Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,026 members, 7,814,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It (2171 Views)

Why Obi Hid Defection From Atiku, By LP Source / What Is The Religious Demography Of The South West ? / Demography Of Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 8:58am On Feb 22, 2023
I am an Igbo man residing and doing business in Lagos. The nature of my business requires that I gather huge customer data via leads collection on social media using Google doc links. I have been doing this for more than 5years and I can tell you that I understand the population demography of Lagos state with respect to tribes.

From the leads I have gathered so far, it will be foolhardy to say that the population of Yorubas and igbos in Lagos is equal. My data, so far with more than 100,000 samples suggests that Lagos is ocuppied by 55% Yorubas, 25% igbos, others are 20%.

Note: This figures does not represent the percentage of hausa/Fulanis in Lagos because most of them usually don't buy products online and are not very active on internet.

Using this data to understand the voting demography of Lagos, you will realize Peter Obi can win Lagos.

55%of Yorubas in lagos are not going to all vote Tinubu, about 25% here are Christians and Tinubu is more popular within the Yoruba Muslim voters.
About 12% of the 25% Yoruba christians in 55% will most likely vote for Peter Obi.
Of the other tribes, majority of them are from the southsouth, Benue and Kogi. About 10% of them will vote for Obi. Expect almost all Igbo person in Lagos to vote for Peter Obi. For the benefit of doubt, let's give him 20% of the 25% igbos.

This means that Peter Obi may already have 42% of lagos to himself, while Tinubu has about 30% from Yoruba Muslims and 13% from Christians (43%).

The remaining 20% population will be hugely splitted. All candidates including Atiku will get from there.

From the 55% Yorubas, don't be surprise that the likes of kola Abiola and Sowore will get votes in Lagos. Those Yorubas who know that Tinubu is not fit and won't vote Igbos think that Sowore and Kola Abiola are better alternatives.

Obi can win Lagos, don't be surprise if he does.

24 Likes

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by naijapikin2(m): 9:06am On Feb 22, 2023
Your analysis may work if our government offers free fair and credible election. However I don't see that panning out. I'm a realist I'm also an optimist. But I don't see obi winning Lagos. I'm fully OBI-dient and I know he will will other locations convincingly but not lagos.
However nigeria must be OBI-dient

Datti-zit

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 9:11am On Feb 22, 2023
naijapikin2:
Your analysis may work if our government offers free fair and credible election. However I don't see that panning out. I'm a realist I'm also an optimist. But I don't see obi winning Lagos. I'm fully OBI-dient and I know he will will other locations convincingly but not lagos.

Datti-zit
See, I work with data.
I am also realistic.

I'm not saying that he will definitely win, but it's a 50/50 scenario according to what data suggests. Even if Tinubu wins, the margin will be extremely slim.

This election is going to be the freest and fairest in the history of Nigeria

20 Likes

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 9:12am On Feb 22, 2023
I edited the figures
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by socialmediaman: 9:13am On Feb 22, 2023
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by naijapikin2(m): 9:17am On Feb 22, 2023
FatherOfJesus:
See, I work with data.
I am also realistic.

I'm not saying that he will definitely win, but it's a 50/50 scenario according to what data suggests. Even if Tinubu wins, the margin will be extremely slim.

This election is going to be the freest and fairest in thr history of Nigeria
my brother you forgot that a lot of ballot snatching will occur. And many of obis supporters will be disenfranchised. All those thugs will just hijack the election process.

Also... Many of the people who's data you have access to are not voting for one reason or the other.

Mark my words tinubu will win lagos by a large margin. But I trust that peter obi will win the election and become nigeria's next president.

I'm just being objective
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 9:21am On Feb 22, 2023
naijapikin2:
my brother you forgot that a lot of ballot snatching will occur. And many of obis supporters will be disenfranchised. All those thugs will just hijack the election process.

Also... Many of the people who's data you have access to are not voting for one reason or the other.

Mark my words tinubu will win lagos by a large margin. But I trust that peter obi will win the election and become nigeria's next president.

I'm just being objective
Dude, hijacking ballot boxes doesn't play a significant role in rigging elections.
The major part of rigging election coms from padding of ballot papers in many polling units, which BVAS has taken care of.

Tinubu will win Lagos by a large margin if this election is held in 2019. Not now.

Your objectivity is more of pessimism because you are not factoring many things that has changed. You are looking at it from the lens of 2019 when there was no cash crunch to tackle vote buying and and BVAS to tackle overvoting

7 Likes

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by naijapikin2(m): 9:25am On Feb 22, 2023
FatherOfJesus:
Dude, hijacking ballot boxes doesn't play a significant role in rigging elections.
The major part of rigging election coms from padding of ballot papers in many polling units, which BVAS has taken care of.

Tinubu will not win Lagos by a large margin if this election is held in 2019. Not now.

Your objectivity is more of pessimism because you are not factoring many things that has changed. You are looking at it from the lens of 2019 where there was no cash crunch and BVAS
let's hope it pans out according to your postulations. For the benefit of the nation. Cheers.
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by skedman(m): 9:25am On Feb 22, 2023
Your thinking level might be to shallow

Tinubu have the governor , house of representative , house of assembly , chairmen, counselors , lawma, lasma and lot of agency and obi has none
Then yours analysis might be coming from your thought I

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by Helpfromabove1(m): 9:27am On Feb 22, 2023
Many Yoruba xtians know that the Muslim-Muslim ticket is nothing but political strategy

It happened during the time of Abiola in 1993

Yoruba will surely go with there tribe

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 9:27am On Feb 22, 2023
skedman:

Tinubu have the governor , house of representative , house of assembly , chairmen, counselors , lawma, lasma and lot of agency and obi has none
Then yours analysis might coming from your thought
So what are these people going to do?
Force people to vote for Tinubu against their wish?

You must think that BVAS and cash crunch is a joke to you.

Sanwolu who's the governor sef is fighting to keep his own position

6 Likes

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 9:32am On Feb 22, 2023
Helpfromabove1:
Many Yoruba xtians know that the Muslim-Muslim ticket is nothing but political strategy

Well, looking at it from my own personal view, I think many Yoruba christians are weary of Tinubu.

The family that received me when I first came to Lagos are Yorubas, members of redeem, I meet their son during NYSC in port Harcourt, I usually take him to my family in Enugu (we took care of him a lot), so they welcomed me well. They are all Obidient.

I have 3 neighbors who are all Yorubas, one is a Muslim who works for Lagos state government, one is a christian working for a private firm and the last one is a christian that has his private business. We discuss politics a lot. The two Christian Yoruba are supporting Peter Obi, The Muslim guy is supporting Tinubu.

The man that helps me fill my gas, a yoruba Muslim, he supports Tinubu.

My boss at work, a yoruba christian, supports Obi.

From my own point of view, it's more likely for a yoruba christian to support Obi than a yoruba Muslim. I engage people a lot in politics, I don't shy away from it. While I have seen many Yoruba christians supporting Tinubu, I have seen more Yoruba christians supporting Obi. I have only met one Yoruba Muslims that support Obi (the guy is not a very serious Muslim though).

6 Likes

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by anungangampu: 9:36am On Feb 22, 2023
Free and Fair, Tinubu will struggle to win election but massive Riging will occur in Lagos with or without Bvas.
Lagos may be Tinubu strongest ground but you have to understand Lagos also have literate voters also than other places in the country.
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 9:39am On Feb 22, 2023
anungangampu:
Free and Fair, Tinubu will struggle to win election but massive Riging will occur in Lagos with or without Bvas.
Lagos may be Tinubu strongest ground but you have to understand Lagos also have literate voters also than other places in the country.
There's massive rigging in this election. There will be rigging, but it won't be massive.

I know what I am saying
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by Okoroawusa: 9:40am On Feb 22, 2023
All these 11th hour political analysts sef...

Saturday election will shut many people's mouths

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by Dotherightthing: 9:40am On Feb 22, 2023
Rubbish!!!

Go back and check Lagos voting pattern in the past whenever a Yoruba man is on the ballot. cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by ojoadeola: 9:42am On Feb 22, 2023
Please be aware that the election in Lagos is not as you have it

Tinubu will win with a very wide margin

I have surveyed the Lagos area and discovered that those rooting for Obi are mainly Ibos and some Youths.

The believe that Yoruba Christians will vote for Obi is a ruse. The Yorubas understand better that religion does not matter in their politics.

If the Presidential election had come up in December 2022, Peter Obi would have done better and challenged Bola Tinubu, but the events of the past few weeks (the Naira Swap, and the ethnocentric view that the North are persecuting him) have brought the people back to Tinubu. This is evident in the boldness of URCHINS to attack and speak on Nairaland in recent days, as well as the view around the city about Tinubu and no one else.

Taking a cue also that the coming of significant developments from the Federal to Lagos State has happened majorly in this government when their son's party is in power.

They also believe that the Security of Yorubas would be more assured if they have their Son (Tinubu) in power, rather than Peter Obi who may focus on security in his own domain.

The major determinant of this shift to Tinubu is the fact that Tinubu will help them regain the losses they may likely suffer if the current Naira swap challenges continue. Thus the cliche, "vote Tinubu and continue to spend your old Naira till December 2023)

His boldness against the powers that be also gave him out as someone who would not be afraid to take some bold steps to solve Nigeria's problems.

At the National level, the continuous push and advertisement that it is the turn of the South to produce the President will work to favour Tinubu.

My final verdict - Tinubu will win Lagos, and win the National election

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 9:43am On Feb 22, 2023
Helpfromabove1:

To add to this, my girlfriend is a yoruba.
I visited their family in Epe last December. They are member of redeem, they are al Obidients.

I know what I am saying. But one thing I have noticed is tha, most Yoruba Obidients in sohthwest usually want to shy away from political arguments, they always come out of their shell when they see an Obidient like them.
My Yoruba friend that brought me to Lagos and one of my Yoruba neighbors, they will always say that they don't want to argue, they will silently go there and vote for Obi and come back.

1 Like

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by Lashist(m): 9:43am On Feb 22, 2023
skedman:

Then yours analysis might be coming from your thought I
Agreed. Then this governor, chairmen, house of reps, lawma, lasma and counsellors will vote for everybody residing in lagos abi?? Do they have multiple thumbs to vote thousands of times or what?? Explain how these chairmen will vote for millions of people??

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 9:44am On Feb 22, 2023
ojoadeola:

Please be aware that the election in Lagos is not as you have it

Tinubu will win with a very wide margin

I have surveyed the Lagos area and discovered that those rooting for Obi are mainly Ibos and some Youths.

The believe that Yoruba Christians will vote for Obi is a ruse. The Yorubas understand better that religion does not matter in their politics.

lol OK šŸ˜‚
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by Nobody: 9:44am On Feb 22, 2023
grin

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by Okwyjesus(m): 9:47am On Feb 22, 2023
naijapikin2:

Datti-zit

In this it's possible ONLY in free and fair environment and APC Lagos know.

But Tinubu fights dirty and am concerned about that
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 9:49am On Feb 22, 2023
Okwyjesus:

As long as Tinubu has lost federal might, BVAS exist and cash crunch is a thing, Tinubu cannot do much. He will try, but he has been limited a lot
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by babyfaceafrica: 9:49am On Feb 22, 2023
FatherOfJesus:

Sanwo Olu is the only Governor that is sure of re-election... Talk another thing
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by unohbethel(m): 9:51am On Feb 22, 2023
Dotherightthing:
Rubbish!!!

Go back and check Lagos voting pattern in the past whenever a Yoruba man is on the ballot. cool
do u remember that there is a yoruba man in the ballot in 1999? What was the result of Lagos state?

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by naijapikin2(m): 9:52am On Feb 22, 2023
Okwyjesus:

precisely my point. He will fight tooth and nail to capture lagos.

I know for sure Abuja will be won by peter obi
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by Teddy0147(m): 10:00am On Feb 22, 2023
FatherOfJesus:
I am an Igbo man residing and doing business in Lagos. The nature of my business requires that I gather huge customer data via leads collection on social media using Google doc links. I have been doing this for more than 5years and I can tell you that I understand the population demography of Lagos state with respect to tribes.

From the leads I have gathered so far, it will be foolhardy to say that the population of Yorubas and igbos in Lagos is equal. My data, so far with more than 100,000 samples suggests that Lagos is ocuppied by 55% Yorubas, 25% igbos, others are 20%.

Note: This figures does not represent the percentage of hausa/Fulanis in Lagos because most of them usually don't buy products online and are not very active on internet.

Using this data to understand the voting demography of Lagos, you will realize Peter Obi can win Lagos.

55%of Yorubas in lagos are not going to all vote Tinubu, about 25% here are Christians and Tinubu is more popular within the Yoruba Muslim voters.
About 12% of the 25% Yoruba christians in 55% will most likely vote for Peter Obi.
Of the other tribes, majority of them are from the southsouth, Benue and Kogi. About 10% of them will vote for Obi. Expect almost all Igbo person in Lagos to vote for Peter Obi. For the benefit of doubt, let's give him 20% of the 25% igbos.

This means that Peter Obi may already have 42% of lagos to himself, while Tinubu has about 30% from Yoruba Muslims and 13% from Christians (43%).

The remaining 20% population will be hugely splitted. All candidates including Atiku will get from there.

From the 55% Yorubas, don't be surprise that the likes of kola Abiola and Sowore will get votes in Lagos. Those Yorubas who know that Tinubu is not fit and won't vote Igbos think that Sowore and Kola Abiola are better alternatives.

Obi can win Lagos, don't be surprise if he does.

Your data is just for your customers and those onlineā€¦.what about the people In villages like Badagry owode, epe ikorodu what about the aworis in Lagosā€¦ people thinks because you are doing business in Lagos you know Lagosā€¦..the only Yorubas voting obi are the learned ones that understand that obi is the bestā€¦. Bro Iā€™m from Lagos and I will tell you that itā€™s possible for obi to win the presidency but please forget about Lagosā€¦.Note:the Yoruba Christians will betray obi

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by Exclusive101: 10:02am On Feb 22, 2023
If Obi come second in Lagos I owe you 20K

FatherOfJesus:
See, I work with data.
I am also realistic.

This election is going to be the freest and fairest in the history of Nigeria

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 10:04am On Feb 22, 2023
Exclusive101:
If Obi come second in Lagos I owe you 20K

lol, I like when you guys say this because Saturday will be a shocker

2 Likes

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by Exclusive101: 10:04am On Feb 22, 2023
Do you even know the names of those contesting against Sanwolu ?

FatherOfJesus:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 10:04am On Feb 22, 2023
Teddy0147:

Your data is just for your customers and those onlineā€¦.what about the people In villages like Badagry owode, epe ikorodu what about the aworis in Lagosā€¦ people thinks because you are doing business in Lagos you know Lagosā€¦..the only Yorubas voting obi are the learned ones that understand that obi is the bestā€¦. Bro Iā€™m from Lagos and I will tell you that itā€™s possible for obi to win the presidency but please forget about Lagosā€¦.Note:the Yoruba Christians will betray obi
ok šŸ˜‚
Re: Understanding The Voting Demography Of Lagos And Why Obi Might Win It by FatherOfJesus: 10:05am On Feb 22, 2023
babyfaceafrica:

Sanwo Olu is the only Governor that is sure of re-election... Talk another thing
Mark this.

If Peter Obi wins on Saturday, Sanwolu will be voted out as well.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Akpabio Orders Four Lexus Suvs For N1 Billion, Abbas Corners N9.5 Billion. / Gaddafi In Nigeria Airport Drama / Ibb Already Giving Up Before The Race Has Begun!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.