Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,310 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN (58967 Views)

Redesigning Of Naira Notes: We Are Not Aware - Finance Minister / INEC Releases Statement On The Supreme Court Judgment On Zamfara Election / Current Justices Of The Supreme Court Of Nigeria : Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Spanki(f): 8:12pm On Mar 04, 2023
Rexxie234:
Tinubu may die before then shockedshocked(just speaking) Obi must take his rightful places as president, APC rigged this election. angry

I hate tinubu!!!

Which member of your family did he rape? What's all this hatred all about? Obi also tried, but BAT won. Simple as ABC! And stop wishing him death, It may backfire..
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Okiton: 8:13pm On Mar 04, 2023
Rexxie234:
Tinubu may die before then shockedshocked(just speaking) Obi must take his rightful places as president, APC rigged this election. angry

I hate tinubu!!!

Supported

My hate for Tunibu is limitless
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by vertueptime: 8:14pm On Mar 04, 2023
FreedomArmy:
So supreme court is now overseeing monetary policies in Nigeria? Wonders shall never end.
The daily limit on withdrawal is actually a good idea. This has drastically reduced kidnapping and other forms of criminal activities in the country.

Lawless human rice
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by ogunsbanjul(m): 8:14pm On Mar 04, 2023
Many of those who said Buhari will die before 2023 are already in the grave. My advice for you is to always THINK twice before endangering yourself spiritually. Jesus loves you. Just advising you ni o please.

Rexxie234:

I hate tinubu!!!
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Flame333: 8:17pm On Mar 04, 2023
Sammy07:
angry

May 30th, this guy should be in Jail.

Arrest him...

I watched India's case and I saw the government aimed at fighting terrorism and increasing the tax of the rich.. Most big guys in naija don't leave cash wealth in the bank just to avoid government knowing and charging them to pay more..

And you think to become the governor is a mere street pick that can be dealt with by any individual.. When you kill a mad man you will understand he has a family..

Emefiele is a Niger Delta man, go touch am..
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Blessed769(m): 8:19pm On Mar 04, 2023
That's sad...I just hope they come around and give us our money back..
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Eriokanmi: 8:20pm On Mar 04, 2023
scholarsfunding:
Tinubu will destroy this country. Bribing everybody up and down from INEC to supreme Court. Supreme Court don't hv business with monetary policy
Don't let me tell you what urchins won't like to hear. Wait until May 29th
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Illegal1(m): 8:21pm On Mar 04, 2023
We r watching...
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Flame333: 8:22pm On Mar 04, 2023
HellVictorinho7:
nonsense

That's all you could wrote with all the empty thing down the headies...
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by IfnobeGod20: 8:22pm On Mar 04, 2023
Neye412:

Can you make comments like someone who is educated? Whatever the monetary policy of CBN or fiscal policy by federal government that’s at variance with the provisions of the constitution becomes “ultra-vires, null and void “. We are practicing a constitutional democracy in which rule of law reigns supreme. No devilish Buhari or hydra headed devil Emefiele can do to vary or flout the judgement of the Apex Court that’s constitutionally empowered to interpret the law or better still saddled with the responsibility of interpretation of the constitution especially when it has to do with disagreement between states of the federation and the federal government. If Buhari flagrantly flouts the Supreme Court judgement, it will be a good ground for the National Assembly to institute an Impeachment proceedings against him.

For Emefiele, he will be jailed for “contempt” of the supreme court. Same applies to Mallami, the minister of justice.
The question now is, if the president erred in law by giving definite directive to CBN without consulting the council of states for the expiration of the old naira notes, does supreme court have powers to make same definite pronouncement on when the old naira notes will no more legal tender? Which section of the law empowers them? Because I don't think there is any section of the constitution that says December 23 shall always be the date for the expiration of any naira notes if the nation want to change its money.
What I expected the supreme court to do is to void the president directive and ask the president to follow the law and not giving directive on monetary policy. I don't think it is within supreme court purview.

3 Likes

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by 12Monkeys: 8:23pm On Mar 04, 2023
FreedomArmy:
So supreme court is now overseeing monetary policies in Nigeria? Wonders shall never end.
The daily limit on withdrawal is actually a good idea. This has drastically reduced kidnapping and other forms of criminal activities in the country.

Idiot, the CBN can not act around the constitution and laws of the land.

Fool

1 Like

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by famology(m): 8:23pm On Mar 04, 2023
Rexxie234:

I hate tinubu!!!

Buhari is still alive and fresh
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by wolebest: 8:26pm On Mar 04, 2023
References1:

https://thenationonlineng.net/no-information-on-supreme-court-ruling-says-cbn/

No qualms Monday 6th of March, 2023 is around the corner GOD sparing our lives.

Nigerians shall overcome........

The judgement of GOD here on Earth or in Heaven awaits those who have refused to retract the cash swap policy.
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Gbemini(m): 8:26pm On Mar 04, 2023
Rexxie234:

I hate tinubu!!!
may be the same tinubu will even witnessed your burial ceremony fool
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by famology(m): 8:27pm On Mar 04, 2023
EmieWEREH hand go meet u soon
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by gassbee: 8:28pm On Mar 04, 2023
Somebody is playing with jail
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by koning: 8:29pm On Mar 04, 2023
FreedomArmy:

The Supreme Court has no business in this matter.

The CBN is 100% in charge of how we bank or don't bank in Nigeria. The money deposit banks are right in waiting for an official directive from the CBN.
They cannot act on online news reports.

2 Likes

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by IgOga(m): 8:30pm On Mar 04, 2023
opalu:
Lol Jokers All
ObiDatti is coming

If everyone dey disobey supreme court then OBIDATTI will not come....they will simply disobey the court order......

All Nigerians must put pressure on CBN and Buhari to obey the courts
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by ALABACONNECT(m): 8:30pm On Mar 04, 2023
Now the wahala begins.

Well, for your UK used and new smart tv sets and soundbars, check my signature
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by olancho: 8:33pm On Mar 04, 2023
This is what you get when you have nonentities as governors. Supreme Court has no business in this matter. CBN has power to do what they did. Let's see if they will respect the judgement. I don't know why experienced lawyers are not contributing to this matter by telling public the truth. Greedy governors have lost all the money they looted.

1 Like

Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by mezebel(f): 8:34pm On Mar 04, 2023
emefele you don Truelly mefele( you don do pass)

anyways! supreme court has no right over monetary policies
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by bowee4u: 8:40pm On Mar 04, 2023
They don't honor the legal system
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by FireUpNow(m): 8:40pm On Mar 04, 2023
Sammy07:
angry

Don't you think some very powerful people are behind him?
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by 0monnak0da: 8:42pm On Mar 04, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

The question now is, if the president erred in law by giving definite directive to CBN without consulting the council of states for the expiration of the old naira notes, does supreme court have powers to make same definite pronouncement on when the old naira notes will no more legal tender? Which section of the law empowers them? Because I don't think there is any section of the constitution that says December 23 shall always be the date for the expiration of any naira notes if the nation want to change its money.
What I expected the supreme court to do is to void the president directive and ask the president to follow the law and not giving directive on monetary policy. I don't think it is within supreme court purview.

Once the Supreme Court speaks in a democracy there are no questions otherwise we don't have a democracy
There is nothing to debate
What you expect is irrelevant once the Supreme Court speaks
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by KeyEndurance: 8:43pm On Mar 04, 2023
my question is that are they collecting old not yes or no? i dont have time for all this long gist
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Asour: 8:44pm On Mar 04, 2023
scholarsfunding:
Tinubu will destroy this country. Bribing everybody up and down from INEC to supreme Court. Supreme Court don't hv business with monetary policy

The Supreme court CAN rule on any matter brought before it.

The Supreme court has in the past ruled on Lands & boundary issues.
Are they experts in geology or Land surveying?

Hahaha.

You think the Supreme court only sits on Election adjudication?
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by michoim(m): 8:44pm On Mar 04, 2023
Sammy07:
angry

I hope so
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by 0monnak0da: 8:45pm On Mar 04, 2023
olancho:
This is what you get when you have nonentities as governors. Supreme Court has no business in this matter. CBN has power to do what they did. Let's see if they will respect the judgement. I don't know why experienced lawyers are not contributing to this matter by telling public the truth. Greedy governors have lost all the money they looted.
So if Tinubu is sworn in and the Supreme Court says he should go and he says the Supreme Court has no business in the matter you will support it?
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by Emdebby2: 8:46pm On Mar 04, 2023
When will all these drama end?
Re: New Naira Notes: We Have No Information On The Supreme Court Ruling - CBN by BreconHills(m): 8:48pm On Mar 04, 2023
IfnobeGod20:

Please where did scholarsfunding said the president should have unlimited power? You have added lie to your comment. You can go back and copy to show me where he said so.

To the main issue. The supreme court said the president has not right to give such directive until he consult council of states. Not FEC and not NASS. Let me quickly correct that.
Now, if the president need to consult council of states before he can give directive to change of naira notes and mopping of naira notes from the system. Then, where does the supreme court derive their powers to give a blanket date for when the old notes will no more be legal tender. It means the supreme court has taken upon itself to be the president, CBN and the council of states altogether. Please where do they derive such powers from to set date for Nigerian money not to be legal tender any more. This is a purely monetary policy and not interpretation of law. I think the supreme court goofed on their ruling. They did not interpret only the law but go emotional about it. They've gone to do the work of president, CBN and council of states.

This is NOT monetary policy. Monetary policy has well established ways of mopping up excess cash. If you issue a bond at an attractive rate it will mop up currency. If you adjust bank reserve limits upwards, it will mop up currency.

This is not a currency change because in a currency change as the name implies one swaps old notes for new. This is naira confiscation because it deprives account holders access to their funds and undermines the relationship between the bank and the account holder. Every account holder has the right to withdraw his money in part or on whole from any commercial bank ON DEMAND. This right has been taken away - by what authority or what legislation?

Btw any court can make an orders or such ancillary orders as to give effect to his judgement. So the putting of a date on the currency swap period is well within the authority of the court.

Re my putting words in the mouth of the original poster. The original poster implied that the SC had no jurisdiction over the actions of the President because they relate to monetary policy. Sorry, but the Court has a right to hear cases brought before it. Secondly where any office holder holding power under the Constitution has their powers or the extent of those powers questioned then the court can decide if the said official or person has acted ultra vires or outside the scope of those powers.

In the President case, no President has the power to place limits on how much an account holder can take from his own account unless it is under emergency powers or an amendment of the CBN Act.

Anyone questioning the right of the Supreme Court to question the limits of a duly elected person's authority is a closet fascist who supports executive tyranny.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Photos; Bukola Saraki Poses With The Elected Principal Officers Of The Senate / Dino Melaye Buys A 2015 Slingshot - Sahara Reporters / Olusegun Obasanjo Hosts Peter Obi At His Otta Farm Residence. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.