Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,797 members, 7,827,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests (63964 Views)

Naira Redesign: Bags Of Damaged Naira Notes Discovered (Video, Pictures) / Naira Redesign: Grains Prices Crash Days After Record Surge / Politicians With Billions In Cash Move Against Naira Redesign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by lexy2014: 4:12am On Feb 08, 2023
900warriorz:
the difference between the latter and the former is this change happened close to the most critical election that will determine Nigeria's future in some years to come.

how should that now result in people suffering and being unable to have access to their cash for daily sustenance?
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by lexy2014: 4:14am On Feb 08, 2023
SeniorMan715:
They were planning to sell it later to the politician thiefs

did you hatch the plan with them?
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by lexy2014: 4:21am On Feb 08, 2023
Blaze14k:
Banks are one of the problems we have in nigeria. If the federal government can put this same effort in every sector i believe nigeria will be a better place for u and i. But i must say i still dont trust buhari regardless of his effort. What did buhari, tambawal and bagudu really discuss at that meeting?

who will put in the same effort to check the FG?

a month to the cash policy dealine, emefiele bolted out of nigeria and stayed in London for about a month. why would a CBN governor go and hide in London after setting a deadline for something when he was supposed to be in the country to oversee the implementation of such a critical policy?

in his absence, his deputies met with legislators at the National Assembly. when asked how much new notes were printed to replace the old notes, the deputy governor said she didnt know. if the CBN was this unserious about its own policy, where was the success for the policy going to come from?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by bdon123(m): 4:38am On Feb 08, 2023
Officialgarri:
CBN is actually the primary problem while the commercial banks are problems we deal with because we interact with them the most.

There have been seamless transition of notes from old to new more than 4 times in this country and even up till the Goodluck Jonathan's major note transition..and there have never been such chaos such as this

Worse of it all is that they did not only fail at cash transition, they decided to invoke panic when it's less than a month to an important election.

The pope has a finger in the pie and we can see Emiefele's full regalia
M glad u said seamless redesign of currency has previously taken place.The only diff right now is APC politicians hav vowed to frustrate d policy as they are relying on stolen wealth to buy votes.
D only blame i hav wit CBN is not to forsee sabotage n making necessary arrangements wit efcc n icpc n DSS to arrest
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by SaLongs1(m): 4:39am On Feb 08, 2023
habsydiamond:
The politicians are not our problem in this situation.. it we the masses that are giving ourselves problems.. if the bankers can not follow a simply directive to give the money through atm to the masses... it shows that we all selfish if we are given the opportunity to be in the position of authority. The last time I check politicians no dey get vault for bank now.
I will always say this... Nigerians have a way to turn positive intentions from the government into pain for the masses despite our show of religious piety.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by professorPABX: 4:52am On Feb 08, 2023
chisomkachy:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0iBdZmekGHCkuC8SNG7JZphzq767uivQoiVAdiRpfqDjFHHc7CWeGeG6HnmqyC4o9l&id=100068873333950&mibextid=Nif5oz

ICPC this is very shameful of you. ICPC is now playing an ETHNIC CARD because yorubas are liberal. Despite the liberality of the Yorubas, other tribes that are fanatically self centred are taking Yorubas for granted.

1. On the 4th of February, ICPC said an Osun FCMB manager loaded ATM with cash bound with wrappers.

https://www.nairaland.com/7553745/icpc-arrests-osun-fcmb-manager/5#120632347

I complained that is it because FCMB belongs to Yorubas? Well known Banks with hundreds of branches are not paying. They are frustrating millions of their customers, you are talking about FCMB. Is Zenith Bank Branches at Osun State paying?

Now, ICPC picked another Bank (Sterling) belonging to Yorubas as major shareholders as culprit. Is Sterling Bank the reason Access Banks lock customers outside gate? Is Sterling Bank the reason Zenith Bank pays 2K to 5K in some branches?
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by lexy2014: 4:54am On Feb 08, 2023
Officialgarri:
CBN is actually the primary problem while the commercial banks are problems we deal with because we interact with them the most.

There have been seamless transition of notes from old to new more than 4 times in this country and even up till the Goodluck Jonathan's major note transition..and there have never been such chaos such as this

Worse of it all is that they did not only fail at cash transition, they decided to invoke panic when it's less than a month to an important election.

but this is what the APC and buhari that you have supported all these years has given to nigerians. am glad buhari has by himself convinced you that he has failed in this simple task much more than his predecessors
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by professorPABX: 4:56am On Feb 08, 2023
lexy2014:

but this is what the APC and buhari that you have supported all these years has given to nigerians. am glad buhari has by himself convinced you that he has failed in this simple task much more than his predecessors

ICPC, this is very shameful of you. ICPC is now playing an ETHNIC CARD because yorubas are liberal. Despite the liberality of the Yorubas, other tribes that are fanatically self centred are taking Yorubas for granted.

1. On the 4th of February, ICPC said an Osun FCMB manager loaded ATM with cash bound with wrappers.

I complained that is it because FCMB belongs to Yorubas? Well known Banks with hundreds of branches are not paying. They are frustrating millions of their customers, you are talking about FCMB. Is Zenith Bank Branches at Osun State paying?

Now, ICPC picked another Bank (Sterling) belonging to Yorubas as major shareholders as culprit. Is Sterling Bank the reason Access Banks lock customers outside gate? Is Sterling Bank the reason Zenith Bank pays 2K to 5K in some branches?
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by professorPABX: 5:05am On Feb 08, 2023
lexy2014:

Emefiele left Zenith Bank as MD. Emefiele is Jim Ovia most trusted aid.

Zenith Bank refused to pay new notes. Is it FCMB or Sterlin Bank that is collecting Money allocated by Emefiele to his Zenith Bank?

Zenith Bank has more Branches than FCMB and Sterling Bank and is allocated more money than these Banks yet pay little or nothing in most of their branches nationwide. Where is the huge money allocated to Zenith Bank? Where is Okowa?
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by Ebuscoee(m): 5:06am On Feb 08, 2023
You don't follow up on news at all. It's very obvious you are APC sympathetic.
Officialgarri:

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by Donedeal1(m): 5:14am On Feb 08, 2023
Clueless redefined.
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by Illegal1(m): 5:19am On Feb 08, 2023
There is God
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by coldFLARES1(m): 5:25am On Feb 08, 2023
virginboy1:
I just hope this is not a propaganda against sterling Bank.
CBN is just trying to make it seems as if it's the banks that don't want to give out the new notes. When in facts it is CBN that is not giving banks enough money that will go round to its customers... Make dem just kill pride say dem no get the redesign notes to go round... undecided

You gave a bank In a particular region(Lagos) like 100m-150m in a week, how will that be enough for its branches and customers. undecided

You stoped old notes and brought in redesign notes when you don't have enough to go round..
CBN just dey use Nigerians catch cruise....
Here's someone who sees it fairly clearly!

In all of these chaos, the CBN has has come out to tell us how much has been mopped up and what volume of cash has been released in comparison. We need that data to know the ratio. You can't actually draw a volume out of a system and expect say 20% replacement to make things normalise.

Things are really very bad on the streets and would get worse with a brutal reaction from citizens if this opacity is continued.

While,I'd commend the ICPC for its small efforts, it should just go take a rest and seek answers to the vital questions first so we know where to apportion the greater blame.

No way you'd tell me to put the bulk of the blame on a branch where #5m is hidden whereas the CBN may have, hypothetically, printed 300bn after mopping up say2.3trn.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by Berankis: 5:26am On Feb 08, 2023
Officialgarri:

Thank you so much! This is actually my reasoning. They are now trying to turn the table against the commercial banks, making them look like the saboteurs, whereas, they setup the whole confusion and choas which I believe is largely political.
1. Even with the discoveries of undistributed/hoarded ccash in the commercial banks,I still believe the CBN hasn't released/distributed enough cash to go round.
2. The timeline is too sudden to retrieve all the old naira notes and distribute the new ones, hence the panic.
I still have old notes with me that I didn't deposit, that is what I have been living on and still not sure if it's going to expire or not by 10th.
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by AngelicBeing: 5:29am On Feb 08, 2023
modath:

Oba nor dey go transfer... commitment "ear and dear"... cheesy
Business and family but we do pop in to see what's up from time to time.. smiley

Excellent, glad to hear that you are doing well, lol at commitment ear and dear, una go kill person with laugh for nairaland.com, Have a Nice day Modath the Strong and iron lady of Nairaland.com politics section tongue

1 Like

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by lagosrd: 5:31am On Feb 08, 2023
Officialgarri:

CBN has no issue and no fault. Let's be sincere. The commercial banks are something else. They are bunch of rougues in shirt and tie. They get soft loan from the CBN and split it into 3 to make 90% interest per anuum. Is that CBN faults to.

Where do people who sell money in parties see them, do they buy from CBN too.

Why is it always difficult to get your money out most times by month end ? Is that CBN too?

Why keep the money that was given to you by CBN, is that the apex bank fault to?

It equally means the money has been given out to them and they are waiting for their political ogas who are assuring them that nothing will happen against the wishes if the masses.

They deduct all manners of charges from your account until the account hits zero , card maintenance, monthly charges, 3alerts on a single transaction, network issues , yet you want to blame the CBN. I mean it's a no no.

If they had distributed the money, there wouldn't have been any destruction of properties and break down of law and order.

When you are saving your money, they smile but to get it out, it's usually a serious wahala. They should be held accountable for their actions. And let's leave Emiefele alone, let's leave CBN alone.

The commercial banks have over 3 months to have upgraded their IT infrastructures but they didn't , they are making money like armed tobbers and yet refuse to spend same money on the IT guys who are leaving in their drooves.

1 Like

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by Nobody: 5:36am On Feb 08, 2023
BAZ001:
Imagine just 250 million naira at the head office in Abuja ?
250 million is not even enough for 1 branch of sterling in Lagos island for 1 week.
Thought it was billions
Oga, how much you yourself you de withdraw in a year.. no lie..
De speak for yourself abeg!
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by lexy2014: 5:40am On Feb 08, 2023
professorPABX:

Emefiele left Zenith Bank as MD. Emefiele is Jim Ovia most trusted aid.

Zenith Bank refused to pay new notes. Is it FCMB or Sterlin Bank that is collecting Money allocated by Emefiele to his Zenith Bank?

Zenith Bank has more Branches than FCMB and Sterling Bank and is allocated more money than these Banks yet pay little or nothing in most of their branches nationwide. Where is the huge money allocated to Zenith Bank? Where is Okowa?

I don't follow. Is this for me or someone else?
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by lexy2014: 5:42am On Feb 08, 2023
professorPABX:

ICPC, this is very shameful of you. ICPC is now playing an ETHNIC CARD because yorubas are liberal. Despite the liberality of the Yorubas, other tribes that are fanatically self centred are taking Yorubas for granted.

What has this got to do with my post?
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by coldFLARES1(m): 6:02am On Feb 08, 2023
FireUpNow:
Oga na sterling bank nah. Read the first paragraph abeg you well well. Las las na to sell the new naira notes to pos operators go end am. Wicked people
e get the way una dey look this thing wey e no clear.

Sell to POS operators bi ti bawo? How much is to be made from such base transaction? The patron that offers the bigger kickback is that man that has a vault with ill-gotten funds who'd be ready to part with a fair percentage of his accumulations so as to get the new notes without documentation.

And the problem with that is that, he goes back to store his new notes thus constricting the supply of the new notes and causing the dislocations we're witnessing currently.

Oh, you think those terrorist mocking the CBN governor about being in possession of vast sums of the redesigned notes exchanged it at the bank/CBN after proper documentation?

Dey there dey jonz!

For me, I know the proper backlash would get to them when they'd tell the frustrated poor to lose their paltry sums after they messed up a process that's not as difficult as quadratic equation.
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by izubext007: 6:07am On Feb 08, 2023
The power of jagaban
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by mikeapollo: 6:09am On Feb 08, 2023
chisomkachy:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0iBdZmekGHCkuC8SNG7JZphzq767uivQoiVAdiRpfqDjFHHc7CWeGeG6HnmqyC4o9l&id=100068873333950&mibextid=Nif5oz

N258m cash in the headquarters of a bank is nothing to make headlinea about!
That money is too small for even just 1000 customers
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by HardMirror(m): 6:11am On Feb 08, 2023
NoToPile:
My own question is are banks not supposed to have cash in their vaults anymore? I am talking about new notes, are they supposed to give all their currency to customers?
yes. Banks are not supposed to hoard money. Their job is to hold the money for you and when you want to withdraw, they make it available. But in this case they have custommers that want to withdraw and they are refusing to give the money. By the way 250million is too small for sterling bank head office. Cbn should do better.
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by Nobody: 6:19am On Feb 08, 2023
HORLADY:
Even Small Sterling!!!!
The end shall never wonder
I tire, if small sterling can do this I wonder what big Haaland will do.
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by jaytee01(m): 6:29am On Feb 08, 2023
bonechamberlain:
Arrest and jail those criminals angry Most banks have the money but sell to their cronies, the rich, influential and highest bidders. Then the remnant is distributed to the masses.

These bank are engaged in economic sabotage, it should be classified as terrorism.

I won't be surprised if BAt APC faction are also doing all they can to ensure that mobile banking also fails. To put more pressure on Buhari to reverse the policy.

The kind of money these guys have stolen can disrupt and destabilise the economies of the whole of Africa. They can use their stolen wealth to always have their way. This is why Nigeria must go cashless, it would reduce crime to an extent. Buhari must remain steadfast with the policy. angry

CBN needs to start showing those arrested on national TV and ensure they sit on the ground like criminals while being interviewed. angry

1 Like

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by Livingstone124: 6:34am On Feb 08, 2023
bonechamberlain:
Arrest and jail those criminals angry Most banks have the money but sell to their cronies, the rich, influential and highest bidders. Then the remnant is distributed to the masses.

These bank are engaged in economic sabotage, it should be classified as terrorism.

I won't be surprised if BAt APC faction are also doing all they can to ensure that mobile banking also fails. To put more pressure on Buhari to reverse the policy.

The kind of money these guys have stolen can disrupt and destabilise the economies of the whole of Africa. They can use their stolen wealth to always have their way. This is why Nigeria must go cashless, it would reduce crime to an extent. Buhari must remain steadfast with the policy. angry

CBN needs to start showing those arrested on national TV and ensure they sit on the ground like criminals while being interviewed. angry
JESUSUU

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by cuteboy2: 6:34am On Feb 08, 2023
Everything Buhari touches turns to dust.
I doubt the man knows how to wipe his ass after poo poo 💩

Officialgarri:

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by mading951: 6:40am On Feb 08, 2023
lordm:
Which bank?
There is no mark or name poster you can see at BenefitsCal
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by doneback04: 6:41am On Feb 08, 2023
lordm:
Which bank?

Bala Blu bank of Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by zedegit: 6:42am On Feb 08, 2023
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by zedegit: 6:44am On Feb 08, 2023
HORLADY:
Even Small Sterling!!!!
The end shall never wonder

Imagine how much first bank, zenith Bank and others have in their vaults.
Re: Naira Redesign: ICPC Busts Sterling Bank, Discovers N258m, Makes Arrests by Blaze14k: 6:51am On Feb 08, 2023
lexy2014:

who will put in the same effort to check the FG?

a month to the cash policy dealine, emefiele bolted out of nigeria and stayed in London for about a month. why would a CBN governor go and hide in London after setting a deadline for something when he was supposed to be in the country to oversee the implementation of such a critical policy?

in his absence, his deputies met with legislators at the National Assembly. when asked how much new notes were printed to replace the old notes, the deputy governor said she didnt know. if the CBN was this unserious about its own policy, where was the success for the policy going to come from?

Emefiele was threatened with dss arrest that was why he didnt come back and i believe he phoned the president based on the arrest. Its now clear that tinubu's camp were the people who wants emefiele arrested. From my point of view i think buhari has betrayed tinubu cos he wont let him rig the election to his favour. Lets see how it plays out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Graduate Of ABU, Zaria Selling Kunu / 25 Most Expensive World Currencies In 2019 / Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.