Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,712 members, 7,813,350 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends (9033 Views)

Rights And Duties Of An Employee In Nigeria / "Only Nigerian Bosses Make It Seem Okay For You To Work On Weekends" - Man / Here Is The Worst Thing You Can Do As An Employee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by AnonPoet: 5:54am On Apr 03, 2023
Those of you who refuse to pick work calls on Saturday I have a question and I’ll appreciate honest answers - would you be so picky about work if it was your own business?

https://twitter.com/funshodarq1/status/1642265223800209416?t=UTF9WsVUpe-hUZq2hPhcTA&s=19

4 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Khafsun: 6:07am On Apr 03, 2023
Would you be remitting a paltry sum to yourself if it was your own business?
FromTopToBottom:

Would I be going home with such amount if it was my business ?

What people don't understand is, on no condition should you send emails to employees outside work hours. I know the Nigerian system has made you believe it is alright but it is not. Questions like if it was your business wouldn't you work weekend don't make any sense—but it is not their business. It could be that they want more time for themselves and their family hence why they chose the employee route; not everyone believes in the CEO lifestyle and there's nothing wrong with that. Now guilt tripping people to sacrifice their way of life for your own sake is wrong. Especially if the perks of those responsibilities wouldn't be given to them, why then should they still bear the cons of such duties? It is YOUR own business. You are the one who should work 1000hrs per week not them because the business is like your own child ; if it turns out sucessful—it will be your legacy not theirs. So why would they slave for you when they can make something better of their on life. What if those weekends is where they are able to spend time with their family? What if that is when they go through their self-development courses? So you expect them to slave away for you and dedicate their lives to you at their own expense? Even if their salary is 2 million per month, if the contract stipulates them to work only Monday to Friday ; it is wrong to send them emails outside working hours not to talk of calls.
What an employee should rather do is have weekend workers or allow people *voluntarily* pick shifts for the weekend for some compensation. If you leave Nigeria, you would know that this is the way the world works. Especially if you're being paid by hour. Time becomes your most important resource.

I have a friend who works in a school. They are forced to work during Saturdays and all through holiday periods. Just because the proprietor is so greedy and taking advantage of lots of Nigerian parents who are finding a place to dump their kids. Imagine not having your personal life and slowly withering away your life because of some other people's selfishness. While on the other side of the world, a lot of people are working less than you, being treated with respect, and paid far far more.

Over here, work-life balance is a key discussion when people are trying to secure a job. But I understand that poverty is rife in Nigeria hence why people only discuss money during the negotiation period. Dem no born any socalled oga to message me for slack when I'm not in office hours.

Nigerians should do better Abeg.

89 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Onucs(m): 6:48am On Apr 03, 2023
Absolutely not

Not even after close of work during week days

9 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by JASONjnr(m): 6:55am On Apr 03, 2023
Lol.....

If you're paid and you're assigned some duties that requires working over the weekend then you have no excuse for it.

Infact, this Saturday and Sunday I was working tirelessly to compile nominal rolls and other official duties ...

Called two of my colleagues to gather information from them, they didn't pick up but returned the call late at night!

But I'm getting paid to work and to deliver and gain better experience on the job!

Money isn't everything though!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Nobody: 6:59am On Apr 03, 2023
JASONjnr:
Lol.....

If you're paid and you're assigned some duties that requires working over the weekend then you have no excuse for it.

Infact, this Saturday and Sunday I was working tirelessly to compile nominal rolls and other official duties ...

Called two of my colleagues to gather information from them, they didn't pick up but returned the call late at night!

But I'm getting paid to work and to deliver and gain better experience on the job!

Money isn't everything though!

We need to wise up.. employers will pay u peanuts and still have enough boldness to tell you that u're been paid.

I'm quite sure that your salary is not even upto 150k and your employer still wants you to spend your weekends doing some damn job.

22 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Happycharles(m): 7:24am On Apr 03, 2023
Not every office requires you to answer office fone during the weekend.

When I handled office fone at work. My boss understands this. Once its 6PM he does not contact me through office line again and neither does he mandate me to pick up office calls.

During weekend too, to save myself the stress I switch the fone off from Saturday evening till Monday morning.

However, when we are handling a contract, I know there is a need to keep the fone closer cos of logistics related challenges which can come up at anytime. But this is an exceptional case.

I have also seen office that requires you to answr office calls even during weekend. And I believe they pay for it. Its an agreement so why wont you keep to your own end of it.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by richmond500: 9:42am On Apr 03, 2023
The company has to grow and that is why you are employed.
It's your job daddy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by JeffRock: 9:43am On Apr 03, 2023
In my dreams as well

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Quelme: 9:43am On Apr 03, 2023
Be a self made millionaire like me. We work for nobody but us....

Self employment is the real deal.

4 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by vastolord4(m): 9:44am On Apr 03, 2023
You can thats If you love your job too much and that comes with a price which is a bonus

2 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by fola2222: 9:44am On Apr 03, 2023
If stated in employment letter, as at the point of taking up the job

8 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Anoosman(m): 9:44am On Apr 03, 2023
Can't say
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by digitalmonster(m): 9:45am On Apr 03, 2023
Some job are what we term slave job..

Na person with no money thinks the weekend is for washing cloth oh...

CPA/Affiliate marketing is the real deal. Enjoy your freedom ....

$5000 Monthly earnings effortlessly when you're solidly ground in it.

Training available.. Check my other thread to come in.

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Image123(m): 9:45am On Apr 03, 2023
Why not. Do all things to the glory of God. What you sow is what you reap. If the company goes down because of your laissez faire attitude, you will also be out of job. If the company grows and doesn't lose because of your diligence, something somewhere someday will pay you.

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by flexyrule(m): 9:45am On Apr 03, 2023
Depends

2 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Wakins(m): 9:46am On Apr 03, 2023
It depends
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by pol23: 9:46am On Apr 03, 2023
If it's part of the working schedule or you intentionally feel like helping with the work load.
In my own case... I do work some weekend when I have the energy.... I work with an international company and I feel good working remotely.... I was given a study leave and being paid my actual salary with benefits while I work part time.....
So I feel like I owe them that much....

I've also work in an establishment where I would rather quit than attend to work with my free time... Because they are never considerate... Work start by 8 and you should resume by 7:30, 7:31 is late and that will be a debit.... Sadly, we don't get to leave by 5:00PM... Very inconsiderate people....

If you're an employer here... Remember “do unto others as you want them do unto you”

Don't create a toxic working environment....

My first work after NYSC was the worst of all.... Oga’s home dog is more valuable than staff working in the office.... As different people from Oga's come to the office at will... Maybe to come chill or whatever...

6 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by iamoyindamola(m): 9:46am On Apr 03, 2023
Optional unless it was stated in your offer letter
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by kingphilip(m): 9:46am On Apr 03, 2023
As someone earlier mentioned, if your employment letter states so, you should so as to keep your side of the bargain.

If it isn't stated in the employment letter, then I think we should also flip the question: Should An Employee Attend To Personal Calls/mails During Work Hours?. If the answer to the bold is yes, then you should take the calls but if what the call entails will deviate your schedule, it is better to politely decline carrying out the reason behind the call.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Jestin: 9:46am On Apr 03, 2023
To my future wife, let ur work activities end at your workplace because the moment u enter the house , it is family time

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by elefind(m): 9:46am On Apr 03, 2023
I KNOW IT'S HARD

BUT I BELIEVE THAT ONE DAY YOU WILL BE ABLE TO OVERCOME THIS ADDICTION OF READING PEOPLE'S COMMENTS

👇👇👇
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by fitinwell: 9:46am On Apr 03, 2023
....How many Aboki's in Federal Civil services have you heard Working Weekends...

It's only Over Educated South West workers that come this life to suffer...

While the Northerns knows how to flex there Money in politics and marrying underage girls.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by inforesource: 9:47am On Apr 03, 2023
It depends. If it becomes the norms and was not stated in your job offer description, then it should be reviewed and look at it.
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by emmy9500: 9:47am On Apr 03, 2023
If your job responsibilities clearly states you will work over the weekend (when needed) or you are paid for overtime then you can attend to work issues
Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by wahalawahala: 9:48am On Apr 03, 2023
Miracood2:

We need to wise up.. employers will pay u peanuts and still have enough boldness to tell you that u're been paid.

I'm quite sure that your salary is not even upto 150k and your employer still wants you to spend your weekends doing some damn job.
my country people and assumptions...how are u sure? Na same company u dey work? 😂

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Emma1Oj(m): 9:48am On Apr 03, 2023
That CUG / OFFICIAL PHONE na employers monitoring spirit.

1 Like

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by RecentHistory: 9:49am On Apr 03, 2023
Quelme:
Be a self made millionaire like me. We work for nobody but us....

Self employment is the real deal.

Self employed wey dey find 1 room for Ipaja.

4 Likes

Re: Should An Employee Attend To Work Calls/mails On Weekends by Gmajor(m): 9:49am On Apr 03, 2023
AnonPoet:
Those of you who refuse to pick work calls on Saturday I have a question and I’ll appreciate honest answers - would you be so picky about work if it was your own business?

https://twitter.com/funshodarq1/status/1642265223800209416?t=UTF9WsVUpe-hUZq2hPhcTA&s=19
Are you paying them to work on weekends?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Factors And People Aided Your Choice Of Course Of Study/Profession? / November Salary For FG Workers / Ican Study Packs: Governance, Risk And Ethics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.