Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,955 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:08 PM

How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe (18187 Views)

Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / Dad Killed 15ft Python Trying To Swallow His Son In Australia(Pics) / Zimbabwean Mother-in-law Demands Sex From Son-in-law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Xcelinteriors(f): 3:50pm On Mar 03, 2023
temitope27:
It's in every tribe a male child is so important

Without a male child, no one to carry the man name
But the wife can also marry a young girl that can get pregnant anywhere and bear male kids that will continue her husband's name. Some part of igbos accept bastar_d
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Jsucre(m): 3:52pm On Mar 03, 2023
Is very important than Obi to rule zoo
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Alusiizizi(m): 3:57pm On Mar 03, 2023
Vincenzomum:
I am married to a Igbo man. We are based in Italy. We have 4 children 3 together. I have 3 girls for him. I tested positive for baby number 5 and we were discussing about the gender, my husband said something that makes me feel so bad.

He wants a son so bad. He said in Igbo tribe, a man is nothing without a son. I asked him what if we had another baby girl he said he will have no choice but to go to Nigeria and marry another woman who will bear sons for him so he can be a real man.

I asked him if he was serious then he changed his words saying he was joking, he doesn't mind the sex of our baby as long as the baby is healthy that is what matter.

I have been restless since he has mentioned about marrying a second wife even though he said it was a joke but I know that he wasn't joking, he was serious.

I want to know from igbo people, is it true that a man is nothing without a son and also what if the wife only bore female children is it compulsory for the man to marry a second one in Igbo tribe to bear him sons?

In the Igbo tribe a male heir is of utmost importance because this is the only way that your husband can continue his lineage, additionally, a man is considered to be childless in Igbo Land if he hasn't borne at least one son, so if you are unlucky enough to bear a fifth girl for him then expect to become the first of his two or more wives in the near future.
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Adaobiii: 4:00pm On Mar 03, 2023
SUPERPACK:
It has to do with inheritance rights in igboland. Only a male is considered when it comes to inheritance, it is also important for the family name to continue in Igbo culture and only a man can do this.

By right it is not compulsory to have a male child and only your husband can decide if he needs one badly and cannot forgo.

I know so many Igbo couple living happily without a male child and are now old.

I am Igbo too and place no importance on male child, all children are important and non is more important than the other.
Stop giving people false information.
Women inherit property in Igbo land now!!!!!!!
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by 3duj: 4:06pm On Mar 03, 2023
Vincenzomum:
I am married to a Igbo man. We are based in Italy. We have 4 children 3 together. I have 3 girls for him. I tested positive for baby number 5 and we were discussing about the gender, my husband said something that makes me feel so bad.

He wants a son so bad. He said in Igbo tribe, a man is nothing without a son. I asked him what if we had another baby girl he said he will have no choice but to go to Nigeria and marry another woman who will bear sons for him so he can be a real man.

I asked him if he was serious then he changed his words saying he was joking, he doesn't mind the sex of our baby as long as the baby is healthy that is what matter.

I have been restless since he has mentioned about marrying a second wife even though he said it was a joke but I know that he wasn't joking, he was serious.

I want to know from igbo people, is it true that a man is nothing without a son and also what if the wife only bore female children is it compulsory for the man to marry a second one in Igbo tribe to bear him sons?

1) that you have only given birth to females isn’t your fault but your husbands- make him understand this scientifically known fact

2) the Igbo tribe places much emphasis on a male child as we had no kings but were governed by the “ishi okparas” ie the council of first sons led by the oldest among them. Males were the only ones to inherit from their late dads. That’s not to say that the women where treated too badly, a married woman had her hut and piece of farmland mostly till death- in fact, most communities had special plots of lands that women without children or husbands farm. Even then,we had a custom that a man with only daughters can come to an agreement with a groom that a son from his marriage to a daughter will carry the family name or one of the daughter remains unwed and any child she bears from relationship with men automatically belongs to her dad

But the above is history , this days women inherit their dads personal wealth (emphasis on personal) on his death.A will handles such an issue’s and lately the SE states (Abia for instance) and the Supreme Court of Nigeria makes it legal for women to inherit
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by endy69: 4:11pm On Mar 03, 2023
folake4u:

Thank you for this. Parents should love their kids irrespective of the gender.

@the bolded. My father does this too. He place value more on us female kids than my brother. cheesy
Females are very loveable creations. Emotionally wise and always knows when their parents or brothers are in bad state. God bless every girl Child out there.
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Alusiizizi(m): 4:12pm On Mar 03, 2023
frozen70:

But is he aware that he is the determinant factor for a male child because he has the Y chromosomes

I am beginning to suspect that this is not nearly as simple as it appears. For example, did you know that male lions have the genes to grow to more than twice as large as they usually do and that the only reason that they do not is that there are alleles in the X chromosome(from female lions) that prevent them from doing so. The most accepted explanation for why this X mediated genetic action evolved in the first place is because giant lions will find it difficult to integrate into the strongly social structure that characterizes lion "society" thereby putting the species as a whole at a disadvantage.

The reason why I bring this up is because it is possible that something analogous might possibly be happening in humans. The one thing that I have noticed is that of women that have borne many all-female offspring the vast majority of them seem to have descended from riverine societies.

Also note that statistically boys are actually more likely to be born than girls by some 5% or so(although this statistical advantage does decrease a bit with age).
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by KingMack(m): 4:15pm On Mar 03, 2023
marvellous2222:
I don't know weither you think before you type trash, you've access to 10mb everyday doesn't mean you shouldn't know how to control your mentality

You be real big born fuu!!!
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by DisGuy: 4:16pm On Mar 03, 2023
Romanoff:
Hmmm.

Even if the man is woke, if his extended family isn't woke, I pray you have where to get male child guaranteed.

Cause in many cases I've seen, a wife who doesn't have a male child for her igbo husband is sitting on a one legged chair in that marriage.

It's even worse if the wife isn't a fellow Igbo woman. Igbo women can't inherit their father's property culturally and even when it comes to their husband's property, they are thrown out if they don't have a son.

In all these what do the women in the other family think? The wife of the 'wicked' uncle that is going to takeover their late brothers property, the daughter of the wicked uncles...do they support it, they look away or they just don't have a say in the matter concerning another igbo woman like them?
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by folake4u(f): 4:18pm On Mar 03, 2023
endy69:

Females are very loveable creations. Emotionally wise and always knows when their parents or brothers are in bad state. God bless every girl Child out there.

Yes, that is very correct.

Female children are very observant too and will come through for their families.

Amen. God bless yours also. smiley
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by DisGuy: 4:18pm On Mar 03, 2023
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by 07kjb: 4:23pm On Mar 03, 2023
Adaobiii:

Woman have no right of INHERITANCE in Igbo land,stop deceiving your self

2 Likes

Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by yommen: 4:24pm On Mar 03, 2023
WritterNig:
Super important.

Not just Igbo. Every tribe or ethnic group around the world.

Na wa o. Oyinbo no dey bother themselves abeg. Bill Clinton only has one daughter. Barrack Obama has two daughters without issues. Only speak for yourself.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by BossGerald: 4:31pm On Mar 03, 2023
Draslo:
He has told you his mind. Even if he is truly joking and is a forward thinker, his backwards people back home will make him think otherwise. They will chase you away while they will reap where they did not sow. They're the only tribe in Nigeria that has a special name for the first born daughter but that's where it ends. She no get relevance again until she is getting married so others will come again to reap where they did not sow. Thank your stars you're abroad otherwise, you can start sewing black cloth and practice drinking corpse water

Make una quote me. I am ready.

You're just senile
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Justbehave(m): 4:53pm On Mar 03, 2023
endy69:
I am igbo and I even place value more on female children. They are very lovely but in all, male or female just love your kids. Dead man no know wetn be family name. The present igbo generation place no emphasis on male child. Male or female I thank God and will love him or her
Nice you were speaking just for your self and not the Igbos. Only weak men gives birth to female kids only.
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by frozen70(f): 4:53pm On Mar 03, 2023
Alusiizizi:

I am beginning to suspect that this is not nearly as simple as it appears. For example, did you know that male lions have the genes to grow to more than twice as large as they usually do and that the only reason that they do not is that there are alleles in the X chromosome(from female lions) that prevent them from doing so. The most accepted explanation for why this X mediated genetic action evolved in the first place is because giant lions will find it difficult to integrate into the strongly social structure that characterizes lion "society" thereby putting the species as a whole at a disadvantage.

The reason why I bring this up is because it is possible that something analogous might possibly be happening in humans. The one thing that I have noticed is that of women that have borne many all-female offspring the vast majority of them seem to have descended from riverine societies.

Also note that statistically boys are actually more likely to be born than girls by some 5% or so(although this statistical advantage does decrease a bit with age).

Only science can prove otherwise
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Senkasa(m): 4:53pm On Mar 03, 2023
folake4u:

@the bolded. My father does this too. He place value more on us female kids than my brother. cheesy

That doesn't make the female any important in Igbo culture and Nigeria at large undecided

You are still second class gender tongue grin
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Justbehave(m): 4:56pm On Mar 03, 2023
folake4u:

Yes because he is aware that your brother is not his biological son.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Alusiizizi(m): 4:57pm On Mar 03, 2023
frozen70:

Only science can prove otherwise

Apologies but I do not understand.
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by endy69: 4:57pm On Mar 03, 2023
Justbehave:
Nice you were speaking just for your self and not the Igbos. Only weak men gives birth to female kids only.
Keep deceiving yourself not every igbo man cares about Gender of child, you may care but a lot of us don't

1 Like

Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Efewestern: 5:10pm On Mar 03, 2023
Igboid:

An Igbo woman inheritance is with her husband.
She can inherit her father property only if she didn't marry.

No ethnic group in Nigeria spend more on personal development of their daughters than the Igbo. SE has the highest enrollment of females in JAMB exams.
The idea is not far fetched. She is going to her husband house to share the inheritance of her husband with the children she will bear for him, so she must be equipped to be able to fend for herself in a new kindred.

@ bolded. What happens when her father's side is more favourable than her husband's side? Shouldn't a woman be able to benefit from both side regardless of her marital status? There are benefits that comes with ancestral inheritance regardless of how equipped one is.

While this culture has its own good side, we can't really overlook the negative impact it has on the female child.

One thing I've come to realise is that most tribes in Nigeria differ greatly with the way they treat Men and Women. Us from across the Niger, You can't deny a Woman and her offspring her ancestral inheritance regardless of her marital status. Whatever you give the male, you must give the female. This too has its own advantages and disadvantages but I love the sense of self-worth and belongingness it brings to the female child.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by ogwumgbe: 5:14pm On Mar 03, 2023
okine4real:

Make you dey talk watin you self know fit do? You dey talk like say when your Daughter marry, she no go bear her husband name. Stop giving wrong advice. Even you, am sure if you are married, you already have Male children, so you just talking as if Male children means nothing meanwhile you have yours. Do you know what it means for you to make money, make good money and because you don't have Male children all your property in your village goes to your brothers or Uncles? Imagine you get properties worth 300M and above, and you don't have a Male child, do you know what will happen to those properties? Your brothers and Uncles go collect am, it becomes there own automatically, it's mostly so because even if you have female children, your female children would most likely marry into another State, eg you from Imo State and your Daughters marry from Lagos, Ogun Calabar, your Daughters can't be coming to Imo State anymore, so your brothers and your Uncle's go just dey happy, your Wife self go hear am for there hand.

If you don't have a male, whom would continue the Family name?

If my wife no get Male child as at now when I done hang boot, she go dey sweat for Yash. She go dey sweat for real..... How I go hustle Finish another person go come chop my hustle... And don't even bring that X and Y chromosome stuff, if a woman smart, she suppose no the right time to meet her husband so the chances of getting a Male child would be 80 percent. Meeting your man when you are in your OVULATION.

When you make money if like make you allow civilization take over you, when you become old, you will regret. I know many of them. Nothing like child na child, even Son when dey Mad dey born Son when dey normal and the linage continues. A male Son is very important OP.

One of your daughters can decide to get pregnant and remain in the family without marrying, it's called itu ime mkpuke and her male child will continue the family name, it's a culture in igbo land
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by folake4u(f): 5:24pm On Mar 03, 2023
Justbehave:
Yes because he is aware that your brother is not his biological son.

Last time I checked, your mother had you for the resident mad man in your village. You're exhibiting your father's mental issues.

I am not surprised. Okro must born okro.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by folake4u(f): 5:26pm On Mar 03, 2023
Senkasa:

That doesn't make the female any important in Igbo culture and Nigeria at large undecided

You are still second class gender tongue grin

Lmao. Please and please. Don't embarrass yourself. You failed your parents by wasting their funds on your education, that's if you had one anyways.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by sencekompis: 5:36pm On Mar 03, 2023
Ibos are BACKWARD folks, chey u no no ni ? Mostly does in the east tueee
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by charlsecy(m): 6:17pm On Mar 03, 2023
tosyne2much:
This life no balance at all. I have a female friend that has been childless for 9 years in marriage, looking for any gender as a child...
This is not an average example. A blind man would appreciate even it's one eye. Does that make having one eye ideal?

takeit123:
I'm suprised no one commented that, the male gender determines the sex of the child. The man should accept the fact that he's responsible for making male kids and he should not blame the innocent wife!
What if he sees another woman and the outcome is a male? Don't you think the female reproductive environment also plays a role?

bekpo:
it was longed abrogated by d supreme. Female child can now inherit their father.
Easier said than done.

1 Like

Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Justbehave(m): 6:40pm On Mar 03, 2023
folake4u:

Last time I checked, your mother had you for the resident mad man in your village. You're exhibiting your father's mental issues.

I am not surprised. Okro must born okro.
Lol. You are not wiser than your father so let's leave it that.
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by folake4u(f): 6:41pm On Mar 03, 2023
Justbehave:
Lol. You are not wiser than your father so let's leave it that.

Run along now. Try and take your meds too. wink

1 Like

Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by sharone21(f): 6:43pm On Mar 03, 2023
od501:

Not so fast ma'am. Please don't let the so called modern society fool you. Make children are very important in Igbo culture.

Aside from inheritance, and the need to continue the family name, it plays a major part when it comes to the defence of the family.

Yiu will never understand the responsibility of a man in Igbo land until you find yourself in one of such situation. There are wars a woman cannot fight hence, a male presence.

My sincere advice: give him that msle child if you know how to! Cos when such implication comes in the future, even you won't be safe.

Your husband NEEDS a male child. It is not about him being selfish, he needs it for security and relevance purposes.

Not in all cases...

A situation where there is only 1 guy out of 5 ladies, we ( ladies) do the defense in the family and hide my brother and God has been helping us.
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by SUPERPACK: 7:44pm On Mar 03, 2023
Adaobiii:

No be my fault that you can't read .
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by TheMostComplex1: 7:57pm On Mar 03, 2023
He has already told you his mind so pray to have Male children
Re: How Important Is A Son In Igbo Tribe by Denoh68: 8:07pm On Mar 03, 2023
Romanoff:
Hmmm.

Even if the man is woke, if his extended family isn't woke, I pray you have where to get male child guaranteed.

Cause in many cases I've seen, a wife who doesn't have a male child for her igbo husband is sitting on a one legged chair in that marriage.

It's even worse if the wife isn't a fellow Igbo woman. Igbo women can't inherit their father's property culturally and even when it comes to their husband's property, they are thrown out if they don't have a son.

OGA RIGHT FROM ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS, MALE CHILDREN ARE CONSIDERED MORE IMPORTANT THAN FEMALES. HERE ON NIGERIA, ALL THE TRIBES UPHOLD THE IMPORTANCE OF MALE CHILDREN,ANY WOMAN THAT DOESN'T HAVE A MALE CHILD IN ALL THE TRIBES OF NIGERIA IS CONSIDERED INFERIOR TO OTHER WOMEN WHO HAVE MALE CHILDREN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can This Generator Pump Water from a borehole Or Power My Medium Size Freezer? / I'm Beginning To Hate My Mom / Did You Ever Inherit Anything From Your Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.