Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,423 members, 7,826,651 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey (17215 Views)

Meet Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Halima / Dangote Is Africa's First $20 Billion Man, Now 25th World Richest! / Folorunsho Alakija Surpasses Oprah Winfrey As Richest Black Woman In The World! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by 4Play(m): 1:53am On Mar 08, 2008
I don't think such a person even exists.Even assessing wealth in Nigeria is a near impossible task.Most billionaires of that age in the West tend to be "tech-entrepreneurs" like Mark Zuckerberg

Our tech industry is not that buoyant so I can't see how else a 23 year old living in Nigeria could acquire 1.2bn Naira unless it was inherited.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 1:55am On Mar 08, 2008
4 Play:

I don't think such a person even exists.Even assessing wealth in Nigeria is a near impossible task.Most billionaires of that age in the West tend to be "tech-entrepreneurs" like Mark Zuckerberg

Our tech industry is not that buoyant so I can't see how else a 23 year old living in Nigeria could acquire 1.2bn Naira unless it was inherited.

I thought your other post meant Nigerian sports pros are being paid millions. I don't know much about the Other dangote man but I would like to understand how someone can live and do business in Nigeria and own that much money. Where does he live?? What is his record?? I mean how did he get to 3.3 billion in a country like Nigeria?? People like Babangida and the other thieves have tried for years to do this but they did not make it and lo and behold, a man who was only a couple of years ago, a potential unknown in the Nigeria NAME circle, did it.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by damola1: 2:19am On Mar 08, 2008
hew!!!!!!!!!!!, you guys need to get out of the dark, I think you guys forget nigerians are respected for being the smartest in the world of crooks and if only that energy could be put to use on a positive note, it could produce the most outstanding result.

well, the story goes thus, he is based in lagos, he started his entrepreneurial drive when he was just 16, by the time he's 20, he's already running on millions, he runs a retailing outfit in lagos, meanwhile I should add he's never left the shores of Nigeria, though he's smart enough to own companies in different part of the world, imports etc, blah blah blah,

I know this story because I know him in person, and I think when he's ready he'll come out to shut you doubting thomases who expect nothing good to come out of such a great country.

I tell you, Nigeria is great, and he's not into sports nor entertainment , however I can say he utilizes technology.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 2:21am On Mar 08, 2008
damola1:

hew!!!!!!!!!!!, you guys need to get out of the dark, I think you guys forget nigerians are respected for being the smartest in the world of crooks and if only that energy could be put to use on a positive note, it could produce the most outstanding result.

well, the story goes thus, he is based in lagos, he started his entrepreneurial drive when he was just 16, by the time he's 20, he's already running on millions, he runs a retailing outfit in lagos, meanwhile I should add he's never left the shores of Nigeria, though he's smart enough to own companies in different part of the world, imports etc, blah blah blah,

I know this story because I know him in person, and I think when he's ready he'll come out to shut you doubting thomases who expect nothing good to come out of such a great country.

I tell you, Nigeria is great, and he's not into sports nor entertainment , however I can say he utilizes technology.

YEAH YEAH!!! Till he comes out to reveal what he does, maybe you should shut up about him then. You said it yourself many nigerians do use their skills for crime and till you can show otherwise, do not fault people for wondering. Even Babangida and Obasanjo have people who continue to VOUCH for their "HONESTY" to this day !!!
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by damola1: 2:23am On Mar 08, 2008
plus, he never inherited it, nor did he steal it!!!!, plus he's never been linked to Government, simply entrepreneurial drive,
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 2:24am On Mar 08, 2008
damola1:

plus, he never inherited it, nor did he steal it!!!!, plus he's never been linked to Government, simply entrepreneurial drive,

I think I have read some other people say the same of Obasanjo and even of Babangida, dude, maybe you should be more willing to explain more of your friends stand or just accept that as long as people do not have an idea, it is natural to be suspicious
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by damola1: 2:27am On Mar 08, 2008
ohhhhhhhhh, you are so so jealous!!!!

crazy guy!!!, listen, 1.2B is nothing at 23, if you started the race at 16!!!!, 7yrs ain't no joke! plus I forgot to add, he dropped out of Unilag to stay on afloat,

relax, but this is very true, I mean, not a made up story, a true, damn true story, believe it enough to inspire you to achieve greatness,
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by damola1: 2:31am On Mar 08, 2008
I think I have read some other people say the same of Obasanjo and even of Babangida, dude, maybe you should be more willing to explain more of your friends stand or just accept that as long as people do not have an idea, it is natural to be suspicious

Well, he's the only one with the right to tell his story as I have noticed he's very quiet, however, that don't mean it shouldn't be hinted that, as huge as Nigeria is, we don't have young people, trying and making things work, he should be noted and possibly in the future recognized!!!
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 2:32am On Mar 08, 2008
damola1:

ohhhhhhhhh, you are so so jealous!!!!

crazy guy!!!, listen, 1.2B is nothing at 23, if you started the race at 16!!!!, 7yrs ain't no joke! plus I forgot to add, he dropped out of Unilag to stay on afloat,

relax, but this is very true, I mean, not a made up story, a true, damn true story, believe it enough to inspire you to achieve greatness,

uuummm,  do you mind be mature with this. 1. 2B Naira is nothing for a 23 year old in, say, South Africa or Egypt, who started the race at 16. But 1.2B Naira in Nigeria for anyone is sure to raise eyeballs, regardless of age or height or trade. I do not know about you or if you follow the trend in that country much, but to expect people to believe you just cause you say something is not really a good policy when it comes to living in the real world. So, like I said earlier, let your friend, when he is ready, boast of his 1.2BN and he better be ready for the questions that people will ask and the suspicions. You on the otherhand, since it does not seem that you are willing to answer questions about your friends wealth and source should maybe not speak much about it. And I am not joking at all. I am actually very serious as I type this. If you are not willing to reveal much about this sort of things, maybe best stay clear and accept that in a country like Nigeria, that sort of Number raises serious suspicions.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by TheSly: 2:40am On Mar 08, 2008
Good to know. . cool
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by damola1: 2:44am On Mar 08, 2008
Listen man, Dangote was only recognised by forbes a few days back, does that mean he's not bagged in the $Bs,  years back,  certainly not!!!

My point is not to attract attention to Adeola's unusual greatness, in a country that it's scare, I sure have tried to make him understand he needs to come out someday.

However, my point is that, if a Nigerian, who is based in Lagos, not running up and down all over europe or north america or asia to look for money, can hit $3.3B, and be noted as the biggest black boy of them all,  and no matter what you people try to say about dangote conniving with govt. and stuff like that, I will say, ask bill gates why he's not released the codes for windows all these years, if you think that's fair to competition or why EU slammed Microsoft with $Bs in penalty for unfair competition, and you should ask apple why they chose to lock iphone to att, 02 network, --there's always politics in business, period!!!,  govt. policies affect businesses, therefore, people in business will continue to affect govt. then, certainly there's an Adeola out there who at 23, as hit 9zeros,

Believe it or not, if you can dream it, you can achieve it, thats the point, dangote did it, Adeola did it, you can do it, lagos, or no lagos!!!,
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 2:47am On Mar 08, 2008
damola1:

Listen man, Dangote was only recognised by forbes a few days back, does that mean he's not bagged in the $Bs, years back, certainly not!!!

My point is not to attract attention to Adeola's unusual greatness, in a country that it's scare, I sure have tried to make him understand he needs to come out someday.

However, my point is that, if a Nigerian, who is based in Lagos, not running up and down all over europe or north america or asia to look for money, can hit $3.3B, and be noted as the biggest black boy of them all, and no matter what you people try to say about dangote conniving with govt. and stuff like that, I will say, ask bill gates why he's not released the codes for windows all these years, if you think that's fair to competition or why EU slammed Microsoft with $Bs in penalty for unfair competition, and you should ask apple why they chose to lock iphone to att, 02 network, --there's always politics in business, period!!!, govt. policies affect businesses, therefore, people in business will continue to affect govt. then, certainly there's an Adeola out there who at 23, as hit 9zeros,

After reading the highlighted lines in your post, I now serious suspect you as a person. For you to go so far as to post those as defense for your side is just it for me, If you are the ADEOLA you speak of, goodluck with your accumulating of wealth and leave me to my suspicions.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by damola1: 2:49am On Mar 08, 2008
whatever!
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by hbrednic: 3:36am On Mar 08, 2008
@kobojunkie,
liberate yourself from jealousy,so that you can one day become somebody in life.

DANGOTE AND ADEOLA ARE BILLION DOLLARS GENTLEMEN,FOR YOUR INFORMATION THE ARE NIGERIANS
TAKE OR LEAVE IT.
WATCH OUT FOR THE NEXT FORBES LIST,MANY NIGERIAN NAMES WILL BE STARRING YOU IN THE FACE.

ask god to give you your own and stop been jealous  grin grin grin
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:14am On Mar 08, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I thought your other post meant Nigerian sports pros are being paid millions. I don't know much about the Other dangote man but I would like to understand how someone can live and do business in Nigeria and own that much money. Where does he live?? What is his record?? I mean how did he get to 3.3 billion in a country like Nigeria?? People like Babangida and the other thieves have tried for years to do this but they did not make it and lo and behold, a man who was only a couple of years ago, a potential unknown in the Nigeria NAME circle, did it.

1. Dangote was not an unkown a couple years ago
2. Babangida is probably the richest man in Africa(easily worth 5 billion USD) but Forbes does not rate thieves
3. And Dangote got to that position with brute entrepreneurial abilities
4. Dangote owns many monopolies/oligopolies maybe you should familiarize yourself with them
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 9:04pm On Mar 08, 2008
hbrednic:

@kobojunkie,
liberate yourself from jealousy,so that you can one day become somebody in life.

DANGOTE AND ADEOLA ARE BILLION DOLLARS GENTLEMEN,FOR YOUR INFORMATION THE ARE NIGERIANS
TAKE OR LEAVE IT.
WATCH OUT FOR THE NEXT FORBES LIST,MANY NIGERIAN NAMES WILL BE STARRING YOU IN THE FACE.

ask god to give you your own and stop been jealous grin grin grin

So this to you all is more about claiming Nigeria has billionaires regardles or how the wealth is gotten?? I am sure God already knows my heart and that this has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Jealousy but using the very brain he gave me to look at things as they should be. The problem in Nigeria today is people run off in the mouth without using the very brain and intelligence that God gave them first and next we start crying to God for help. Please learn to use your God given brain even in this.

JosBoy4Lif:

1. Dangote was not an unkown a couple years ago
2. Babangida is probably the richest man in Africa(easily worth 5 billion USD) but Forbes does not rate thieves
3. And Dangote got to that position with brute entrepreneurial abilities
4. Dangote owns many monopolies/oligopolies maybe you should familiarize yourself with them

I am sorry but I am not moved when it comes to how many billionaires Nigeria has or does not have. Actually Dangote was an unknown for most of the 90's. I did not even hear of him until obasanjo came into the picture and it turns out the man has been in business since something in the 70's or 80's according to what I was told. For your statement on babangida, what good is it if a man is a billionaire and more than half of his fortune was acquired by him stealing from people like your parents and your own children?? Are we simply to rejoice cause the man is a Billionaire and made forbes lists according to your thinking?? I don't get it. Am I seriously the shallow one here?? I am more of a Nigerian who would rejoice more if we had no billionaires but had more people who were able to afford good clean water to drink and cook with and a place to live and a good job to fend for their families with. I really do not give a hoot if Nigeria has 20,000 billionaires or 1, I do not rejoice over such things as to me it is not smething work celebrating. I only asked how someone can become a billionaire in Nigeria at the age of 23 and I am yet to get substantial information on the man himself but I have had more teenagers attack me for asking questions, something I am not suprised still happens in Nigeria. SIGH!!! I pray for the day we all wake up to using our heads more and less of running off in the mouth before we think
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:38am On Mar 09, 2008
@ Kobo

I am merely stating facts.
You said that Dangote has been known for a couple of years now you have reverted to saying he has been in the game since the 70's.
Secondly you should not that the more LEGIT Billionaires there are in Nigeria the better the economy is. As you may have noticed over 250 of the names on that list come from the united sates. Do you know how many jobs this great men and women have created in the united states? It would be irrational to think that LEGIT billionaires are not good for the economy. Dangote has created many jobs in Nigeria, good jobs that pay well. Now unfortunately in this capitalist world that we live billionaires are part of the equation if we to actually help in the distribution. It has to be someones business to employ. There is no 23 year old billionaire in Nigeria, millionaires yes, unless we are talking about Naira than okay. But of course I do sympathise with what you are saying regarding poverty in Nigeria, it is an immense problem. Maybe 20,000 billionaires would be able to fix without a shadow of a doubt wink
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 6:19am On Mar 09, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

@ Kobo

I am merely stating facts.
You said that Dangote has been known for a couple of years now you have reverted to saying he has been in the game since the 70's.
Secondly you should not that the more LEGIT Billionaires there are in Nigeria the better the economy is. As you may have noticed over 250 of the names on that list come from the united sates. Do you know how many jobs this great men and women have created in the united states? It would be irrational to think that LEGIT billionaires are not good for the economy. Dangote has created many jobs in Nigeria, good jobs that pay well. Now unfortunately in this capitalist world that we live billionaires are part of the equation if we to actually help in the distribution. It has to be someones business to employ. There is no 23 year old billionaire in Nigeria, millionaires yes, unless we are talking about Naira than okay. But of course I do sympathise with what you are saying regarding poverty in Nigeria, it is an immense problem. Maybe 20,000 billionaires would be able to fix without a shadow of a doubt wink

No where in my statement above have I stated that Dangote was unknown forever. He was unknown to many even I in that country until Obasanjo came in and boom,  his name came in the limelights. I am not sure you understand what it means when someone says another was an unknown until a couple of years ago. Please ask what it means to understand exactly what I meant and why it applies in this case.

No economy on this planet depends on the number of billionaires it is able to produce. It is possible to have billionaires in a country and have the economy remain in terrible horrible shape still, that has nothing to do with anything. The very fact that over 250 of the names on the list come from America and the fact that the USA is experiencing serious recessions ought to be number one clue for you and anyone else who attaches number of billionaires in a country to economy of a country. Billionaires can work for the good of an economy or even against it depending on what side they would like to play. I mean if you are going to tell me that if a country has 250 billionaires who invest their money in another country and spend it outside of their country, they do the economy of their home country good, then I suggest we go back to the drawing board and try to understand what it means to have an economy. Case study- Mexico with about 10 billionaires all worth about 100 BILLION dollars.

Dangote may be a billionaire, I do not have inside information to decide if his wealth is legit or not. Infact for the fact that he is in Nigeria, I seriously doubt that it is and I wait for evidence to prove otherwise. But if he is able to create jobs for people; good jobs, then great but I can not force him to create jobs or use his money to improce the economy and I think it would be unwise for any Nigeria to EXPECT him to do so and so place the fate of the people in his hands when his money is not ours. There is nothing wrong with Capitalism as long as it belongs to you fair and square and one thing I love about it is that it is yours to decide what you will do with it or not.  Nothing unfortunate about that. I do not expect the man to spend his money on the poor in the country. Matter of fact, if he does not already do that, then there is nothing anyone can do to force him to do it. You have to remember, he did not become a billionaire yesterday. I am guessing he has been a billionaire for about 5 years now or even 10 and if he has not seen fit to invest any amount of that money in helping people or building Nigeria, I doubt he will want to start today cause he is on forbes list.

I stress again, having a billionaire or 1000 does not an economy change.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by kobe(m): 6:52am On Mar 09, 2008
aremu dangote, with his 2.5+ more in cash, still isn't half the man oprah winfrey is.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by DesmondO1: 3:28pm On Mar 09, 2008
Hello folks, you may have heard about networking or maybe you got involved in an mlm or hyip that failed-Not to worry, because this is not an mlm or hyip! It's NETWORKING. Well the good news is that there are other better ways of making money through internet marketing and networking that won't eat much out of your pockect and would infact fetch you lots of money.

Check out this great legal business opportunity{QuickSmart Program} i found online- you could make over N500,000 just through networking! And the great thing is that you join just with a mere N2,000!

[color=#990000]For details, send a blank email to dokeleke@yahoo.com or text your email address to 08038442371[/color].
An email would then be sent to your address within 24hrs. Check your inbox or bulk folder for details. Ensure you read and understand how it works-to do so, it is advised you print the page and read offline.

Network your way to wealth. Join the QUICKSMART program!

Desmond Chuks O
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by DesmondO1: 3:31pm On Mar 09, 2008
Hello folks, you may have heard about networking or maybe you got involved in an mlm or hyip that failed-Not to worry, because this is not an mlm or hyip! It's NETWORKING. Well the good news is that there are other better ways of making money through internet marketing and networking that won't eat much out of your pockect and would infact fetch you lots of money.

Check out this great legal business opportunity{QuickSmart Program} i found online- you could make over N500,000 just through networking! And the great thing is that you join just with a mere N2,000!

[color=#990000]For details, send a blank email to dokeleke@yahoo.com or text your email address to 08038442371[/color].
An email would then be sent to your address within 24hrs. Check your inbox or bulk folder for details. Ensure you read and understand how it works-to do so, it is advised you print the page and read offline.

Network your way to wealth. Join the QUICKSMART program!

Desmond Chuks O
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:51pm On Mar 09, 2008
Kobojunkie:

No where in my statement above have I stated that Dangote was unknown forever. He was unknown to many even I in that country until Obasanjo came in and boom, his name came in the limelights. I am not sure you understand what it means when someone says another was an unknown until a couple of years ago. Please ask what it means to understand exactly what I meant and why it applies in this case.

No economy on this planet depends on the number of billionaires it is able to produce. It is possible to have billionaires in a country and have the economy remain in terrible horrible shape still, that has nothing to do with anything. The very fact that over 250 of the names on the list come from America and the fact that the USA is experiencing serious recessions ought to be number one clue for you and anyone else who attaches number of billionaires in a country to economy of a country. Billionaires can work for the good of an economy or even against it depending on what side they would like to play. I mean if you are going to tell me that if a country has 250 billionaires who invest their money in another country and spend it outside of their country, they do the economy of their home country good, then I suggest we go back to the drawing board and try to understand what it means to have an economy. Case study- Mexico with about 10 billionaires all worth about 100 BILLION dollars.

Dangote may be a billionaire, I do not have inside information to decide if his wealth is legit or not. Infact for the fact that he is in Nigeria, I seriously doubt that it is and I wait for evidence to prove otherwise. But if he is able to create jobs for people; good jobs, then great but I can not force him to create jobs or use his money to improce the economy and I think it would be unwise for any Nigeria to EXPECT him to do so and so place the fate of the people in his hands when his money is not ours. There is nothing wrong with Capitalism as long as it belongs to you fair and square and one thing I love about it is that it is yours to decide what you will do with it or not. Nothing unfortunate about that. I do not expect the man to spend his money on the poor in the country. Matter of fact, if he does not already do that, then there is nothing anyone can do to force him to do it. You have to remember, he did not become a billionaire yesterday. I am guessing he has been a billionaire for about 5 years now or even 10 and if he has not seen fit to invest any amount of that money in helping people or building Nigeria, I doubt he will want to start today cause he is on forbes list.

I stress again, having a billionaire or 1000 does not an economy change.

Again I rebut that Dangote was not an unknown in Nigeria until Obasanjo came, that is just false
Dangote's wealth legit, Forbes does not put random thieves on their list
You use the Mexican Economy as an example that is just poor! Those recent billionaires have helped revive the economy in Mexico.
I am really baffled that you can say that having billionaires does not help the economy, that is basic economics
Do you think that Dangote is the one personally farming the sugar plantations, or mixing the cement?
Billionaires create their wealth and in the process many many many also get employment of all levels.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 6:09pm On Mar 09, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Again I rebut that Dangote was not an unknown in Nigeria until Obasanjo came, that is just false
Dangote's wealth legit, Forbes does not put random thieves on their list
You use the Mexican Economy as an example that is just poor! Those recent billionaires have helped revive the economy in Mexico.
I am really baffled that you can say that having billionaires does not help the economy, that is basic economics
Do you think that Dangote is the one personally farming the sugar plantations, or mixing the cement?
Billionaires create their wealth and in the process many many many also get employment of all levels.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6572289.stm This is a good article for you to plunge your head into

Here is a good info for you on the man http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliko_Dangote . That might help you a bit with your rebutting.

You assume that in mexico's case these men became billionaires this year?? Mexico's economy is 12th largest in the world with 13% below poverty line and billionaires who are worth a combined 100 Billion. And all these did not become billionaires today. Infact the man who is number 2 now has been a billionaire for a while and that does not necessarily mean his investments are with companies in his own country. A country with  1000 millionaires who invest their money within the country is better off than the country with 1000 billionaires who invest their money outside of that country. Unless you can actually prove the claim that the recent billionaires have helped revive the mexican economy, I do not know how you came up with that one. And if you want, we can do a case by case study on how much these dudes have actually contributed to their economy to learn more of how much their lives affect the economy of their home country. It is up to each to decide to do that or not. Now look at the USA, the economy is close to recession, why has the recent billionaires not helped revive the economy in this case??

I don't profess to know how Dangote made his money as I do not have inside information on him and how he makes it. All I know is what we see in public and to be honest, I still have questions. The man did not become a billionaire overnight and he did go from millions to billions and how much has his wealth affected the Nigerian economy? I am guessing you may have access to that information or claim to. Do tell.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 6:20pm On Mar 09, 2008
Another problem with your argument is you somehow do not understand that this is not the first supposed billionaire in that countries history. ( I say supposed cause I have no proof that this man is who he is said to be, as the only data I have on him and his business value is what I know from forbes. It is not like I can do my own investigation and confirm that data). We have had millionaires and billionaires in the past and that has yet to set the Nigerian economy ablaze. why it is suddenly economics that the number of billionaires directly affect the economy Even when the said billionaires pile their money out of the country?
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:23pm On Mar 09, 2008
@ Kobo

Recessions are bound to happen in any sound economy, I hope you know the case of the US one.
Systematic and unsystematic risk abound every business venture that is taken.
I'm not assuming that these guys became major players last year in Mexico, I am merely stating that their is correlation between billionaires who provide jobs (most of them do) domestically and a sound economy, and believe me sound economies go into recessions. do you know whose business it is to get them out of these times?

Anyways, lets take for example Bill Gates he provides a synergistic effect for the whole technology industry that propels other companies. So you see by Dangote doing business, as does the number two in Mexico, domestically they too are providing synergy effects. I never claimed to have access to any high profile information their are standards that Forbes list members most have, these are public.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:32pm On Mar 09, 2008
Kobo
You talking like Dangote is a roque thief politician, this many placed his company on the Nigerian stock exchange he is not running anywhere.
He has said before that he holds mostly Naira currency http://www.thisdayonline.com/archive/2004/04/10/20040410bac01.html.
I will put my faith in Forbes ability to weed out the legit from the non-legit, and at best where do you draw the line? You can do your investigation and let me know the finidings, start by looking at his publicly traded Assets,
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 6:40pm On Mar 09, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Kobo
You talking like Dangote is a roque thief politician, this many placed his company on the Nigerian stock exchange he is not running anywhere.
He has said before that he holds mostly Naira currency http://www.thisdayonline.com/archive/2004/04/10/20040410bac01.html.
I will put my faith in Forbes ability to weed out the legit from the non-legit, and at best where do you draw the line? You can do your investigation and let me know the finidings, start by looking at his publicly traded Assets,

What if I hold a rogue view of him?? What has it to do with this?? I do not put my faith in Forbes, I prefer to be open to the fact that we are still speaking of a Nigerian from a country I am from here and I know for sure that I have heard many before him do so much wrong to that country and until I see his financial information, I will not trust what I am told. Sorry but I happen to believe what I see and not what I am told more often than not. He may be a billionaire but I have questions and until I have those questions answered, regardless of what he chooses to spout, I have a right to my opinion. I have read some questionable information on him that I would have loved and still wish I could get answers to. Over here, what I could do is query the IRS for his data, I doubt you can do that in Nigeria so the questions remain. I don't hold a rogue view of him but I am not convinced by forbes that he is clean. Infact, FORBES does not even say every billionaire on that list is clean and pure so why should I assume they are?
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by JosBoy4Lif(m): 6:49pm On Mar 09, 2008
Kobo

Business in general is not squeaky clean, thats why companies in America are always being sued. And you continue that search once you find some evidents to back up your lack-luster claims than you get at me. Dangote has political influence, which Billionaire does not, it comes with the terrain.Companies in the USA are the biggest lobbyists.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 6:52pm On Mar 09, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Kobo

Business in general is not squeaky clean, thats why companies in America are always being sued. And you continue that search once you find some evidents to back up your lack-luster claims than you get at me. Dangote has political influence, which Billionaire does not, it comes with the terrain.Companies in the use are the biggest lobbyists.

Don't worry about me and my view  of the man. YOu are free to believe what you want as am I. I happen to be in business myself and I have heard all the excuses out there thrown by people. I want answers, and I am not going to decide cause you post that there, they are suddenly no longer valid. I prefer to know what I know than to assume to know what I know most of the times. It makes me feel better I guess. I am one of those who questioned Abiola's wealth and Babangida's wealth and even abacha's wealth cause of their own questionable actions and associations and if this man has those then I question his wealth as well. By the way, there are honest business people out there who actually work hard to gain every penny they own and it is possible to be clean even in Business. There are many of those who exist out there, so the idea that business is generally not squeaky clean is not excuse enough for anyone not to be clean. I have more respect for those who are clean than those with that kind of excuse to offer.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by JosBoy4Lif(m): 10:59pm On Mar 09, 2008
Amoral decisions are abound in business, obviously there are honest business people, but when it comes to ethical decisions that have amoral consequences it really becomes a heads/tails decision. Do you consider a company like KFC clean, well some might, some might not, comprendo?
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by Kobojunkie: 11:02pm On Mar 09, 2008
JosBoy4Lif:

Amoral decisions are abound in business, obviously there are honest business people, but when it comes to ethical decisions that have amoral consequences it really becomes a heads/tails decision. Do you consider a company like KFC clean, well some might, some might now, comprendo?

It still does not matter.
Re: Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey by JosBoy4Lif(m): 11:09pm On Mar 09, 2008
No one said it does, but people make decisions based on ethical standards. Everyone knows what is basically immoral and what is moral.
It is amoral decisions that are what make companies impossible to be squeaky clean, after all no one is God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Folorunsho Alakija Covers July Edition Of Today's Woman Magazine / Sugar: Dangote Can Do More, BUA Has Not Done Enough - Chika Mbonu / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.