Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,827 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:07 AM

NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies (4881 Views)

b / Should Nigeria Be Divided Into North And South Separate Countries Like Sudan? / Should Nigeria Be Divided? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by topeorekoy(m): 7:49am On Aug 30, 2007
Nnpc Scrapped: A Good Or Bad Omen For Nigeria?

The Federal Government yesterday put an end to speculations as regards the new oil and gas policy by approving the unbundling of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) into five new organisations within the next six months.

Effectively, there will be no more NNPC and Ministry of Energy, as they will be replaced with National Oil Company and National Petroleum Directorate respectively.

The NNPC is the biggest parastatal in Nigeria, owning 57 percent of joint venture businesses in the upstream operations.

A National Energy Council to reorganise the energy sector has also been set up. The Council, headed by President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, is expected to unbundle the NNPC into five functional companies by February 2008.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=87781
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by smoothjive(m): 2:10pm On Aug 30, 2007
I think it is a wonderful idea.

I had complained in the past about the too many agencies that existed in my opinion and were redundant opportunities to give people positions.

However I think this one is much needed especially with the chance the single unit gave sole individuals to loot huge some of money usually unnoticed till a while after.

The functions of each unit are quite different and it creates checks and balance.

Worst case scenario is there are more positions created, and more opportunities to steal but the amount they can steal going unnoticed reduces significantly. If this is the worst case scenario. I like it.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by damoche07(m): 2:16pm On Aug 30, 2007
The Fed govt has finally announced the restructuring of the national oil company,NNPC.

Do you think this is the right thing to do?

Would it solve the problem of the ailing company?

Any other inteligent sugestion on a solution to the monster of a company? Please air your opinions, because in NAIRALAND you don't know who is going to read.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by 2old4that(m): 2:46pm On Aug 30, 2007
Hm, am a bit skeptical about this decision ooo!
However it is, I hope the president meant well.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by amaikama(m): 2:50pm On Aug 30, 2007
Namely, '
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by kamuzu(m): 3:01pm On Aug 30, 2007
forget the nomenclature issue, nothing will change. quote me!
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by ibkn(m): 3:07pm On Aug 30, 2007
hurray,
if NNPC at its age stilled relied on J/V to get oil, then its high time it was scrapped,
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by adechat(m): 3:34pm On Aug 30, 2007
what does nomenclature has to do with inborn xter of people placed in position. NEPA was christened PHCN, rather that the corporation to be improve we notice the worsen situation of the parastatal. So in my opinion, the change of name matter nothing to me, the bad eggs should be flashed out of the system
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by 9ja4eva: 3:36pm On Aug 30, 2007
Looks like its for the better
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by zebudaya(m): 6:17pm On Aug 30, 2007
it's like painting a house with a fresh coat of paint, nothing happens inside. I'm a bit worried by this new president why does he make decisions like a military ruler? i thought issues like these were supposed to be taken to senate and house of reps and then debated on? also what happens to people who are receiving pension from NNPC is there a plan in place to continue paying them?
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by babasin(m): 11:19pm On Aug 30, 2007
there you go again, things just announced from the blues like a joke!

Problem with NNPC is not name or structure its the people attitude.

so nothing gonna change except name.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by debosky(m): 11:21pm On Aug 30, 2007
A lot of those people have been weeded out already, a mass retirement happened over the last couple of months, a less unwieldy structure will do the country good.

the current structure is too nebulous and mixed up to work properly.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by WarfyBoy(m): 2:01am On Aug 31, 2007
na only God go hepl us for this country ohhhhhh, if them like make dem scatter arange, scater againm re-arange all we nid na just small sympathy from them, make them pity us small giv us our own share of the OIL moni, our eye dey shoook
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by WarfyBoy(m): 2:03am On Aug 31, 2007
na only God go hepl us for this country ohhhhhh, if them like make dem scatter, arange, scater again re-arange all we nid na just small sympathy from them, make them pity us small giv us our own share of the OIL moni, our eye dey shoook
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by MP007(m): 6:33am On Aug 31, 2007
cut the crap, its just a way to further worsen the whole situation, who cares, dividin with not solve nothing

its just name change , remember NEPA, power holdin abi? dem ' dey hold ur power now, hehehe, shit
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by marjson(m): 7:43am On Aug 31, 2007
lets wait and see the outcome, i prayed it works out well,
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by narcissus(m): 8:45am On Aug 31, 2007
Interesting! NNPC was only divided into three 3. the other two entities are NPD - former ministry of energy- and PIC - former DPR. The only important developments are that NOC- formerly NNPC- will no longer be custodian of the country's investements in the JVs and PSCs; It will now be handled by the seperate entity NOGAHMS - formerly NAPIMS and that the function of petroleum products distribution wil be taken off NNPC and given to PPDA (a merger of PPMC and PPPRA? ala conflicting reports from Thisday and guardian). Consequently the burden (or is it excuse) of products subsidy will be taken off NOC/NNPC. To consolidate these moves, all Oil and Gas industry policy and regulatory roles should be taken off NNPC/NOC and given to NPD and PIC. This should be followed with a mandate and empowerment for NNPC/NOC to function as a profit making business with capacity to raise funds, take loans and make decisions- particularly investemt decisions- without having to refer to the FG. This will put NNPC/NOC in a make or break position. U'll be surprised what will happen. And after all these, if the NNPC/NOC management cannot perform, the company should be sold. If thses do not happen, it will be just another change of name. If you remember, NNPC used to be called NOC before its name was changed to NNPC and all these units created in an effort to make it better. Now its being changed from NNPC to NOC and these units being taken away in an effort to make it better without the core issue being adressed - goverment dependence and interference.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by ollykay(m): 11:45am On Aug 31, 2007
it's d rit tim we stop deceiving ourself.the fact dt d name NNPC is being changed.i tell you it has notin 2 do wit comunity afair although it may go some xtend in reducing on employment afterall wen dere anointed sons are now fixed as d MD in all d subsector they too will stand d chance of lobbying in their choosing ones or have u 4gotin it's all about conection.
i am happy NAPIMS is now independent.reason behind my happiness dt i'l make anonymous.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by Chibiks(m): 3:04pm On Aug 31, 2007
Guys, i know that President Yaradua is the first real academician that has been Nigeria's president, but what is going to be the result of the splitting Is that that its gonna implement due process to the letter.Come to think of it, just oil & and gas has 5 federal units under it, what about Agriculture, Bitumen, Coal,even our Health sector?I hope he is getting his priorities right.I admire him though cheesy
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by yarodin: 6:17pm On Aug 31, 2007
Hmm this one get k leg ooooooooh. I mean the change is good, but if the government is going to still put political thiefs as heads of these split branches then all that has changed is that we now have double times the number of people that are going to be stealing.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by 9ja4eva: 1:51am On Sep 01, 2007
I tire for this kain thing wey Yar Adua dey do oh
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by redsun(m): 4:17pm On Sep 01, 2007
It is not about splitting up corporations,it is about changing concepts,from destruction to building,accountability.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by AbdulWasiu(m): 8:31pm On Sep 01, 2007
This is a good development if you ask me.

Let every section act independently,perhaps the corporation is presently too complex to manage.

Yar'adua(GMD) will not have to oversee all Subsidiaries but a more smaller unit.

And I see the refineries being privatised soon, the powers of PENGASSAN and NUPENG combined is no more.

I believe things will work better now within the corporation, for the betterment of the entire Nigerians.

We'll be there someday, insha Allah.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by cao(f): 2:37am On Sep 04, 2007
I have a funny feeling that it would only make matters worse. And someone said mass retirements, do u know how many honest workers got retired or downright fired? Anyhoo, do u know there r refineries which r not bein used? Instead we export crude oil and import refined oil. As long as Yar'dua will not pull an Obansanjo n sell 'em (piece by piece) 2 another country. The only way this may work is if they/we get our s*** together. And if u hv/had parents working in NNPC or its subsidiaries would have heard and seen interestin' things. Who knows i can b very wrong, heres 2 hoping.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by kavi(f): 12:53pm On Sep 04, 2007
I think it is a wonderful idea,i love it becos it is another opportunities, If u ask me
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by 9ja4eva: 8:40am On Sep 05, 2007
redsun:

It is not about splitting up corporations,it is about changing concepts,from destruction to building,accountability.

Word
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by McKren(m): 4:13pm On Sep 05, 2007
Senate says the plan is unlawful until a bill is sent to the Senate by the Presidency.

Good to see those pontificating about due process slipping on due process.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by DisGuy: 4:57pm On Sep 05, 2007
The Senate on Tuesday said the announcement by the Presidency that it had split the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation into five bodies was a statement of intention
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by McKren(m): 5:35pm On Sep 05, 2007
NNPC unbundled without law —Senate

By Emmanuel Aziken and Laide Akinboade

Posted to the Web: Wednesday, September 05, 2007

, Senate washes hands off House crisis

ABUJA—The Senate yesterday described the unbundling of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) by the federal government as a mere pronouncement without the force of law. (Vanguard)

http://nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html

Senate may review scrapping of NNPC - NNPC explains new oil and gas policy
Taiwo Adisa, Abuja - 05.09.2007

The Senate may soon review the circumstances leading to the August 29 decision by the Federal Government to scrap the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).

Chairman, Senate Committee on Information and Media, Senator Ayogu Eze, who stated this during a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday, said the upper chamber would look at the law books to see if any provision had been breached in the government’s decision.

According to the Senate spokesman, the NNPC was a product of the decree, which is now an Act of National Assembly. He expressed the belief that the Federal Government would not breach the law.

“As far as I am concerned, it (scrapping) is a pronouncement by the executive. So far, the executive has announced their intention and the intention was announced by a lawyer who briefed the nation and who I am sure will be aware of the provisions of Decree 33 and all the subsections of the laws setting up the NNPC.

www.nigeriamasterweb.com tribune

Senate Rejects Scrapping Of NNPC

Print Friendly

Andrew Oota

email

• Faults Yar’Adua on due process

In what looks like the recent reversal of the proposed redenomination of the nation’s currency, the Senate yesterday rejected the unbundling of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation by President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, saying it fell short of due process.

According to the Senate, unless the president presents it to the National Assembly as a bill, "it remains a mere pronouncement."

www.nigeriamasterweb.com leadership
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by McKren(m): 5:48pm On Sep 05, 2007

NNPC’s scrapping illegal –Senate

COSMAS EKPUNOBI, Abuja

Senate has declared that the recent scrapping of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) by the presidency would remain a "mere pronouncement" until the law establishing the agency is repealed by the National Assembly.

The Upper House at a resumed sitting yesterday also announced plan to commence the amendment (process) of the 1999 Constitution, next year saying that dissenting views by some senators like Chief Whip Senator Kanti Bello would not stop the exercise in 2008.

The senate advised President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua to present a Bill to repeal Decree 33 (now Act of National Assembly) in order to give a legal backing to the scrapping of NNPC.

The federal government had last month announced the unbundling of NNPC and promptly replaced the corporation with five new agencies.

www.nigeriamasterweb.comChampion

This is democracy at work

The President should send a bill to the National assembly in other to continue what is actually a good policy in the right direction that I wholeheartedly support.

But the beauty of this whole drama is where was Micheal Aondoakaa that has been lecturing everyone else including EFCC, CBN on dues process when this due process slip was made.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by gonyix: 11:17am On Sep 06, 2007
The only solution to the problems that are prevalent at NNPC, is privatalization.
Breaking it up into smaller entities while a good idea would only work in a less corrupt society, not in Nigeria.
And bye the way I think Mr. Yaradua is only breaking it up to repay the sponsors of his election with appointments.
Re: NNPC To Be Divided Into Five Companies by 9ja4eva: 3:19am On Sep 10, 2007
Hmm that makes sense.

Well God would expose them

The bill has not been passed i heard

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures Of Ibb Obj And Yaradua Taken Secretly / Tinubu A Supplanter - Awo's Granddaughter / Pdp Will Rule Nigeria Forever – Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.