Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,209 members, 7,953,774 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:41 AM

Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports (7910 Views)

Alcohol Consumers In Akwa-Ibom To Pay Taxes / Akwa Ibom To Start A Coconut Factory, Udom Signs Agreement (Photo) / Ibaka Seaport In Akwa Ibom To Start Operations In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by OAM4J: 4:29am On Sep 10, 2011
[size=13pt]Lagos, Ogun, A’Ibom to Get Four Deep Seaports[/size]

By Francis Ugwoke

As part of the efforts to boost operations in the nation’s seaports, the Federal Government    plans  the development of green fields with the construction of  four deep sea ports.

The states where the seaports will be developed  include Lagos,  which will get two seaports,   Akwa Ibom  and Ogun.

Minister of Transport, Senator  Idris Umar   who disclosed this in Abuja at a press briefing   said that  two deep seaports will be built at Lekki    and Badagry  in Lagos.

The other seaport  will be constructed at  Ondo/Ogun, while the fourth will  be at   Ibaka in Akwa Ibom  state.

It would be recalled that  the Managing Director of NPA, Engr Suleiman Omar had said that the  Lekki  deep seaport project will commence early next  year, while that of  Akwa-Ibom will  follow.

The take-off  date of the  other deep seaports was not disclosed.

However,, the Minister said  that the  ports terminals have been concessioned to both  indigenous and foreign private terminal  operators  to improve efficiency, decrease cost of operation and accelerate development of the seaports.

He said that this will go a long way to situate   Nigeria as a hub for international freight and trade in West and Central Africa.

Umar said that the Transport Ministry   was  determined to  attain the  vision 20:20:20 objectives  by evolving a world class transportation system in Nigeria  and to reposition the country as a hub in West and Central Africa.

He said that his mandate was to formulate and implement government policies for effective and efficient transport system in the country, as well as set guidelines on transportation for stakeholders, among others.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-ogun-a-ibom-to-get-four-deep-seaports/98159/
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by aljharem3: 4:37am On Sep 10, 2011
Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Umar who disclosed this in Abuja at a press briefing said that two deep seaports will be built at Lekki and Badagry in Lagos.

The other seaport will be constructed at Ondo/Ogun, while the fourth will be at Ibaka in Akwa Ibom state.

It would be recalled that the Managing Director of NPA, Engr Suleiman Omar had said that the Lekki deep seaport project will commence early next year, while that of Akwa-Ibom will follow.

thus giving lagos 3 sea port apapa, lekki and badagry

how silly is that undecided

1. i would not even consider apapa seaport to be one of the busiest seaport in africa thus why put 2 more in the state

2. what is the viability of this badagry and lekki seaport

3. this so call badagry and lekki seaport, is it for the FG or for the State given that apapa is for Fg
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by ektbear: 4:38am On Sep 10, 2011
Good news for Lagos, Ogun/Ondo (I think the port is for both states?) Akwa Ibom and Nigeria as a whole.

Akwa Ibom appears to be the next rising giant in Nigeria though, no?

Hmm. . . maybe it is time to start building connections to that state  smiley
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by aljharem3: 4:39am On Sep 10, 2011
ekt_bear:

Good news for Lagos, Ogun/Ondo (I think the port is for both states?) Akwa Ibom and Nigeria as a whole.

Akwa Ibom appears to be the next rising giant in Nigeria though, no?

Hmm. . . maybe it is time to start building connections to that state  smiley

yeah but i still give it to rivers state which makes more sense in terms on seaports
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by ektbear: 4:41am On Sep 10, 2011
alj_harem:

yeah but i still give it to rivers state which makes more sense in terms on seaports

I doubt much if any federal money is going into building the port. Just their approval is what is needed. Likely will be private money actually doing the work.

So it doesn't really matter if it "makes more sense" to you or I, it is what private money believes will be profitable for them.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by ektbear: 4:42am On Sep 10, 2011
With all that said, as with all things federal, let's not hold our breath waiting for it to happen smiley

I'd rather be hearing "4 deep seaports completed". . .
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by efisher(m): 4:49am On Sep 10, 2011
@ekt, Exactly. "Completed" that's the word.
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by GAR3TH(m): 5:09am On Sep 10, 2011
alj_harem:

Actually River state already has 2 major sea port. Port harcourt sea port and onne seaport which is near completion.

I know the lekki seaport is for the lekki free trade zone and the ogun sea port is for the ok free trade zone.

but this is the first time i'm hearing one for badagry?
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by owobokiri(m): 5:30am On Sep 10, 2011
To decongest Lagos, biuld more sea ports elsewhere and improve power supply elsewhere. Ports activities draw a great deal of human traffic to Lagos on daily basis and in a big country like Nigeria with such a vast coastline, concentrating port facilities in Lagos is criminal. Calabar, PH, Oron and other inland ports should be developed. No need for a new port in Lagos when the people there are crying about congestion while house rents soars as a result. Biuld the new ports elsewhere and let the ports compete on equal footing.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by nasoeb: 5:35am On Sep 10, 2011
Is Patients Ozokwor the Special Adviser to this Administration?

Why the TALK-TALK-TALK Everytime

even patient sef dey carry actions
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by OAM4J: 5:38am On Sep 10, 2011
nasoeb:

Is Patients Ozokwor the Special Adviser to this Administration?

Why the TALK-TALK-TALK Everytime

even patient sef dey carry actions

grin grin grin
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by saintohia: 6:38am On Sep 10, 2011
I hope this guy is thinking, b4 u give Lagos more two deep sea ports a state like Rivers need one. In fact if the guy is thinking, there should be a completed sea port in Onitsha (Anambra state) & Akwa Ibom b4 he start thinking of giving Lagos one more not 2 talk of two. I'm not from any of those state
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by saintohia: 6:54am On Sep 10, 2011
I remember Rivers already has deep sea port, hence give the new four sea ports to other states that doesn't have any not Lagos, this wld decongest Lagos & encourage development in other states.
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by jason123: 6:58am On Sep 10, 2011
Haba!! Why give Lagos 2 MORE? shocked .

Spread the thing jor! Lagos is over populated. Build one in Delta, and the other in Bayelsa, PH or something!

owobokiri:

To decongest Lagos, biuld more sea ports elsewhere and improve power supply elsewhere. Ports activities draw a great deal of human traffic to Lagos on daily basis and in a big country like Nigeria with such a vast coastline, concentrating port facilities in Lagos is criminal. Calabar, PH, Oron and other inland ports should be developed. No need for a new port in Lagos when the people there are crying about congestion while house rents soars as a result. Biuld the new ports elsewhere and let the ports compete on equal footing.

Totally supported!
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by jason123: 7:00am On Sep 10, 2011
saintohia:

I remember Rivers already has deep sea port, hence give the new four sea ports to other states that doesn't have any not Lagos, this wld decongest Lagos & encourage development in other states.

Akwa Ibom (Calabar port) and Rivers state(Port harcourt port) already have a sea port!
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by amaham(m): 7:11am On Sep 10, 2011
Plans and talk dis 100days too much abeg. The port in calabar was closed 4 no congent reason, there was a proposed dry port in abia state since God knows when and they've started promisin again. I tire ooo
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by Bluhazel: 7:24am On Sep 10, 2011
jason123:

Akwa Ibom (Calabar port) and Rivers state(Port harcourt port) already have a sea port!
last time i checked, i can remember that Calabar port is situated at Cross River State and not Akwa Ibom State and i don't even think that the port is still functional. Please do get your facts right before posting.
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by gidson12(m): 7:57am On Sep 10, 2011
i think rivers need deep sea port and the one they currently have needs to be expanded
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by GAR3TH(m): 8:03am On Sep 10, 2011
Some cool facts.-

Lagos consumes over 60% of Nigeria's total energy. Also over 60% of Nigeria industrial and commercial establishments are based in Lagos.

Lagos accounts for 90% of Nigeria's total foreign trade, including 80% of the total imports and 70% of industrial investments in Nigeria.

Lagos has the highest vehicular traffic density among all cities in Africa and accounts for 75% of car ownership in Nigeria.

Lagos Accommodates over 95% of financial institutions in Nigeria, and most multinationals operating in Nigeria.

Over 40% of the skilled manpower in Nigeria is employed in Lagos State.

Basically for the same reasons why the New York metro has 4 seaports, lagos is an economic hub.

The fact that tin can and snake island seaports are always full and overcrowd proves that lagos does need a new seaport.

There are also sea ports in warri, port harcourt and calabar that are not crowd, but the fact the ships are coming to lagos means the majority of the goods are meant for lagos.

in other words why ship your goods to calabar seaport just to waste money and have it driving over to lagos while you can just send it to lagos direct.
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by GAR3TH(m): 8:08am On Sep 10, 2011
gidson12:

i think rivers need deep sea port and the one they currently have needs to be expanded

Rivers does have a new deep sea port, Onne port, which is under construction. Phase 1 is completed though. [Below]

Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by Yinkay: 11:40am On Sep 10, 2011
Building of more seaports in Nigeria, is it to support any future diversification of the economy with more value added Nigerian products for export or to support our present import oriented economy. Are they abandoning the Onitsha Inland Port at Bridgehead on River Niger?
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by comechop(m): 2:17pm On Sep 10, 2011
$$$
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by searay(m): 2:47pm On Sep 10, 2011
jason123:

From my Nigerian map here, i think that Calabar is in C.River state, while Ibaka is in A. Ibom. Meanwhile, I'm still wondering where the presence of the federal gov't is in Akwa Ibom. They want to come n share in the glory which has bn (is currently) initiated by the AKS gov't and her good people. God bless Akwa Abasi Ibom State(Amen).
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by jason123: 2:52pm On Sep 10, 2011
^^Was my mistake, my bad!
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by omoajiri(m): 3:54pm On Sep 10, 2011
Why does lagos need 2 more ports when apapa & snake island warff are underutilised? Remember,the Lekki free trade zone by the LASG also comes with a seaport.
I beg make una help tell them o.
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by Desola(f): 4:05pm On Sep 10, 2011
Not buying it! This is an effort for the FG to have strong hold on the west. What we want is regional government and to control our own resources and not for the FG to erect a seaport which would be ill maintained and burden the state government. its an agenda to sabotage Lagos' government idea of building its on port and compete for revenue.

thieves!
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 4:26pm On Sep 10, 2011
@ Jason, absolutely agree dat Delta State needs attention along side Rivers State, Calabar and even Bayelsa and Ondo. These places are crucial coastal point of entry for goods. Too much of everything in Lagos.
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by naijaking1: 4:30pm On Sep 10, 2011
While you guys struggle over who gets more port than the other, just think for a moment how nice it would have been for each state or town to build and manage their own port as needed.
Just like the cities of NY, Charleston, Jacksonville, or LA own and operate their respective ports. In Nigeria, we have NPA, an agency that has proven to be one of the most "lucrative" parastatals for the government. It's dubbed lucrative because it's a major source of corruption and ineffeiciency. For example, instead of the city of PH negotiating the best contract for building or expanding it's port, that job would be performed by some one in far away Lagos or Abuja with it's attendant kick-backs.
The NPA should be scrapped or its duties reduced to a mere oversight of port activities on behalf of the federal government, not awarding contracts or deciding through a false political prism who should or shouldn't have a port.
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by PROUDIGBO(m): 5:25pm On Sep 10, 2011
Does anyone know what the fu*ck is happening with the Onitsha inland port? I thought they said the dredging has been completed.

One thing i've come to realise in this country is: don't get excited about plans for this and that, and don't get excited even when a project is being constructed, as not much benefit (besides that conered by the thieves in government) comes of it on completion as can be seen from the Onitsha port; dredging of the Niger; Enugu Int'l Airport (with no immediate plans for a befitting new terminal building); 2nd Niger bridge; Ajaokuta steel company; Tinapa; fixing the Benin/Ore expressway, etc. All this is done to give some semblance of DIVIDENDS OF DEMOCRACY (i hate that phrase angry), and to pull wool over our eyes.

Call me a doubting Thomas if you like, but i'm not getting excited about anything anymore until i see the project in question up and running profitably.
Re: Lagos, Ogun & Akwa Ibom To Get Four Deep Seaports by aljharem3: 5:29pm On Sep 10, 2011
PROUD-IGBO:

Does anyone know what the fu*ck is happening with the Onitsha inland port? I thought they said the dredging has been completed.

One thing i've come to realise in this country is: don't get excited about plans for this and that, and don't get excited even when a project is being constructed, as not much benefit (besides that conered by the thieves in government) comes of it on completion as can be seen from the Onitsha port; dredging of the Niger; Enugu Int'l Airport (with no immediate plans for a befitting new terminal building); 2nd Niger bridge; Ajaokuta steel company; Tinapa; fixing the Benin/Ore expressway, etc. All this is done to give some semblance of [b]DIVIDENDS OF DEMOCRACY (i hate that phrase angry), and to pull wool over our eyes.
[/b]

Call me a doubting Thomas if you like, but i'm not getting excited about anything anymore until i see the project in question up and running profitably.

Bros you have said it all

the country is messed up in all sense. Never ever have they completed a project before unless it would benefit them directly

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Extradites Chiedo Nzeocha To US Over $30m Fraud / Happy 71st Birthday To IBB / An Indepth Look Into Buhari's Asset Declaration By Barcanista

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.