Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina (30305 Views)

Protesters shut Benin’s CBN branch over Naira Scarcity / Femi Adesina: My Daughter Almost Cried When She Read About Me On Social Media / FFK Reacts To Femi Adesina "Giving Land For Ranching Is Better Than Death" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Omooba77: 8:51am On Feb 10, 2023
The Special Adviser Media and Publicity to President Muhammdu Buhari, Femi Adesina has revealed how he has been surviving admist scarcity of new naira notes in the country.

Adesina who in his article titled: “Living on shoestring budget”, published on Thursday noted that he has been spending the sum of twenty thousand naira, (N20,000) for one week.

He advised Nigerians who attack banks, loot shops, and engage in civil disobedience to desist forthwith.

Adesina told Nigerians not to take laws into their hands, noting that with time naira will be surplus in the country.

Bellow is the article:

LIVING ON SHOESTRING BUDGET

“We left Abuja on January 23, on a journey that would take us to Bauchi, Lagos, Senegal, Katsina, Kano, and Jigawa States. Return date was January 31, in the evening hours.

Since January 31 was then the terminal date for key denominations of the naira to be legal tender, I didn’t want to be like the unwise cripple, who had been told that war was approaching, but who stayed put in the same spot. So I parked everything I had, every dime, and sent it to the bank. I didn’t want my modest funds to become something fit only for the museum.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) later secured a ten days extension of the deadline from President Muhammadu Buhari, which has now been further extended by a Supreme Court ruling. But it has not changed the fact that I’ve been spending the sum of N20,000 for one week, and I’m still spending it. Shoestring budget? Yes, you are right. That’s what it is.

Major part of our Duty Tour Allowance (DTA) had been paid in old currency, so I’d deposited it in my bank right in Katsina. I returned to Abuja, almost in tabula rasa. Empty. I thought it was just a matter of going to my bank, and getting new currency notes. Whosai! Too optimistic.

For three days, I operated with just the N6,000 I had in my pocket. By Friday, it had shrunk to N2, 500.00. What a huge war chest!

You, a Special Adviser to President of the most populous country in Africa! Are you for real? Just N2,500.00? Well, those in government itch as well, and scratch as hard. That is what some people don’t know. The hen sweats, but its feathers make the sweat indiscernible. There was I, on a Friday, worth only N2, 500.00 in new notes, both home and abroad.

I called my banker, told him my plight, and he first laughed as if laughter was going out of fashion. After seeing that I was serious, he said the best he could do was get N20,000.00 for me, through the Automated Teller Machine (ATM), which was his own entitlement for the day. Well, beggars can’t be choosers, and half bread, as they say, is better than none. I sent my driver to collect the money, and promptly cancelled all the engagements I had lined up for the weekend. When you stay in your house, watching football and making yourself happy, you need not spend much money, if at all.

But the first challenge had to be confronted. The car tank was almost at empty. It would take about N15,000.00 to fill it up. What to do? Buy N8,000.00 worth of fuel, which gave a half tank. We are making progress. And the remaining N12,000.00, one held in a tight fist. Not even an ant could touch it.

Fortunately, my dear late mother was an Ijebu woman. And people from Ijebu are said to be thrifty, and know how to operate on shoestring budgets. I had part of that blood running through my veins.

From Friday till the following Wednesday, I became very gentle, (by force) stretching N12,000.00 as far as I could. Fortunately, there was enough food at home. If there wasn’t, I would drink garri and groundnuts. And why not? That was what the times called for. Pragmatism. No pain, no gain. It was my own contribution to the success of a policy that was bound to do our country good.

I never got any naira inflow in the new week, as my bank had even locked its doors. Firmly. I got there on Tuesday, and only saw forlorn faces of customers, who had doggoed at the place, like the Ijesa man who refuses to take a seat when he comes to collect the money you are owing him. He crouches, and tells you: ‘I sold my wares to you on credit, bending down. I will stool down till I collect my money today.’ And you would do well to answer him, if you love yourself.

Even bank transfers were not going, as the system was jammed. And if you succeeded in sending, how would the recipient retrieve the money, as there was paucity of the new notes. But was there, really? We heard incredible stories of how some banks were hoarding the new notes, while their customers suffered. A bank manager was even arrested in Abuja for having N238 million in his strong room, and refusing to pay out. Others loaded cash in ATM, and deliberately didn’t remove the wrappers, so that the cash won’t dispense. Holy Moses! Nigerians are the enemies of Nigeria.

President Buhari, at a meeting

But the first challenge had to be confronted. The car tank was almost at empty. It would take about N15,000.00 to fill it up. What to do? Buy N8,000.00 worth of fuel, which gave a half tank. We are making progress. And the remaining N12,000.00, one held in a tight fist. Not even an ant could touch it.

Fortunately, my dear late mother was an Ijebu woman. And people from Ijebu are said to be thrifty, and know how to operate on shoestring budgets. I had part of that blood running through my veins.

From Friday till the following Wednesday, I became very gentle, (by force) stretching N12,000.00 as far as I could. Fortunately, there was enough food at home. If there wasn’t, I would drink garri and groundnuts. And why not? That was what the times called for. Pragmatism. No pain, no gain. It was my own contribution to the success of a policy that was bound to do our country good.

I never got any naira inflow in the new week, as my bank had even locked its doors. Firmly. I got there on Tuesday, and only saw forlorn faces of customers, who had doggoed at the place, like the Ijesa man who refuses to take a seat when he comes to collect the money you are owing him. He crouches, and tells you: ‘I sold my wares to you on credit, bending down. I will stool down till I collect my money today.’ And you would do well to answer him, if you love yourself.

Even bank transfers were not going, as the system was jammed. And if you succeeded in sending, how would the recipient retrieve the money, as there was paucity of the new notes. But was there, really? We heard incredible stories of how some banks were hoarding the new notes, while their customers suffered. A bank manager was even arrested in Abuja for having N238 million in his strong room, and refusing to pay out. Others loaded cash in ATM, and deliberately didn’t remove the wrappers, so that the cash won’t dispense. Holy Moses! Nigerians are the enemies of Nigeria.

President Buhari, at a meeting with some Governors of his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) had asked for the balance seven days of the 10, which the CBN had asked for, promising that something concrete would be done to alleviate the suffering of Nigerians after the period. I believe in the President. Implicitly. So I was willing to wait.

By Wednesday morning, my fuel was running dangerously low again. Well, if it meant trekking to the office, I would, till succor came. Then my driver came in, as I sat in the living room, listening to news on TV. Idris, who has chauffeured me for almost eight years handed me some crisp notes. N10,000.00. New currency. It felt like ten million.

“My wife got some new notes, and I got this from her. You can use it, and pay me back when you get money,” he said. How touching. Moving. I first divided the money into two, and told him to buy N5,000.00 fuel. Me too, I would ‘buga’ with the remaining amount. And that is what I’m still spending as I write this piece on Thursday morning.

Some people have taken the laws into their hands, because of lack of access to the new notes. They have attacked banks, looted shops, and engaged in civil disobedience. No need. The ravening clouds shall not long be victorious, they shall no longer possess the sky. Cash is coming, more than we need, and our national economy, the political process, and our lives generally, shall be the better for it. Just a little while, and the halcyon days will come. But for now, no pain, no gain. We will surely get there.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/02/naira-scarcity-ive-been-spending-n20000-for-one-week-femi-adesina/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by PrincessofDSS(f): 8:52am On Feb 10, 2023
Bloody thieving thief

241 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by CyynthiaKiss(f): 8:52am On Feb 10, 2023
APC is in power and they are the cause of all the crisis Nigerians are facing ...

Sane Nigerians will never vote APC again

167 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Wiseandtrue(f): 8:53am On Feb 10, 2023
Omooba77:

Adesina who in his article titled: “Living on shoestring budget”, published on Thursday noted that he has been spending the sum of twenty thousand naira, (N20,000) for one week.
grin grin grin why won't you spend N20,000 for a year undecided grin

Nigeria pays for everything you are using

You ingrate, this is how you choose to repay us by being selfish and senseless

You stay in your office typing rubbish, come to the field, come to the street and understand the pains people are going through

Idiat!

261 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by PrincessofDSS(f): 8:54am On Feb 10, 2023
Again, I said he’s a bloody thief

94 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Helpfromabove1(m): 8:58am On Feb 10, 2023
Will you keep quiet

104 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by booblacain(m): 9:03am On Feb 10, 2023
I laugh twice.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by nedu666: 9:05am On Feb 10, 2023
Lamba of d highest proportion

45 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by aylive02(m): 9:15am On Feb 10, 2023
grin

Another irredeemable urchin from Aso Rock. If you are an urchin, nothing good can come from you. If you are an urchin, quote me.

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by muyico(m): 9:23am On Feb 10, 2023
Lai muhammed done teach dis1 liars too! Fully trained by lai muhammed

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by omowolewa: 9:26am On Feb 10, 2023
Like you even buy anything yourself!

Official shopping, official services and official everything?

Nigerian pay through their nose to get you fat and you even fart on them.

Just mocking and insulting Nigerians the more

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Mandate2023: 9:34am On Feb 10, 2023
The idiot that uses free fuel, food, electricity, healthcare and his not having paying staff from his pocket said he bought fuel of 8k😂😂😂 someone that uses export.....20k that cannot last a family man 3days, u buy fuel of 8k for that 3days....b4 u drop feeding allowance, money has finished not to mention other family needs

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by adekolaelect(m): 9:34am On Feb 10, 2023
Stupidity will make you compare yourself with Nigerians. What do you use your money buy before Free fuel, free food, Free cost of living Even Oloso from India na free If you dey do , condom free , clothing free. Oga You get influences you get everything.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Derick1122: 9:38am On Feb 10, 2023
I accept the policy sir. I believed that after election, there would be inflow of cash.

1 Like

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by RenaissanceGuy: 10:02am On Feb 10, 2023
Even Buhari himself has been affected by this policy. There has been no supply of fura de nono in Aso Rock for the 11 days. The supplier refused to be paid through bank transfer.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by 2paid2Bmad: 10:08am On Feb 10, 2023
Epistle to the agbadorians…

Femi likes to portray himself as an intelligent man but everytime he puts out useless, long and vague statements like this, his intellectual capacity is laid bare.

Everything in this article is as vague and dry as the hair on Buhari’s head.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Adeolaeniola(m): 10:09am On Feb 10, 2023
Oga Adesina, consider those living in rural areas, they trade based on cash and not on mobile money, let the redesigned currencies circulate first... The time limit is too small

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Lanretoye(m): 10:21am On Feb 10, 2023
See madness.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Iamfrank(m): 10:23am On Feb 10, 2023
One funny thing about this campaign is that the politicians didn't go to the rural areas to show how humble they are by buying akara by d roadside or entering okada's etc.. (I think it's old fashion).. I think they know the people are wiser now... Please I urge my fellow Nigerians, let's not sell our votes, so that vote buying will also be a thing of the past... Let's show them the power really belongs to the people.. Tribalism and regional politics has taken us nowhere, we are all suffering together...
Vote wisely.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by slivertongue: 10:26am On Feb 10, 2023
That's too much nah! All you folks in the Villa are on freebies

5 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by olisaEze(m): 10:27am On Feb 10, 2023
This man lies so effortlessly even Liar Mohammed is in shock! grin

16 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by KingEarnest(m): 10:28am On Feb 10, 2023
So after 8 years some people want to still vote APC into power again? Suffer no dey tire una

12 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by yesloaded: 10:29am On Feb 10, 2023
Lies from the pit of hell

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Betterhalf2(f): 10:29am On Feb 10, 2023
He is claiming to feel the heat too.

3 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by OriOko88(m): 10:34am On Feb 10, 2023
Egbon femi tio gbadun.

I kuku know your family house for ipetumodu in osun state. We go catch. Hands go touch u ajee.

11 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by MadamExcellency: 10:49am On Feb 10, 2023
He has no family and children that need daily basic need items.

If I tell him how much my grown boys collect for pocket money each day, he will be ashamed of himself.

13 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Nobody: 11:21am On Feb 10, 2023
Insensitive

2 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by EmekaMD(m): 11:21am On Feb 10, 2023
20k naira or dollars?

ndi uchu...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Indelibleage: 11:22am On Feb 10, 2023
Hey!

All this long epistle to convince the entire populace that things are hard with you people in the villa..! Tah!

When sinners are being punished, the righteous has to be included is the gospel you're preaching here.

With this level of hardship your government has put the people and you get this same people in mind, what's expected of your administration is to look for a way to find succor to them.

Asking how? When you wanted us to know that the deadline was 31st of January to phase out the old currency, where did the CBN get our phone numbers from? For as much as you have us in your database, do the needful. Don't come and be preaching angry people should not take laws into their hands (although I'm not in anyway in support of such act). Do something. You have access to Oga at anytime he needs you.

Besides, what have you been doing with those estacodes you people collect?

It's better you keep your mouth on low key for the remaining time you have in the Villa, else..

4 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by stainzvill(m): 11:22am On Feb 10, 2023
Who cares? Probably maltina undecided

2 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Houseontherock1: 11:23am On Feb 10, 2023
Here is a man living 100% on the government from the water he drinks to the fuel he uses lying shamelessly! With food in my house and fuel in my car, I spend more than 20k in a week and I'm just an ordinary Nigerian! Recharge cards, fuel for generator, soup (even if you have all the raw stuff, you need fresh peppers and vegetables), occasional snacks for the kids, miscellaneous stuff.

10 Likes

Re: Naira Scarcity: I’ve Been Spending N20,000 For One Week – Femi Adesina by Dogalmighty17: 11:23am On Feb 10, 2023
Mumu man! Femi i say you are a mumu man! Liar! You claim you couldn't get 10k but your drivers wife could get and he gave you the money. Oga if you are stupid, the rest of us are not. How dare you try this nonsense by insulting our collective sensibilities.
You are the son of a mumu man.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Pilot Who Died In The Bama Helicopter Crash / Kingsley And Maryanne Moghalu Celebrate 26th Wedding Anniversary With Photos / Yusuf Buhari Wedding: Reno Omokri Berates Nigerians Over 100 Private Jets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.