:44am On Feb 03, 2023
Chief, no refurbished iPhone 11pro will go for 100k, even with Face ID and battery issue. That’s a proper replica or fake iPhone. Don’t fall for it.

Btw, most used phones sold in the market that you realise that it’s crisp clean like new is usually refurbished, and yes, they server very very well.

Hatrick01:

Re: What Is It With Refurbished Phones? by ICTNEWS: 9:25am On Feb 03, 2023
Hatrick01:

Let me try to explain this the way everyone would understand.
so, the issues is, most people when they hear the word ''Refurbished" they tend to confuse it with "Cloned" phones, unfortunately, these are two different kind of phones - What a refurbished phone means is, you know in those European or advanced Asian countries, they have network carrier plan that let them upgrade to a newer devices and trade in the old devices once a new one comes out, basically, what these carriers do is to return those phones back to the manufacturers, then a thorough examining is done to access if there is any damage, either hardware or software damages. If anything is found, they'll go ahead to repair the faults that are detected and then send it to the market such as in African countries where fairly used phones are marketable. that's that for "Refurbished" phones, so there is nothing wrong in buying it, however - Be careful not to buy a "CLONED" device, thinking its refurbished. Cloned devices are a copycat of an original product, but lacks the quality and efficiencies - Battery life will be poor, screen quality will be terrible, and so on. That's the best way i can explain it, hope you get it now?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Code For Flashing Phones / New Mtn Free Browsing Settings / My OTP Still Sends To My Old Number Instead Of The Updated New Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.