Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,860 members, 7,817,542 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer (9803 Views)

Failure To Win 25% In FCT: It Was An Error To Declare Tinubu Winner Says SANs / Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer / Coronavirus: Concerns As Tinubu Fails To Self-isolate After UK Trip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Jagznation(m): 12:52pm On Feb 28, 2023
Bleep

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by wegevv: 1:00pm On Feb 28, 2023
pquaver:

English here is clear.. But English context gives its meaning.. FcT is like a state in Nigeria with special status.. 36 states and FcT... FcT is inclusive in the " 37 states" of Nigeria. Do u now get it..

No I don’t accept that. FCT has no gubernatorial elections or Governor. It really isn’t a state.

I understand the argument you’re making but I could also say that FCT was given special status here because the President appoints the minister that governs it.

We have to respect what the constitution says in plain English and not apply reasoning from outside it ❤️
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by ImpregnaTor(m): 1:00pm On Feb 28, 2023
Bestmanfornow:

You're ignorant

Section 134 of the Constitution provides as follows:

(1) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected, where, there being only two candidates for the election –

(a) he has the majority of votes cast at the election; and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

(2) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected where, there being more than two candidates for the election-
You're the ignorant one, shut up!

The guy was right.
Why should getting at least 25% in FCT be compulsory to win a presidential election? because the Electorates in the FCT are special Nigerians abi? Make una use una head!

They could have said 37 state but since the FCT is not a state that's why they said "and the FCT", that's doesnt me its compulsory to get 25% FCT
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Naajjii: 1:03pm On Feb 28, 2023
Bestmanfornow:

You're ignorant

Section 134 of the Constitution provides as follows:

(1) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected, where, there being only two candidates for the election –

(a) he has the majority of votes cast at the election; and

(b) he has not less than one-quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two-thirds of all the States in the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

(2) A candidate for an election to the office of President shall be deemed to have been duly elected where, there being more than two candidates for the election-
Oga it was a senior lawyer that is asking this question. What this is saying is that even senior lawyers don't understand this. Anybody can interpret it to suit him or her.
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by jimmychang: 1:05pm On Feb 28, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
All we need now is to pray for a better Nigeria and ask God to lead our incoming government right. We don’t need violence

Pray pray pray.....everything pray,ask God.Even God don tire for una self.

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Babaken(m): 1:09pm On Feb 28, 2023
IyaebeTheGreat:
There’s no need to drag anything at this point , let’s just pray for a better Nigeria
fold your hands and be praying so that better naija will come meet you at your door step.
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Midehi3(f): 1:10pm On Feb 28, 2023
gotnel:

The law is not sacrosanct on winning fct as a criteria for winning presidential election.
25 percent of election casted in 25 states of the federation and highest numbers of votes in the presidential election is what the law says.
Yes sir mr lawyer grin cheesy
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by wegevv: 1:12pm On Feb 28, 2023
DeOTR:

It's limited to 2021 which means the bot "cannot give accurate answers to queries that would be connected to events after 2021", so what's your point?
The model was trained from sources like Wikipedia, books, news articles, scientific journals and git repositories.
Again, it was trained on available wrong submissions like the ones being peddled here and there by your likes.
Does it make an authority to explain our law? No.
I use the chat bot daily and I know about it better than you do.
Again, how does "25% in 2/3 of 36 states and the FCT" come to mean "25% in 2/3 of 36 states and 25% in the FCT"?
Even a Mathematical model would represent that statement as 0.25 * (36 + 1).
We're talking about matter of law interpretation in English, you're bringing an answer from a bot that most probably got trained from data from Wikipedia. How ridiculous?

Again, the English language meaning of that section is simple. The AI chatbot shows that. My project example shows that. Ask 100 English scholars to interpret just that section and virtually all of them will say the same thing. You need 25% in FCT.

So the burden is on you guys to prove that the constitution meant something else. But in terms of English language from that section. The meaning is clear. Replace states with something else. Replace FCT with something else. The meaning is remains the same

PS: I like how you tried to pretend that you knew the data only went up to 2021 when you basically said the opposite in your previous post lol. You’re welcome though ❤️

1 Like

Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by pquaver(m): 1:17pm On Feb 28, 2023
wegevv:

No I don’t accept that. FCT has no gubernatorial elections or Governor. It really isn’t a state.

I understand the argument you’re making but I could also say that FCT was given special status here because the President appoints the minister that governs it.

We have to respect what the constitution says in plain English and not apply reasoning from outside it ❤️

It shows you don't understand how the law works, the law applies the context of the law givers and just plain English.. Here people who made the law made FcT a state with special status.. I know how u feel but trust me u r only giving yourself false hope... Which only makes the feeling worse.. U can't make headway with the narrative you are trying to push.. Have a lovely day nwanne
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Gilgil: 1:25pm On Feb 28, 2023
There is no ambiguity here. Its simple English. You need to meet 3 requirements to become Nigerian President Elect on the first ballot:

1. Majority votes nationwide
2. 25% in 24 states
3. 25% in FCT

E.g. To pass GRE, you need to score 310 and above (here meaning majority votes) with 160 in Verbal reasoning (25% in 24 states) AND quantitative reasoning (25% in FCT)

It means you must score 310, then 160 minimum in the subjects mentioned. If you score 200 in verbal and 120 in quantitative, you have failed.
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by DeOTR: 1:37pm On Feb 28, 2023
wegevv:

Again, the English language meaning of that section is simple. The AI chatbot shows that. My project example shows that. Ask 100 English scholars to interpret just that section and virtually all of them will say the same thing. You need 25% in FCT.

So the burden is on you guys to prove that the constitution meant something else. But in terms of English language from that section. The meaning is clear. Replace states with something else. Replace FCT with something else. The meaning is remains the same

PS: I like how you tried to pretend that you knew the data only went up to 2021 when you basically said the opposite in your previous post lol. You’re welcome though ❤️
What did I say that negate the fact that the went went up to 2021? The fact that the model was fed with available data online? If there's anything, you're contradicting yourself.
I guess you know the law better than Falana (SAN).
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by LearnedsConcept(m): 1:39pm On Feb 28, 2023
Obaofaba:
Jagaban is the president elect.

25% in two third of the states AND the FCT means the FCT has been added to the two third of the states

if you understand conditional statement, you wouldn't have said that.

Solve this if you can

(24 == 24 && 1 == 0) will that result to true or false
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Xzevian(m): 1:50pm On Feb 28, 2023
Mike Ogini confirmed a day before election that 25% in Abuja is a must. Watch his interview in the link below

https://mobile.twitter.com/Oyinkitana/status/1630527891900383234/mediaviewer
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by kk2027: 2:03pm On Feb 28, 2023
Miracle no dey tire Jesus
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by LearnedsConcept(m): 2:05pm On Feb 28, 2023
FatherOfJesus:
it says
1. "25% in 24 states of the federation" 2. "And the FCT"
1. Means you need to get 25% in 24 states. 2. You have to get 25% in FCT
bro leave this faulks they already know what it says.

They just want to dance round the bush.
The English was as clear as a crystal
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by LearnedsConcept(m): 2:17pm On Feb 28, 2023
jackcanfield:
Oya State and Capital
Abia Umahia
Akwa Ibom Uyo

Oya Country and Capital
Nigeria Abuja
USA Washington DC

Abuja is the capital of a country not a state.

It's clearly called the Federal Capital Territory, the word Federal should be emphasize.

Even programmers knows the difference between "Or " and "And" statement.

And means all the conditions must be meant

Or Some of the conditions could be meant

shikena

they already know the truth no need preaching it
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Mipoplenty: 3:28pm On Feb 28, 2023
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by jerryforgood: 6:06am On Mar 01, 2023
It is compulsory to score 25% in the FCT, because the president is also the governor of the FCT, since FCT according to the construction is a state, and to become a governor of a star you must score 25% in 2/3 of that state.

So there is going to be a run-off election, between Tinubu and Atiku.
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by Balogunodua(m): 6:08am On Mar 01, 2023
jerryforgood:
It is compulsory to score 25% in the FCT, because the president is also the governor of the FCT, since FCT according to the construction is a state, and to become a governor of a star you must score 25% in 2/3 of that state.

Mke una rest 🤣😂
Re: Tinubu Fails To Make 25% In FCT, It All Becomes Complicated Now- A Lawyer by ImoleNaija: 6:17am On Mar 01, 2023
jerryforgood:

Are you saying winning FCT is a must even if you have to put a knife to the necks of voters in Abuja?

What if the dominating tribe in FCT refuse to vote for any other candidates aside their own, does it mean that no other candidate would ever imerge as the President?

This thing is as simple as ABC nah.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Police Probe Jibrin’s Allegations Against Dogara, Others / Obi Cubana: Army Generals Storm His Anambra Home: Pictures / Ita Enang: APC Risks Losing 2023 Presidential Bid If Buni Committee Remains

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.