Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far (1001 Views)

My Job Hunting Experiences As A Junior Developer So Far / Computer Science ..... The Worst Course To Study In Nigeria? / Key Thing I've Seen About Developers On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by majesticguy: 7:06pm On Feb 09, 2023
For a financial institution as big as this, and considering their position and the amount of monies they make, I expected way better.

Navigating through the links is one heck of an Herculean task. How is it that everything is all on desktop view. Unless this is a bug or something, then it's quite understandable otherwise this is very bad.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by IslamIsIdiotic: 7:14pm On Feb 09, 2023
What were you expecting?🤣 99% of Nigerian government websites are garbage. The only one I've seen that is a bit good is that of CAC (Corporate Affairs Commission)

majesticguy:
For a financial institution as big as this, and considering their position and the amount of monies they make, I expected way better.

Navigating through the links is one heck of an Herculean task. How is it that everything is all on desktop view. Unless this is a bug or something, then it's quite understandable otherwise this is very bad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by majesticguy: 7:32pm On Feb 09, 2023
IslamIsIdiotic:
What were you expecting?🤣 99% of Nigerian government websites are garbage. The only one I've seen that is a bit good is that of CAC (Corporate Affairs Commission)

Honestly it just beats my imagination that after the delivery of the site by the programmer to the Oga at the top, he actually went through the mobile view and veted the website perfect. Constant visit to this website is sure to cause irreparable damage to ones sight.
Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by CodeTemplar: 7:54pm On Feb 09, 2023
Lol. . . That's Nigeria for you. What is lacking isn't always what is hard to come by but man-know-man based patronage system has eaten so deep.
A simple CSS reset, some nice alignments, and normal HTML tags should look better to the eye.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by Edipet(m): 8:00pm On Feb 09, 2023
If I can reach this level , I will call myself a developer

2 Likes

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by DissTroy(m): 8:08pm On Feb 09, 2023
majesticguy:

Asides the fact that it's unresponsive, the colour scheme is poor too. Very poor.

White and different shades of green are great for any UI (I've done several of such) and would have been very attractive if it was properly utilised.
And the fact that a naira swap countdown timer was out on it means there is a dedicated web developer who should know better but they don't care.

Just #6 million allocated for the website would get all aspects of the frontend functional. All.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by majesticguy: 8:17pm On Feb 09, 2023
Edipet:
If I can reach this level , I will call myself a developer

Lolz are you serious? This has mediocrity written all over it. Please my brother strive to do better than this, this isn't it Biko.

Not to blow my trumpet, but I can make this under a few hours, there's nothing really special about the website. Asides that countdown timer which I believe was recently added to the site, I doubt if it even has JavaScript.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by majesticguy: 8:22pm On Feb 09, 2023
DissTroy:

And the fact that a naira swap countdown timer was out on it means there is a dedicated web developer who should know better but they don't care.

Why would they care, no be government job. My beef is with the Ogas at the top who veted the website as ok. Is it that they don't know what orderliness looks like? or perhaps they are color blind or something.
Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by majesticguy: 8:39pm On Feb 09, 2023
CodeTemplar:
Lol. . . That's Nigeria for you. What is lacking isn't always what hard is to come by but man-know-man based patronage system has eaten so deep.
A simple CSS reset, some nice alignments, and normal HTML tags should look better to the eye.

So so true.
Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:53pm On Feb 09, 2023
That's naija for you and you would be surprised how much money is used to maintain such sites. Softcom one of the companies that do maintain and build government sites were able to send all their staff to dubai for holidays.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by DepressedLoser: 11:37pm On Feb 09, 2023
tensazangetsu20:
That's naija for you and you would be surprised how much money is used to maintain such sites. Softcom one of the companies that do maintain and build government sites were able to send all their staff to dubai for holidays.
lolz
Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by Nobody: 1:55am On Feb 10, 2023
This type of site's priorities speed and security over anything else.... The backend should be beautiful.

They don't give 2fucks about frontend.

As long as it's safe, fast and secured.

2 Likes

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by stanliwise(m): 6:55am On Feb 10, 2023
majesticguy:

Well they didn’t build it properly. They could have outsourced it to a tech firm to do for them but they didn’t
Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by DissTroy(m): 7:14am On Feb 10, 2023
majesticguy:

Why would they care, no be government job. My beef is with the Ogas at the top who veted the website as ok. Is it that they don't know what orderliness looks like? or perhaps they are color blind or something.

You'd be surprised the "ogas" aren't tech-savvy. And when they are shown in their offices, it's on a wide-screen whoch makes the website look a little bit good.

The people who give the stamp of approval are old and out of touch with digital tech realities.

Someone close to me got into the Ministry of Science and Technology. It's tails and tails of how most don't know how to use a computer and the decision-makers know little about the practicality of science and tech. Just textbook smart people.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by truthCoder: 7:17am On Feb 10, 2023
GREATIGBOMAN:
This type of site's priorities speed and security over anything else.... The backend should be beautiful.

Don’t assume the backend is secure.

It is very easy to deface many of these sites
Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by truthCoder: 7:21am On Feb 10, 2023
There is a government agency in Nigeria that has an in-house hosted backend with a very weak inverter battery.

Once PHCN takes light on weekends, the site would be down till Monday.

It happens every weekend or public holiday.

2 Likes

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by DissTroy(m): 7:24am On Feb 10, 2023
GREATIGBOMAN:

You can have speed, security and good UI/UX.

Bank of England (BOE) https://www.bankofengland.co.uk is faster than CBN cbn.gov.ng, yet BOE website has good UI/UX and I'm sure it's more secure since the CBN website was decently intruded while we've heard none of such about BOE.

Good frontend is what keeps most users long enough to appreciate the work put into the backend (functionalities).
Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by JoyousFurnitire(m): 9:06am On Feb 10, 2023
Not sure, but I think there's a reason behind them keeping it that way. The're building for different generations not just Z and millennials.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by GeoAfrikana(m): 10:34am On Feb 10, 2023
majesticguy:

Please tell me this is a snapshot of the 1995 version of the website?
Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by GeoAfrikana(m): 10:35am On Feb 10, 2023
JoyousFurnitire:
Not sure, but I think there's a reason behind them keeping it that way. The're building for different generations not just Z and millennials.

Bro, stop defending what isn't.

Mobile friendliness is for everyone. It's even the elders that need a modern website most. A neat modern website doesn't have to be glossy and glamorous. It needs to be easily accessible to even people of special needs. Tell me, how can a man or woman of 60 years with weak eyesight read the tiny texts on that website?

This is mediocrity in a picture.

1 Like

Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by Maxxim: 9:18pm On Feb 13, 2023
I did my IT at Lasura even as their site was built on wordpress it's still the worst I've ever seen
Re: One Of The Worst Websites I've Seen So Far by kpakodev: 12:38pm On Feb 14, 2023
To me one of the worst website I have seen is Nairaland, no offense.

Nairaland is quirk mode, the whole website is made up of table(only God knows how quirky the backend go be)

(1) (Reply)

QA Automation Tester Needed For A Job 400k Monthly Salary / Kindly Help / Programming An Ivr Application Made Easy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.