Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,013 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria (9315 Views)

Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends / More Of Your Rights As An Employee / Here Is The Worst Thing You Can Do As An Employee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by NothingDoMe: 2:05pm On Feb 17, 2023
Not all companies comply
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by Pharaohny: 2:37pm On Feb 17, 2023
What about right to parternity leave
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by MonthlySalary: 2:58pm On Feb 17, 2023
oluwaseyi0:

You ain't going to be the only staff, just like most medical field, the holidays will be rotated

Some go on Jan 1st, others on Jan 2nd, 3rd till everyone have their share
Dey play

I worked on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd undecided
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by MonthlySalary: 3:00pm On Feb 17, 2023
Mindlog:

Is this exclusive to Nigerian hotels?

You don't get it. I mean when you work at a hotel, except if your off days is a holiday, then you can enjoy that day.
But if your "on" day falls on Christmas, my brother you will do that 25th at work and probably 26th sef
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by Olatara(f): 3:11pm On Feb 17, 2023
flemsy15:
A detailed appointment letter and agreement are needed for these rights to be applied. Most people resume work without appointment letters
As a teacher, you need to see my appointment letter grin. You go laugh taya. Selfish school owner.
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by Mindlog: 3:13pm On Feb 17, 2023
MonthlySalary:

You don't get it. I mean when you work at a hotel, except if your off days is a holiday, then you can enjoy that day.
But if your "on" day falls on Christmas, my brother you will do that 25th at work and probably 26th sef

But it doesn't discount that if you work in a hotel, you don't get annual leave. I work in children social care and I was at work on Christmas day till the 30th December and now on my annual leave.
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by MonthlySalary: 3:16pm On Feb 17, 2023
Mindlog:

But it doesn't discount that if you work in a hotel, you don't get annual leave. I work in children social care and I was at work on Christmas day till the 30th December and now on my annual leave.

Annual leave? Nigerian Hotel ?
Broski no leave for here ooo. You no fit dey compare the process/program over there with the system here. Things work differently
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by Mindlog: 3:26pm On Feb 17, 2023
MonthlySalary:

Annual leave? Nigerian Hotel ?
Broski no leave for here ooo. You no fit dey compare the process/program over there with the system here. Things work differently

Reason I asked in my initial post if it is exclusive to Nigeria, because I have Kenyan friennd who works with Hilton hotel, Nairobi and regularly spends her annual leave in the US while her son who is a chef in Qatar visits Kenya every year when on leave.
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by ifiokfb(m): 3:51pm On Feb 17, 2023
What is the adequate rate of calculatiig overtime and public holiday work with respect to labour acts in Nigeria?
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by Asquare84(m): 6:29pm On Feb 17, 2023
dipoolowoo:
By Benita Ayo

The Principal Statute in Nigeria, the Labour Act, has recognised that employees do have rights which must be protected. These rights stem from the fundamental human rights as enshrined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, International Conventions and Protocols to which Nigeria is a signatory, to name a few.

Thus, an employee whose rights have been violated may bring against his employer an action for redress at the National Industrial Court.

Rights of the Employer

So to speak, the employee’s rights include the following;

Right to Maternity Leave
Right to Sick Leave
Right to freedom from discrimination
Right to Participate in Trade Union Activities
Right to Annual Holiday
Right to be treated with dignity and respect

Duties of the Employee

In addition to the rights of an employee, an employee also owes a duty to his employer, which the law expects him to render at all times of his employment. As stated earlier on, a duty is an obligation owed by one person to another. The employee’s duties to his employer include the following;

Duty to obey lawful Order. Lawful order includes instructions given within the context and timeframe of the work hours. An employee is expected to at all times comply with written and oral instructions of his employer. Failure to comply may result in the termination of the employment contract by the employer.
Duty of Disclosure: This duty requires that an employee must disclose to his employer all relevant and necessary information, must act in good faith, and personal interest must not and never conflict with his work obligations.
Duty to take reasonable care: In the performance of an employee’s duties, the law expects the employee to exercise great care and skill in order to avoid incurring liabilities to his employer. (Employers may in a bid to protect themselves from a careless employee, enter a separate contract of indemnity with the employee).
Duty to Indemnify the Employer: By this, an employee has a duty to indemnify his employer from the consequences of his negligent acts done in the course of his employment.

Consequences of Failure to perform his Duties

Where an employee fails to perform his duties as required by the law, the employer may sue the employee for damages caused and suffered. It is always to have a contract of indemnity signed by the employee in favour of the employer at the same time the contract of employment is executed.

The appropriate court having jurisdiction over labour-related disputes in Nigeria is the National Industrial Court.

Benita Ayo is a Seasoned Corporate Commercial Counsel with over 9 years post-call experience. She has handled myriads of briefs in Corporate/Commercial, Employment Law as well as Property Transactional Practice

https://businesspost.ng/jobs/rights-and-duties-of-an-employee-in-nigeria/

Drop your mail please
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by Asquare84(m): 6:36pm On Feb 17, 2023
Does employer have the right to pay terminal benefits to some employee that they lay off running into million and after payment of the terminal benefits brought a new policy for the remaining staff that they are not entitled to any terminal benefits after exit from the company.
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by professore(m): 7:09pm On Feb 17, 2023
dipoolowoo:
By Benita Ayo

The Principal Statute in Nigeria, the Labour Act, has recognised that employees do have rights which must be protected. These rights stem from the fundamental human rights as enshrined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, International Conventions and Protocols to which Nigeria is a signatory, to name a few.

Thus, an employee whose rights have been violated may bring against his employer an action for redress at the National Industrial Court.

Rights of the Employer

So to speak, the employee’s rights include the following;

Right to Maternity Leave
Right to Sick Leave
Right to freedom from discrimination
Right to Participate in Trade Union Activities
Right to Annual Holiday
Right to be treated with dignity and respect

Duties of the Employee

In addition to the rights of an employee, an employee also owes a duty to his employer, which the law expects him to render at all times of his employment. As stated earlier on, a duty is an obligation owed by one person to another. The employee’s duties to his employer include the following;

Duty to obey lawful Order. Lawful order includes instructions given within the context and timeframe of the work hours. An employee is expected to at all times comply with written and oral instructions of his employer. Failure to comply may result in the termination of the employment contract by the employer.
Duty of Disclosure: This duty requires that an employee must disclose to his employer all relevant and necessary information, must act in good faith, and personal interest must not and never conflict with his work obligations.
Duty to take reasonable care: In the performance of an employee’s duties, the law expects the employee to exercise great care and skill in order to avoid incurring liabilities to his employer. (Employers may in a bid to protect themselves from a careless employee, enter a separate contract of indemnity with the employee).
Duty to Indemnify the Employer: By this, an employee has a duty to indemnify his employer from the consequences of his negligent acts done in the course of his employment.

Consequences of Failure to perform his Duties

Where an employee fails to perform his duties as required by the law, the employer may sue the employee for damages caused and suffered. It is always to have a contract of indemnity signed by the employee in favour of the employer at the same time the contract of employment is executed.

The appropriate court having jurisdiction over labour-related disputes in Nigeria is the National Industrial Court.

Benita Ayo is a Seasoned Corporate Commercial Counsel with over 9 years post-call experience. She has handled myriads of briefs in Corporate/Commercial, Employment Law as well as Property Transactional Practice

https://businesspost.ng/jobs/rights-and-duties-of-an-employee-in-nigeria/
nice job
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by funkemary(f): 7:35pm On Feb 17, 2023
Private companies and some banking industry do not care about your right as an employee o. You will just waste your time and energy if you try to claim your right: na you go taya
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by funkemary(f): 7:37pm On Feb 17, 2023
Thanks for the writeup, they are educative
Re: Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria by Joseph1505(m): 8:34pm On Feb 17, 2023
✓Check out this helpful tip✓

As a Marketer, learn to create delightful products and practice smart marketing.
What people wants to buy are solutions not features.

From a book titled "SELL MORE LIKE MAGIC" Incase you need a copy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Self-employment Tips / Pharmacy As Second Degree Or Msc / Plight Of Street Sweepers In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.