Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,069 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? (19664 Views)

Help! I'm Addicted To Bread And Beans / 'I Got Addicted To Codeine And Weed After Boko Haram Killed My Husband' - Lady / Woman Who Was Addicted To Drugs Shares New Photos. Checkout Her Transformation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by millionboi2: 12:20pm On Mar 03, 2023
Bullet drink almost did thesame thing to me,but I refused and insist on taking it once in awhile.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by HEBEI: 12:20pm On Mar 03, 2023
cool
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by CaseSensitive(m): 12:21pm On Mar 03, 2023
Alcohol is enjoyable if you don't use it as a form of escapism because if so, it can change you and your ability to face life realities which will inadvertently take over your life. If you're threading that path, reassess your life before it turns into an addiction. Enjoy alcohol, don't abuse it.

I've been through it before and now I have control over how often I drink and quantity. These ones in my little bar could last me six months before I need to refill unless friends visit.

5 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Pharaoh4rin(m): 12:23pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:

Do u know how stupid u sound? From your narrow thinking, my son will probably be your age mate, at least do a simple google search on the subject and understand the concept, whoever said you must have kids or be married to have midlife crisis. Must age be mentioned b4 u use your brain if u’ve one to know that it happens to most middle age adults.

From ur [b]profile, u’ve spent 9months of ur life on NL, true in[/b]dication that u’r either a child with a phone or a jobless youth with no real life responsibilities and making no effort to be profitably engaged, keep wasting ur life here typing and straining ur eyes day and night, by the time u clock 50 and above body go tell u.

Send me a dm or even drop your WhatsApp number so you can see you see who you’re engaging on video call. I don’t blame your father.

Daaaammmmnnnn!! You mean some NLders go as far as checking on someone's else's profile so as to advice, criticize to correct him/her? Imélà

6 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by LordReed(m): 12:24pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:
I never realised that alcohol can be this enjoyable, all my life I’ve always detested ppl that drink, whenever the topic comes up I always remember a certain wealthy man when I was younger, even with all his wealth he would drink himself to stupor every night and vomit, his driver would have to carry him, it was a very bad experience as neighbours to witness those nights especially as a young boy. So I concluded that drinking is unacceptable and I grew up with that ideology, not until recently I’ve started having a rethink.

For sometime now, especially couple of weeks ago leading to last Saturday’s election, I’ve been having a difficult time, I feel like I’m drowning sometimes, maybe it’s midlife’s crisis I don’t know, I don’t know how that feels but what I know is that I was gifted a bottle of expensive vodka last week and I accepted knowing fully well what I was getting into, I knew I was going to step into another phase in my life, I could have sold the drink but no, I kept it.

Like I said already, it’s been rough with me lately, the current cash crunch in the country isn’t helping, the last strew came when last Saturday’s election was announced by 4am, I was awake watching, it struck me like a bolt of lighting, I felt speechless physically but this deep hurt like my soul was groaning. Fast forward to date, I’ve consumed a couple of bottles like bloody mary, VSOP and other spirits which I mix in chilled soft drinks. I so much enjoy this new habit, I can never drink to stupor, I just lock up myself in my lounge, play some music and sip away or lock myself in my car at night and sip with music, I stop when I start feeling a bit sleepy, I just sleep quietly and peacefully. My wife just smells the stuff on me but hasn’t said anything, as I still talk reasonably and even engage her with more humor in those hours, I’ve also noticed that the house is stress-free, no arguments or hard conversations when I consume too.

Here’s my problem guys, deep inside me I know I’m doing something wrong, which is why I’m posting this anyway, even though I feel peaceful when I consume. I wasn’t raised this way, my father was never an alcohol person. I feel something is wrong and somehow I feel like I’m drowning and need help (laughs). I don’t know if this will get worse overtime or if I might be tempted to do more than this in future. I know I can never do drugs, smoke etc but this highness things is eating me, I just finished the last bottle of Strumbras spirit now which I shared with a visitor, I now think it’s even more pleasurable sharing a drink with someone. I’ve ran out of bottles now and I’m considering restocking but I’m led by the spirit to post this, I don’t want preaching, I just want to read other ppl’s comment and experience and how they navigated this phase of life (midlife crisis), preferably elders in the house if any, if you’re 40 and below and have no useful contribution pls don’t comment. I need this to get to FP. Thanks.

I drink moderately and quite sparingly so I know that euphoric and peaceful feeling. I don't think you are doing anything wrong if you aren't getting drunk but if you know that is the path it's leading you to then you should quit now. Another thing to consider is how much money you spend. Even if you aren't getting drunk but find you are beginning to spend significant amounts of money on purchasing drinks then you need to stop. Otherwise I think you are fine, enjoy yourself.

5 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by christistruth01: 12:26pm On Mar 03, 2023
An ex Alcoholic once told me it took him 3 months of non Stop praying to Jesus Christ before ge broke the habit

He started praying after realizing that the Alcohol could kill him

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by tuoyoojo(m): 12:26pm On Mar 03, 2023
I understand how u feel
The last few weeks has been stressful

Wen I heard the election results, it was most depressing

My wife was quick to point out to me the fact I was getting in depression despite the fact that I kept acting as though I was fine

She encouraged me to pray and ask for God's help to give me d spirit of joy and peace

After the short heartfelt prayer,a heavy weight left my heart and I felt better and since I have been in high spirits

I don't know if you r a religious person or not but as humans we are designed to have faith and hope in something....faith in government, faith in institutions, faith in processes.....unfortunately, none of these works in Nigeria.

Being a Nigerian is hard!!

Without faith and hope in something higher , we would easily get into despair.

However, God had always been a reliable constant in Nigeria. Somehow, this country should have been in flames by now but somehow, we are enjoying a delicate peace

So pls my brother, you must resolve by urself to not to let you slip into a habit that would cost you money and ur health while giving you "temporary peace" in return

If you are religious, look to God. He gives you clean, healthy highs that alcohol cannot compare to

Be strong

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Pharaoh4rin(m): 12:28pm On Mar 03, 2023
Your wife is obviously happy with our new life. Do you know why? Because without alcohol you're near perfect and that's what women dislike in us. They like us to behave in a way they can complain; at least drink, smoke, cheat, cause trouble, fight, etc. So my point is, continue.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Soulvein: 12:28pm On Mar 03, 2023
Shebi na person wey get money dey do midlife crises. The average Nigerian has a lot of financial responsibilities and they are always working hard daily to make ends meet.
If you have a problem with alcohol addiction, the best person to see is simply a therapist.

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Salemacad: 12:35pm On Mar 03, 2023
The first question is why are you taking it,if you are taking it just feel like a regular guy out there its call low self esteem,if you feel like tsking it once a while its fine.Taking it excessibly means you need help.
But if 5aking alcohol make you feel like you re doing something wrong to your maker its a clear indication there is a higher calling upon your life maybe you need to discover who you are made to be

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 03, 2023
As long as you exercise some control its not so bad.

Dedicating this to our lovely aunties who introduced us to the stuff when we were young. They made us happy. grin

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by porthouse7(f): 12:39pm On Mar 03, 2023
U should rather masturbate than drinking beer
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by clockwisereport: 12:41pm On Mar 03, 2023
Gard9ner

I went to see somebody that is suffering from second degree alcoholic liver cirrhosis just yesterday. Na so he start. He dey beg for death now but death no gree come

8 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Isabi4lov: 12:44pm On Mar 03, 2023
At least you've identify your problem, if someone prays for you it will be answered.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by LordErrk: 12:44pm On Mar 03, 2023
Speaking from the medical side...
Alcohol increases the risk of getting legions of diseases, 10 fold. I can't even start to list out things that alcohol is a major risk for, but some of them are; pancreatitis, ca pancrease, hepatocellular carcinoma, colorectal carcinoma...the list goes on. When people with these conditions come to our hospital, the first advice they get is to stop, and once they do, their conditions start improving.
I don't drink, simply because I don't want to end up like the patients I treat, and believe me, it's not a nice thing to experience

However, have you tried starting out exercise or taking up a new hobby? After exercise the brain release endorphins and other chemicals that make you less stressed...almost same as what alcohol does

You're just starting this out, please don't listen to people who say drinking in moderation is okay...you may be one of the vast majority whose body doesn't metabolize alcohol maximally

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by LINSAR: 12:51pm On Mar 03, 2023
LordErrk:
Speaking from the medical side...
Alcohol increases the risk of getting legions of diseases, 10 fold. I can't even start to list out things that alcohol is a major risk for, but some of them are; pancreatitis, ca pancrease, hepatocellular carcinoma, colorectal carcinoma...the list goes on. When people with these conditions come to our hospital, the first advice they get is to stop, and once they do, their conditions start improving.
I don't drink, simply because I don't want to end up like the patients I treat, and believe me, it's not a nice thing to experience

However, have you tried starting out exercise or taking up a new hobby? After exercise the brain release endorphins and other chemicals that make you less stressed...almost same as what alcohol does

You're just starting this out, please don't listen to people who say drinking in moderation is okay...you may be one of the vast majority whose body doesn't metabolize alcohol maximally

How about smoking weeed or even putting it in food?
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by SpaceAngel: 12:52pm On Mar 03, 2023
You are just starting alcohol consumption after the age of 40 when others are advised to stop. You start taking little at a time thinking you can control it especially when you are having a hard time. The peace and quiet you have after taking it is somehow artificial and may even come up to depression when the effect clears from your system which will drive you to increasing the quantity you take.

After 40 many latent sicknesses begin showing up and combining with alcohol is bad..

On a lighter note, I took alcohol from my twenties up to my fifties and know what I'm talking of.

It's better you are a teetotaller and face your problems head on with clear eyes at such age than letting alcohol face it for you.

You'll mess up your family and health on the long run.

6 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by mariovito(m): 12:55pm On Mar 03, 2023
Switch to marijuana
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Nkemsplendid: 12:56pm On Mar 03, 2023
Alcoholism will always be a problem. Unfortunately people like you who took to alcohol in the 2nd half of their lives tend towards abuse. I'm not sure why, maybe they try to play catch up.

It's been just a few shitty day so don't be too hard on yourself. We are 40+ so by now we know the full meaning of actions and consequences. Do you want to keep drinking or do you want to analyse what is really wrong and sort it out? I know what a midlife crisis can feel like. My husband almost totally broke down last year.

Why are you losing a zest for life? What are you feeling and why are you feeling it? You may need to ask yourself these tough questions and seek therapy if you need some. Do not alienate your wife, she's by your side for a reason. Do not turn your back on church. The bottle can only give you a momentary high. Only the most high can truly elevate from this emotional pit.

We shall overcome. God's grace.

8 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by authentic18: 12:57pm On Mar 03, 2023
Wetin be midlife crisis undecided
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by mukthar2000(m): 12:57pm On Mar 03, 2023
OP presently my NL peoples are still mourning for their election mandate, but notwithstanding we go still give u little advice as per our NL brotherhood.

*Op distant yourself from the group of friends u are moving with.

* change ur environment.

* try take ur eyes from awuff, the they run belle.

*mingle with a group of inspirational speakers and mature old educated responsible men's.

* Then don't joke with fasting and prayer.

Then come back for testimony soon.

2 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Newman20(m): 1:00pm On Mar 03, 2023

3 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Hectroy(m): 1:00pm On Mar 03, 2023
I know this feeling, more of despair and disappointment, nothing seems to interest you and nothing seems to be working. Thought of having a decent drink is refreshing to keep the mind from delving deep into depression. We are leaving in an insane country and whatever will keep your sanity intact is welcome. But remember to do it in moderation. You possessed a good and pure conscience. It is well with you.
gard9ner:
I never realised that alcohol can be this enjoyable, all my life I’ve always detested ppl that drink, whenever the topic comes up I always remember a certain wealthy man when I was younger, even with all his wealth he would drink himself to stupor every night and vomit, his driver would have to carry him, it was a very bad experience as neighbours to witness those nights especially as a young boy. So I concluded that drinking is unacceptable and I grew up with that ideology, not until recently I’ve started having a rethink.

For sometime now, especially couple of weeks ago leading to last Saturday’s election, I’ve been having a difficult time, I feel like I’m drowning sometimes, maybe it’s midlife’s crisis I don’t know, I don’t know how that feels but what I know is that I was gifted a bottle of expensive vodka last week and I accepted knowing fully well what I was getting into, I knew I was going to step into another phase in my life, I could have sold the drink but no, I kept it.

Like I said already, it’s been rough with me lately, the current cash crunch in the country isn’t helping, the last strew came when last Saturday’s election was announced by 4am, I was awake watching, it struck me like a bolt of lighting, I felt speechless physically but this deep hurt like my soul was groaning. Fast forward to date, I’ve consumed a couple of bottles like bloody mary, VSOP and other spirits which I mix in chilled soft drinks. I so much enjoy this new habit, I can never drink to stupor, I just lock up myself in my lounge, play some music and sip away or lock myself in my car at night and sip with music, I stop when I start feeling a bit sleepy, I just sleep quietly and peacefully. My wife just smells the stuff on me but hasn’t said anything, as I still talk reasonably and even engage her with more humor in those hours, I’ve also noticed that the house is stress-free, no arguments or hard conversations when I consume too.

Here’s my problem guys, deep inside me I know I’m doing something wrong, which is why I’m posting this anyway, even though I feel peaceful when I consume. I wasn’t raised this way, my father was never an alcohol person. I feel something is wrong and somehow I feel like I’m drowning and need help (laughs). I don’t know if this will get worse overtime or if I might be tempted to do more than this in future. I know I can never do drugs, smoke etc but this highness things is eating me, I just finished the last bottle of Strumbras spirit now which I shared with a visitor, I now think it’s even more pleasurable sharing a drink with someone. I’ve ran out of bottles now and I’m considering restocking but I’m led by the spirit to post this, I don’t want preaching, I just want to read other ppl’s comment and experience and how they navigated this phase of life (midlife crisis), preferably elders in the house if any, if you’re 40 and below and have no useful contribution pls don’t comment. I need this to get to FP. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Chuknovski(m): 1:07pm On Mar 03, 2023
Well alcohol is a spirit that is why it opens certain doors and senses, I started drinking all by myself during my service year, I haven't tasted alcohol this year though, and I haven't felt like, just do it in moderation, at least once a month, red wine or whisky would do, just a sip. grin
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Lama70(m): 1:11pm On Mar 03, 2023
My brother, there is nothing to paint in beautiful colours here. You are sinking into a bottomless pit very fast(God forbid!). So fast that you would have become am entire wreck, both physically and financially if you don't quit now. Again, God forbid!

I celebrated 100 days of deliverance from it sometimes last month. I am in my early 50s and life has never been this fantabulous. Dom't let anyone deceive you with any logic or science. That thing is evil.

I can't remember how i played myself into it's evil hands. My fathet was a complete teetotaller. Very clean man. I couldn't say that of myself until God helped me.Bros, drop that thing and run away.!

A word is enough for the wise.

2 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Weallbloom: 1:13pm On Mar 03, 2023
What you are experiencing is a sense of loss and you feel powerless to deal with it. Alcohol may be helping now because it lightens your mood. But long term, it could pose a different problem in your health and general well-being. I don't indulge in it myself so I won't offer you any advice from that standpoint. The fact you have identified the budding experience as a problem means that you also understand that it is not a solution. I think you should have a conversation with your wife. Let her know what you are going through. Don't discuss it in bed. Sit down and talk. Remind her to try to avoid judgement. Also, speak with a priest. Not necessarily your pastor. Be sure the person gives you attention. If he doesn't or starts preaching to you, get up and leave. You can try to sing HU. Check out hearhu.org. Finally, don't judge yourself harshly. You are a spiritual being going through human experience.

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by bikefab(m): 1:17pm On Mar 03, 2023
There's nothing wrong in taking alcohol. As the saying goes, "drink responsibly". Know your limit and stick to it. Don't constitue nuisance.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Blackbishop(m): 1:17pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:

Quite flow with your spirit here but alcohol can only key your problem at bay temporarily. When it clears you are back to your normal life again and the next thing is to drink again to get rid of it which in turn leads to heavy drinking at a point. I’m in almost the same shoe with you and I don’t know how to drink, am having some riots in my mind, sleepless nights and during the day am restless.

But what keeps my mind busy is my business and pushing my business to get to the peak of my career as a mechanic. I count the number of online groups or mentorship programs I have immerse myself. I have virtually no friend at all so understand am an extreme introvert. Imagine the boredom and idle mind would have cause me if I didn’t put efforts in programs and WhatsApp meetings

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by MrFly(m): 1:19pm On Mar 03, 2023
Needless for u to feel sober, u are now a man. Men drink but not to stupor. Welcome
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by omenuwad(m): 1:28pm On Mar 03, 2023
My brother this new found pleasure we consume you if you don't stop now. You don't need much advice you already grew up seeing how alcohol destroyed a neighbour's life. This was the same pleasure my elder brother found when he first started experimenting with alcohol but today he is late. Like you said you don't do drugs but as time goes on you will discover that brand of alcohol you are taking now once your system gets used to it you will begin to crave for something harder that will satisfy ur urge. Please the time to stop is now God will surely help you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

5 Ways To Avoid Razor Bumps / COVID-19: Enugu Begins Decontamination Of Court Premises, Fuel Stations, Others / Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 18 Years Of Waiting (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.