Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,824 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer (9804 Views)

Failure To Win 25% In FCT: It Was An Error To Declare Tinubu Winner Says SANs / Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer / Coronavirus: Concerns As Tinubu Fails To Self-isolate After UK Trip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Sunmolar(m): 11:03am On Feb 28, 2023
FatherOfJesus:
So you understand English than AI
. FCT was mentioned so that argument will not arise if you win ONLY 24 states and FCT. Mischief makers will say you only win 24 STATES...And fct

5 Likes

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Nobody: 11:03am On Feb 28, 2023
duro4chang:
I like your stand.
Yes we can live and peace and I believe the new government will wow Nigerians and Nigeria shall be great again
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by FatherOfJesus: 11:03am On Feb 28, 2023
Sunmolar:
. FCT was mentioned so that argument will not arise if you win ONLY 24 states and FCT.
the English is clear for me.

1. You have to secure 25% in 24 states.
2. You have to secure 25% in FCT.

Let's don't prolong a clear English term

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by DeOTR: 11:03am On Feb 28, 2023
Na English una no understand. E go soon clear una. Yeye fowl calling himself a lawyer.

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by FarahAideed: 11:04am On Feb 28, 2023
bazoodo:
Nah it's simple. The FCT isn't counted as a state. You just need 25 percent in 25 states

If FCT isn't counted as a state does that mean you need 25 percent in 25 states and 25 in the FCT , making 26?
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Bestmanfornow: 11:05am On Feb 28, 2023
Jokay07:

Please enlighten me.

So all the 6million votes for Apc become invalid because Apc didn't get up to 25%in FCT?
The leading candidates by numbers will do rerun and the new numbers to their old one, one of the candidates might form alliance to be able to win his base.
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Agbadoeater: 11:05am On Feb 28, 2023
Stop this self delusion!!!

You only need to win 25% in 24 states. FCT is not compulsory, it is English that is affecting some people.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Demolakay: 11:05am On Feb 28, 2023
[quote author=FatherOfJesus post=121335688]omo, that part of the electoral act will bring unnecessary arguments.
I want to share a video from CNN with you.
This our constitution needs review, if not lawyers go just dey argue.

Even the San sef no understand [/quote

Pls show us d video or a link to d video.
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by jchioma: 11:06am On Feb 28, 2023
Bestmanfornow:

You're ignorant

Section 134 of the Constitution provides as follows:

(1) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected, where, there being only two candidates for the election –

(a) he has the majority of votes cast at the election; and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

(2) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected where, there being more than two candidates for the election-

You de listen to urchins?
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by pquaver(m): 11:06am On Feb 28, 2023
FatherOfJesus:
seems there is.

That section of the constitution needs to be clear. It's not.
Everyone is confuse now

It's clear FcT is like a state in Nigeria.. Nigeria has 36 states and the FcT meaning inclusive of FcT..

That section means FcT can be in ur 24 states u get ur 25 percent or u can can the 24 from other states..

What it means simply is u have 37 places to get your requirements of 25%.. 36 states and the FcT

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by chizidgreat(m): 11:06am On Feb 28, 2023
The fact that he couldn't get 25% in Abuja means any other thing he got in other places is questionable
Abuja represents the entire nation
So, if we use Abuja votes to determine, it is clear who Nigeria wants
Obi is coming
Tinubu and his fellow thieves must be retired
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by FatherOfJesus: 11:06am On Feb 28, 2023
FarahAideed:

If FCT isn't counted as a state does that mean you need 25 percent in 25 states and 25 in the FCT , making 26?
it says

1. "25% in 24 states of the federation"
2. "And the FCT"

1. Means you need to get 25% in 24 states.
2. You have to get 25% in FCT
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by wegevv: 11:07am On Feb 28, 2023
If I tell you that you need to pass 50% of all you projects and your exam does that mean that you can fail your exam and still pass?

English is very simple. Projects and exam are different things just like states and FCT are different. FCT is not a state. It has no Governor or gubernatorial elections. If you think the people that wrote the constitution made a mistake that is your personal problem lol

But the English is very clear. Chatgpt understands English better than you ❤️

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by FatherOfJesus: 11:07am On Feb 28, 2023
pquaver:

It's clear FcT is like a state in Nigeria.. Nigeria has 36 states and the FcT meaning inclusive of FcT..

That section means FcT can be in ur 24 states u get ur 25 percent or u can can the 24 from other states..

What it means simply is u have 37 places to get your requirements of 25%.. 36 states and the FcT
lol 😂😂😂

Arguments. That's not what me I understood there. It exclusively states that you need to get 25% spread in FCT for me

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by wegevv: 11:09am On Feb 28, 2023
pquaver:

If I tell you that you need to pass 50% of all you projects and your exam does that mean that you can fail your exam and still pass?

English is very simple. Projects and exam are different things just like states and FCT are different. FCT is not a state. It has no Governor or gubernatorial elections. The constitution is clear that FCT is not a state. If you think the people that wrote the constitution made a mistake that is your personal problem lol

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by seunmsg(m): 11:10am On Feb 28, 2023
There is no ambiguity anywhere. In interpreting a law, we look at the intention of those that made the law. What is their intention? Very simple and straightforward, ensure a candidate that will be elected president is popular and get good votes all over the country and not just in his clannish region. So, the law did not specify a particular state so there is no sense to n insisting that a candidate must get 25% in FCT if he has gotten 25% in 25 states already.

Any candidate that score a simple majority and has 25% in 25 states has met the requirement of the law and will be returned elected.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by kettykin: 11:11am On Feb 28, 2023
Bestmanfornow:

Before one will be declare winner he need to get 25% in 24 states plus FCT

What if he got 25% in 24 States and 20% in fact.

If the fct didn't matter, they could have said in 24 States in addition to the fct but it Said 24 States and the fct.
Surprisingly the fct appears to be a standalone in this requirement
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by MikeofAfrica: 11:13am On Feb 28, 2023
0monnak0da:
for purpose of presidential election
It is without any doubt equivalent to a state
The question really is whether 2/3 of 37 is interpreted as 24 or 25

There is other case law in unrelated matters in which courts have determined that Abuja is to be treated as a state

No doubt , Abuja is regarded as a state by the Constitution.

However in this case, Abuja was given a special status.

The Constitution states that to win the election, you must have 25% in two- third states and FCT.

Hence after having 25% in two- third states excluding FCT, you are also to get it in FCT.

The word "and" means " in additional " in the context of that section of the Constitution. If you do not need to get 25% in FCT, the world " including the FCT" will have been used instead of "and the FCT".

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Drealman20: 11:13am On Feb 28, 2023
chizidgreat:
The fact that he couldn't get 25% in Abuja means any other thing he got in other places is questionable
Abuja represents the entire nation
So, if we use Abuja votes to determine, it is clear who Nigeria wants
Obi is coming
Tinubu and his fellow thieves must be retired

Only igbos will reason below par

Abuja represents the entire nation grin grin grin grin

Na this kind dumb people we dey follow argue

4 Likes

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by FarahAideed: 11:15am On Feb 28, 2023
FatherOfJesus:
it says

1. "25% in 24 states of the federation"
2. "And the FCT"

1. Means you need to get 25% in 24 states.
2. You have to get 25% in FCT

Interesting
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by DeOTR: 11:17am On Feb 28, 2023
wegevv:

There is only one meaning in English. Ask Chatgpt. The dishonest people are just trying to rig the constitution as well.

We are in for a runoff

Anyone but APC ❤️
You're asking ChatGPT that draws answers from most probably wrong submissions online?
Again, how does "25% in 2/3 of the 36 states and the FCT" translate to "25% in 2/3 of the 36 states and 25% in the FCT"?
This is the main reason why most people don't score up to 50% in English (UTME).

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Emmy909: 11:18am On Feb 28, 2023
English is hard... stop spreading false information.
FCT is added to the two third of the 25% each

Tinubu has won the election, that's why your principal want a cancelation.

Know this and know peace

Bestmanfornow:

Before one will be declare winner he need to get 25% in 24 states plus FCT

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by lovewins: 11:18am On Feb 28, 2023
I think the conundrum here is that we've never had a winning presidential candidate since 1999 that got less than 25% of the FCT, hence we didn't have a need for that section of the Constitution to be interpreted.

Even before the elections, many legal juggernauts differed in their interpretation of said provision. I think the courts have to finally decide what it means since we are in new waters.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by kettykin: 11:19am On Feb 28, 2023
FatherOfJesus:
the English is clear for me.

1. You have to secure 25% in 24 states.
2. You have to secure 25% in FCT.

Let's don't prolong a clear English term

I think you're right, Buhari and Jonathan both scored More than 25% in the fct in 2011, 2015 and 2019
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by FatherOfJesus: 11:20am On Feb 28, 2023
kettykin:

I think you're right, Buhari and Jonathan both scored More than 25% in the fct in 2011, 2015 and 2019
yes
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by pquaver(m): 11:20am On Feb 28, 2023
wegevv:

English is very simple. Projects and exam are different things just like states and FCT are different. FCT is not a state. It has no Governor or gubernatorial elections. The constitution is clear that FCT is not a state. If you think the people that wrote the constitution made a mistake that is your personal problem lol

Oga go and learn English.. The context of FcT is that it is like a state in Nigeria.. You and too look at where this has been used before.. 36 State and FcT that means FcT is like another state.. Simple interpretation is u have the chance to get 25% in 24 states from the possibility of 36 states and FcT..
So did Buhari make 25% in Abuja last time? Asking can't remember..
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by FatherOfJesus: 11:21am On Feb 28, 2023
Emmy909:
English is hard... stop spreading false information.
FCT is added to the two third of the 25% each

Tinubu has won the election, that's why your principal want a cancelation.

Know this and know peace

there's a video I watch on CNN, I am trying to find it. It specifically states that the winner must score 25% in FCT. Let me try and find it
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Christistruth00: 11:21am On Feb 28, 2023
Fake News Propaganda

Tinubu won 27% in the FCT
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by FatherOfJesus: 11:21am On Feb 28, 2023
pquaver:

So did Buhari make 25% in Abuja last time? Asking can't remember..
yes he did, he made 40%
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by ejimatic: 11:23am On Feb 28, 2023
FatherOfJesus:
Olisa Agbakoba, a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), has asked the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to clarify section 134 of the 1999 constitution (as amended) which specifies the requirements for a candidate to be declared winner of a presidential election.

Section 134 of the 1999 Constitution provides as follows:

1) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected, where, there being only two candidates for the election:

(a) he has the majority of votes cast at the election; and

Advertisement
(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

(2) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected where, there being more than two candidates for the election:

(a) he has the highest number of votes cast at the election; and

Although commending INEC for their “great job to ensure free, fair, verifiable, credible and transparent elections”, Agbakoba said the clarification was needed.

“I am a little worried,” he said.

“I reviewed section 134 carefully, specifically, subsections 134 (1) (b) and (2) (b), and wondered if “two-thirds of all the States in the federation and the federal capital territory, Abuja” means either of the following:

“a) that a presidential candidate must score not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation which means 24 states, the 24 States will include the federal capital territory Abuja as a “state”, or

“b) that a presidential candidate must score not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the states in the federation which means 24 states and in addition to meeting the one-quarter requirement in 24 states, a candidate must also win one-quarter of the votes cast in the federal capital territory, Abuja.

“In this sense, a presidential candidate must have one-quarter of the votes cast in the federal capital territory, Abuja, in addition to scoring not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in 24 States of the Federation, to be duly elected.”

The former president of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) added that there are three major questions arising from his interpretation.

“(1) Is the requirement that a presidential candidate must score not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of the 36 States of the Federation; does this mean that the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja is incorporated in the 24 States?” the statement reads.

“(2) Is the requirement that a presidential candidate must score not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of the 36 States of the Federation; does it mean that the presidential candidate must also score not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election at the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja?

“(3) Can a candidate that scored not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in 36 States of the Federation but fails to score one-quarter of the votes cast at the election at the Federal Capital Territory, be duly elected as President of Nigeria?

“Finally, Section 134(1)(a) provides that a candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected, where, there being only two candidates for the election, the candidate has the majority of votes cast at the election, but Section 134(2) provides that a candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected where, there being more than two candidates for the election, the candidate has the highest number of votes cast at the election. The Constitution describes the winner in two different languages.

“One, the winner must score the majority of votes and the other, the winner must score the highest number of votes. This is confusing.

“To be honest, I am not quite sure of the right answers to my questions. I just thought to bring this to your attention as something you might wish to clarify to the public.”
APC will be declared winner . Aggressive parties will go to court and the Supreme Court Wiill interprete it as optional to satisfy the two requirements.
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by wegevv: 11:23am On Feb 28, 2023
DeOTR:

You're asking ChatGPT that draws answers from most probably wrong submissions online?
Again, how does "25% in 2/3 of the 36 states and the FCT" translate to "25% in 2/3 of the 36 states and 25% in the FCT"?
This is the main reason why most people don't score up to 50% in English (UTME).

Chatgpt is an AI chatbot. Do you understand what that means? You clearly don't

If you have used it for anything complex you won't say the nonsense you just said lol

But let me see if I can help you understand simple English since you don't want to believe chatgpt:

My friend is in University. He has a course about the Nigerian Constitution.

The lecturer just told him that to pass the course I needs to get 25% in 2/3 of all his projects and his exam.

He has 36 projects. Does this mean he can pass in 25 projects but fail his exam and still pass the course?

Of course not. English is very simple. Projects and Exam are different things just like States and FCT are different. If you think that the people that wrote the constitution made a mistake that is your problem.

But the English is beyond clear. And chatgpt understands that.

You're welcome ❤️

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jibrin Fails To Appear At Ethics Committee Hearing Of Budget Padding Allegation / Nnamdi Kanu : Throw Back September 04, 2017. / Buhari’s Visit Rekindles Ebonyi APC Leadership Tussle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.