Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,708 members, 7,831,213 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? (19705 Views)

Help! I'm Addicted To Bread And Beans / 'I Got Addicted To Codeine And Weed After Boko Haram Killed My Husband' - Lady / Woman Who Was Addicted To Drugs Shares New Photos. Checkout Her Transformation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Fujiyama: 6:53pm On Mar 03, 2023
Mom007:
I remember growing up and my Dad used to take snuff like every Friday when he returns from work... He said he started taking it as treatment for a stuffy nose and it just stuck... One day, it dawned on him that he was literally now looking forward to Fridays so he could take his snuff... He never used snuff again after that day.

^^^

And that's why I rotate my days of sin...so that each day of the week eventually gets its turn...grin

I'm sorry - I couldn't resist that. cheesy
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by Inali: 8:09pm On Mar 03, 2023
gard9ner:
I never realised that alcohol can be this enjoyable, all my life I’ve always detested ppl that drink, whenever the topic comes up I always remember a certain wealthy man when I was younger, even with all his wealth he would drink himself to stupor every night and vomit, his driver would have to carry him, it was a very bad experience as neighbours to witness those nights especially as a young boy. So I concluded that drinking is unacceptable and I grew up with that ideology, not until recently I’ve started having a rethink.

For sometime now, especially couple of weeks ago leading to last Saturday’s election, I’ve been having a difficult time, I feel like I’m drowning sometimes, maybe it’s midlife’s crisis I don’t know, I don’t know how that feels but what I know is that I was gifted a bottle of expensive vodka last week and I accepted knowing fully well what I was getting into, I knew I was going to step into another phase in my life, I could have sold the drink but no, I kept it.

Like I said already, it’s been rough with me lately, the current cash crunch in the country isn’t helping, the last strew came when last Saturday’s election was announced by 4am, I was awake watching, it struck me like a bolt of lighting, I felt speechless physically but this deep hurt like my soul was groaning. Fast forward to date, I’ve consumed a couple of bottles like bloody mary, VSOP and other spirits which I mix in chilled soft drinks. I so much enjoy this new habit, I can never drink to stupor, I just lock up myself in my lounge, play some music and sip away or lock myself in my car at night and sip with music, I stop when I start feeling a bit sleepy, I just sleep quietly and peacefully. My wife just smells the stuff on me but hasn’t said anything, as I still talk reasonably and even engage her with more humor in those hours, I’ve also noticed that the house is stress-free, no arguments or hard conversations when I consume too.

Here’s my problem guys, deep inside me I know I’m doing something wrong, which is why I’m posting this anyway, even though I feel peaceful when I consume. I wasn’t raised this way, my father was never an alcohol person. I feel something is wrong and somehow I feel like I’m drowning and need help (laughs). I don’t know if this will get worse overtime or if I might be tempted to do more than this in future. I know I can never do drugs, smoke etc but this highness things is eating me, I just finished the last bottle of Strumbras spirit now which I shared with a visitor, I now think it’s even more pleasurable sharing a drink with someone. I’ve ran out of bottles now and I’m considering restocking but I’m led by the spirit to post this, I don’t want preaching, I just want to read other ppl’s comment and experience and how they navigated this phase of life (midlife crisis), preferably elders in the house if any, if you’re 40 and below and have no useful contribution pls don’t comment. I need this to get to FP. Thanks.
hey man, sometimes a man needs an escape from his reality. As men, alot of things bother us and we need a break from the chase or whatever.

I'm sayijg this cos I can totally relate with you. I even have a bottle in my freezer sef lol.

You ain't doing anything bad Baba, just don't drink beyond your limit. You're good.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by qtx(m): 8:41pm On Mar 03, 2023
Moh247:
Never exceed the limit of alcohol

not more than 2 standard drinks per day (and not more than 14 standard drinks per week).

Don't drink in the morning
It's a matter of time the qty he currently takes will no longer satisfy him, he will definitely advance beyond the qty.thats how it used to happen.my advise: from. Your analysis it hasn't become a habit yet so it's still easier to stop now.do all you can to stop it my brother and thank me later.Alcohol is not good. It comes small small like a joke before you say JACK you will be fasting and praying forit to leave you.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by dontrulee: 10:56pm On Mar 03, 2023
wingmanIII:

Nah! Not true, alcohol doesn't control you. I know many octogerians who have been drinking beer/ palmwine for more than 70 decades. Spirits are deadly though

It's okay Bro, continue.
Please continue, grin grin
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by donhils: 12:29am On Mar 04, 2023
Moh247:

not more than 2 standard drinks per day (and not more than 14 standard drinks per week).

What happens when you drink in the morning?
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by SaturnNick(m): 3:25am On Mar 04, 2023
Dogalmighty17:
What are you capping? Alcohol brings out the real person in you. Yes, don't abuse it ofcourse. But there's nothing wrong with drinking. I'm currently on my 9th bottle of trophy and you see I'm still very functional. So long as you have handled every financial need in your home, then please enjoy your liquor. Don't allow anyone guilt trip you.
Camrade grin grin grin cool cool cool
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by ForgetfulJones: 8:54am On Mar 04, 2023
shantti:
If I drink 1 and half bottle of beer, I become drunk automatically and experience a very throbbing headache. I don't know how u guys finish 4 or 5 bottles of beer. Una dey try
drink a lot of water after alcohol, you won't get the headache.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by mystry(m): 9:54am On Mar 04, 2023
gard9ner:
I never realised that alcohol can be this enjoyable, all my life I’ve always detested ppl that drink, whenever the topic comes up I always remember a certain wealthy man when I was younger, even with all his wealth he would drink himself to stupor every night and vomit, his driver would have to carry him, it was a very bad experience as neighbours to witness those nights especially as a young boy. So I concluded that drinking is unacceptable and I grew up with that ideology, not until recently I’ve started having a rethink.

For sometime now, especially couple of weeks ago leading to last Saturday’s election, I’ve been having a difficult time, I feel like I’m drowning sometimes, maybe it’s midlife’s crisis I don’t know, I don’t know how that feels but what I know is that I was gifted a bottle of expensive vodka last week and I accepted knowing fully well what I was getting into, I knew I was going to step into another phase in my life, I could have sold the drink but no, I kept it.

Like I said already, it’s been rough with me lately, the current cash crunch in the country isn’t helping, the last strew came when last Saturday’s election was announced by 4am, I was awake watching, it struck me like a bolt of lighting, I felt speechless physically but this deep hurt like my soul was groaning. Fast forward to date, I’ve consumed a couple of bottles like bloody mary, VSOP and other spirits which I mix in chilled soft drinks. I so much enjoy this new habit, I can never drink to stupor, I just lock up myself in my lounge, play some music and sip away or lock myself in my car at night and sip with music, I stop when I start feeling a bit sleepy, I just sleep quietly and peacefully. My wife just smells the stuff on me but hasn’t said anything, as I still talk reasonably and even engage her with more humor in those hours, I’ve also noticed that the house is stress-free, no arguments or hard conversations when I consume too.

Here’s my problem guys, deep inside me I know I’m doing something wrong, which is why I’m posting this anyway, even though I feel peaceful when I consume. I wasn’t raised this way, my father was never an alcohol person. I feel something is wrong and somehow I feel like I’m drowning and need help (laughs). I don’t know if this will get worse overtime or if I might be tempted to do more than this in future. I know I can never do drugs, smoke etc but this highness things is eating me, I just finished the last bottle of Strumbras spirit now which I shared with a visitor, I now think it’s even more pleasurable sharing a drink with someone. I’ve ran out of bottles now and I’m considering restocking but I’m led by the spirit to post this, I don’t want preaching, I just want to read other ppl’s comment and experience and how they navigated this phase of life (midlife crisis), preferably elders in the house if any, if you’re 40 and below and have no useful contribution pls don’t comment. I need this to get to FP. Thanks.

I think you are more of a writer than an alcoholic. So I doubt your story
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by gard9ner(m): 11:09am On Mar 04, 2023
mystry:

I think you are more of a writer than an alcoholic. So I doubt your story
Yes, I’ve authored several books and published scholarly articles in reputable journals, but my story is true. How do you even I write?
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by patosky3310(m): 2:16pm On Mar 04, 2023
Moh247:

A bottle of beer in Nigeria has three standard drinks. Is this true? I want to confirm this information I saw online.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by ajerimitan: 8:04am On Mar 06, 2023
You need to control it if possible avoid it. Alcohol is good with limits put in place. But soon enough you will find it controlling you as you struggle with it against your wish. The researchers attached to the breweries added a subtle chain onsite that tiny bottle you see tiny enough to make you overlook but strong enough to keep you bounded to it. I take raddler and ice but its just like every other day. I took it too often and started feeling the crave for it. So I give the gap again.
Re: Midlife Crisis: Am I Slowly Becoming Addicted To Alcohol? by LordReed(m): 10:51am On Nov 26, 2023
patosky3310:

A bottle of beer in Nigeria has three standard drinks. Is this true? I want to confirm this information I saw online.

Not really. A standard drink of beer is about 350ml while most bottles of beer are 750ml so just about 2 standard drinks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

COVID-19: Enugu Begins Decontamination Of Court Premises, Fuel Stations, Others / COVID-19 Testing Resumes In Kano / Beware Of Swimming Pools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.