Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,195 members, 7,818,645 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service (5110 Views)

Amaechi Receives Train Model For Rail Project (photos) / PHOTO: Ogun State Sign The Intercity Rail Network Of Ogun State / FEC Okays N1.1b For Rail Lines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by OAM4J: 1:40am On Sep 11, 2011
[size=13pt]FG Rolls Out Plan for Rail Network Service[/size]

By Francis Ugwoke

The Federal Government has concluded plans to embark on massive rail project, including linking of the nation’s seaports and airports with rail services.

Minister of Transport, Senator Idris Umar disclosed this on the occasion of the commemoration of the First 100 Days of President Goodluck Jonathan in office.

Umar said that part of the plan is to rehabilitate the old Narrow Gauge to run simultaneously with the newly constructed Standard Gauge.

He said that government has already completed the rehabilitation of the old narrow gauge covering 488 kilometres from Lagos – Jebba, expressing optimism that the phase 2 part of the project will be completed by the end of November this year.

According to him, “ this will make it possible to move from Lagos to Kano by rail and reduce the pressure on our roads and elongate the life span of our road network”.

Umar disclosed that part of the project includes the development of mass transit rail services spread across the six geo-political zones in the country.

He also added that intra-city transit services are currently operational in some cities, including Lagos, Kaduna, Ilorin and Kano.

The Minister also disclosed that the federal government is working on developing new rail lines with the involvement of private sector through Public Private Partnership arrangement.
According to him, the Ministry of Transport will ensure that the seaports and airports were linked with rail services as a way of improving transportation system in the country.

He also identified the East-West, Coast line and highspeed linking covering Lagos, Ibadan, Benin-Onitsha – Enugu; Benin-Warri- Yenagoa, P’Harcourt-Uyo-Calabar; Lagos and Abuja, as top on the agenda of government.

Phase one of the modernisation project, the Minister said, entails the introduction of a standard gauge rail system to link the major cities in Nigeria.

“In this regard, I am happy to report that work has started on the first leg of the project which runs from Abuja to Kaduna. This project is being handled by the China Civil Engineering and Construction Company (CCECC).”, he said.

He said that the contractor has assured of completing the project within 36 months as contained in the contract agreement.

Umar also disclosed that the project employs over 2000 Nigerians and expected to employ 5000 Nigerians on completion.
Similarly, he disclosed that the Ajaokuta –Warri Rail Line , and construction of new stations was at advanced stage.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/fg-rolls-out-plan-for-rail-network-service/98160/
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by Kobojunkie: 1:41am On Sep 11, 2011
This Fg needs to shut the heck up already!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by jason123: 2:06am On Sep 11, 2011
FG should please try to complete it!!! Please! We are tired of all this!
Also include CONSTANT ELECTRICITY AND ALL OUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED, at least 90% of it. Jos crisis, Boko haram, traffic jam, ethnic strife etc. WILL ALL END!!! Why? Because no one will have time for all these ills. People just want to get home from work and switch on the fan after a sunny day!!! It really helps in stress elevation!

Do those two (rail way and electricity) and steal the remain money, no one will care!!! All you need to do is to sit back and watch the economy grow RAPIDLY!!!
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by kobikwelu(m): 2:09am On Sep 11, 2011
its just too much to bear,

the way these people are going, we wonder if there is any hope for my beloved country
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by CyberG: 2:10am On Sep 11, 2011
How may useless PR "plans" will the MAD Jonathan government make before it gets anything done? Nothing has come of all the plans that were in the works for a long time: corruption is getting worse, security getting worse, boko haram, Jos, unemployment all getting worse. Yet it is plan to overtake Egypt and SA, rail service, etc, etc? Jonathan, his useless government and the more useless people who voted for this more-useless-than-Yaradua-government are the reason where this country is going nowhere!
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by Beaf: 2:17am On Sep 11, 2011
CyberG:

How may useless PR "plans" will the MAD Jonathan government make before it gets anything done? Nothing has come of all the plans that were in the works for a long time: corruption is getting worse, security getting worse, boko haram, Jos, unemployment all getting worse. Yet it is plan to overtake Egypt and SA, rail service, etc, etc? Jonathan, his useless government and the more useless people who voted for this more-useless-than-Yaradua-government are the reason where this country is going nowhere!

You didn't vote. In fact you are not even in Nigeria, so why insult the millions who did their civic duty?
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by musiwa48: 2:18am On Sep 11, 2011
This is pure madness. If someone want to start to construct a rail way system from Lagos sea port to Kaduna.  Do you know where in the world. they will start from the destination . No. they start from the seaport to the destination.  the minister is another ethnic hater.  the procedure is to start from the lagos seaport to kaduna . And not from abuja to Kaduna.

this is ethnic hate. what it means is that this government is made up ethnic haters and ethnic bigot.
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by 2mch(m): 2:45am On Sep 11, 2011
Beaf:

You didn't vote. In fact you are not even in Nigeria, so why insult the millions who did their civic duty?

Is this a joke? See heavy comedy. Beaf should be a comedian. Civic duty ko, rigging duty ni. hahahahahha.
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by ShipIt(m): 2:53am On Sep 11, 2011
This is typical of our FG, trying to fly before learning to crawl. Talking about rail networks and intra city trains without even achieving a stable power grid. This is actually a very dangerous proposal that can lead to numerous accidents and deaths. What happens if the signals that guide these trains fail due to a lack of power?what of the train networks traffic control center, who will man it? Are they assured power without interruption? Is our communications infrastructure strong enough to support such a large operation? Will the Chinese company be held to high standards of workmanship or are they just gonna do it on the cheap? Who is going to maintain this rail network and how? I'm not just talking about putting s*** down on paper as usual but actually getting it done, Frankly I think the FG should rethink this plan and reorganize their priorities. Doing a project like this the "Nija Way" is a public Hazard of epic proportions
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by 2mch(m): 2:55am On Sep 11, 2011
ShipIt:

This is typical of our FG, trying to fly before learning to crawl. Talking about rail networks and intra city trains without even achieving a stable power grid. This is actually a very dangerous proposal that can lead to numerous accidents and deaths. What happens if the signals that guide these trains fail due to a lack of power?what of the train networks traffic control center, who will man it? Are they assured power without interruption? Is our communications infrastructure strong enough to support such a large operation? Will the Chinese company be held to high standards of workmanship or are they just gonna do it on the cheap? Who is going to maintain this rail network and how? I'm not just talking about putting s*** down on paper as usual but actually getting it done, Frankly I think the FG should rethink this plan and reorganize their priorities. Doing a project like this the "Nija Way" is a public Hazard of epic proportions

hahahahahahha! This guy has decoded the whole levels. Chei! See wahala for FG looting possibilities and elephant projects. grin cool
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by musiwa48: 3:01am On Sep 11, 2011
what civil duty are you talking about. ? dont make me laugh.
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by Nobody: 4:57am On Sep 11, 2011
I can't help but laugh to to my hearts content!  grin grin. This FRESH AIR is turning out to be PLANNED one. At this rate, this administration will begin to plan when Nigerians sleep with their wives  lipsrsealed cheesy. Incompetent sandbags who only have more talk than actions to back them up! angry. The next election is agonizingly too far away and I feel like crying that I supported the GEJ's election! His administration has nothing to offer Nigeria but "plans" embarassed
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by moonraker(m): 6:26am On Sep 11, 2011
e don tey since we dont hear this sort of news,

this isnt news at all, instead of them to be concentrating

on the constant power supply thingy, they are talking of train, lfmao cheesy
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by Jeboy(m): 7:10am On Sep 11, 2011
Dis is typical of nairaland,u criticise anything,everything.Other nationals reading ur post in nairaland would just be laughing at ur attitudes.U guys are worse than Thomas.If d govt does not talk about plans u ll brand dem clueless,if they do u ll say they re talking too much.What will u not complain about?I think u guys should work on ur pessimism because as a man thinketh so is he.
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by wesley80(m): 7:49am On Sep 11, 2011
^^^ My broda, those were also my thoughts as i read thru the comments, very very depressing and i couldnt help shaking my head in disgust. So so sad.
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by ShipIt(m): 7:51am On Sep 11, 2011
Jeboy:

Dis is typical of nairaland,u criticise anything,everything.Other nationals reading your post in nairaland would just be laughing at your attitudes.U guys are worse than Thomas.If d govt does not talk about plans u ll brand dem clueless,if they do u ll say they re talking too much.What will u not complain about?I think u guys should work on your pessimism because as a man thinketh so is he.
I think you deserve some critiscm, why should citizens not criticize the failures of it's government. should we cheer and be optimistic while our future as a nation is being pissed away?
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by mrjingles(m): 8:40am On Sep 11, 2011
A lot of us are just pretending we have lost faith in the Govt while in truth we have lost faith in ourselves. I wonder how many pple on this forum actually know anything about rail transport. You think laying rail tracks is like digging soak away pit? It takes time and money. Someone went as far as saying they shd give us power instead of rail (alarming to hear such comments) If you read carefully it was the minister of TRANSPORT that spoke, you don't expect him to tell you about power, that's not his portfolio.

Keyboard experts make una leave us o
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by Hatitude: 11:21am On Sep 11, 2011
Jeboy:

Dis is typical of nairaland,u criticise anything,everything.Other nationals reading your post in nairaland would just be laughing at your attitudes.U guys are worse than Thomas.If d govt does not talk about plans u ll brand dem clueless,if they do u ll say they re talking too much.What will u not complain about?I think u guys should work on your pessimism because as a man thinketh so is he.

It is apt that the people criticise the govt about these non-ending massive railway projects that are forever being planned. It is a known fact that railway gulps huge sums of money and the way to extract sizeable funds from the country's coffers is to come up these non-specifics.

Railway rehabilitation is no child's play and requires upwards of 10 to 20years of planning to construct. So when a minister comes and starts talking about planning, he simply isn't serious about doing anything and in my view is out to enrich himself.

I'm sure there must be thousands of plans available for him to work with. I remember scrolling through the internet and coming across a 25year plan made by the former Minister for Transport (Ojo Madueke). Why is that not being referred to and used?

Please stop this lousy propaganda!
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by OmoTier1(m): 11:35am On Sep 11, 2011
This is akin to man who has not been able to complete a BQ since laying the foundation and is talking of Mansion de chetau with bath steamers in every room
Pure fantasy!
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by Arosa(m): 12:29pm On Sep 11, 2011
@ topic, nice dream! grin grin grin
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by tlops(m): 12:57pm On Sep 11, 2011
, waiting to exhale!
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by beespak7(m): 2:35pm On Sep 11, 2011
So what happened to the multi billion dollar rail way contracts obasanjo signed with the chinese?
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by Kobojunkie: 2:44pm On Sep 11, 2011
With the way things work, this one will probably be in addition to that one. ROFL!!!

Where is Seun and his talk of continuity? Is this it?? ROFLMAO!! grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by texazzpete(m): 2:57pm On Sep 11, 2011
mrjingles:

A lot of us are just pretending we have lost faith in the Govt while in truth we have lost faith in ourselves. I wonder how many pple on this forum actually know anything about rail transport. You think laying rail tracks is like digging soak away pit? It takes time and money. Someone went as far as saying they shd give us power instead of rail (alarming to hear such comments) If you read carefully it was the minister of TRANSPORT that spoke, you don't expect him to tell you about power, that's not his portfolio.

Keyboard experts make una leave us o
Jeboy:

When you kids grow up, get jobs and start paying taxes you will perhaps come to the understanding that non-performing Governments should be taken to task for their failings.
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 11, 2011
na so so sorry for Nigeria,
ordinary truth from our leaders nko, no dey, where you go see am, no dey, dey e dey e dey, no dey, look left and right no dey, oh oh oh oh oh
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by edicolove: 4:19pm On Sep 11, 2011
texazzpete:

When you kids grow up, get jobs and start paying taxes you will perhaps come to the understanding that non-performing Governments should be taken to task for their failings.

But they haven't failed yet. They just mentioned their plans. So what failure are you taking them to task for? cynicism is a very terrible disease you know.
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by edicolove: 4:25pm On Sep 11, 2011
Moreover, the power sector is already recording huge success. Oh, I forgot you are typing from Vietnam. Sorry. Anyway, this is to inform you that the power project is already recording big improvements as Lagos is now enjoying huge success in power supply. some places have been enjoying 24 hours light for a while now. My friend in Lekki confirms light has not bliked for 6 days now. Something that has never happened before in the history of Nigeria. So lets keep praying for our presido to do better and sustain it. Kerosine is now between 65 and 95 Naira a litre across lagos while a few stations sell at 50 Naira. We hope that also improves with time. We need more prayers for the rail system. Forget those people who dont believe in Nigeria. Let them naturalized wherever they are, we dont care.
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by texazzpete(m): 5:00pm On Sep 11, 2011
edicolove:

But they haven't failed yet. They just mentioned their plans. So what failure are you taking them to task for? cynicism is a very terrible disease you know.

It should be obvious to anyone with a brain that I was making a general statement. Plus, I used the word 'failings' not 'failure'. Any decent JSS3 student will educate you on the difference between those two words.

edicolove:

Moreover, the power sector is already recording huge success. Oh, I forgot you are typing from Vietnam. Sorry. Anyway, this is to inform you that the power project is already recording big improvements as Lagos is now enjoying huge success in power supply. some places have been enjoying 24 hours light for a while now. My friend in Lekki confirms light has not bliked for 6 days now. Something that has never happened before in the history of Nigeria.

Forgive me for thinking you were an intelligent fellow. Even when you are constantly inundated with actual power generation figures in MW, you choose to go the 'market woman' route and start trying to back up your claims by whining about steady electricity in some areas?
See link below

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/news/76-hot-topic/24599-fg-fails-to-deliver-on-its-power-target
While the Power sector reform roadmap targeted total power generation of 7,033 megawatts of electricity by April 2011, actual power generation as of Tuesday, July 12 was a dismal 3,200 megawatts.

This is still a far cry from the 5,755 megawatts of power government technocrats said would be the realistic delivery target by the end of the first quarter of this year.

Your deduction on power generation 'improvement' makes as much sense as someone turning his back on hard facts like Boko Haram and claiming Nigeria is now a safer place because armed robbery in Oshodi is on the decrease.
For providing such a daft input to this discussion, I advise you to set a suitable penance for yourself (5 mins of Frog Jump will not be amiss)

edicolove:

So lets keep praying for our presido to do better and sustain it. Kerosine is now between 65 and 95 Naira a litre across lagos while a few stations sell at 50 Naira. We hope that also improves with time. We need more prayers for the rail system. Forget those people who dont believe in Nigeria. Let them naturalized wherever they are, we dont care.

Prayers?! That's your answer? Why did the good Lord give us brains if all we do is throw up our hands in the air at any challenge and run shrieking to our churches? Nonsense!
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by teemon: 7:42pm On Sep 11, 2011
They have been doing that since 1971 o!
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by AjanleKoko: 10:15pm On Sep 11, 2011
well, you have to give it to this Jonathan administration.
They've got lots of gist going on. News non-stop, gist all round. They keep the wires burning grin
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by DisGuy: 10:19pm On Sep 11, 2011
I see OM4j desperately digging for 'good'/positive news, can't blame ya!!
Re: Fg Rolls Out Plan For Rail Network Service by AjanleKoko: 10:21pm On Sep 11, 2011
Dis Guy:

I see OM4j desperately digging for 'good'/positive news, can't blame ya!!

They are obliging aren't they?
They keep flowing all manner of news items about 'plans', 'projects', and whatnot.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Youths Ask IBB, Abdulsalam, Atiku, Others To Apologise / Germany Tells Netanyahu: We Are Responsible For The Holocaust -BBC / Hausa And Yoruba Clash @ Mile 12

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.