Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,659 members, 7,827,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey (17217 Views)

Meet Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Halima / Dangote Is Africa's First $20 Billion Man, Now 25th World Richest! / Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by gabu4u1(m): 1:24pm On Sep 01, 2007
@Skintom77 and other anti-Dangote

the man has made his money u are hear shouting hulabaloo. instead of u guys thinking how u can make ur own money u are busy castigating someone who has struggle to make his impact. even if he had 'pallied' the govt to get to where he is now, he had a good beginning. na moinmoin to fit pally govt? and concerning his social responsibility he has contributed to a lot of other causes that may not have been made public. even if he no contribute no be him struggle for him money? let us stop this Robin Hood mentality of the taking from the rich for the poor. let the poor seek a way of getting his own money. Dangote no hold anybody leg to get their own money. enough space dey for everybody.

@easimoni

God go bless u. na the kind person i wan de read from be this.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Koboland(f): 1:40pm On Sep 01, 2007
The Thread is bout who is Richer,
Not who contributes most to society
and someone hear was even of the view that it is only in Nigeria where ppl are favour by Govt
Oprah is not the Most quallifed show presenter in the US why she come dey make that kain money?

Bottomline is,
YOU NEED CONNECTIONS to make it, Divine,Govt or whatever you need it plus a lil skill effort nad finance
Its alll about been oportuned Peoples!!
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by KnowAll(m): 2:21pm On Sep 01, 2007
have anybody heard the scandal in britain recently cash for peerage during blairs years in dowing street, connection to goverment happens everywhere, so kudos to dangote, make him buy fulham from fayed abeg
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by doyin13(m): 2:59pm On Sep 01, 2007
@knowall

well the connection to government in Britain is not quite the same

With the monopoly which some few people have to Aso Rock and state houses in Naija
they would be enough anti trust suits to make a phalanx of barristers happy
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by tundewoods(m): 3:05pm On Sep 01, 2007

@Dangote Haters
The poor hate poor, poor hate the rich,the rich hate the poor and even the rich hate the rich.
Why all the hate.

@ Know all

I guess it wont be a bad idea at all if Dangote decides to buy Fulham from Fayed.
Well lets leave that thread for another day  grin
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by KnowAll(m): 3:12pm On Sep 01, 2007
@doyin13

the connection of abromvich, kodoukosky and a few others to the yeltsin regime in russia made the diffrence. so na the same my brother, conection na conection.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by ochiaha1(m): 3:37pm On Sep 01, 2007
@Poster,thank you for the thread.

I have always told anti-Dangote people that if we have about four Dangotes, that our economy will leap from a third world economy to a first world one as The US did in the late 19th century when it overtook Europe as the world economic power because it had men like Rockefella, Chase, Thomas Edison and Henry Ford.

The men mentioned above from the US believed in free enterprise and sought to enthrone the consumer as king by mass producing goods at rock bottom prices.This decision led to wealth and affluence in the American society as the enterpreneuers impacted on the American society through their individual effort, for example, Henry Ford decided to build a car which everyone could afford .

Dangote has impacted positively on Nigerian lives through providing employment, reducing the amount spent on foreign exchange through production of goods locally and also earning foreign exchange through export of such locally produced goods.

Dangote should be encouraged to do more rather than be villified for his great wealth cool
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by ochiaha1(m): 3:44pm On Sep 01, 2007

I have always told anti-Dangote people that if we have about four Dangotes, that our economy will leap from a third world economy to a first world one, as The US did in the late 19th century when it overtook Europe as the world economic power because it had men like Rockefella, Chase, Thomas Edison and Henry Ford.

The men mention above, who were US citizens, believed in free enterprise and sought to enthrone the consumer as king by mass producing goods at rock bottom prices.This decision led to wealth and affluence in the American society as the enterpreneuers impacted on the American society through their individual effort, for example, Henry Ford decided to build a car which everyone could afford .

Dangote has impacted positively on Nigerian lives through providing employment, saving of foreign exchange reserves through producing locally and is trying to bring down further the price of commodities like cement, flour and PMS fuel (though he was misunderstood in his purchase of the Refineries).

Dangote should be encouraged to do further good and not villified because of his wealth. cool
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by oge4real(f): 6:06pm On Sep 01, 2007
Hmn, certainly the rich is getting richer nd the poor getting poorer and more children lipsrsealed
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Coleslove: 7:03pm On Sep 01, 2007
Hilarious trend

Hmm, , , Some make the News and some tell the News. embarassed embarassed embarassed

There are players and there are spectators. embarassed embarassed embarassed

I will be counting on some you guys to help discuss about my fame in some years from now. watch out ok. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Catch me there if you can. Whistling while working
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by justme3(m): 7:08pm On Sep 01, 2007
i dnt understand this brouhaha about who is richer
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Purist(m): 10:24pm On Sep 01, 2007
easimoni made a very cogent point in the last paragraph his post.  GL also made a very crucial point, which I earnestly await to be tackled by any of the Dangote-haters.

I've observed that whenever there is a comparism between the wealth of these two billionaires, the Dangote-haters are always so quick to point out the "good works" of Oprah (that they sadly think is deficient in the character of Dangote), which is completely impertinent to the issue at hand.

Take note:  We're discussing their wealth, not philanthropy.

Even then, what makes the Dangote-haters so sure that Dangote isn't more philanthropic than Oprah?  Just because one doesn't publicize his goodwill doesn't make the one who does, any better.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by adconline(m): 11:23pm On Sep 01, 2007
This is another farce like Ovation telling gullible minded Nigerians that they have got billionaires. I got a question for you; would believe Newswatch or Tell Magazine or this mushroom magazine? What is the readership of this magazine in Nigeria for it carry this type of story? How credible is this newsletter? What was the methodology they used to compute these figures?
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by joeycrack: 12:52am On Sep 02, 2007
ochi-aha:

I have always told anti-Dangote people that if we have about four Dangotes, that our economy will leap from a third world economy to a first world one as The US did in the late 18th century when it overtook Europe as the world economic power because it had men like Rockefella, Chase, Thomas Edison and Henry Ford.

The men mention above from the US believed in free enterprise and sought to enthrone the consumer as king by mass producing goods at rock bottom prices.This decision led to wealth and affluence in the American society as the enterpreneuers impacted on the American society through their individual effort, for example, Henry Ford decided to build a car which everyone could afford .

Dangote has impacted positively on Nigerian lives through providing employment

@ochi-aha
God bless u, u took the words out of my mouth. I was about to site the example of John D. Rockefeller and Henry ford and co. in the late 19th century and early 20th century, the same thing is happening in Nigeria it is only a century late. Nigeria would see a massive economic if we have more of the Dangotes, Adenugas, Jimoh Ibrahim and so on.

@the haters
Without connections you cant succeed fully in business. Ask Buffet,Rockefeller their connections wit the american govt, abrahimovic and the new bred of billionaires in russia how they made money,the new richest guy(carlos slim) his connections with the mexican govt. These type of favouritismsand grants are necessary wen u want an economy to grow especially in a country in nigeria were people show a great deal of aparthy. thats my 2 cents.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by beetintin(m): 1:06am On Sep 02, 2007
take am easy adc,

I'm a subscriber of Networth and they are no mushroom Mag. They provide quality
info for entrepreneurs. It is better you get a copy for yourself than start rambling here.

I am holding a copy of the recent edition trying to see how they arrived at the worh of
this 20 Richest Black Entrepreneurs, but nothing was said about that. In all their articles
about this individuals, they always finish with "he/she is estimated to be worth $, b"

I'm not sure this is a thread for bashing or whatever but the truth is that the richest
person is one that has put a lot of smile on people's faces. Within yourself conclude
who has done that the most and no point for arguement or whatever.

As some have mentioned, when I went through the list, I asked myself if Dangote and
Adenuga are worth this much, then what will be the worth of their godfathers? Quite
much more but I thank God no one will ever celebrate them like they are doing to their
offsprings.

To say the truth, i was touched by a part in Dangote's story and let me quote it here:

"From a humble beginning in 1977, Dangote started a one-man trading business and sales
of building materials from money given to him by his Uncle."

Let's face the fact, Dangote got into the circle he is today not by luck but all because he
choose to start something when most of his mates cannot even figure out what to do
with their lives. At the age of 20, he started the business and the truth is that with
persistence, he would even have gotten to where he is today.

I know of people who started businesses after him and are Multi Millionaires now.

As I have learnt, luck is when opportunity meets hard work! wink

Learn from this man and start something today. You never can tell where you will be
20 years from today wink

kiss kiss kiss
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by A40(m): 3:59am On Sep 02, 2007
This guy is not far from the truth
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Christino(m): 8:49am On Sep 02, 2007
Hmmn,

Reminds me of Maryam Abacha's comments on the Abacha loot. She said about her last child (the "abisoye" of the family). . .

"Even if the government retrieves all the funds abroad, this small boy can never be AS POOR AS DANGOTE ever again!"

I strongly believe we do not know the richest Nigerians. By the way, I was expecting to hear Abacha, Babangida, Fernandez, Akande, where them dey? grin

@ Dangote haters and Oprah arse-kissers,

Dangote has created more jobs from nigerians than Oprah and has touched my life more than Oprah has done, how on earth does Oprah's wealth affect me? And if Aliko dies, business continues as usual, if Oprah pai today, shey na her Grandma go continue to dey touch my life? grin (Out of point but that's another fact! wink)
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by dj4wealth: 5:27pm On Sep 02, 2007
Oprah herself knows that Aliko Dangot is richer than her. So, why the hard feelings by Dangote Haters?

Even Mike Adenuga is richer than her. We have more people who are richer than Oprah here in Nigeria.

Its all about Western World Conspiracy,

UP NIGERIA!!!
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by zukkie4eva(f): 9:59am On Sep 03, 2007
Why are we breaking our heads over other people's onions , Work hard to make ur own billions and affect your world positively.

It is easy to point fingers at them and say they are not doing enough for the society. Wait till u become half as rich as them and see if u'd do any better. undecided
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by gentlegg(m): 12:41pm On Sep 03, 2007
Please let's tell ourselves the truth:
I have no qualms with the guy Dangote and his purported billions.
Dangote group is a business empire with some invisible, hidden, secret and silent core owners with the man Aliko Dangote only visible.
Believe it or not, Dangote group is largely co-owned by some dubious ex-military leaders, that have bullied any potential competitor off from Dangote gold-laid route of business. Decrees have been redecreed just to garnish Dangote's business. Dangote sugar, Dangote floor, cement, macronie, salt and soon Dangote Nigeria (if care is not taken).
Abeg dat is riches but not wealth, ill-gotten riches, riches detrimental to others. Is he the only one dat knows how to do business succesfully in Nigeria?.
Why is he not listed in Forbes list of 100 wealthiest guys in the world? Simply because Oyibos don't recognise dat type of his own riches.

Oprah is far more valued than this Dangote guy.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Seun(m): 12:44pm On Sep 03, 2007
Are you saying a Nigerian cannot become as rich as Oprah without being corrupt? undecided
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by gentlegg(m): 12:50pm On Sep 03, 2007
Seun, I didn't say so
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by bencobenz(m): 4:52pm On Sep 03, 2007
I'm looking forward to the day Nigerians will be proud of themselves.
This guy has been rated the 6th richest black man, we should be proud
that he is a Nigerian. Besides, he has created jobs for a lot of people directly
and indirectly. So lets stop criticizing. sad
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by sofadj(m): 8:16pm On Sep 03, 2007
I think it doesnt matter how much one is worth; what really mAtters is how much one has added into people's lives.
Aliko Dangote acquired most of his wealth through dubious deals and processes but oprah winfrey can point at her source of wealth,

build ur treasures in heaven
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Christino(m): 8:40pm On Sep 03, 2007
bencobenz:

I'm looking forward to the day Nigerians will be proud of themselves.
This guy has been rated the 6th richest black man, we should be proud
that he is a Nigerian. Besides, he has created jobs for a lot of people directly
and indirectly. So lets stop criticizing. sad

That's what Oprah won't do for peeps! cheesy
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by tundewoods(m): 6:43am On Sep 04, 2007
gentlegg:

Please let's tell ourselves the truth:
I have no qualms with the guy Dangote and his purported billions.
Dangote group is a business empire with some invisible, hidden, secret and silent core owners with the man Aliko Dangote only visible.
Believe it or not, Dangote group is largely co-owned by some dubious ex-military leaders, that have bullied any potential competitor off from Dangote gold-laid route of business. Decrees have been redecreed just to garnish Dangote's business. Dangote sugar, Dangote floor, cement, macronie, salt and soon Dangote Nigeria (if care is not taken).
Abeg that is riches but not wealth, ill-gotten riches, riches detrimental to others. Is he the only one that knows how to do business succesfully in Nigeria?.
Why is he not listed in Forbes list of 100 wealthiest guys in the world? Simply because Oyibos don't recognise that type of his own riches.

Oprah is far more valued than this Dangote guy.

@ gentelegg
Sometimes we Nigerians just utter pure gibberish all in the name of freedom of speech.

From you last sentence you claim that Oprah is much more valued that Dongote.

I laugh a loud at your ignorance and can deduce this about you.I am sure you are a young naive and un informed person that has not even started buying shares and stocks.Because if you where you would not utter such a empty barreled statment.Go ask stock brokers on the NSE and they will tell you what Dangote Sugar means on the stock exchange.

However you may prove me wrong by showing me your Oprah's Harpo Media Stock options on the Newyork stock exchange,I'm certain you don't. So how on earth does she add value to you apart from watching her gullible TV show
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Ndipe(m): 7:20am On Sep 04, 2007
To the poster who wrote that Oprah knows that Dangote is richer than she is, how can you be sure that Oprah even knows who Dangote is? And even if Dangote is richer than Oprah, what difference does this make in your day to day life?
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by onyekang1(f): 11:24am On Sep 04, 2007
@zukkie4eva

TRUE TALK

@ Seun

ABSOLUTELY! no nigerian can acquire all dat wealth witout bn corrupt at some point
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by gas213(m): 6:00pm On Sep 04, 2007
The way i see it , we've got JD Rockafella, Lakshmi Mittal, Rupert Murdoch, Sam Walton, Bill Gates and em, Aliko Dangote.

These are entrepreneurs who create wealth and employ thousands of people either directly or indirectly, irrespective of where they are and the challenges they may face,

They make major decisions, take risks and are concerned about things like bottom line, profit margin, stock price, market indices. etc

On the other side we've got, Larry King, Jay Leno, David Letterman, Oprah Winfrey, etc

These are talk show hosts/entertainers who have the ability to appeal to peoples emotions and affect the way people think, and ultimately influence society,

They are concerned with crime, sexuality, morality, etc and sometimes they make a lot of money from this because of the power of the Media,

what exactly are we comparing? embarassed
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by gentlegg(m): 9:59am On Sep 05, 2007
@ Tundewoods

Do u ever think of the contextual meaning of my statement?
So the only yardstick of checking the VALUE of somebody is how much shares he / she has?
So the english word "Value" is now synonymous with Shares?

U must be Ndi-okereke Oyiuke of NSE to tell us Dangote Shares Value. And am sure u don't even know whether Oprah has a single unit of share any where in the world let alone knowing her own share value.

Dear I just hate folks like you that just insult others blindly like kids, this is a forum, you can only CONSTRUCTIVELY argue one's opinion here and not to insult, okay!

Even world class intellectuals never insult even a foolish man's intellect, they only correct
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by tundewoods(m): 12:20pm On Sep 05, 2007
[font=Trebuchet MS ]@gentlegg

Sorry about my rather cold post,i apologize.

One Luv

[/font]
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by gentlegg(m): 5:25pm On Sep 05, 2007
@Tundewoods

No qualms, ur welcome

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Folorunsho Alakija Covers July Edition Of Today's Woman Magazine / Sugar: Dangote Can Do More, BUA Has Not Done Enough - Chika Mbonu / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.