Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,445 members, 7,819,646 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities (35599 Views)

EFCC To Jail Landlords Housing Yahoo Boys For 15 Years / Nigerian Cities Should Look Like This (photo) / Premium Roofing Contractors In Cities Building Everlasting Roof Structures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Omihanifa: 1:17pm On Feb 05, 2023
Forty-six-years-old trader, Mrs Janet Akinyele, was frustrated when she approached a house agent to inquire about a room, but was told that a one-room apartment she last rented at N12,000, was now N41,000, including agent charges.

Akinyele, who resides at the Alakia area of Ibadan, was further dazed when she inquired from the agent the reason for the sharp increase in price, and she was giving a factual but worrisome reply; “madam, if you can’t rent it, those who will rent it will do so without delay”

The agent’s unwavering position made her sad, even as she attributed the skyrocketing house rent to cyber-criminals popularly known as yahoo boys.

Speaking to our correspondent, Akinyele said, “The situation is getting worse. Nobody wants to think about how we eat again; all they are concerned about is money. They just decide to increase without thinking of the poor. Where I am with my family now, we are just managing the place; we have yet to get money to rent another place, and I just came here to see the agent with faith and the amount he is telling me, I don’t know how to go about it.

“But these Yahoo boys, when you tell them any amount, they are ready to pay. I am tired and there is nowhere I will run to except God have mercy on me. When they increase the rent and we are unable to pay, they will now be on our nerves and start asking us to pack out. When you hear the amount for renting a house here, you will be shocked that it’s not like that before. You will hear a house of N300,000, before you know it, those boys have rented it.

The economic situation of the country has not only worsened the living condition of the people, but also increased criminality such as cybercrime popularly known as ‘Yahoo-Yahoo’.

A further investigation by our correspondent revealed that some ‘selfish’ house owners deliberately increase the rents of their houses not only because of the economic situation of the country but because they are aware of the willingness of the Yahoo-Yahoo boys to pay whatever amount they are charged.

A civil servant, Olanrewaju Akinseye, who has been in search of a house for a while, said he was frustrated with the cost of an apartment he had wanted to rent, only to find out later that the house had been taken.

The house he had earlier enquired but couldn’t pay as a result of the high cost was taken by suspected Yahoo boys barely few days after his visit to the place.

Narrating his experience to our correspondent, he said, “My place of work is at Idi-ape in ibadan, I was offered a one bedroom flat for N250,000, something that was not more than N80,000 before. So, I told them I would be back. I went thereafter to the Sango area to check another house which was offered to me for N110,000. So, I opted for it. I think two or three days later, I was passing through the house at Idi-ape and I noticed some guys at the house with their dreaded hairs. I could not determine if they were Yahoo boys but that’s how they used to dress,” he said.

Speaking further, Akinseye blamed house agents for increasing the woes of the Nigerians by renting out houses to Yahoo boys to earn more.

“Even those agents will tell you that if you can’t pay for it, those who can afford it will pay for it, and of course, we know those that can pay, and they are those Yahoo boys because they have free money with them, we are civil servants, we labour before we get paid. So, we can’t throw them around like they do. The truth is that the situation is affecting a lot of people because the agents and even landlords don’t care again,” he added.

On his part, Sunday Odekola, who resides at Ogbomoso area of Oyo State, said the situation in the area was getting worse on a daily basis.

According to him, those boys spend lavishly and display their ill-gotten riches without considering the consequences. He added that the situation had made life difficult for other people who living moderately.

“It is a very big issue here; those yahoo boys are majorly responsible for the increase of houses here because whatever amount they are told, they will pay without negotiation but someone who is not a Yahoo boy will think twice and negotiate properly. That is what some landlords don’t want.

“This issue has made life difficult for several people over here. And even the landlords are not helping matters; they increase the house rents without considering other people. They see these suspected cyber criminals as the ones that can pay their money, but it’s really unfortunate.”

Similarly, Adekola Ayomide, a resident of Offa in Kwara State, said Yahoo boys were intimidating low income earners with the manners they flaunt money around.

“Those yahoo boys are not helping matters. Sometimes when you are negotiating for a house, which is where you will see these guys come and before you know it, they will pay and even pay double.

“Even if you have paid N40,000 for a house and you have not packed into the house, if they see a Yahoo boy and they charge him N100,000; he will pay and the agent will refund your money. They just look for one excuse and that will be it.”

Cybercrime, worsen poverty
The menace of cyber fraudsters is a growing issue which has attracted global concern in the last few years as many youths daily joins the illegal business of financial, intellectual property, and personal identity theft amongst individuals, corporate organisations, and governments.

There has also been an increase in cyber crimes within the last eight years in the country.
According to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, a total of 3,785 convictions were recorded in 2022. Those convicted included internet fraudsters and other financial criminals. The lavish lifestyle of the Yahoo boys, however, has continued to tell on the nation which has a large number of poor people.

According to the World Bank, 22 million people in Nigeria do not have the housing they need. While the National Bureau of Statistics reveals that 63% of persons living within Nigeria (133 million people) are multi-dimensionally poor.

Agents, Landlords react
A house agent, Ayoade Oyediran, said yahoo boys always entice house owners with extra payments in a bid to ensure that the house is given to them.

He said, “I don’t do such things but some of my colleagues, who have spoken about it, say sometimes when someone has paid for a house and has been issued receipt, when another person suspected to be Yahoo boy comes and say he has interest in the same house, you hear them saying they will double the payment. And you know how things are; who will see money and reject it?

“This thing has made most landlords nowadays to be greedy so much that they gradually increased their house rents without considering that not everyone that is a Yahoo boy.

“What some of them even do now is that they disguise themselves as if they are not yahoo boys. They will wear a cap to cover their hair and an Islamic gown to cover their body so you would think that they are decent and religious people.”

On her part, a widow and landlady in Ibadan, Mrs Deborah Akinleye, who is a retired civil servant, said, “Some landlords are selfish people and I won’t blame them too because most times the house is the only source of income they have. So, what do you expect when they see someone that can pay double for what they live on? But for me, I screen people that come to me; I have a form I give to anyone.”

A landlord in Ibadan, Alfa Animashaun, warned against giving houses to yahoo boys. According to him, renting out houses to criminals has spiritual implications as most of the yahoo boys are now into yahoo plus.

“You see this issue of Yahoo boys is serious; most of them will not end up well. Some landlords lack understanding. That’s why they are doing what they are doing. If they know that the source of the money that they collect has a lot to do with life, they will be more careful. The money most of these Yahoo boys are spending is not clean; some of them are spending blood money and you can’t collect blood money and go scot free. There is a spiritual implication to everything. I will urge them to desist from it”.

On his part, Mr Lateef Shittu, a landlord in Ogbomosho, said their association, Oke Owode Landlord Association, has mandated that all tenants must be properly registered and well known before houses are rented to them.

“We have a landlord association and before we give anyone a house, we give them forms to fill, and tell them about our guidelines”.

EFCC reacts
Speaking to our correspondent in a telephone interview, the spokesperson of the EFCC, Wilson Uwujaren, said anyone who allowed his premises to be used to commit offense was liable to 15 years jail term.

https://punchng.com/how-yahoo-boys-influence-skyrocketing-rent-in-cities/

15 Likes

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by dollytino4real(f): 3:03pm On Feb 05, 2023
Warri own worst!! Here in ph rent high since A.D.C so yahoo no too influence the rent

46 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Bahamas95(m): 3:11pm On Feb 05, 2023
Don't blame yahoo boys, most Nigerians are naturally wicked. They just pretend to be nice when they haven't got opportunity to show you their true colours.

Nobody would beat you as a landlord if you make your rent affordable.

365 Likes 30 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by southsouthking(m): 5:02pm On Feb 05, 2023
Some Landlord are devil incarnate while some agents are devil themselves.
Especially those Lagos agents.
They don’t mind charging you fee that’s more than even the annual fee for the rent.

164 Likes 17 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Tayorshd2(m): 5:55pm On Feb 05, 2023
.this are even smaller prices compare to Lagos a miniflat is now 600k minimum of 500k ..

And yet person go need to live in a house kiss cry

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by SpecialAdviser(m): 5:55pm On Feb 05, 2023
Na wa
Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Light78: 5:55pm On Feb 05, 2023
Even to enter a boutique, one cloth is 20k.

Once they go broke, they begin to beg.

Funny set of people.

123 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by HajiMT: 5:55pm On Feb 05, 2023
Quite unfortunate but that is the sad reality. A civil servant for instance, who earns 50k per month stands no chance in getting a decent accommodation

86 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by NORSYK(m): 5:56pm On Feb 05, 2023
Absolutely Spot on.

We are facing a different scenario here in Bonny Island because of LNG TRAIN 7 PROJECT, landlords in Bonny have all become greedy.
The proposed salary everyone heard about the TRAIN 7 PROJECT was just a fluke as the amount isn't what they are paying despite that the greedy landlords went ahead to increase their rents.

Imagine paying for a self contain room for 300k previously paid for 120k?

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by fixedhollies(m): 5:56pm On Feb 05, 2023
Cost of cement now na war… I told my guy. Building a room and parlor in 4 flats will consume 15m. With pop and tiles. Running water inclusive. It will take the landlord an average of 15 years to recover the money spent.

2020 cement na 2500, today na 4500. That is just 2 years interval. People can’t afford to build houses again. The few standard ones available cost much and unaffordable. It’s just poor standard of living.

The only menace I think government should intervene is the added money from agents. The house the landlord is letting out at 250k, you will end up paying 350k. That 100k is much.

Let’s blame poverty in the land.

87 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by scrome: 5:56pm On Feb 05, 2023
Omo, even my landlord is preparing to replace me with a yahoo boy when I vacate his property because he wants to increase rent.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by oluwaseunamos33(m): 5:56pm On Feb 05, 2023
See them, international thief's. Na this kind yeye goat go dey our politicians names and na Dem worst pass

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by marlow1962(m): 5:57pm On Feb 05, 2023
Lol

Yahoo boys abi yahoo+ boys?

Before I found this my present place, the house I wanted to move into, the owner told me 700k for 2 rooms and pallor(second year 650k). I was like ah ose e cost o, and he said you no know say the house get pop. I told him point blank " na pop I wn chop"
I saw many boys there (both the ones were get gle and glc full there).
Omo I have to look for another place, many reasons made me move
1-if I gv that man 700k for first year, how certain am I that I can cuff out that huge amount the second year
2- the boys there are too raggedy and lousy

The place am staying now is 350k, room and palor
spacious but no pop. I love it, cool area, light is okay, clean compound and cool neighbors (tho I hardly associate with them).

129 Likes 9 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Nobody: 5:57pm On Feb 05, 2023
I can never do crime...

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by olgaa14: 5:57pm On Feb 05, 2023
Everything is over priced.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Evergreen4(m): 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2023
The funny part is that they pay any amount the landlord tells them. After 1 year when their rent expires, most of them are unable to renew the rent there by causing problem for another incoming tenant with legitimate business as the landlord is not ready to reduce the rent.

In Lagos suburbs, where a room and palour self contain use to be 150k to 170k annually have skyrocketed to between 350k to 400k because of the influx of yahoo boys.

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Zeddyzed: 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2023
This is lazy journalism. In this same Nigeria, food prices, fuel prices even POS charges has skyrocketed in the past few months. Yet, this article will rather divert the blame to a frivolous reason than admit that rent will also increase when every other price increases.

It's articles like this that make people think Nigeria is a fraud hub. Places with the actual fraud boys are not blaming so called "G boys" for rent increase.

61 Likes 8 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by tommy589(m): 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2023
Other reasons are involved not yahoo alone. Except the coded ones with packaging, how many landlords can tolerate their fights, influx of strangers and endless sleepover mates they regularly bring home

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Moh247: 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2023
cool

Na yahoo Dem go blame

Black man and stupidity......

1: A broke guy downloaded pics of sexy cute girls (impersonation)

2: went on social media to look for Hot wild slowpoke American

3: Simp from America rush in his DM and he ask them for geniune help

4: they pay through gift card, Bitcoin

5: Yahoo boy patronize local business, buys cars, rent house, build houses

32 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Yankiss(m): 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2023
There is inflation, yahoo yahoo apart. But the issue spiked the rent and other services including oloshoism. Yahoo guys are crashing relationships, destroying destinies, spiking insecurity. They are hailed everywhere with their blood money because we worship money - where it comes from is immaterial. The landlord that knowingly collects blood money is collecting doom.

35 Likes 10 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by nairalee(m): 5:58pm On Feb 05, 2023
Let me be blunt and tell u why

Most Nigerians are greedy opportunists. An average Nigerian is looking for an opportunity to rip you

I'm no longer surprised why our politicians are corrupt. They are just members of the society like you and I given a bigger platform

Look at this issue of new note. A POS agent charged me 1,500 for 5,000 just because he knew I had no option. Later they will say our leaders are corrupt

108 Likes 12 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by obinna58(m): 5:59pm On Feb 05, 2023
grin
It’s been long I’ve seen arrested yahoo boys on fp, what’s happening? Guys no Dey cash out again?

8 Likes

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by GoodHardDickk: 5:59pm On Feb 05, 2023
No be today e start na.

Yahoo boys no dey Price, once Dem enter boutique, any amount wey the seller tell them Dem go buy am ASAP. Meanwhile I don't support yahoo yahoo but Our politicans are the biggest thieves EFCC should go after them

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by yemzone(m): 5:59pm On Feb 05, 2023
No be today na and it's not only rent.

2 Likes

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Kaycee54321(m): 5:59pm On Feb 05, 2023
Hehehehe

Shebi na una dey dance 'Ole ni everybody'

Like someone said above, they won't beat any landlord that doesn't increase his/her rent...

4 Likes

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Generalwoodz(m): 5:59pm On Feb 05, 2023
They sounded as though G boys are 100 million out of 200 million total population of Nigeria.

Gee boys ain't the problem the problems are sellers hiking the price of a commodity after qualifying you by mere physical looks. The problem is the Nigerian people.

Someone up there already mentioned this. Check out what POS operators are presently doing. Making life super unbearable for fellow citizens.

Check out bank staff hiding currency for politicians.

The problem ain't Yahoo boys. Singling them out as the problem won't help.

Nigerians are "anti Nigerians".

"If it ain't widespread greed in the land why would you hike the price of a commodity just because you perceived I'm ostensibly rich?"

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by mactoni91(m): 6:00pm On Feb 05, 2023
I've been looking for a Decent 2 bed at 500k/annum in Ejigbo or Shasha/Egbeda and i never see.

Agents just collecting 3k from me with nothing to show.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Tayorshd2(m): 6:00pm On Feb 05, 2023
.las las everybody go later turn yahoo boys and for me I don't blaim any Nigerian that opted for ritual means of getting money as long as him no use human being because d situation is getting tougher every day

9 Likes

Re: How ‘yahoo Boys’ Influence Skyrocketing Rent In Cities by Bodetoms: 6:00pm On Feb 05, 2023
Everything cost

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Panic As Lagos Landlords Put Houses For Sale Over Red Rail Demolition / How To Avoid Paying The Dreaded Omonile Signing Fees Scam In Lagos And Ogun / Roofing Sheet Price List In Nigeria (2020 Vs 2024)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.