Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,041 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? (19715 Views)

Help! I'm Addicted To Bread And Beans / 'I Got Addicted To Codeine And Weed After Boko Haram Killed My Husband' - Lady / Woman Who Was Addicted To Drugs Shares New Photos. Checkout Her Transformation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Djoel: 1:31pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:
I never realised that alcohol can be this enjoyable, all my life I’ve always detested ppl that drink, whenever the topic comes up I always remember a certain wealthy man when I was younger, even with all his wealth he would drink himself to stupor every night and vomit, his driver would have to carry him, it was a very bad experience as neighbours to witness those nights especially as a young boy. So I concluded that drinking is unacceptable and I grew up with that ideology, not until recently I’ve started having a rethink.

For sometime now, especially couple of weeks ago leading to last Saturday’s election, I’ve been having a difficult time, I feel like I’m drowning sometimes, maybe it’s midlife’s crisis I don’t know, I don’t know how that feels but what I know is that I was gifted a bottle of expensive vodka last week and I accepted knowing fully well what I was getting into, I knew I was going to step into another phase in my life, I could have sold the drink but no, I kept it.

Like I said already, it’s been rough with me lately, the current cash crunch in the country isn’t helping, the last strew came when last Saturday’s election was announced by 4am, I was awake watching, it struck me like a bolt of lighting, I felt speechless physically but this deep hurt like my soul was groaning. Fast forward to date, I’ve consumed a couple of bottles like bloody mary, VSOP and other spirits which I mix in chilled soft drinks. I so much enjoy this new habit, I can never drink to stupor, I just lock up myself in my lounge, play some music and sip away or lock myself in my car at night and sip with music, I stop when I start feeling a bit sleepy, I just sleep quietly and peacefully. My wife just smells the stuff on me but hasn’t said anything, as I still talk reasonably and even engage her with more humor in those hours, I’ve also noticed that the house is stress-free, no arguments or hard conversations when I consume too.

Here’s my problem guys, deep inside me I know I’m doing something wrong, which is why I’m posting this anyway, even though I feel peaceful when I consume. I wasn’t raised this way, my father was never an alcohol person. I feel something is wrong and somehow I feel like I’m drowning and need help (laughs). I don’t know if this will get worse overtime or if I might be tempted to do more than this in future. I know I can never do drugs, smoke etc but this highness things is eating me, I just finished the last bottle of Strumbras spirit now which I shared with a visitor, I now think it’s even more pleasurable sharing a drink with someone. I’ve ran out of bottles now and I’m considering restocking but I’m led by the spirit to post this, I don’t want preaching, I just want to read other ppl’s comment and experience and how they navigated this phase of life (midlife crisis), preferably elders in the house if any, if you’re 40 and below and have no useful contribution pls don’t comment. I need this to get to FP. Thanks.

I sent you a personal message. Your message struck a cord, but there are things I can never share on a public forum. Never mind responding if you have doubts.

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Onyi90(m): 1:34pm On Mar 03, 2023
Alcohol is a gateway drug to other extreme highness, ur inner Man knows the path You're heading isn't right. Be bold to quit now it's Young. You ll definitely regret leta I'm speaking from experience. Thanks 🙏
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Socratiz: 1:34pm On Mar 03, 2023
Every habit begins with a cobweb but ends in metal chains. It may seem harmless now and you think you are in control but this habit will gradually drag you into a pit.

You are using alcohol as a coping mechanism to handle internal turmoil which have not discovered yourself.

I advise you enrol in counseling. The internal vacuum that alcohol fills for you will be identified and a better coping mechanism will be designed.

Don't tell yourself you cannot do drugs. If you continue this way, a time will come that the high you get from alcohol will not be enough and you will be tempted to try something else. That's where drugs will come in. Many of those who are drug addicts start with alcohol.

Please seek for help now. The cost of getting help now will not b much. If you stay longer, it may cost more to get help.

2 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by occfx: 1:36pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:
I never realised that alcohol can be this enjoyable, all my life I’ve always detested ppl that drink, whenever the topic comes up I always remember a certain wealthy man when I was younger, even with all his wealth he would drink himself to stupor every night and vomit, his driver would have to carry him, it was a very bad experience as neighbours to witness those nights especially as a young boy. So I concluded that drinking is unacceptable and I grew up with that ideology, not until recently I’ve started having a rethink.

For sometime now, especially couple of weeks ago leading to last Saturday’s election, I’ve been having a difficult time, I feel like I’m drowning sometimes, maybe it’s midlife’s crisis I don’t know, I don’t know how that feels but what I know is that I was gifted a bottle of expensive vodka last week and I accepted knowing fully well what I was getting into, I knew I was going to step into another phase in my life, I could have sold the drink but no, I kept it.

Like I said already, it’s been rough with me lately, the current cash crunch in the country isn’t helping, the last strew came when last Saturday’s election was announced by 4am, I was awake watching, it struck me like a bolt of lighting, I felt speechless physically but this deep hurt like my soul was groaning. Fast forward to date, I’ve consumed a couple of bottles like bloody mary, VSOP and other spirits which I mix in chilled soft drinks. I so much enjoy this new habit, I can never drink to stupor, I just lock up myself in my lounge, play some music and sip away or lock myself in my car at night and sip with music, I stop when I start feeling a bit sleepy, I just sleep quietly and peacefully. My wife just smells the stuff on me but hasn’t said anything, as I still talk reasonably and even engage her with more humor in those hours, I’ve also noticed that the house is stress-free, no arguments or hard conversations when I consume too.

Here’s my problem guys, deep inside me I know I’m doing something wrong, which is why I’m posting this anyway, even though I feel peaceful when I consume. I wasn’t raised this way, my father was never an alcohol person. I feel something is wrong and somehow I feel like I’m drowning and need help (laughs). I don’t know if this will get worse overtime or if I might be tempted to do more than this in future. I know I can never do drugs, smoke etc but this highness things is eating me, I just finished the last bottle of Strumbras spirit now which I shared with a visitor, I now think it’s even more pleasurable sharing a drink with someone. I’ve ran out of bottles now and I’m considering restocking but I’m led by the spirit to post this, I don’t want preaching, I just want to read other ppl’s comment and experience and how they navigated this phase of life (midlife crisis), preferably elders in the house if any, if you’re 40 and below and have no useful contribution pls don’t comment. I need this to get to FP. Thanks.

Alcohol is bad but we need it in a controlled quantity. The problem is, we always take overdose. I am only pitying my liver because, I consume alot. Again, it's expensive to pocket and you may go down to low quality ones if there is no cash. If you can maintain the correct prescription, you are good to go. Trust the best of alcohol is original palmwine. Alcohol is anti depressant, and it helps us crossover and avoid some avoidable trouble. I wonder how men who don't drink cope with family wahala. Your wife may be enjoying your new life expecially if you belong to the men alcohol helps in the other room.

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Gidabiller2: 1:38pm On Mar 03, 2023
meobizy:
Mid-life crisis without a mention of age or children, is that one a mid-life crisis? Welcome to Nairaland where people born in 2011 can claim 50 years of age.

As u don collect woto woto now, ur body go calm through out today grin

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Chris2863(m): 1:42pm On Mar 03, 2023
Ishilove:
Op said 40 and below should not comment, but na under-20 dey comment pass. Smh
🤣
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by gard9ner(m): 1:44pm On Mar 03, 2023
Djoel:

I sent you a personal message. Your message struck a cord, but there are things I can never share on a public forum. Never mind responding if you have doubts.
I’ve responded. I welcome any illuminating discussion.

2 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Timsilver(m): 1:45pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:

There's nothing seeing with you or the habit.

From your right up you are doing just fine.

See the bolded.

Been sober can not buy that.

At this stage of life your sleep and good night rest is of utmost importance.

Anything that would deprive you of good sleep would harm you.

Hope your Blood pressure is normal and if it is your new found habit might help you maintain it.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Telldem1(m): 1:45pm On Mar 03, 2023
ThothHermes:
Meobizy don collect😁😁😁
Everytime na to talk rubbish. Shebi your body don come down now. Ode.
grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Originalsly: 1:49pm On Mar 03, 2023
The wealthy guy that was drinking to a stupor didn't start that way.
No addict starts out as an addict ... and no addict at first ever believed he can degenerate to become an addict. Should I ask you if you can ever see yourself drinking to a stupor... you will rain curses on me to even think such can be possible. You started out by taking a sip from a gifted bottle of Vodka ... Vodka added to soda ... what stage are you at now? ... adding soda to Vodka? ... straight Vodka? ... sips or by the glass? ... or straight from the bottle? Did you wait for another gift?... now you go and buy ... and venture into other brands.... on the way to addiction. It is good that you recognize you're on the wrong path. My advice to you is reak off immediately... pour away what you have... and commit yourself to stay off. If your mind is not made up and strong... there is nothing anybody can do or tell you to break the habit.

2 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by jeff1607(m): 1:50pm On Mar 03, 2023
meobizy:
Mid-life crisis without a mention of age or children, is that one a mid-life crisis? Welcome to Nairaland where people born in 2011 can claim 50 years of age.

Kids will always be kids

2 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by dejaiiro(m): 1:50pm On Mar 03, 2023
Well for those of us that take it, technically there is nothing wrong with taking alcohol, its when you abuse it that it becomes an issue, however if a part of you feels is wrong then I would advise and suggest you try to abstain from it and look for other ways to escape the feeling

N.B
Anything done in excess is not good
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Schoolguy9(m): 1:58pm On Mar 03, 2023
Calm down, we're here.

As something push you to post this, that's how something pushed me to stay and say something. Though, the things can be different.

1. Now, it's your choice.

2. No matter what eats you up, do not over do things.

3. You're are probably trying out new things! So, it might look sweet.

There is nothing absolutely wrong with taking alcohols except for teenager, for those who take it for the wrong reasons like to fig.ht, ra.pe or Leak sensitive information. Mind this one very well.

Normally, if friends want you to open up, they get you drunk and you tell it all.

And the next, except for those who do not have the money!

Lols, ok. The funny thing is that the more you take, the more you want to take! Make sure you can control yourself.

The problem with those who say that they will never drink but later end up doing so is that it's difficult to keep other promises.

It can also be a phase of life; you can also get out of it and no matter what happens, don't teach it to your younger children.

In all, enjoy!
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Mayeldah(m): 2:02pm On Mar 03, 2023
So Tinubu has now made one more Nigerian a drunkard?

Tinubu will not be President. We will reclaim out mandate

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by LyfeJennings(m): 2:04pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:

Do u know how stupid u sound? From your narrow thinking, my son will probably be your age mate, at least do a simple google search on the subject and understand the concept, whoever said you must have kids or be married to have midlife crisis. Must age be mentioned b4 u use your brain if u’ve one to know that it happens to most middle age adults.

From ur profile, u’ve spent 9months of ur life on NL, true indication that u’r either a child with a phone or a jobless youth with no real life responsibilities and making no effort to be profitably engaged, keep wasting ur life here typing and straining ur eyes day and night, by the time u clock 50 and above body go tell u.

Send me a dm or even drop your WhatsApp number so you can see you see who you’re engaging on video call. I don’t blame your father.

God bless U egbon

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Prometheus666: 2:06pm On Mar 03, 2023
Alcohol alone during midlife crisis is dangerous. But Alcohol taken while smoking weed works better while you research on deep mechanics of the universe.

Awakening to your ignorance of our conventional programming is all you need to become a greater version of yourself.

I recommend that men take a little alcohol and weed and quit them with time so they can activate cerebral sensors of their organism for better connectivity to ether.

My advice? Get some weed
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by zakkxx: 2:10pm On Mar 03, 2023
When you destroy your liver finish your eye go clear! Repent now or you will waste your money, live in regret, and burn in Hell forever. Oga be wise oo

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by badonkadonk: 2:11pm On Mar 03, 2023
meobizy:

Must you have wife/children to qualify for midlife crisis?
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by 0monnak0da: 2:11pm On Mar 03, 2023
Possibly you have depression,anxiety and insomnia and are self medicating
See a doctor,develop an exercise routine, learn and practise medication and
STOP drinking. Just stop
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by skillmyman(m): 2:12pm On Mar 03, 2023
Good day Op,
From my experience, I think such things are seasonal. As we grow older, we become more liberal and we tend to keep things bothering us to ourselves.
From the way you sound, you have done well for yourself. Your wife is reasonable too because if it was some other women, they will raise hell by just by the smell of alcohol on you. I will advice you speak to her about it or if you have someone you look up to, you can talk to the person too or your first child if he/she can handle it.
Things always get better and your case will not be different.

4 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by 0monnak0da: 2:13pm On Mar 03, 2023
meobizy:
Sometimes when a person leaves a room it feels like someone has entered
Silence can be much louder than talking sometimes

2 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by CodeTemplar: 2:19pm On Mar 03, 2023
Something just struck OP and boooom he started drinking. Something unseen. Be healed.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by gard9ner(m): 2:23pm On Mar 03, 2023
CaseSensitive:
Alcohol is enjoyable if you don't use it as a form of escapism because if so, it can change you and your ability to face life realities which will inadvertently take over your life. If you're threading that path, reassess your life before it turns into an addiction. Enjoy alcohol, don't abuse it.

I've been through it before and now I have control over how often I drink and quantity. These ones in my little bar could last me six months before I need to refill unless friends visit.
Thanks bro.
Nice bar
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Allisgud: 2:23pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:

this song just came up now.people by libianca
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Konjiboii: 2:25pm On Mar 03, 2023
The key is to drink in moderation, hangover is such a nasty and sickening experience so just know your limit and stick with it.
There's nothing wrong having liquor once once.
Personally I prefer red wine I like the buzz it gives me, only on rare occasion I drink gin or cognac, I smoke blao too and it's all good as long as your head can take it.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:

It’s not midlife crisis.
You need the power of the Holy Ghost to break away from such.
Start with acts 2:38 and then read your Bible constantly.
Also download and listen/read William Marrion Branham sermons online.

God helped me. May He also help you too.

3 Likes

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by LordErrk: 2:26pm On Mar 03, 2023
LINSAR:

How about smoking weeed or even putting it in food?

Smoking anything impairs lung health and increases the risk of lung carcinoma

Putting it in or edibles is definitely safer than smoking it. It hasn't been proven to damage the lungs though.

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by jimmychang: 2:35pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:

Sir in short, deep down you are not happy.

That drowning feeling omo.I have experienced it and I start smoking not weed but cigarette.I just smoke till my body gets hot and I bath them boom sweet sleep.

Search deep down sir or just take a break or vacation, this is for your mental health ooh.No loose your sanity before you turn drunkard and transfer aggression to your wife.

Or just learn to drink responsibly.

1 Like

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by davillian(m): 2:36pm On Mar 03, 2023
Moh247:
Never exceed the limit of alcohol

not more than 2 standard drinks per day (and not more than 14 standard drinks per week).

Don't drink in the morning
What's the point of drinking alcohol without the intention of getting high ?
It's better you take coke or fruit juice
And leave alcohol alone....
There is no point drinking without getting high at least get tipsy
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by gard9ner(m): 2:37pm On Mar 03, 2023
Nkemsplendid:
Alcoholism will always be a problem. Unfortunately people like you who took to alcohol in the 2nd half of their lives tend towards abuse. I'm not sure why, maybe they try to play catch up.

It's been just a few shitty day so don't be too hard on yourself. We are 40+ so by now we know the full meaning of actions and consequences. Do you want to keep drinking or do you want to analyse what is really wrong and sort it out? I know what a midlife crisis can feel like. My husband almost totally broke down last year.

Why are you losing a zest for life? What are you feeling and why are you feeling it? You may need to ask yourself these tough questions and seek therapy if you need some. Do not alienate your wife, she's by your side for a reason. Do not turn your back on church. The bottle can only give you a momentary high. Only the most high can truly elevate from this emotional pit.

We shall overcome. God's grace.
God bless you dear.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by EDIBLESS10: 2:37pm On Mar 03, 2023
midlife crisis and u have a car, a wife and probably kids with u. so tell me what u are disappointed about? or u just refused to tell us u now have a friend that has lured u into drinking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Facial Treatment With Live Snail / Beware Of Swimming Pools / What Are Your Allergies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.