Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes (22906 Views)

ChatGPT Will Soon Be Able To Generate Videos. / Tolani: Ekiti Boy Generates Electricity From 2 Stones To Power His Home / Scientists Revive 100 Million Year Old Ancient Microbes (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Bobbiee: 4:19am On Feb 20, 2023
FarmTech:

1. You don't need a tank laod of water to generate some electricity. It can be a small flow-through system where the water flows in and then out. Most home wastewater end up in gutters. If you can treat it and also get energy out of it, it is a good achievement.
2. The large volume input is wastewater. You are not buying it.
3. This is not meant for every nigeria. It is suitable only for people who have the zeal to figure it out. Most Nigerians are not like that. A simple MFC can be made from earthenware pots and pencil leads as the electrodes.

1. You still didn't address my point in (1).
2. My point in (2) where I talked about the low power output isn't addressed either
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by clinician2x: 4:47am On Feb 20, 2023
Na nairaland illiterares and stupid people u de teach electrolysis?
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Allanoba: 5:25am On Feb 20, 2023
FarmTech:
[b]2. Microbial Desalination Cell (MDC): [/b]Here, microbes are used to turn salty water into fresh, drinkable water. According to wikipedia, only 0.3% of the earth's water supply is usable for human consumption, while over 99% is sequestered by oceans, glaciers, brackish waters, and biomass. With MDC, these unusable water can be made fit for human use.
Nice
I work in a research organization I m really excited about what you are doin maybe we can share tots about certain things in future
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Mcbayo(m): 5:46am On Feb 20, 2023
Good work
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by jaytee01(m): 6:45am On Feb 20, 2023
DeJoeee:
Show us sample of your work

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Adakintroy: 6:58am On Feb 20, 2023
JackDaAlienz:
Now
Black man cry undecided angry
Even if God come down from Heaven and show black race the secret of technology to help them advance and live better, they will still fumble and give excuses

Now I know why whites are more advanced in life and why Africans are selling their land just to travel abroad.
Tufiakwa!!
Only thing you blacks do is to build churches up and down making pastors rich
Someone is showing you priceless information and this is the trash you all can come up with??

Not priceless. Na him know know him De show us.

If that thing is realistic. That guy for don run am blow himself. That na black man for you.

Aside if You coming to a third world under develops countries come with working practicality. Not with theories. We not educated to relate that way. you said it yourself. If we were that intelligent in the first place we will be Europeans .
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by harmargedon: 7:23am On Feb 20, 2023
WibusJaga:

OP would have been richer than Dangote if this was Economically Viable. cheesy
grin grin grin nah 2v em go dey generate

1 Like

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by NLegendforte: 7:59am On Feb 20, 2023
Quite innovative
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by WantsandMore: 8:41am On Feb 20, 2023
How many watts can this generate at a go?
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Orlatunday11(m): 8:59am On Feb 20, 2023
Pls do one ..,make we buy
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 9:02am On Feb 20, 2023
SolarEngr:

I meant this post.
Ok.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 9:07am On Feb 20, 2023
Bobbiee:

1. You still didn't address my point in (1).
2. My point in (2) where I talked about the low power output isn't addressed either
Flow through system minimize volume. The anode chamber that contains the dirty water is anaerobic, meaning it is enclose to prevent air from entering.
Yes the output is small, but you are reducing the harmful effect of wastewater while getting sth out of it.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 9:07am On Feb 20, 2023
Allanoba:

Nice
I work in a research organization I m really excited about what you are doin maybe we can share tots about certain things in future
I sent you a PM.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 9:32am On Feb 20, 2023
WantsandMore:
How many watts can this generate at a go?
By connecting the outputs in parrallel and series, you can boost the power. The li k below said that 1 kW/m3 (reactor volume) has been achieved. But there are still challenges for commercialization. But that doesn't mean that an individual cannot produce and use it comfortably. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780323907651000174

1 Like

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 9:34am On Feb 20, 2023
Adakintroy:

Aside if You coming to a third world under develops countries come with working practicality. Not with theories. We not educated to relate that way. you said it yourself. If we were that intelligent in the first place we will be Europeans .
Do you know that whites were once undeveloped?
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by WantsandMore: 9:43am On Feb 20, 2023
FarmTech:

By connecting the outputs in parrallel and series, you can boost the power. The li k below said that 1 kW/m3 (reactor volume) has been achieved. But there are still challenges for commercialization. But that doesn't mean that an individual cannot produce and use it comfortably. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780323907651000174
hmmm interesting ๐Ÿค”
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by realhovaps(m): 10:09am On Feb 20, 2023
MajorOvakporaye:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

Share same native name grin.

Wait!!!

You're females? shocked

We need to talk, this is quite hilarious sent you a mail,
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by opeey(m): 10:38am On Feb 20, 2023
FarmTech:

Interesting. Can you remember the result you got (voltage and current)? Which electrodes did you use?

I can't remember the kind of electrode used then.. in the first practical we did we got about 7volts using a small chamber
The second practicing we got about 11volts.
The third practical we got about 16 volts.
Though we used different materials
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by opeey(m): 10:41am On Feb 20, 2023
damoobaba:

What was the result, do you still pay for NEPA light?

It was a school project then.
My conclusion then is that you need alot of microorganisms to get my volts. You can do this by breeding microbes๐Ÿฆ 
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Bobbiee: 10:52am On Feb 20, 2023
FarmTech:

Flow through system minimize volume. The anode chamber that contains the dirty water is anaerobic, meaning it is enclose to prevent air from entering.
Yes the output is small, but you are reducing the harmful effect of wastewater while getting sth out of it.

You're not very good at explaining things, are you huh?
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by opeey(m): 10:57am On Feb 20, 2023
My project report. FarmTech

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Flamemignon1(m): 11:55am On Feb 20, 2023
Mario619:
The fact that I was born without my permission annoys me. That Push! Push! shows I was forced to be here.๐Ÿ˜ญ
You can sue your parents for it. It's legal in the states
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by ManIzHot: 12:55pm On Feb 20, 2023
FarmTech:
The anode can be made from graphite, carbon brush (best), carbon cloth, carbon veil, stainless steel mesh etc. The cathode can be made from activated carbon (AC), modified activated carbon, AC mixed with polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) and pasted on a stainless steel mesh, carbon black, carbon black modified with aerogel, carbon nanotubes (CNT), carbon nanofibers (CNF) graphene etc. Don't let these names scare you though. Some of them are quite simple to obtain. For example, you can use the lead in pencil as graphite. You can make activated carbon by treating charcoal with chemicals like lemon juice, bleach, potassium hydroxide, calcium chloride, phosphoric acid etc.

What happens in a MFC is that microbes attached to the anode surface will eat organic matters and produce:

1. Carbon dioxide (CO2)
2. hydrogen ions H+ and
3. electrons.

The electrons will flow externally from anode to the cathode as follows: from the microbes to the anode; anode to copper wire; copper wire to the load and load to the cathode. This electron flow generate electricity that powers the load.

Internally, the hydrogen ions will flow to the cathode chamber through the separating membrane where it will combine with electrons and oxygen to form water.

One disadvantage of microbial fuel cell (MFC) is their low power output. A MFC with a 1 square meter anode surface area will produce only about 0.4 miliwatt depending on the type and components used. You need about 1 watt (1000 miliwatt) to light up a high power LED light. So a MFC needed to light up this LED will need to have an anode surface area of about 2500 square meter (Roughly one-third of a football field!). But there is hope due to new scientific advances that have been made after years of research. By using specially made electrodes and more effective configurations, power output have been boosted (up to 2 watts per square meter!). By connecting the output of many MFC in series or parallel, MFCs have been successfully used to power LED lights and even charge mobile phones.

Pic of 1w Led
Pic of series parallel

Soil-based microbial fuel cells
In this type of MFC, the anode is buried few centimeters in the soil while the cathode rest on top of the soil (or it is slightly buried), and is exposed to air. The soil must be wet and rich in organic matters like dead leaves, manure etc.

This is great resource here, thanks for this, I might contact you for further clarification
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by buzmanjohn(m): 2:28pm On Feb 20, 2023
Comrade ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
mjuvey3:
Can a blinker of electricity generated from this method roast a corn?

Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by herbalwisdom52(m): 5:47pm On Feb 20, 2023
There is a technology that can charge your phones battery in less than 5 seconds.....

But science wont tell or show you this.....

But i know it
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by sylve11: 6:00pm On Feb 20, 2023
Nostring:
undecided do one make we see am.. no dey post bunch of theories embarassed

grin cool
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 8:59pm On Feb 20, 2023
Bobbiee:

You're not very good at explaining things, are you huh?
Are my not trying? What didnt you understand there?
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 9:00pm On Feb 20, 2023
opeey:
My project report. FarmTech
Nice. Can you get the electrode material from it?
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by FarmTech(m): 9:03pm On Feb 20, 2023
ManIzHot:

This is great resource here, thanks for this, I might contact you for further clarification
Wlcm.
Re: How To Generate Electricity From Dirty Water Using Microbes by Tobyrichard: 7:19pm On Feb 21, 2023
Thazard1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

9 Of The World's Most Bizarre Snakes / Man With Disability Manufactures Electric Bucket To Heat Water / Woman Kisses Two Lions In South Africa (VIDEO And Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.