Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! (21810 Views)

Why Do OAPs Have British/american Accents? / Niggas Lie Alot! Why Do Nigerian Artistes Lie in Their Songs & Fake Accents / List Of Nigerian Radio Stations That Are Online (stream) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by okadaman2: 3:48pm On Sep 14, 2011
armyofone:

xcuse me, my name is Walter, are you calling me?
which is wader again na prison warder??
grin grin

No be so Una dey call "water" for American Engrishhh?  grin

With "d" sound

It sounds like "warer" but it's actually a "d" sound. Abi I lie?

Very funny accent grin

http://www.pronuncian.com/materials/podcasts/Episode_61.aspx
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by galatico(m): 3:50pm On Sep 14, 2011
It's annoying to see our presenters feign this American accents, they should just be there self instead of trying to emulate the foreign people that sucks.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nobody: 3:51pm On Sep 14, 2011
Inferiority Complex is killing them.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by donugapi(m): 3:54pm On Sep 14, 2011
Sisi_Kill:

Lmao!!! This is why Gbemi from Beat Fm is one of my favorite, the girl keeps it real with her Naija accent unlike that Oreka who sounds as if she's missing her tongue. angry

That heifer makes me cringe whenever I hear her talk, Olisa too is a weist, fake accent,
Gbemi and Freeze are my best radio presenters,

Its annoying cos sometimes i have to turn off my radio whenever I hear some of these fake ppl talking on my radio
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by pinkrex(m): 3:54pm On Sep 14, 2011
Its also funny to see everyone mentioning 'presenters'!!!

Some of us here do it, but nobody can come out to admit it. we only blame and disguise everything angry angry angry angry
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by badesco(m): 3:58pm On Sep 14, 2011
Make be it is compulsory to mimic. They are all bunch of jesters.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by kizito96(m): 4:03pm On Sep 14, 2011
Some of the so called wanna be's have never seen the departure hall of the airport. Complex
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Kellymann: 4:11pm On Sep 14, 2011
pinkrex:

Its also funny to see everyone mentioning 'presenters'!!!

Some of us here do it, but nobody can come out to admit it. we only blame and disguise everything angry angry angry angry

You hit the nail on the head! A greater percentage of everyone here at one time or the other have been guilty of this 'crime', so let no one be claiming 'holy pass' here. The issue is since English is our official language, some people strive hard to speak it like the English man does and in the process end up overdoing it.

If u want to speak English like the Englishman, which is actually the standard spoken English, if u dont know how the Englishman pronounces some words, use ur own tongue to pronounce it how best you can instead of allowing affectation to start making u sound like an idiot even to yourself. Our local accent cant be that bad. Other African countries have their own accented way of speaking English too, the South Africans for example speak English with a very heavy accent and they are cool with it.

Make we no kill ourselves over one yeye accent jawe!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by obowunmi(m): 4:12pm On Sep 14, 2011
ahahahahah! This thread is hilarious.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by sylve11: 4:26pm On Sep 14, 2011
watta gwan ya? grin cool
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by babaowo: 4:28pm On Sep 14, 2011
whang1
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Princek12(m): 4:39pm On Sep 14, 2011
DSTV also has its own blame for contributing to this kasala. All these village girls can now sit in front of a TV showing an American programme and try to practice to speak with an American accent.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by jason2010(m): 4:42pm On Sep 14, 2011
Well people really think that sounding american is the thang to be. They believe that it makes them seem civilized, it make them stand out. I must say that alot of that stuff cracks me up. Ain't yall forgetting somebody with that bogus, fake a-s accent, Pastor Chris?
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Skii(m): 4:52pm On Sep 14, 2011
Infact ehn, the day Olisa made reference on the radio to his time in the UK shocked, I almost hit another car grin
ase it is jand that he has been to, he come dey form yankee accent i mean? tongue
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by vitality22(m): 5:05pm On Sep 14, 2011
I dont think this exists only in the media, i have this female ibo friend that works in Fidelity Bank. Mehn, her fake american accent pisses me off seriously, and she thinks she is impressing me. Gosh, i hardly stand the crap.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by nusdog: 5:06pm On Sep 14, 2011
Not like I do encourage it, but I think the fake accents are cool.

Probably what got us the fifth sexiest English accent in the world!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by kabukabu50(m): 5:13pm On Sep 14, 2011
There is no such thing as a faking an American accent,what those buzzards are doing is faking the "ghetto" accent grin.they watch the music videos and believe that is how all americans speak, wrong,that's how "ghetto folks ",speak walk into your average college here and start yapping like that and everyone will do a double take on you grin.Silly Wanna bees grin.

On the other hand,you can always tell Nigerians here from a mile away, very loud and gesturing wildy, even in the library Keep your voice down you are not in Ajegunle or Mile 2 Market.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by pinkrex(m): 5:27pm On Sep 14, 2011
So nobody here is actually guilty of the Topic shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by kabukabu50(m): 5:29pm On Sep 14, 2011
pinkrex:

So nobody here is actually guilty of the Topic shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked undecided undecided lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I switch when I have to, If I'm in "the hood" talking with american blacks,yes but not in the office or any corporate setting.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by IBILEOMO(m): 5:37pm On Sep 14, 2011
OP, what is your problem with that, mind your stupid business. busy-body
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by DidiLove1: 5:40pm On Sep 14, 2011
All the same, big ups to Yoruba folks keeping it real. Placing 'h' where it's not and taking it out where it is!  grin

eg. My name is Holuwafemi (Oluwafemi) Habiola (Abiola). My ouse (house) is so ot (hot). I will hoff (off) my shirt. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 14, 2011
@Witi
Because they are having Igbotic accent, [size=28pt]Ekiti[/size]/Ijesha/Oyo Accent or Hausa Accent. The best way to hide their accent to use American Accent so dont blame them.

What's Ekiti got to do with this one, egbami!

Actually, if you didnt know, Ekiti ppl are blessed with sexy Ekiti accent so you barely hear them forming fake Italian accent.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by folahann(m): 5:46pm On Sep 14, 2011
Another thing is that they speak it in a way that is so annoying. You can easily tell the person speaking is Nigerian trying to. . .
/
!

Naija own even small well well, come Ghana come see. They're not only trying to copy American accent they also try to copy their lifestyle, terms and alot of things.
eg person fit tell you say "I like ur pants (trousers)" in Ghana

Yet another thing is this fake accent with very poor grammar; WTH
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by beespak7(m): 5:49pm On Sep 14, 2011
Didi Love:

All the same, big ups to Yoruba folks keeping it real. Placing 'h' where it's not and taking it out where it is!  grin

eg. My name is Holuwafemi (Oluwafemi) Habiola (Abiola). My ouse (house) is so ot (hot). I will hoff (off) my shirt. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

ol boi you funny ooh grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 14, 2011
Its for the appeal of the target market. Most young nigerians prefer presenters who feign the accents. Thats just what they prefer. So, the presenters don't do it because they just feel like "forming", but rather the station looks for presenters who can "form" the accent so they can get more young people to listen to their station. For some, it gets boring listening to radio presenters with nigerian accent. Thats the sad truth.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by tampa1871: 6:03pm On Sep 14, 2011
Trying to be something you are not is like killing one's destiny, why can't people just be their unique self?
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by amblors(m): 6:10pm On Sep 14, 2011
Listening to National New, not NTA, the Radio 4'O Clock News you know,
coupled with the fact thats its not always clear,
the accent of the presenters are very thick,
sorry, doesn't appeal to me.
NTA news casters don't seem to me like they're forming and I like their voices.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by hbrednic: 6:14pm On Sep 14, 2011
YOUR PASTORS WITH FAKE GERRY CURLS AND FAKE ACCNTS NKO
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by babeface3: 6:14pm On Sep 14, 2011
This is the funniest thread I have ever come across today. What is the meaning of American Accent? Why not British accent? You are speaking someone's language and you wont strive to go with his accent. Why not shun the language and speak your dialect. I dont get all the fuzz. Or are you talking of american slangs and the likes of it. Hey, Hey, I dont get the fuzz
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by mrmayor(m): 6:21pm On Sep 14, 2011
@K.O.N.Y,

I think it's a Bronx/Brooklyn accent aka Ebonics American accent, happy now, the kind of accent you hear from the The Wire.

The worst offenders are Amanda Douglas of CoolFm Port Harcourt. http://www.coolfm.us/ph959/ and some girl can't remember her name now on LoveFm Port Harcourt.

hbrednic:

YOUR PASTORS WITH FAKE GERRY CURLS AND FAKE ACCNTS NKO 

Ha haha hah grin grin grin now that got me on the floor, I even know an Anglican Reverend with a fake British accent
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by ezeagu(m): 6:21pm On Sep 14, 2011
[size=14pt][center]Ah came frohm amerrrikuurrrr? Ah jus larrrrnded from houstorrrrrrn texarrrrrrrs? tharrrts wai ah spik loik thirrrs?[/center][/size]
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Anvaller: 6:24pm On Sep 14, 2011
I agree with the poster on this issue because presenters in Nigeria dont know what they are doing. It is irritating when u hear these horrible accents, its very shameful. But I beg to differ a bit with others here on this issue. Please when we criticize, we must know how to separate the wheat from th chaffs. Some are just criticizing but they themselves dont even know what a good accent should sound like.

Many Nigerians go ahead and run a fellow Nigerian down because he speaks in british or American accents. Where as, a lot of factors could be responsible for this and so dont be quick to call someone fake when u observe this. As long as any one speaks an accent well, puts the right stress on the right syllable, sounds clear and sharp enough, I dont think there is any justification for running such person down by calling him fake. The point is that the person has mastered a language beyond the grammar and vocabulary by speaking it in the accent of the native speaker. So why would u call such person fake? We must bear it in mind that in International Language Tests, U are tested for reading, writing, listening and Speaking (and this is the where the accent issue comes in) a Nigerian who took a speaking test with a perfect (not horrible) British or american accent would score a significantly higher mark than another Nigerian who of course also speaks good english but with a typical Nigerian accent.

If you would observe, a Nigerian who is being interviewed on eg CNN or BBC speaking the typical Nigerian accent would have his comments re subtitled in English (most especially in special documentaries) because they think the quality of his accent is not clear enough to be understood by all English listeners around the world. Whereas, another Nigerian whose spoken English is may be not completely American or British but that has a relative influence of any of those accents on the way he speaks would not be re-subtitled because it is assumed that his spoken english is clear enough to be understood by all english listeners across the globe. I am only trying to give a reason why we can not just be castigating from a blanket view. The Poster raised th issue of horrible accented presenters, we shouldnt take it over to other Nigerians who have refined their spoken English even up to the accents.

For your information, White ppl also do these and they dont call themselves fake.  Its a common thing to see a German or Swedish for example speaking not only good english but in the british accent and when you wonder if he was birtish, he would tell you that "no I have never lived in britain for any long time but I simply picked up the accent because I have a british girlfriend" in cases like this, they xpect a complement from the enquirer like "wow u must be a genius to have mastered the accent this much just because of your girlfriend"  the enquirer wont say "haaa u are fake, why not speak in German accent?"

So we need to understand these things. Castigate only those who are mocking english by speaking horrible accents and do not include those who have mastered it perfectly well.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians And Their Irregular Tastes For Music. / Flavour - Chinny Baby [OFFICIAL VIDEO] / Download Chris Brown-home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.