Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,813 members, 7,810,119 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:07 PM

Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty (63790 Views)

A Story Of How I Got Deported From Canada(pictures) / 100 Cars Pile-Up, Kill 5, Injure And Trap Many On Texas Highway (Pics) / Helicopter Flying Couple To The Airport For Honeymoon Crashes In Texas (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Les: 3:08pm On Feb 03, 2023

1 Like

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Wealthyonos(m): 3:18pm On Feb 03, 2023
This story gives hope to the hopeless.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Lordbinsmar: 3:56pm On Feb 03, 2023
Cum finish your story oo

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Slynation(m): 4:03pm On Feb 03, 2023
Mrtaye:

You bought mattress from 8k?
oga rest, around 2013, I bought a new 10 inch mattress for 12K....!! So a small size mattress around 2014 should cost lesser!!

124 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by olasaad(f): 4:22pm On Feb 03, 2023
where are your two sisters.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Iriruaga100(m): 4:46pm On Feb 03, 2023
I had a friend like you in my university day’s. He is a practicing lawyer now. To everyone reading, don’t give up on dream!!

134 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by ashatoda: 5:09pm On Feb 03, 2023
Come continue we follow gather

4 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 5:28pm On Feb 03, 2023
Thank you all for following. I will drop more updates shortly cool

17 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 5:30pm On Feb 03, 2023
olasaad:
where are you two sisters.
They are in Nigeria and both of them are married sad

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 5:31pm On Feb 03, 2023
SirKay3:

You are not alone. Following your story. God bless you indeed
Amen. Thank you 🙏

3 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 5:33pm On Feb 03, 2023
Mrtaye:

You bought mattress from 8k?
Yes, student mattress was around 4,000 - 5,000 naira then. I bought mine for 4,500 naira.

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Yemlizzy(f): 5:34pm On Feb 03, 2023
I’m following, glad it was worth it in the end. More updates please.

8 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 5:38pm On Feb 03, 2023
Slynation:
oga rest, around 2013, I bought a new 10 inch mattress for 12K....!! So a small size mattress around 2014 should cost lesser!!
Some people are not aware that there was a time in Nigeria that things were relatively cheap. For instance, the popular Toyota Corolla used for Uber goes for about 500,000 - 700,000 around this time.

128 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 5:40pm On Feb 03, 2023
Yemlizzy:
I’m following, glad it was worth it in the end. More updates please.
Thank you for following. I will post more updates shortly.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Malory: 5:40pm On Feb 03, 2023
247Hustler:
Some people are not aware that there was a time in Nigeria that things were relatively cheap. For instance, the popular Toyota Corolla used for Uber goes for about 500,000 - 700,000 around this time.
You are right.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Mrtaye: 6:12pm On Feb 03, 2023
247Hustler:
Yes, student mattress was around 4,000 - 5,000 naira then. I bought mine for 4,500 naira.
Okay naw

2 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 6:18pm On Feb 03, 2023
Impact of late registration: Missing student records

Although I was able to do late registration, it came at a price. When the school-wide result was released for the first semester, the dreaded “Book of Life” (those who attended my school can relate), my name was not included and all my results were missing. This led to speculations among the students in my hostel and department that I was not a genuine student. However, to me, this meant my village people were far from leaving me alone embarassed.

I quickly swung into action to investigate the source of the problem. When I visited my department to complain about the issue, I found out that my data was not on the system because of late registration which technically meant I was not a student. To resolve the issue, I was asked to bring a copy of my offline course registration form and write a letter to Exams & Records office and the departments where I took my electives outside the faculty. The issue was resolved, my result was released and my name was added to both senate and department records. When I checked my result, I discovered that I performed well in all courses except the electives I borrowed outside the faculty due to late registration. I was sad.

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Geominer: 6:26pm On Feb 03, 2023
247Hustler:

100 level, I bought my new student mattress 3500naira in 2014.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by olasaad(f): 6:31pm On Feb 03, 2023
247Hustler:
They are in Nigeria and both of them are married sad

Please don't forget to help them now.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 7:01pm On Feb 03, 2023
Testing the threshold of my perseverance

The second semester ended so fast. After the exams, I visited my aunt (the one I called to inform about my admission back then). On getting there, I informed the family that I needed a job because my life depended on it. Then told me to exercise patience and began to preach that God would do it. After about three days, I figured out they might not really understand the situation, so I decided to act. As you may have noticed, I am biased towards action. grin

Back to the story. I thought about what to do for a few hours. Then, I remembered one of my old-time friends (one of the three other guys that we were hustling together after high school before I followed the clergyman). I could recall he told me about moving to Otta, Ogun State.
After exchanging pleasantries, I told him about my issue and that I needed a job immediately, and he gladly accepted that I join him. Getting to his place, I discovered he was also living with one of his married aunts in a room apartment. At this point, I felt pity for my friend. When it was time to sleep, our host told my friend to arrange a place for us to sleep because the room was small and would not accommodate all of us including their children.

My friend was just as broke as I was and we could not afford to lodge anywhere. Hence, we ended up sleeping outside because the apartment had no sitting room, passage or any other extension. It was so cold outside and the vampire mosquitoes gladly feasted on our bodies. We couldn’t even close our eyes till daybreak. At daybreak, I told my friend I would be going back to stay with my sister and figure things out from there. I am AA and I easily get malaria. Hence, I didn’t want to add that to my problems.

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 7:03pm On Feb 03, 2023
olasaad:

Please don't forget to help them now.
Sure, it is part of the agenda. Thank you for stopping by smiley

21 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Spanishmilf(m): 7:03pm On Feb 03, 2023
Can you just skip to the part where you made it to yankee… im more interested on your travel life
T for thanks no shades tho

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 7:06pm On Feb 03, 2023
Spanishmilf:
Can you just skip to the part where you made it to yankee… im more interested on your travel life
T for thanks no shades tho
Sure, we will get there soon. It is so close now.

12 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by EngrKemp: 7:12pm On Feb 03, 2023
Bro pls keep writing,u won't be able to reply everyone

9 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by EngrKemp: 7:26pm On Feb 03, 2023
Bro which uni was yours?

2 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 7:33pm On Feb 03, 2023
EngrKemp:
Bro which uni was yours?
University of Ibadan, Agbowo, Nigeria.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 7:49pm On Feb 03, 2023
Worst job experience: working in the factory

I returned to my aunt’s place and continued my desperate search for a way out. About two days after my return, I got news from my uncle-in-law that the popular Gee Pee & Vee Pee (the manufacturers of geepee tanks) were hiring in Otta. I didn’t waste time. I went there the same day and I was hired after a series of questioning. There was no job description and I was to do anything I was to be assigned each day. Resumption was 7am and closing was 7 pm, with a 30-minute break in between. The salary was twenty-one thousand naira (#21,000), and one day salary would be deducted if one is caught loafing once. Subsequent ones will lead to additional deductions.

The following day, I resumed the job. The environment was just like a concentration camp with taskmasters standing around to monitor who was loafing. One must not be seen standing throughout the 12 hours of work or the day's pay would be deducted. I was assigned different tasks that ranged from offloading raw materials from the trucks and packaging finished products.

By 7 pm which was the closing time, I was so exhausted that I could not carry my legs or raise my hands. But I did manage to shower before taking my leave. When I left the factory, I vowed never to continue that job no matter the situation. This became the worst job experience in my life. The time was early 2015.

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by EngrKemp: 8:25pm On Feb 03, 2023
247Hustler:
University of Ibadan, Agbowo, Nigeria.
U must to survive there bro but now,food there is expensive .

I was in uch last month

Bro continue

Make it lenthy .
Keep writing...

I need some thing to forget this Buhari Apc hardship

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 9:16pm On Feb 03, 2023
Getting a regular job, financing my education, and graduation

The same month, my uncle-in-law informed me about another job at a local brewery in their area. The company was into the brewing of alcoholic herbal mixtures. He introduced me to the manager and I resumed the following day. My job involved filling empty plastics with hot alcoholic mixtures, corcking, washing, labelling, packaging and arranging them in the store. The job had no fixed salary but the pay was according to how much an employee could work. Top employees who work there full-time usually made more than fifty thousand naira (#50,000) monthly. As for me, I didn’t have the strength, so I usually made about twenty to thirty thousand (#20,000 - 30,000) monthly during the break.

Now, this job was also very stressful but quite manageable when compared to the other one. Workers also enjoyed more freedom and autonomy here and the environment was always lively. The major problem here was that I often got intoxicated (99% of the time) during work due to the high ethanol (alcohol) content of the mixtures. It is funny to remember that I never tasted any of the mixtures even though I worked in the company for more than six months altogether. The second problem was that I often get hungry at work because of the alcohol content that I inhaled. As a result, a fair amount of my money was spent on food at work.

I did this job during all the long holidays, usually end-of-session breaks, while in school. This way, I was able to raise some of the money needed in the school for the new session. I also combined it with the little I can receive from my aunt before leaving for school.

Also worthy of note is the support from the friends I made in school. One of them specifically paid for my school fees in my penultimate and final years of university. May God bless you Kola. I also have another one that would cook and invite me to come and eat whenever I complained of hunger around him. Many thanks, Samuel. My third friend specifically introduced me to his family and that became my second house after school. Oluwaseun and his family are some of the kindest souls I have ever met. Lastly, remember the church member that brought food when I was admitted in the hospital? Yes, she always sent me a token every new session till I graduated.

In spite of all these, I maintained good grades in school and I was on first class from 100 level to 300 level. However, I didn't maintain it till graduation as I ended up with a second-class upper division, barely missing first class by 0.2. Sad embarassed

199 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 9:21pm On Feb 03, 2023
Let me know if you are still following. Abi the story is becoming too much grin grin grin

99 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by Sisib15: 9:25pm On Feb 03, 2023
Following
247Hustler:
Let me know if you are still following. Abi the story is becoming too much grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Trenches To Texas: A Story Of Courage And Perseverance Against Poverty by 247Hustler(m): 9:26pm On Feb 03, 2023
EngrKemp:

U must to survive there bro but now,food there is expensive .

I was in uch last month

Bro continue

Make it lenthy .
Keep writing...

I need some thing to forget this Buhari Apc hardship
Things are not the same anymore. People cannot even remember that things used to be better because of the excess hardship in the country. I have dropped a lengthy update grin

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

The Moment A Container Truck Fell And Crushed An SUV (Disturbing Video) / Foreigners Sit On The Floor At The Airport In Lagos Due To Lack Of Seats / My 30 Days Sojourn Through Cotonou To Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.