Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,215 members, 7,811,591 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! (21799 Views)

Why Do OAPs Have British/american Accents? / Niggas Lie Alot! Why Do Nigerian Artistes Lie in Their Songs & Fake Accents / List Of Nigerian Radio Stations That Are Online (stream) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Yeske2(m): 10:03pm On Sep 14, 2011
Oh boy ye! Check out 4 pages already with enof grammer ontop one winshi oyibo language?
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by thegeorgy(f): 10:12pm On Sep 14, 2011
anvalla.u have spoken real well.God bless u. i really dont know what the fuss is here.Nigerians and their plenty wahala.when u put the right sounds expecially the vowels where it should,they term it fake. u guys should grow up please.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 14, 2011
funny topic - i think its even worse when u are not even sure what accent they are trying to form.

a lot of the popular radio stations are very guilty of this. I can think of a few presenters who have never smelt the inside of a jumbo jet trying to fake american accent - very sad
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Sike(m): 10:58pm On Sep 14, 2011
i'd berra subscribe to this!!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by folahann(m): 11:08pm On Sep 14, 2011
thegeorgy:

anvalla.u have spoken real well.God bless u. i really dont know what the fuss is here.Nigerians and their plenty wahala.when u put the right sounds expecially the vowels where it should,they term it fake. u guys should grow up please.

Na wa o.
So people don't see any difference between good pronunciation and faking accents.

You can speak very good english, grammar, intonation and pronunciation and still keep your originality rather than trying to sound American/British.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by lalaboi(m): 11:10pm On Sep 14, 2011
What about the ones from artistes? grin grin You go fear fear!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by tunde300us(m): 11:44pm On Sep 14, 2011
Anybodi listen to amokachi speak will do more than cringe, and cos he is faking it he struggles to make his point whenever he is on TV.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by ceasyc(f): 12:41am On Sep 15, 2011
@topic - so many of them do it and its soooooo embarrassing

dem guys just do me head in grin

u guys (fake accent) SUCKS
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by amblors(m): 12:44am On Sep 15, 2011
ceasyc:

@topic - so many of them do it and its soooooo embarrassing

dem guys just do me head in grin

u guys + CHICS (fake accent) SUCKS

Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by YoruIgbo(m): 1:02am On Sep 15, 2011
in the Bible holy spirit descend on the apostles and they spoke in different tongue grin grin I guess Nigerians fake accents is based on speaking in different tongue, Infact the one wey tire me pass na Ibo boy wey travel go Germany come back begin speak like Americana lol who is fooling who?
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by ceasyc(f): 1:09am On Sep 15, 2011
@amblors u do well oh 4 d correction but i was referring to both male + female not just men
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by stunna2(m): 1:32am On Sep 15, 2011
okay people, lemme see how to put this so as not to get attacked, aiight! The people on your TV and Radio y'all complaining about, becos you think they sound like americans actually only sound american to yall and they sound perfectly nigerian to those of us who actually live in america!

let me explain why this is so! take those of us who came from nigeria to live in america, when we speak to american born fellow americans, they still pick up that we have a nigerian accent or some kind of accent, but as soon as we step into naija and open our mouth, yall in nigeria hear american accent!!

while technically its very possible to learn to speak with an american accent without having been to america, i doubt ur TV and radio presenters ever do so!

i have seen a few of ur home movies and none of the performers ever have any american accent, so all they try to do is to speak clearer and gbamm just like in secondary school when u try to speak correct english and people attack u and say too much grammar or u speak to police on the streets and he gets offended and say dey there de speak grammar oga!! maybe y'all r just hating!?!

just saying,

please to understand what i mean, look on youtube for 2face visit to the Monique show or D'banj visit to MTV and u can see clearly or hear clearly that none of ur stars have any american accent, ! hope this helps
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by adconline(m): 1:57am On Sep 15, 2011
Naija loves fake and borrowed things. Tell me if any those presenters can speak like this guy? Odein Ajumugobia
http://www.france24.com/en/20110422-goodluck-jonathan-ajumogobia-nigeria-conflict-muslims-buhari-election-christians-vote-ethnic
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by YoruIgbo(m): 2:02am On Sep 15, 2011
$tunna:

okay people, lemme see how to put this so as not to get attacked, aiight! The people on your TV and Radio y'all complaining about, becos you think they sound like americans actually only sound american to yall and they sound perfectly nigerian to those of us who actually live in america!

let me explain why this is so! take those of us who came from nigeria to live in america, when we speak to american born fellow americans, they still pick up that we have a nigerian accent or some kind of accent, but as soon as we step into naija and open our mouth, yall in nigeria hear american accent!!

while technically its very possible to learn to speak with an american accent without having been to america, i doubt your TV and radio presenters ever do so!

i have seen a few of your home movies and none of the performers ever have any american accent, so all they try to do is to speak clearer and gbamm just like in secondary school when u try to speak correct english and people attack u and say too much grammar or u speak to police on the streets and he gets offended and say dey there de speak grammar oga!! maybe y'all r just hating!?!

just saying,

please to understand what i mean, look on youtube for 2face visit to the Monique show or D'banj visit to MTV and u can see clearly or hear clearly that none of your stars have any american accent, ! hope this helps

You lie!!! Very Big Lie,  Are you saying in Nigeria we don't know the difference between Eddy Murphy and Jim Iyke? Hey what is all 'this your, that your' in your story? abi you no be Naija? people like una wey roast cocoyam chop for Naija once una travel una go begin claim oyibo  grin grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by BABE3: 2:16am On Sep 15, 2011
Anvaller:

Surely I would have gone out of mood when u reply.

Will you come back Hia?! angry  grin

Anvaller:

I didnt attack u. If u look at my comment, I was neither rude nor offensive in anyway.

You took me too seriously. No fuss intended.

Anvaller:

If u believe strongly in "faking accent" thing I would convince u further that u are wrong.

lol.

Anvaller:

If u are learning a language, there are 4 main elements u master about that language. 1) Reading 2) Speaking 3) Writing 4) Listening.

Yelz yelz, I learnt that in high school.

Anvaller:

Let me go to number 2 because its what we are discussing now. If u are taking a speaking test in English (the language in question) U would be tested on fluency, (how very well can u speak without pressure) Intonations, (how are u stressing words in relation with  their context in a sentence and the impression of such sentence) and lastly, pronunciation. (How do u pronounce each words, are u placing right stresses on the right syllables?)

Yelz yelz-- Revision.

Anvaller:

Now my sister, if u are one who have mastered these elements correctly, There is no way you would sound like a typical Nigerian when u speak.

Not true. I'm not sure I know what you mean by "typical Nigerian" though-- a Nigerian with an Igbotic/yorubatic accent?

Anvaller:

My question to you, would you say such person is faking an accent?

Why would I say that? When I speak normally (when I'm not faking accents), I sound like a Nigerian/an African. I sound right. I pronounce my words right. I don't have the yoruba accent when I'm speaking normally-----soooo?

Anvaller:

Another thing, many can pick up accent perfectly even if they are living in a place for a short term (1 yr or 2) are they fakes?

Ah Ah!  cheesy That's the problem right there! The word "fake" is rubbing you the wrong way. There's no big deal in faking an accent Mister-- Trust me, it's allowed. wink

To answer your question--They are not fakes, rather they're faking accents.

Anvaller:

I don't know if u are based in Naija or anywhere else but I hope u'd undstand this thing and re-jig your opinion "faking accent".

Opinion not rejigged! I stay in America.

Anvaller:

If u disagree still, in that case, u must agree that the fact that u learn how to express urself in another grammatical structure (english language) totally different from your native grammatical structure (your local language) also implies that u are faking each time u express urself in english and not your mother tongue.

I grew up speaking both. So, your analogy doesn't really work in this situation.

Speaking is different from accentuation (accents).

PS: I could have replied your post earlier. I didn't know it was gonna be this easy. I randomly saw some chunky sentences in the post, and I assumed it was some Harvard sh1t---- lol.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by stunna2(m): 2:36am On Sep 15, 2011
Yoru_Igbo:

You lie!!! Very Big Lie,  Are you saying in Nigeria we don't know the difference between Eddy Murphy and Jim Iyke? Hey what is all 'this your, that your' in your story? abi you no be Naija? people like una wey roast cocoyam chop for Naija once una travel una go begin claim oyibo  grin grin

hahahahahaha!!! i thought i said i didnt want to be attacked, ?? u crack me up!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nymphnode(m): 5:23am On Sep 15, 2011
Somebody mentioned Mannie of cool fm lagos, I heard he talks like that to hide his stammering and he is doing a good job of it. Besides he is even manic than american to me. . . Diversion: What about the agberos(street urchins) who speaks with phlegm in their throat, they are not born that way na, all na practise.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by YoruIgbo(m): 5:26am On Sep 15, 2011
$tunna:

hahahahahaha!!! i thought i said i didnt want to be attacked, ?? u crack me up!

I no attack you o! I just bow the way you take dissociate yourself from Naija  grin grin Infact I was even feeling your fake American accent in your writing because you were using Your this, your that in your post making it look like you self be americana but I know say you be real Naija wey dey use Kuli-kuli drink Garri  tongue
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Anvaller: 8:15am On Sep 15, 2011
@BABE!
[quote][/quote]
"PS: I could have replied your post earlier. I didn't know it was gonna be this easy. I randomly saw some chunky sentences in the post, and I assumed it was some Harvard sh1t---- lol. "
----This is the more reason why I felt disappointed when u left. Whatever message I am, trying to pass across, its my principle to make myself as clear as a glass so ppl can see through me.

Ok Babe! I'd feel no shame if I am giving up to a lady so am giving it up to you. Hahahaha u are the boss!!! Mind u, its not because I have lost the points to hit u back but cos I have lost the mood.

U should have done this right then when I was fuming,  I would never have given in if u were a guy though, I would have handled it as a "chrome-meet-chrome" thing but nah not with a BABE!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by pinkrex(m): 8:31am On Sep 15, 2011
kabukabu50:

I switch when I have to, If I'm in "the hood" talking with american blacks,yes but not in the office or any corporate setting.

Is that your defence of being guilty of the ABOVE or you actually saying you speak it well when you switch undecided undecided undecided
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by omobadan(m): 9:35am On Sep 15, 2011
I think speaking clearly, pronouncing words right etc are usually relevant when say you're dealing with certain non-Nigerian/non-African people. Believe me, a foreigner won't go to Mbaise and expect them to rework their accent for his/her own benefit. Those people don't know how anyway! It's the same thing with someone who has lived in the UK or US for 20years and hasn't been able to shake off their Nigerian accent. These Nigerians have meaningful conversation with these same foreigners in their own country. That's why I don't buy into the faking of accents in Naija. Those people are just silly - end of story! Someone did mentioned maybe those presenters/DJs were trying to appeal to the youth. I seriously doubt that! If that was d case, 9ice's music wont get anywhere because he was singing in Yoruba. I understand our love for the American & British cultures but make we tone it down small small before it gets ridiculous, if it hasn't already sef! undecided
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by BABE3: 9:51am On Sep 15, 2011
Anvaller:

I'd feel no shame if I am giving up to a lady so am giving it up to you. Hahahaha u are the boss!!!

I would never have given in if u were a guy though, I would have handled it as a "chrome-meet-chrome" thing but nah not with a BABE!

LOL--Wow! So folks like you still exist. Interesting.

Does the thread look like a boxing ring? What's your deal?

You're trying so hard to "sound" like a tough guy, but in the process you "sound" like a lame coward. It's just an argument fam. Easy on the testosterone.

Plus, how are you so sure I'm a female for real? (rhetorical question)
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by nateevs(m): 10:26am On Sep 15, 2011
omobadan:

I think speaking clearly, pronouncing words right etc are usually relevant when say you're dealing with certain non-Nigerian/non-African people. Believe me, a foreigner won't go to Mbaise and expect them to rework their accent for his/her own benefit. Those people don't know how anyway! [b]It's the same thing with someone who has lived in the UK or US for 20years and hasn't been able to shake off their Nigerian accent. [/b]These Nigerians have meaningful conversation with these same foreigners in their own country. That's why I don't buy into the faking of accents in Naija. Those people are just silly - end of story! Someone did mentioned maybe those presenters/DJs were trying to appeal to the youth. I seriously doubt that! If that was d case, 9ice's music wont get anywhere because he was singing in Yoruba. I understand our love for the American & British cultures but make we tone it down small small before it gets ridiculous, if it hasn't already sef! undecided

And one of the many reasons Nigerians never most times never make it to the top. If you talk with a Nigerian accent, people cannot understand you. It's just very simple. If you job requires you to be public facing, you have got to learn how to speak clearly and by speaking clearly, pronouncing words the right way.

It is impossible for you to have sound pronunciation without sounding foreign. If you pronounce the word like an American, you will sound American. If you pronounce a word like an English man, you will sound English. Just like it is impossible to have sound pronunciation of Yoruba words and not sound Yoruba.

There is a thing line between "faking an accent" and pronouncing correctly. Some people work diligently to pronounce correctly. You may mistake them for "fakers" and that will be naive. People who pronounce correctly are usually consistent. (At least with the words they know how to pronounce well)

The reason a foreigner will not rework their accent living in a foreign country is because at present, they do not need to do so. A white man if allowed can contest for a seat in House of Reps and will be voted for. If the Nigerian economy is strong and white people migrate to Nigeria, if they have to learn Hausa with the accent to make a living, they will. How do you know they don't know how?
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 15, 2011
@Op, I think the Nigeria accent is way Silky sweet compared to the America accent, but the failure to appreciate that we've got would stil hunt us to the very end.
Now dunno how weird Makajuola n co Sounds while pulling the News @ 9 hits?!
grin
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Anvaller: 11:07am On Sep 15, 2011
BABE!:

LOL--Wow! So folks like you still exist. Interesting.

Does the thread look like a boxing ring? What's your deal?

You're trying so hard to "sound" like a tough guy, but in the process you "sound" like a lame coward. It's just an argument fam. Easy on the testosterone.

Plus, how are you so sure I'm a female for real? (rhetorical question)

Well I wont feel bad if u call me anything, no competition here. I am disappointed u took my last comment very seriously, U didnt read any jokes between my lines well lets leave it here please, I enjoyed my argument with u but u seem very ready to be harsh on me, u are probably the one who is taking this as competition. Honestly, I was expecting u will just LOL, over my comment and thats it. But "lame coward" hmm BABE! I have to run now.

I wish u goodluck, thanks and bye.
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by INFO70: 11:19am On Sep 15, 2011
Does this topic worth discussing
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by Debroslink: 1:09pm On Sep 15, 2011
E DON DO OOOOH!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by AlabaSlim: 1:19pm On Sep 15, 2011
@op liv 'm like dat o
ehen mi ooo i undastand wat d americans speak in dier movies unlike Sir alex fergi whu speakz scottish english & mos tymes i don't undastand a word he sayz-mayb 'm d onli 1 whu doesn't undastand his wordz
infat i h8 british english,don't undastand dier wordz
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by DCONE1(m): 1:24pm On Sep 15, 2011
okay okay okay, so una wey come dey yankey now which language una dey speak, una come fill say una better pass them shay, una don dey feel say una be their God shay,una know their story.una know weda them don travel out self, make God punish una if una come back to naija dey speak like american person and make thunder strike una if una no adapt to our pidgeon or local language when una come back to naija, i don talk my mind, feel free to express ur self or fire me back.mtcheeewwww
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by pinkrex(m): 1:37pm On Sep 15, 2011
DC-ONE:

okay okay okay, so una wey come dey yankey now which language una dey speak, una come fill say una better pass them shay, una don dey feel say una be their God shay,una know their story.una know weda them don travel out self, make God punish una if una come back to naija dey speak like american person and make thunder strike una if una no adapt to our pidgeon or local language when una come back to naija, i don talk my mind, feel free to express your self or fire me back.mtcheeewwww

Complex issues undecided undecided undecided
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by pynkspyce: 4:04pm On Sep 15, 2011
i dont even bother listening to the radio. when folks say stuff like "fantarr" for common fanta? haba!
Re: Fake American Accents On Nigerian Radio & Tv! by amblors(m): 4:08pm On Sep 15, 2011
pynkspyce:

i dont even bother listening to the radio. when folks say stuff like "fantarr" for common fanta? haba!
l
lol, some of em, have mastered the art, so i could say they have learnt it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Flavour - Chinny Baby [OFFICIAL VIDEO] / Abuja Celebrity DJ Davidson Drops Mixtape With Bandhits ( Audio/video) / Bashir Ahmad Congratulates Burna Boy On His Grammy Nomination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.