Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,329 members, 7,811,967 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats (27109 Views)

FG Summons Dangote, BUA Over Rising Cost Of Cement / Election: FG Declares Friday Public Holiday, Excludes Bankers / Ekiti Election: 'FG Moves N18bn Cash Through Akure Airport' - Lere Olayinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by AcuraZDX: 1:25am On Feb 15, 2023
Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Tuesday summoned the Finnish Ambassador, over misinfornation, disinformation, hate speech and incitive comments by a Nigerian-Finnish lawyer and Biafra agitator, Simon Ekpa, which many fear could derail the peaceful conduct of 2023 general elections.

At the meeting with the Finnish Ambassador to Nigeria, Leena Pylvanainen, Foreign Affairs Minister, Geoffrey Onyeama expressed displeasure over the orders given by Simon Ekpa to his teeming followers who consequently embarked on killings, maiming, burning and other destructive activities.

The Ekpa-led faction of the outlawed Indigenous People’s of Biafra (IPOB) had reportedly declared that elections will not be allowed to hold in the South-East, and had declared the period of the elections as sit-at-home.

The minister who was represented by the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Zubairu Dada said Ekpa’s action is fast becoming a threat to the forthcoming election, and that the Federal Government would not take it lightly with him and the Finland governments if nothing drastic is not done.

According to Dada, Simon Ekpa is living in the comfort of his home in Finland and dishing out dangerous orders to his followers not to allow elections to hold which is threatening the peace of the south-eastern Nigeria.

“We thought it was important for us to have this chat with you to let you know that, of course, he’s living in the comfort of his home there in Finland and we know that we have been in touch with your good self,” Dada said.

“We’ve had some time to ensure that we arrest this situation but it appears the situation is getting out of hand. And we’re saying enough is enough. We should let you know, in very strong terms that it’s high time you really mean and back Nigeria with the quest that something be done immediately because he threatens the forthcoming elections.

“The sad thing is that this gentleman has a lot of followers out there. And the moment he issues these instructions, what happens is that you have destruction the very next day. They embark on killings, maimings and burning and you name it. And we believe this is not acceptable.

“It’s important to get to know that this elections are being threatened by the actions of someone, and that something needs to be done immediately, to address the situation. This in essence is why we thought it was important for us to have this discussion with you, so as to let you know our concerns and the displeasure of the Government of Nigeria and the people of Nigeria on this very unhealthy development.”

Responding, Pylvanainen said that while they are watching to see how this fits into the legal framework of Finland, the personality in question is a double citizen and there is a need to take his rights into consideration.

She described it as an irritant in the relations between Nigeria and Finland which are celebrating 60 years of diplomatic relations this year.

The Finnish envoy said it has been 60 years of excellent cooperation bilaterally and on international fora and they can not trade such for anything as the issue is such a serious concern to Finland and efforts are ongoing to address it.

“This is something I want to make very, very clear. Finland condemns all violence and incitement to violence in all its forms. Political aims, of course, should be pursued through political means only. That is very clear,” she said.

“It stems from the fundamentals of our actions, it’s enshrined in our constitution, and we do really underline our support and the importance we see for these elections not only for Nigeria, but for the entire region. So we’re with you very much on that.

“We share very much the concerns regarding the security situation in the southeast? Yes, there are problems in other parts of the country as well. But this is an issue that we are directly concerned with. This is an issue we have been discussing, we share the concerns. We have discussed the matter and as I mentioned, our law enforcement agencies are in touch and are cooperating.

“We do have this irritant, as you call it on our bilateral agenda. And it is a topic on which we have been cooperating, our authorities have been cooperating, there have been contacts between the law enforcement agencies of Nigeria and Finland on this topic.

“We’ve had several discussions here in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which we do appreciate very much, because you said this is an issue of national concern to Nigeria nationally, but it is very much a concern for us as well.

” Finland of course, as a member of the EU has been part and parcel of these efforts. We have our own long term observers on the ground at the moment. We are very much interested in the safe and secure conduct of these elections throughout the country.

“Information has been shared, and we hope for more of that in order for all authorities to do their job and that is to investigate really what is going on and to see how this fits into the legal framework of Finland, because we are of course speaking of a Finnish citizen.

“Also, he’s a double citizen as far as I know of Nigeria and Finland, and he’s therefore as you rightly said, protected and safe and sound in his home in Finland. But we have to take his rights into consideration as well. So everything has to obviously be done according to Finnish legislation, which has very strong protections for freedom of speech.

“But of course, stipulations against hate speech and incitement to violence for us, the situation is really of concern on three accounts, even you could say it is of concern. Most of all, of course, on the ground in the Southeast, but also what we have seen over the recent weeks.”

https://businessday.ng/news/article/fg-summons-finnish-ambassador-over-simon-ekpas-threats-to-bar-elections-in-south-east/

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by AcuraZDX: 1:25am On Feb 15, 2023
Everything has its end.

Bye Bye to Simon Ekpa

257 Likes 17 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by flexyebe(m): 2:15am On Feb 15, 2023
Finland one of the best in human rights and maintaining peace in EU...e don b for this man

123 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by ogaontop(m): 2:18am On Feb 15, 2023
I wonder why they didn't follow this legal procedure before they "took" Nnamdi Kanu back to Nigeria!

As for Ekpa, he's just playing to the gallery with few frustrated followers and political paymasters!

140 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by ejifranks(m): 2:20am On Feb 15, 2023
Wow!!!! so this guy is a Finnish citizen yet causes trouble for us here in the name of IPOB, which he is even not a recognized member. Meanwhile he and his family enjoys life in Finland. Wow wow!!! My south east brothers must wake up.

Ekpa is a terrorist and should be treated as such by Finland. All this talk of protecting his rights while he destroys the south east is nonsense talk.

290 Likes 18 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Nobody: 2:21am On Feb 15, 2023
Only reason I love Putin and Xi is that, In situations like this, they would have sent both Ekpa and Kanu back to God

Those leaders don’t take nonsense. Just criticize and you dead

83 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Chinjo2: 3:27am On Feb 15, 2023
Something keeps telling me that Simon Ekpa is being sponsored by a certain drug barron from the southwest.

177 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by sotall(m): 3:28am On Feb 15, 2023
undecided
Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Bontafa: 3:30am On Feb 15, 2023
CoronaVirusRelo:
Only reason I love Putin and Xi is that, In situations like this, they would have sent both Ekpa and Kanu back to God

Your cocaine sniffer no go win

Shikena

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by MMWandali: 3:30am On Feb 15, 2023
Long overdue

This is something they should have done much earlier to safeguard lives and property of citizens

Shouldn't just be because of the coming elections

85 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Nobody: 3:31am On Feb 15, 2023
Bontafa:

Your cocaine sniffer no go win

Shikena

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Be patient!

Reality will catch up with you!

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by descarado: 3:34am On Feb 15, 2023
Said it on another thread that the guy will wake up and see himself in kuje.

Obi and datti has done the needful. Let's watch out for the outcome.
Remember this came after inec said imo is greatly disenfranchised.

All madness have cure. Las las na death.

20 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by descarado: 3:37am On Feb 15, 2023
AcuraZDX:
Everything has its end.

Bye Bye to Simon Ekpa
Dual citizen is nothing if he is causing hardship and death somewhere.
His boy oyigbo update has all the necessary exhibits against him littered here on how his people kill with reckless abandon in igboland.

7 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Bontafa: 3:37am On Feb 15, 2023
CoronaVirusRelo:

grin grin grin grin grin grin

Be patient!

Reality will catch up with you!

Bulaba to bed

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by gaby(m): 3:43am On Feb 15, 2023
I wonder why this action is just being taken.

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Confirmedzombie: 3:49am On Feb 15, 2023
Peter obi will not be happy reading this. Obi is Simon Ekpa faction of Ipob sponsor.

I pity obi as all his plans to destroy the SE will be shattered.

Obi is a disgrace to Ndigbo and humanity.

A great pretender and saboteur

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Penguin2: 3:55am On Feb 15, 2023
Lol!

Simon Ekpa about to be delivered like chicken to Nigerian authorities.

Tinubu BATstards who celebrated the arrest of Kanu don’t want Ekpa arrested because they are hoping that they idiot would cause violence and reduce voter turnout in the Southeast and shrink the votes that Obi would get in Southeast but their cup is about to be filled.

I told you people on this forum sometimes ago that Sit-at-home was still succeeding in Southeast because the people were tacitly in support of it. That the day the Igbos would decide enough is enough or they see that IPOB is now veering off the interest of the generality of Ndigbo is the day sit-at-home will end.

Some folks who don’t understand the mentality of the Igbo man convulsed in the mouth and told me that IPOB was now bigger than Ndigbo, and I laughed.

But it has started…. An enforcer was burnt in Anambra on Monday. Expect more enforcers to be set ablaze across southeast.

And then the arrest of Simon Ekpa will serve as the final death nail.

The main IPOB loyal to Nnamdi Kanu has said there’s no sit-at-home, so, who is Ekpa taking orders from?

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by FreeStuffsNG: 3:57am On Feb 15, 2023
“Also, he’s a double citizen as far as I know of Nigeria and Finland, and he’s therefore as you rightly said, protected and safe and sound in his home in Finland. But we have to take his rights into consideration as well. So everything has to obviously be done according to Finnish legislation, which has very strong protections for freedom of speech.

This statement will later haunt Finland. Nigeria will never forget how they were tardy on such a very important national issue by the time he is rendered to Nigeria.

This is why President Putin calls their bluff in Europe. They can be so irresponsible and speak as if all that matters is their own interest. This guy is primarily a Nigerian committing crime in Nigeria but hiding there in Finland his adopted secondary nation. His Finish citizenship comes with conditions and if he flouts it can be withdrawn. They will hear from Nigeria too.

All these grammer she is speaking indict Finland very seriously and it is a mockery when she talks about our bilateral relationship for as long as the alleged terrorist is holing up comfortably in Finland. She should forget about that relationship.

If USA, Isreal, UK etc can go into another country to kill their citizens labelled as terrorists for harming US/Isreal/UK citizens so also can Nigeria or any other nation go the extra mile to protect its own citizens from a terrorist.

Finland is a very small country that is feeling cool taking Nigeria for a ride at the moment. Nigeria is not slack on things like this, she is naive and ignorant to think Nigeria is wink Not even UK or US let alone small Finland can protect the terrorist by the time Nigeria moves against him.
check my signature for free stuffs!

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Penguin2: 3:59am On Feb 15, 2023
Confirmedzombie:
Peter obi will not be happy reading this. Obi is Simon Ekpa faction of Ipob sponsor.

I pity obi as all his plans to destroy the SE will be shattered.

Obi is a disgrace to Ndigbo and humanity.

A great pretender and saboteur

Lol!

Or you meant to say that Tinubu would be in life support after hearing that one of the structures he was hoping to use to suppress Southeast votes is about to be taken out🤣.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by piyoo91: 4:18am On Feb 15, 2023
Well, i havn't lived in the south east before, but as someone staying in the north and having experience first hand killing and destructions of properties, i wound't wish my enemy to experience such. Anything that will stop killing of innocent civilians and destruction of there property is welcome.

31 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by fineboynl(m): 4:45am On Feb 15, 2023
This election will kill epka influence or it will make epka influence stronger. One of the two.

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Stanweezy(m): 5:06am On Feb 15, 2023
That guy needs to be tamed, he talks carelessly

12 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by TalkTalkTwins(m): 5:07am On Feb 15, 2023
Ok
Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by nairalee(m): 5:08am On Feb 15, 2023
that Ekpa of a guy should be as irrelevant as a groundnut seller if not Nigeria where Buhari's nepotism has pitched some south easterners against the country because they feel marginalized in their own country

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by BossGerald: 5:10am On Feb 15, 2023
CoronaVirusRelo:

Tifnubu is finished grin

5 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by tunwumi: 5:11am On Feb 15, 2023
Nonsense
Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by BluntCrazeMan: 5:13am On Feb 15, 2023
Let them repatriate Simon Ekpa back to Nigeria.
Ekpa is not protected by any foreign citizenship.

He is fully Nigerian
(to the best of my knowledge)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by BossGerald: 5:13am On Feb 15, 2023
Chinjo2:
Something keeps telling me that Simon Ekpa is being sponsored by a certain drug barron from the southwest.

I don tell you b4 nau...tinubu poster was seen in one of his live video sessions in his office.

12 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Nobody: 5:16am On Feb 15, 2023
The Finnish Ambassador is speaking grammar.

Let them bundle that animal into a plane and return him to Nigeria make hand touch am.

You're yarning dust about an individual's freedom of speech when that same individual is inciting people to violence and causing chaos in an entire region. So the people of the South East have no rights to enjoy as well?

I don't like what I hate!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by MrEverest(m): 5:18am On Feb 15, 2023
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the federal government has now put Finland in a tight spot. The ambassador was talking rubbish about rights because a terrorist has no right anywhere in the world. They're taken out once it's ascertained they're a threat to innocent people.

If Nigeria is habouring a Finnish citizen who incites violence that leads to deaths and destruction in Finland, will they be talking about rights? Won't they demand for immediate repatriation?

Anyways, my happiness is that everything is being done to ensure that Tinubu never becomes our president. It has become obvious that either Obi or Atiku wins or an interim government takes over.

Sorry Tinubu, you're a threat to Nigeria's stability and progress, so you stand condemned!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by Fapemz: 5:21am On Feb 15, 2023
Peace
Re: 2023 Election: FG Summons Finnish Ambassador Over Simon Ekpa‘s Threats by PixelPlexus: 5:25am On Feb 15, 2023
Interesting time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

"I Am In Difficult Situation Over Appointment" - Buhari / Crack In Pro-Buhari Group As Reps Move To Oust Gbajabiamila - Daily Trust / Nigeria Border Closure: Nigerien Traders Cry Out 'We Twiddle Our Thumbs & Pray'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.