Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,889 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes (22905 Views)

ChatGPT Will Soon Be Able To Generate Videos. / Tolani: Ekiti Boy Generates Electricity From 2 Stones To Power His Home / Scientists Revive 100 Million Year Old Ancient Microbes (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Greenscientist: 10:07pm On Feb 19, 2023
JackDaAlienz:
Now
Black man cry undecided angry
Even if God come down from Heaven and show black race the secret of technology to help them advance and live better, they will still fumble.

Now I know why whites are more advanced in life and why Africans are selling their land just to travel abroad.
Tufiakwa!!
Only thing you blacks do is to build churches up and down making pastors rich
Someone is showing you priceless information and this is the trash you all can come up with??

Pele, white man or woke black man.

If people believe your theory while you say it, then it is no more special.

Nobody will fully believe in Elon Musk until he is done taking us to Pluto Abi Na Saturn he dty try?

There are many theories that looked realistic but failed or what is your point gan?
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by SolarEngr(m): 10:08pm On Feb 19, 2023
I thought it's practical grin
Until I saw it was just theory angry

Anyway, it's a good week to Go Solar
Check the thread on my signature and say no more.

Focusing on quality, keeping promises, creating a world class brand. © The Trills Consulting 2023

1 Like

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 10:11pm On Feb 19, 2023
Mustiboy:
This technology has — for as long as I remember — been in existence for over a decade. If it were as efficient as projected, more people would be using it by now.

I personally think it’s just a flex of the cool things one can do with waste, not that it solves any real-life problem. How many amps & volts can it even produce per KG worth of waste?

Some instances are those created with public toilets in Asia. Most of them have been repurposed and just used as normal toilets now.
You remember how it all started? Compare it to now and you will see that there is hope. In fact, the amps and voltage can be increased with capacitors that are charged in parallel and discharge in series.
As for the Asian eg you gave, it might be that they lack maintenance culture or the zeal to continue using it. I don't know for sure. Nothing is impossible oo. It is only God that can limit science.

1 Like

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by YoungBlackRico(m): 10:13pm On Feb 19, 2023
Mtcheeeew
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 10:14pm On Feb 19, 2023
SolarEngr:
I thought it's practical grin
Until I saw it was just theory angry

It is not just theory. It had been used to light up public toilets and charge mobile phones.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by opeey(m): 10:21pm On Feb 19, 2023
This exactly my project in school in 2017.
Generation of electricity using microbial fuel cells. We were 3 in the group that did the project. We test for the voltage ⚡ in the cell then. We did this project in sub division of civil and environmental Engineering which is water and wastewater engineering.

1 Like

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 10:23pm On Feb 19, 2023
blueAgent:
Nice writeup.

But unfortunately threads like this do not make front page or attract ppl, what ppl like is threads on dating,Bbnaija, celebrity gossip,entertainment and all sorts of crap.

Thumbs up OP.

I learnt a lot today.
Thanks man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 10:29pm On Feb 19, 2023
drimzsmoke:

Sir,enipe....I used microscope only once before my project in final year....course wey I don abandon since 2015,I’ve moved on to greater things!!! grin grin grin grin grin
So unfortunate grin. But I will advise you not to give up. Search for bizness ideas and try them out. If you can produce probiotics economically, you can sell it to livestock and poultry farmers. So long as you know theory, you can figure out the practical aspect using google and youtube.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by seaenergy: 10:30pm On Feb 19, 2023
FarmTech:
[b]2. Microbial Desalination Cell (MDC): [/b]Here, microbes are used to turn salty water into fresh, drinkable water. According to wikipedia, only 0.3% of the earth's water supply is usable for human consumption, while over 99% is sequestered by oceans, glaciers, brackish waters, and biomass. With MDC, these unusable water can be made fit for human use.

I am sure you are using generator to charge your phone, not to talk of you creating 1 hour light for your self. too much theory no good for you
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 10:31pm On Feb 19, 2023
opeey:
Generation of electricity using microbial fuel cells. We were 3 in the group that did the project. We test for the voltage ⚡ in the cell then. We did this project in sub division of civil and environmental Engineering which is water and wastewater engineering.
Interesting. Can you remember the result you got (voltage and current)? Which electrodes did you use?
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 10:35pm On Feb 19, 2023
seaenergy:

I am sure you are using generator to charge your phone, not to talk of you creating 1 hour light for your self. too much theory no good for you
This is one major problem blacks have. But don't worry. You will hear from me in the future.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by drimzsmoke(m): 10:42pm On Feb 19, 2023
FarmTech:

So unfortunate grin. But I will advise you not to give up. Search for bizness ideas and try them out. If you can produce probiotics economically, you can sell it to livestock and poultry farmers. So long as you know theory, you can figure out the practical aspect using google and youtube.

Sir,I like what I’m doing now better....thanks for the advice though,I sincerely appreciate it
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 10:43pm On Feb 19, 2023
Bobbiee:
First problem: this setup doesn't work in urban settlements where most people live in flats and have to follow the rules of the landlord. Carrying in tank load of dirty stinky water definitely counts as breaking the rules. So it's only suited for house owners.

Second Problem: the electricity output especially based on the large volume of input doesn't make it a viable option in the least. Solid bio energy is even better but the power output is still low

Third Problem: a lot of Nigerians don't have the means to get the required equipment needed for this. How and where can we get the equipment to do this and is it something one can easily install in his backyard without any major technical know-how (seeing as this is a new technology, it's not something your average street technician would be able to do).

Basically, in all things, make it applicable to the fellow country man.
1. You don't need a tank laod of water to generate some electricity. It can be a small flow-through system where the water flows in and then out. Most home wastewater end up in gutters. If you can treat it and also get energy out of it, it is a good achievement.
2. The large volume input is wastewater. You are not buying it.
3. This is not meant for every nigeria. It is suitable only for people who have the zeal to figure it out. Most Nigerians are not like that. A simple MFC can be made from earthenware pots and pencil leads as the electrodes.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Chachangi: 10:45pm On Feb 19, 2023
Welldone OP

The technology has been in existence for over 100 years for the person who said it’s about 10 years old

The primary function of an MFC is to treat wastewater , the electricity generation is an added advantage. However, recent research has focused on improving electricity generation.

It has been used in urban and rural settings.

It promises to be a very good solution to the wastewater problems of Nigeria if harnessed
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 10:46pm On Feb 19, 2023
drimzsmoke:

Sir,I like what I’m doing now better....thanks for the advice though,I sincerely appreciate it
Welcome. Just that I dont like it when people spend years to study sth and at the end they just abandone it.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Nigra(f): 10:51pm On Feb 19, 2023
[quote author=Uniqueteco77 post=121054319]How do you expect me to read this long epistle
Like How?? undecided
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by drimzsmoke(m): 10:52pm On Feb 19, 2023
FarmTech:

Welcome. Just that I dont like it when people spend years to study sth and at the end they just abandone it.

I didn’t abandon it actually,I used it as a stepping stone and its knowledge also helped me somewhere along the line but I’d rather be what I am now than settle for being a microbiologist
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by damoobaba: 10:53pm On Feb 19, 2023
opeey:

What was the result, do you still pay for NEPA light?
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Originalsly: 10:54pm On Feb 19, 2023
JackDaAlienz:

Now
[b]Black man cry undecided angry
Even if God come down from Heaven and show black race the secret of technology to help them advance and live better, they will still fumble.

Know the true history and technologies developed by Africans instead of opening mouth and swallowing whatever the Whites pour down your throat. Isn't it Africans that built the Pyramids in Egypt centuries ago?.... that your technologically superior Whites to date can't figure out how it was built? ... let alone to replicate it? You have no clue how foolish and ignorant and self hating you sound when you make such a statement. There are many like you amongst us that somehow need to be banished. I don't even know why you would want to be in this forum .... Oreo.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Goddyrichie(m): 10:54pm On Feb 19, 2023
JackDaAlienz:
Now

Now I know why whites are more advanced in life and why Africans are selling their land just to travel abroad.
Tufiakwa!!
Someone is showing you priceless information and this is the trash you all can come up with??
are u not from d black race I like what u said but saying u black instead of we black make me vex
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Goodbadbowy419: 10:56pm On Feb 19, 2023
CaseSensitive:
Dirty water for sale
Idan 😂
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 10:57pm On Feb 19, 2023
drimzsmoke:

I didn’t abandon it actually,I used it as a stepping stone and its knowledge also helped me somewhere along the line but I’d rather be what I am now than settle for being a microbiologist
That is good then.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by DMCA: 10:57pm On Feb 19, 2023
Siofra, Jennyclay, Candidlady, Shalommy

Please keep the water you use to douche that stinky thing in-between your legs for me so that I can use it to generate electricity to power my neighbourhood.

I am begging you people... Biko
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Originalsly: 11:17pm On Feb 19, 2023
Not at all a tech guy .... but this reminds me some years back saw a documentary where an Indian ? guy developed a box with an inlet and outlet for water... the water ran over some kind of secret plates and produced a whole lot of electricity. The projected was funded by one of these billionaire investors. I remember FedEx was one of the first customers .... showed the office desk size generators lined up behind this huge plant. Never heard about the technology since. But I suspect the big generator corporations bought the technology.... buy out the competition. Now I am wondering if that was similar to this OP is talking about.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by bikefab(m): 11:43pm On Feb 19, 2023
Very educating.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by gard9ner(m): 11:47pm On Feb 19, 2023
CaseSensitive:
Dirty water for sale
Igbo amaka
Only an Igbo man can react this way. grin
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by gard9ner(m): 11:48pm On Feb 19, 2023
Mario619:
The fact that I was born without my permission annoys me. That Push! Push! shows I was forced to be here.😭
Na wa 4 u
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by KingMack(m): 12:11am On Feb 20, 2023
Abeg the story too long..make person quote me then give me summary
angry
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by nesphil(m): 12:25am On Feb 20, 2023
White man so na wetin concern Church and these people's comments here
I see, your problem is Church.

But know that that gate of hell shall not prevail as the Church of God is marching on.

JackDaAlienz:
Now
Even if God come down from Heaven and show black race the secret of technology to help them advance and live better, they will still fumble and give excuses

Tufiakwa!!
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by SolarEngr(m): 1:58am On Feb 20, 2023
FarmTech:

It is not just theory. It had been used to light up public toilets and charge mobile phones.

I meant this post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes / Man With Disability Manufactures Electric Bucket To Heat Water / Woman Kisses Two Lions In South Africa (VIDEO And Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.