Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,287 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:19 PM

Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? (19105 Views)

This Is Why Ive Been Avoiding A Shared Apartment. How Can I Handle This? / How Do I Handle My Landlord?? / My Landlord And I (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by countryman13: 1:00pm On Feb 13, 2023
Freethought:
I have been on the same prepaid meter with my landlord since i came to this house 2 years ago, he charge 5k monthly for electricity and I've paid deligently for the past two years.

Last week Saturday he brought an electrician to the house to install the prepaid meter he got for both of us (me and the other tenant). We were not informed about this step until that saturday they brought the meter.

Long story short, we discovered there's a debt of 53k on the meter (estimated bill since he registered for the new meter)

Now, he's asking us to pay the bill ourselves since he collected the meter for us. Mind you, he never for once stopped collecting the 5k.

I want to believe one or two nairalanders have been through something similar to this, that's why I'm here to seek help on how to go about it.
Kindly send your phone number to me on abayomiolu13@gmail.com and i will call you for a headway.
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by lharstborn(m): 1:01pm On Feb 13, 2023
You're very correct on whether he wins or lose in court, the landlord will force him to park out. I'm in such dilemma too.. Just moved into a 2 bedroom flat and discovered when I wanted to recharge units that there is debt of 100k plus on my meter's account. Brought this development to my landlord's attention who said he has no business with it and that I should go sort it out. Now for every recharge I make, I'm being deducted 60% of the amount I pay to offset bill while I get 40% worth of electricity unit.
I won't say pim.. What I'll do is be settling of the money, when I know I am ready to move out of the apartment I will use months worth of that 100k before I move out.
Sometimes one needs to deal with unscrupulous peeps in their own coin.

Nwodosis:
When one applies for a prepaid meter, PHCN will start charging you estimated billing every month until the meter comes. It is not the fault of your landlord that the meter came with unpaid bills.
Your landlord ought to have informed you that he's getting you a new meter and have you disconnected from the general meter so that you won't be paying bills to him again since you are already on the estimated billing in the incoming meter. It may not be his fault because he may not know how PHCN operate.
You are right and your landlord is also right based on his ignorance of how PHCN operates.
Taking up the matter legally, if you win, you will park out and if you lose, you will still park out. You can't take your landlord to court and still remain in his house.
I advise you clear the bill that came with the prepaid meter.

3 Likes

Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by frankson1(m): 1:03pm On Feb 13, 2023
adler777:

You're on point. The issue is from the Discos like EKEDC, IKEDC. That's how they behave, always issuing meters with pre-existing bills... But I think the money is more of the cost of the meter itself, cos they charge for it. So if their landlord didn't pay for it, they have to keep paying it as part of the bills...

PHEC wouldn't have released the metre without payment. It's an old metre that was retrieved from someone or it might be a stolen one. The tenants should go to PHEC office.

2 Likes

Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by LordReed(m): 1:03pm On Feb 13, 2023
Freethought:
I have been on the same prepaid meter with my landlord since i came to this house 2 years ago, he charge 5k monthly for electricity and I've paid deligently for the past two years.

Last week Saturday he brought an electrician to the house to install the prepaid meter he got for both of us (me and the other tenant). We were not informed about this step until that saturday they brought the meter.

Long story short, we discovered there's a debt of 53k on the meter (estimated bill since he registered for the new meter)

Now, he's asking us to pay the bill ourselves since he collected the meter for us. Mind you, he never for once stopped collecting the 5k.

I want to believe one or two nairalanders have been through something similar to this, that's why I'm here to seek help on how to go about it.

Find out the duration or period of the said bill, was it before you were a tenant or after you became a tenant. Use this to prove that the bill is on the landlord's head.
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 13, 2023
frankson1:

PHEC wouldn't have released the metre without payment. It's an old metre that was retrieved from someone or it might be a stolen one. The tenants should go to PHEC office.

We got one for our house that way. Speaking from personal experience. There are instances where the prepaid metres are given out without payment, your bill will be 50% of any amount you load until you complete the payment.

Kindly do ur research.

1 Like

Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by BelovedofLord: 1:13pm On Feb 13, 2023
Very interesting, reading!
And, very, very very interesting comments, too!
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Feb 13, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Your explanations are not correct.
The PHCN or whatever simply transferred the old, outstanding debts from the estimated bills into the new meter.
This 53,000 is the outstanding debt for the entire occupants, including the landlord, of that building starting from when ?PHCN started bringing bills to that house.
The landlord knows this and simply wants only this guy and his colleague to inherit it.
The man might not even be adding his own part of the bill after collecting those 5,000 from the guy, which made it possible for the bill to accumulate to this extent.
What he was doing was like this: if they brought an estimated bill of like 10,000 for the entire house per month, he would collect 5000 from this guy to pay in for the month to avoid disconnection, and the arrears kept accumulating.

The guy should reject it or simply pack out, if the landlord refuses to contribute towards settling this outstanding 53,000.

Pack out? Cause of 53k?

If only you know how much be house rent plus agent and agreement with caution fee, you won't mention pack out, what if he packs out and same happens in the new house?

Well, anyways

Let him talk to the land and if he still proofs stubborn, make una split am into two and he should pay same as the second person
Make problem no for dey

Meanwhile, I went to nepa last week to get my own prepaid meter

1 Like

Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by Richieniit: 1:19pm On Feb 13, 2023
Freethought:

I won't don't want to blame ur landlord cos every story have two sides.

Firstly, you said you pay 5k every month right ? Was the 5k you're paying every month equals the total amount nepa charges you and your landlord on monthly? Eg ( nepa charge you guys on estimated bill 10k, you and your landlord shares it equally and you are sure they're not extra money or any issues ) if this is correct then you have every right to argue with the landlord but if not, you're paying for a debt you also benefitted from.

Secondly ask yourself how the money is being shared, is it by room or apartment.. if so then you have every right to argue with ur landlord.

Lastly ask ur landlord if there was old debt before you pack in.

As for me 53k is no buggy because the compound I am is paying 1.2m debt and every month nepa charge us 11,500. Not a must you will clear the whole money once, I'm sure total charges won't be more than 4k monthly plus you get to enjoy value light. Be glad and thankful for the prepaid o

Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by statesman6: 1:20pm On Feb 13, 2023
Nwodosis:
When one applies for a prepaid meter, PHCN will start charging you estimated billing every month until the meter comes. It is not the fault of your landlord that the meter came with unpaid bills.
Your landlord ought to have informed you that he's getting you a new meter and have you disconnected from the general meter so that you won't be paying bills to him again since you are already on the estimated billing in the incoming meter. It may not be his fault because he may not know how PHCN operate.
You are right and your landlord is also right based on his ignorance of how PHCN operates.
Taking up the matter legally, if you win, you will park out and if you lose, you will still park out. You can't take your landlord to court and still remain in his house.
Very wrong...
When I applied for prepaid meter that year. My outstanding balance on my bills was 3,500 and I was asked to pay it twice. The first time I purchay 5k, they removed 2k and was given 3k energy. The second time the removed 1.5k. you need to question the landlord
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by Abujaexpress: 1:20pm On Feb 13, 2023
wunmi590:

Your landlord is a thief, I'm sorry to say...

Why would you even allow you and your landlord to be sharing meter in the first place and be paying 5k monthly....

The 5k you can comfortably used yourself for 2month, if you hardly stay at home....

Your landlord should go and find away to settle the bill not you, you can't pay for what you didn't use..

Tomorrow same landlord will be abusing Buhari, tinibu, peter obi and all politicians of being corrupt....
Where in Nigeria can you use 5k prepaid meter units for two months without power theft?

2 Likes

Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Feb 13, 2023
Nwodosis:

This is not true oga. I waited for over a year to get my prepaid. It had not bills on it.

It came with 200 units which I paid for later.

1 Like

Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by Helpfromabove1(m): 1:23pm On Feb 13, 2023
Y
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by CaptainFM1: 1:23pm On Feb 13, 2023
Freethought:

This Nepa people are the third most corrupt organisation in Nigeria. Even if you applied for a new account prepaid meter, it comes with some debts on it. I will just say you and your landlord find a way to sort it out. But the good thing now is, you may not spend more than the 5k monthly again whilst the outstanding bills will be gradually cleared. So if, you were already paying 5k monthly on estimated system, just ensure you are paying same monthly on the prepaid. Afterall, the landlord would still have collected the 5k monthly from you if there's no prepaid.

I've had similar experience too before. And when one of the tenants objected to take the bill on the prepaid, the landlord simply increase the tenant rent by 100K while others pay the original rent. So consider the man for coughing out money and even giving it the thought to get prepaid for the house. Something that you will eventually start enjoying after 1-2years of paying your steady 5k, you may realise, you don't even need up to 2k loading every month.

Where I stay, before we're running about 7k per person in the house, and now with prepaid, some of us even run like N1500 per month and all the outstanding bill of about #250,000 remains just about #35,000.

The question is wouldn't you prefer paying 3k or the same 5k monthly and gradually clear off the outstandings on the prepaid meter that came? or You would prefer to continue paying the same 5k monthly on estimated system while the outstandings continue to increase

The whole point is....how do you treat your landlord in this instance? If you can stick loyally with your monthly 5k, you will be fine every month. The outstandings need to be cleared. Most landlords would increase their rent 30 to 50% after purchase of prepaid meter (Atleast that's what I would do if I were your landlord) and I will pay off all outstandings on the prepaid. But you will now have to be paying me 400K annually instead of the 250K you are currently paying for example.
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by Whobedatte(m): 1:25pm On Feb 13, 2023
If you observed an outstanding bill on a new prepaid meter , after notifying your landlord and e Dey do strong head ,pay and clear it and next house payment , deduct it from it
Shikena
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by CaptainFM1: 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2023
Whobedatte:
If you observed an outstanding bill on a new prepaid meter , after notifying your landlord and e Dey do strong head ,pay and clear it and next house payment , deduct it from it
Shikena

It's not that simple. A smart landlord will increase his rent and the net loss will be the tenant.
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by frozen70(f): 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2023
Freethought:

So where has he been paying the 5k to
Or did he actually used your money buy prepaid and now want you to pay for incurred debt that you are not even aware

You guys should dialog with him for a positive result
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by Babamide(m): 1:35pm On Feb 13, 2023
The 53k should be prorated on the meter. You can decide to pay bulk and remove it from your next rent or use 53k worth of time and then move out.
I have a similar issue. I simply bypassed and use my bypass at night and weekends only.
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by popsyleo1: 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2023
I think that is the price for buying the pre paid meter. PHCN normally give that without payment. What they do is that each month you pay about 5k plus the amount you want to recharge. For example, if you want to subscribe for 2k what you now need to pay is 7k until you clear the bill. It happened to me. What you need to do is to discuss with your landlord because the money need to be removed from your next rent. Indirectly you are the one buying the meter but because you will not pack with the meter when you want to pack out, you have to reach agreement with the landlord to remove the money from your rent when next you renew. He must agree.
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by jboixxx: 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2023
Report case to PHCN and be ready to pack out. In my case, we're given 2 meters: 1 is loaded with outstanding and the other was free. My landlord was connected to the indebted meter but he collected the ICU of the free meter (mine). I didn't know cuz I wasn't home when it was connected.

When it was time to load, he loaded my meter! He only told me I'd have to pay him his loaded amount but by the time I got home, he's changed the connection. I went to PHCN to load my "new mine" and was told there's a debt of 100k+ which must be defrayed before I can get token. I was like, I've never owed N1 as NEPA charges. I was advised to settle with my landlord.

I met with him later and was told "he's cash strapped, so, I should try resolve it while he pay me later"! Not possible, was my response and he said, worst case is we share his meter pending he resolve the issue with PHCN.

Of course, I reluctantly agreed as I'd no choice. After about 2 weeks, I couldn't bear it anymore cuz every 2 days, he comes with claims for loading the meter and every 5/6am, the light will go off until about 7pm. So, I told him to disconnect me from the meter.

I had my plans. Started hunting for a new place. God so good, my rent had just about 1 month validity left. I offered him 6 months rent payment feigning cash strapped but he declined the offer. He knew something wasn't right.

Took that month to hunt and was able to get a place 2 weeks after my due date.

The 3rd week after my due date, he called me that he's gotten the meter issue resolved and I've been connected to my own meter with no outstanding. It was late cuz I'd gotten a place and paid for it already. I started arranging my things and getting my new place ready.

He called me on the 27th to ask for a token from the rent for an emergency. Told him that wouldn't be possible as I'd be packing out the next day! He couldn't believe what he heard.

I paid him for the 1month extra I spent and packed out.

Note: the outstanding amount was accumulated consumption charges. Packed in when it was about 50k but got accumulated to ~160k. How come? He definitely was not paying his own share cuz we share bills into 2 equal amount and he doesn't joke with money!! You know what that means.

Living with landlord is like living with devil! Not all of them though.

4 Likes

Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by oluplus(m): 1:38pm On Feb 13, 2023
Nwodosis:

This is note correct pls
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by CaptainFM1: 1:42pm On Feb 13, 2023
statesman6:

Very wrong...
When I applied for prepaid meter that year. My outstanding balance on my bills was 3,500 and I was asked to pay it twice. The first time I purchay 5k, they removed 2k and was given 3k energy. The second time the removed 1.5k. you need to question the landlord

Everybody's case is different.
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by DearGorgeous(f): 1:48pm On Feb 13, 2023
Freethought:

Is that why you are sad? Cheer up bro and pay, if you have the money. When you've made up your mind to pack out from the compound, look for a way to recoup your money. Short and simple.
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by maasoap(m): 1:50pm On Feb 13, 2023
Godwin4444:
your first line is pure fallacy

Once u request for a prepaid meter u will n given a “ to whom it may concern “ letter by phcn in which u will b paying a stipulated amount of money on monthly basis till d arrival of the meter

When I applied for mine they gave me d letter n made it clear I will b paying 2k monthly n anytime their officials come around I do justice to that in respect of d 2k

That 53k on prepaid meter is what I don’t know about

IBEDC placed my brother on estimated billing the moment he applied for prepaid meter. When the meter was made available, he didn't have money. So, his estimated billings kept piling up for like three months he quickly looked for money and paid for the next batch of prepaid meters.
What DISCOs marketers/installers do here is to tell you to wait till the very moment prepaid meters would be available before applying for prepaid so that your estimated billings wouldn't pile up before your meter is made available and installed.
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by maasoap(m): 1:58pm On Feb 13, 2023
Freethought:

What I will tell you is to make sacrifice and live your life in peace. That 53k will be spread over a period of years and you wouldn't know that you are paying any debt.
My co-tenant and me (two flats) are sharing one prepaid meter (free prepaid meter from FG) which I personally struggled for, having been on estimated billings already. The landlady already paid for two meters but were never made available to her.
When that one meter installed for us, 200k was transferred on it from the direct billings. The other tenant wanted to fight for her right with the landlady but I knew it wasn't even the fault of the landlady too. So, I plead with her to let us pay the debt bit by bit ourselves. Now, we're almost done paying 200k off.
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by maasoap(m): 2:01pm On Feb 13, 2023
popsyleo1:
I think that is the price for buying the pre paid meter. PHCN normally give that without payment. What they do is that each month you pay about 5k plus the amount you want to recharge. For example, if you want to subscribe for 2k what you now need to pay is 7k until you clear the bill. It happened to me. What you need to do is to discuss with your landlord because the money need to be removed from your next rent. Indirectly you are the one buying the meter but because you will not pack with the meter when you want to pack out, you have to reach agreement with the landlord to remove the money from your rent when next you renew. He must agree.

This is also a good advice.
We are paying off 200k on our prepaid meter, part of the debt incurred before I even moved in. I didn't negotiate anything with our landlady, instead, she jacked up our rent by 20k each flat. grin grin grin
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by Blackman101: 2:17pm On Feb 13, 2023
I am always very careful to blame anybody when it comes to Electricity bill in this country.

please call a compound meeting with the land lord and resolve issues
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by greggng: 2:24pm On Feb 13, 2023
Freethought:

For your peace of mind do exactly what he said and start enjoying your metre for the rest of your stay. Unfortunately prepaid metres are not meant to be shared amongst tenant cos you can control what they use .you guys are about to suffer from now .
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by haybee2018(m): 2:24pm On Feb 13, 2023
CaptainFM1:

This Nepa people are the third most corrupt organisation in Nigeria. Even if you applied for a new account prepaid meter, it comes with some debts on it. I will just say you and your landlord find a way to sort it out. But the good thing now is, you may not spend more than the 5k monthly again whilst the outstanding bills will be gradually cleared. So if, you were already paying 5k monthly on estimated system, just ensure you are paying same monthly on the prepaid. Afterall, the landlord would still have collected the 5k monthly from you if there's no prepaid.

I've had similar experience too before. And when one of the tenants objected to take the bill on the prepaid, the landlord simply increase the tenant rent by 100K while others pay the original rent. So consider the man for coughing out money and even giving it the thought to get prepaid for the house. Something that you will eventually start enjoying after 1-2years of paying your steady 5k, you may realise, you don't even need up to 2k loading every month.

Where I stay, before we're running about 7k per person in the house, and now with prepaid, some of us even run like N1500 per month and all the outstanding bill of about #250,000 remains just about #35,000.

The question is wouldn't you prefer paying 3k or the same 5k monthly and gradually clear off the outstandings on the prepaid meter that came? or You would prefer to continue paying the same 5k monthly on estimated system while the outstandings continue to increase

The whole point is....how do you treat your landlord in this instance? If you can stick loyally with your monthly 5k, you will be fine every month. The outstandings need to be cleared. Most landlords would increase their rent 30 to 50% after purchase of prepaid meter (Atleast that's what I would do if I were your landlord) and I will pay off all outstandings on the prepaid. But you will now have to be paying me 400K annually instead of the 250K you are currently paying for example.

It's kinda disheartening how we tend to be sentimental on some matters....a Landlord who has an accumulated debt during it's estimated billing days which his/her existing tenant in question knows nothing about would then be expected to join hands in clearing such DEBTS when a prepaid meter comes in...nah Bra!

The truth is....just like someone has said in previous page, most of these landlords enjoy this thing called "IMMUNITY"....a situation whereby even if confronted with a quarrel or not...na you go still packout commot from their house. it might also interest you to know that most of them doesn't usually add-up their own portion of money apportioned to them during estimated billing days....they'll quickly pressure you to pay-up to avoid disconnection (that is - if you stay together with your landlord) thereby surging up such debt in no time.

I'm currently in such dilemma as i'm typing this....there's a total debt of about 120k on our PREPAID METER which we've been paying for months now at our detriment...I only complied in paying coz light is an essential stuff that can't be ignored...now, immediately the arrival of our prepaid we were all summoned to a meeting to pls clear-up our outstanding debt which we did...in no time, an increment letter on house rent came in.

NOW, the picture i'm trying to paint is......some Landlords no send you then why give a FU3K about them....na their property, nobody go gimme gold medal when packing out from such house for clearing up a debt I know nothing of. My intentions now are...when it's time for their rent RENEWAL, I go just tell them say...their rent no go complete o, based on say i no go fit pay money wey i know nothing of. SHEKENA! make we begin fire ourselves from there..
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by Whobedatte(m): 2:26pm On Feb 13, 2023
CaptainFM1:

It's not that simple. A smart landlord will increase his rent and the net loss will be the tenant.
Then he use expect a six month stay without payment which is legal and binding .
Re: Prepaid Meter: How Do I Handle This With My Landlord? by CaptainFM1: 2:29pm On Feb 13, 2023
Whobedatte:

Then he use expect a six month stay without payment which is legal and binding .

There's no such thing as 6months without payment. It's a misconception that people have in their mind! You need to be going to Landlord Tenant cases in court. It's been said several times. I don't know where you people build up that concept from.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's The Labour Cost Of Plastering A Three Bedroom Flat / Residential Building Burnt Down By Electric Spark In Benin City (photos) / Cost Of Rent In Ekiti State Nigeria

Viewing this topic: Morcash01(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.